Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

the_steve posted:

Same.

That and the scene where Sin Eaters are attacking and he tries to fight one only to ghost right through it and he's forced to watch people get killed because he's powerless to do anything.

I legit got teary eyed just remembering that scene, and very vividly remember yelling at my computer "Do it! loving let him hit that thing!"

I was incredibly impressed by that scene because almost any story would have Ardbert able to get through and be heard and warn the soldiers, but Shadowbringers refused to pull the punch.

Impressed and also traumatised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

SirSamVimes posted:

I was incredibly impressed by that scene because almost any story would have Ardbert able to get through and be heard and warn the soldiers, but Shadowbringers refused to pull the punch.

"We did everything right! Everything that was asked of us and still... and still it came to this!"

Endwalker has one Hell of a bar to clear, I look forward to seeing what they come up with.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

SirSamVimes posted:

I always wonder: how many years did he last before he just stopped trying?

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

sexpig by night posted:

That and, for some reason, finding out if you go back to Eulmore and talk to Dulia-Chai her first reaction is to gush about how she hopes Alphinaud is okay and recovering well and all got to me. The Chais are such a genuine and wholesome part of a very grim and tragic setting.

Their rehabilitation is one of the strongest parts of the expansion's messaging and a clumsier narrative would've tried to force them further into the spotlight. They're pretty great.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Ironslave posted:

Their rehabilitation is one of the strongest parts of the expansion's messaging and a clumsier narrative would've tried to force them further into the spotlight. They're pretty great.

I've reached the point now where I want them to stop clubbing poor Gaius. But I got a bad feeling about Diamond.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Ironslave posted:

yea a weaker story would have put them in the center stage as a way to kinda whitewash any lasting issues as if all the people needed was just the Warrior of Darkness to be all 'stop being bad', but instead they use them just right to contrast with some of the most hopeless situations in the story and show 'there's a lot to be done still and nothing's magically fixed, but there's good people here just like in our world, and we need to trust them to do the right thing'.

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

Was just thinking about the Ardbert/Seto reunion in 5.3. I don’t think anything in this game has made me break harder than that cutscene. Just rewatched it and it broke me all over again.

Honestly it broke me harder than like anything in any media ever haha, I'm sure I confused my poor cats by immediately seeking them out for some sobbing pettings. The other big one that got me was Ardbert crossing the bridge to his friends in the credits of 5.0. They handled Ardbert so well over the story, it actually gave me much more of a visceral reaction when Elidibus started puppeting him around. That's *my* mirror universe guy, dope!

On a completely different tangent one of the other things I loved about Shadowbringers is how legit terrifying the faeries are. After Dohn Mheg and the cutscene where they gently caress up Ran'jit's business I was like holy poo poo, I'm glad they're on our side.

And while I'm looking back on the expansion I enjoyed the Sorrow of Werlyt stuff much more than I expected, since I usually don't give a gently caress about mechs. I loved all the scenes with your character piloting G-Warrior, and that they put dev time into a hangar that exists just to take glamour shots and look at pointless stats. Like someone on the dev team obviously loves this poo poo and it came through haha

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Chomposaur posted:

And while I'm looking back on the expansion I enjoyed the Sorrow of Werlyt stuff much more than I expected, since I usually don't give a gently caress about mechs. I loved all the scenes with your character piloting G-Warrior, and that they put dev time into a hangar that exists just to take glamour shots and look at pointless stats. Like someone on the dev team obviously loves this poo poo and it came through haha

The G-Warrior is a Gundam, and if I've learned abything about Gundams from building gunpla it's that it's all about posing and looking at pointless stats.

Speaking of: for Sky Deck the G-Warrior looks like he's being built into a Dendobrium, which is rad. And Diamond is still hard to completely read, but it looks like he might be the Psycho Gundam from Zeta!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpkP0zgR08c

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

My prayers that G Warrior is our entry point to Xenogears crossovers.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Harlock posted:

My prayers that G Warrior is our entry point to Xenogears crossovers.

We have worse problems than Xenogears if Fandaniel decides to drive a piling in Dalmasca and we wind up with Lunar Ultima. :cenobite:

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

sexpig by night posted:

yea a weaker story would have put them in the center stage as a way to kinda whitewash any lasting issues as if all the people needed was just the Warrior of Darkness to be all 'stop being bad', but instead they use them just right to contrast with some of the most hopeless situations in the story and show 'there's a lot to be done still and nothing's magically fixed, but there's good people here just like in our world, and we need to trust them to do the right thing'.

The point of the Chais is absolutely not that they're good people--the entire game frequently rebels against the idea of being able to categorize people as good and bad. Our introduction to them was how they threw an artist from two stories into the ocean because they didn't think much of his work and when it's brought up in your first meeting with them, if I remember right, Chai-Nuzz laughs about it. And their transition into being better people isn't filled with much depth either--it mostly comes about as a result of Dulia-Chai doting on Alphinaud and Chai-Nuzz being devoted to his wife.

But that they go from decadent monsters to leaders in trying to make the world better, and the simplicity of their recognition and reasons for doing so (having people in their lives they care about) is a good underscore to a lot of what Shadowbringers and the game itself is about.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Ironslave posted:

The point of the Chais is absolutely not that they're good people--the entire game frequently rebels against the idea of being able to categorize people as good and bad. Our introduction to them was how they threw an artist from two stories into the ocean because they didn't think much of his work and when it's brought up in your first meeting with them, if I remember right, Chai-Nuzz laughs about it. And their transition into being better people isn't filled with much depth either--it mostly comes about as a result of Dulia-Chai doting on Alphinaud and Chai-Nuzz being devoted to his wife.

But that they go from decadent monsters to leaders in trying to make the world better, and the simplicity of their recognition and reasons for doing so (having people in their lives they care about) is a good underscore to a lot of what Shadowbringers and the game itself is about.

It's also... rather a clever use of their development resources, honestly.

Selling a serious and considered look into how a place like Eulmore could come to be, and how it could be turned around, was just not something the game had the room to give oxygen to; we've seen from Ishgard, Doma, and Ala Mhigo that depicting a serious and believable societal restructuring is absolutely something they can do, but it takes at least a few patches, if not a dedicated reconstruction subplot (and even all that's sometimes not enough for some people, judging by people still mad at Hien). Shadowbringers doesn't have time for that; it's got its leading plot to wrap up, and then it has to wrap up every single loose end on the First because the story's sure as gently caress not going BACK, and then it's got three Ascians to kill, and THEN it's gotta write you back into the game's main plot in a way that doesn't feel like anyone's got nothing to show for it.

But what it does have room for is a couple personal stories of redemption. So let's treat Eulmore using that; provide some good redemption arcs to people who live there, and use it as representative of the city itself.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Ironslave posted:

I mean, Nuzz's entire arc is him wanting to do more than just be an idle rich type once he realizes how horrible the society that let him live like that was, while I agree FF rejects the inherent 'good/bad people' labels as some cosmic force of morality I think it's fair to say the Chais are meant to represent the best hope for the wealthy and powerful of Eulmore. Like, the fact that their transition comes from entirely personal relations rather than a genuine revelation is kinda the point, they did live in that society for as long as they did never questioning it and then they explicitly say 'yea man I wish I could say Not-Jabba in charge cast a magic spell on us to brainwash us but nah we just liked having wealth and power in a lovely world'. They're not meant to be some noble figures of absolute virtue but I think it's fair to say their arc is one of becoming good after life of supporting the worst.

Like, when FF rejects the idea of good and bad people it doesn't reject it as a moral value entirely it rejects INHERENT goodness or badness. Nothing about any given person, even the cosmic forces like Primals and Ascians, is 'naturally' good or bad in the D&D style of 'Orcs are an evil race' poo poo but I think it's pretty uncontroversial to say even if the game did a fantastic job of humanizing an ageless and near divine being like him, Emet was still a 'bad person' in the story.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Mordiceius posted:

Was just thinking about the Ardbert/Seto reunion in 5.3. I don’t think anything in this game has made me break harder than that cutscene. Just rewatched it and it broke me all over again.

I'm just pissed that Seto doesn't let you ride him after that scene. The father of dragons lets me ride him around like a horse because I solved the dragon war, show some gratitude Seto.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

stev posted:

I'm just pissed that Seto doesn't let you ride him after that scene. The father of dragons lets me ride him around like a horse because I solved the dragon war, show some gratitude Seto.

To be fair, if you summon Middy in his minion form, he'll ride you around. It's a back and forth deal you guys have.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Midgarsormr is some kind of alien reptile god, Seto is an old flying camel, cut the dude a break.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea middy's down to ride still because he's some kind of crazy space lizard, let Seto retire in peace you monsters :argh:

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

For real. Read the short story. He mostly lays around and barely has the strength to fly himself.

Just level your everythings to 80 and get a young one that's willing to put up with you.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

how many centuries do I have to wait before it'll talk back to me though

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Vitamean posted:

That's the great thing about being The Traveler. You have the time.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Vitamean posted:

Just go visit Alexander

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Get your shared fates to max level and get the babby amaro too, full amaro immersion

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Imagine seeing Seto and thinking "I wanna ride him" instead of wanting to help him groom and give him a bath and give him headpats.

Spruchy
May 12, 2013

I am not a machine. I feel and believe. I have opinions. Some of them are interesting. I could, if you would let me, talk and talk. Let us talk about anything.
I'm nearing the end of Heavensward MSQ (pre-3.1 stuff) and really liking it. Simultaneously levelling a Dragoon and Samurai has been fun even though I know I'm picking up Gunbreaker at 60 and never looking back.

I did miss my 25 min duty finder for the library this morning in the one minute I alt-tabbed to do some research on the Dancer class. Whoops.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
lol I do the same thing all the time. "Oh I'm three minutes into an expected 10 minute wait? Time to go get coffee!" Come back in 90- seconds to find my penalty has ticked up by 1.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

You can set it up so system sounds still play when not in focus, so you hear the roulette pop even when alt-tabbed

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Control Volume posted:

You can set it up so system sounds still play when not in focus, so you hear the roulette pop even when alt-tabbed

Yeah but then it will give you a heart attack or you'll hear other things when not needed.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
XIVLauncher can let *only* the roulette ready sound through in the background and also flash the game icon on your taskbar

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
I'm on PS4, so I try and remember to take the controller with me. I get to play the game of "At what distance does it lose connection?" Otherwise I hear the chime and the loud rear end vibration scares the poo poo out of me.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
So I'm sitting here putting string between pushpins on Endwalker, because I have little better to do until all hell breaks loose next week.

Does anyone else get the distinct feeling that the Heart of Sabik, or objects like it, are more important to the plot than we might have initially been led to believe?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I always thought it was going to be important, and it's more or less unexplained at this point. Just seems weird they'd namedrop some ancient artifact of unlimited power and then just ignore it.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Gearhead posted:

So I'm sitting here putting string between pushpins on Endwalker, because I have little better to do until all hell breaks loose next week.

Does anyone else get the distinct feeling that the Heart of Sabik, or objects like it, are more important to the plot than we might have initially been led to believe?

I mean they'd been sitting on an accurate description of the Fall of Amaurot and the End of Days in a paragraph blurb describing the prehistory of the world in one of the lorebooks for years. I mean I'd be surprised to see the Heart of Sabik come into play but I wouldn't put it past them.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm honestly surprised the Heart of Sabik hasn't come up in the Weapon questlines. You'd think it would've been a big deal, at least as a design struggle to overcome, how to replace something like THAT.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Cleretic posted:

I'm honestly surprised the Heart of Sabik hasn't come up in the Weapon questlines. You'd think it would've been a big deal, at least as a design struggle to overcome, how to replace something like THAT.

Hell, wouldn't the Ascians be the only ones who DO understand how it works?
Granted that's assuming they were the ones who made it and it wasn't something the Allagans salvaged when Middy and Omega crashed onto the planet.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

the_steve posted:

Hell, wouldn't the Ascians be the only ones who DO understand how it works?
Granted that's assuming they were the ones who made it and it wasn't something the Allagans salvaged when Middy and Omega crashed onto the planet.
There was, ah, a previous "impact from the skies" incident before the Midgardsormr/Omega Power Hour.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

The Weapon BGM tracks do still seem to be quite excited for the Heart of Sabik.

Granted that's a carryover from regular Ultima Weapon, but it's notable enough.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
the fact that auracite is a valid replacement for the heart of sabik when it comes to the other weapons is absolutely going to be tied into whatever happens with the heart itself. we now know the crystal tower is made out of it too, and I wouldn't be surprised if those new towers were as well. there'll be a big explanation for what exactly it is/where it comes from/the outer limits of what it can do I'm sure.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Speaking of artifacts of unknown origin, do we know anything about the Tupsimati and where it came from? It seems stupid strong for something Louisoix just had lying around.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

WrightOfWay posted:

Speaking of artifacts of unknown origin, do we know anything about the Tupsimati and where it came from? It seems stupid strong for something Louisoix just had lying around.

Treasure of Sharlayan, unknown origin. The stone tablets with the symbol of Thaliak and the horn are the parts that make it work, and it's basically an aether siphon, similar to how a Primal works. Sucks up all the juice in the surrounding area and focuses it into whatever you're doing with it. I don't think it's ever going to be explained any more than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Mister Olympus posted:

the fact that auracite is a valid replacement for the heart of sabik when it comes to the other weapons is absolutely going to be tied into whatever happens with the heart itself. we now know the crystal tower is made out of it too, and I wouldn't be surprised if those new towers were as well. there'll be a big explanation for what exactly it is/where it comes from/the outer limits of what it can do I'm sure.

The Crystal Tower seems to be an Allagan attempt to create something similar to the core function of how they used the Heart, as a massive aether battery, but the mechanism for how it did that is uncertain.

Sabik is one of the stars in the constellation Ophiucus, specifically Eta Ophiucus, this kinda hints that not only did the Ascians make it, they made it after Zodiark was summoned and it seems to have at least one of the functions of Auracite. It's a powerful aether battery. But it uses that aether to drive the use of a spell so destructive (and demanding) that a normal spellcaster can't use it: Ultima. In fact, we have never seen an Ascian use a spell on Ultima's order either, so this might have been an attempt to create a weapon that could deliver a blast even an Amurotian couldn't perform.

Another interesting bit. In the fallout of Ultima, there wasn't any of the typical 'dissolved into aether and then recrystallized' debris we normally associate with truly horrible blasts in setting. It could be that Ultima was a study in how big an explosion you could make before you started to dissolve things down into their component energies. The largest theoretical, conventional explosion before reality itself starts noping out on you.

Ultima the Space Monster who became a Primal was named for the Ultima magic. At some point in history, lost to us at this time, the Heart of Sabik was used for its most obvious purpose, as a dispenser of extremely large explosions. And it was used so prevalently that the word Ultima may as well have been a word for the end of the world.

Perhaps the angle that the trial vs Diamond is a capture mission will be extremely important: We want to see what one of these things looks like, and how it works, before we beat the poo poo out of it... And hopefully bring at least one of Gaius' children back to him alive. (Seriously, guys, the man is suffering enough.)