Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saoshyant

:hmmorks: :orks:

teen witch posted:

I need to see if it’ll work for everyone, how did it go on Wednesday and what did y’all do?

If it's up on Youtube and without region restrictions/age limits we can use it directly as if it was Cytube. Otherwise, we'll have to source a copy and stream it. If we are doing the latter and you don't have good enough upload speed for that sort of thing I can stream it from my end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch

Saoshyant posted:

If it's up on Youtube and without region restrictions/age limits we can use it directly as if it was Cytube. Otherwise, we'll have to source a copy and stream it. If we are doing the latter and you don't have good enough upload speed for that sort of thing I can stream it from my end.

it’s on YouTube in full (even with a neat Japanese laserdisc version!) so I’ll test it later on the ‘iscord

Saoshyant

Okay, so the steps are: on Discord, get on one of the voice channels (we have been using #trashed crew), click Activities and then Youtube.

awesome spring sig by RavenousScoot

teen witch

Saoshyant posted:

Okay, so the steps are: on Discord, get on one of the voice channels (we have been using #trashed crew), click Activities and then Youtube.

so same as I did last weekend I believe

Saoshyant

teen witch posted:

so same as I did last weekend I believe

Oh, right, yeah. Forgot about that :doh:

teen witch

Saoshyant posted:

Oh, right, yeah. Forgot about that :doh:

I thought we were FRIENDS

Saoshyant

Tonight we are watching TW's pick Radioactive Dreams:

From that poster alone you can tell it's going to be bizarre and potentially 80's as hell.

quote:

After a nuclear war, Phillip Hammer and Marlowe Chandler have spent fifteen years on their own in a bunker, stuffed with junk from the 40s and old detective novels. Now, nineteen-years-old, they leave their shelter to find a world full of mutants, freaks, and cannibals. They become famous detectives in the struggle for the two keys that could fire the last nuclear weapon

BYOB Discord, #trashed crew channel, 4pm PDT / 7pm EDT / 23:00 UTC

teen witch
I may do a few short weird vids prior but that’s tbd

the movie ITSELF will start at that time, either a peculiar rip I found or the Japanese laserdisc rip (leaning towards that…)

Snuff Melange

...some men,
you just can't reach.

not sure if I can make tonight but can I get a discord invite :pray:

best bale

Snuff Melange posted:

not sure if I can make tonight but can I get a discord invite :pray:

same. please

Saoshyant

best bale posted:

same. please

Uh, who are you again?

Saoshyant

Well, Radioactive Dreamers was certainly a trip. We have seen messy movies, we have seen ambitious movies, and we have even seen pretty hard 80's music themed movies, but nothing that mixes all of those things soooooo loving hard.

It's like 200% ideas, 300% kickass 80's music (buttrock and power ballads) all the time, and 70% execution.

Also, I'll never forget you, Elvis Kids Ultra Swearing Gang. Thanks so much for picking this one, TW!

Leraika

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I ended up coming in late but I'm definitely gonna watch it on my own time. There's a particular aesthetic that's like catnip to me and Radioactive Dreamers is it.

Saoshyant

Also, just checked and the DVD copy has a different ending song and doesn't feature the bollywood dancing ending that the Laserdisc extended edition got :japan:. I kinda suspected as much because it was way too silly for even everything else that happened in the film.

best bale

Saoshyant posted:

Uh, who are you again?

my bad, I thought anyone could join

Saoshyant

best bale posted:

my bad, I thought anyone could join

Our movie nights have for the past two years (or so) been on a place called Cytube, it was a public site. However, they became unable to use the Youtube API (though that seems to have changed again yesterday, I'll keep an eye out if it stays stable), so we had to move to the Discord. The BYOB Discord is not open for everyone, though, just our subforum regulars.

I appreciate your interest and I'll PM you if we manage to go back to Cytube again at some point.

Also, that movie's soundtrack really kicked so much rear end I had to go out and buy it:

This is the Spanish release which has an extra song not available elsewhere apparently. There's still one copy of it available on Ebay if you are insane, too.

Manifisto

clarification, anyone can request access to movie nite in the discord, it was in no way inappropriate to make the request. I had actually sent discord invites to people who requested it yesterday. the final location of movie nites is still a bit in flux however, as sao mentions!

also, yeah yesterday's movie kicked all the butts, it had a gloriously and self-awarely over the top 1980s music video aesthetic and a plot that nobody could actually figure out, though keys were apparently an important macguffin

ty nesamdoom!

Saoshyant

This Wednesday! The Untouchables, the 1987 romanticized adaptation of Al Capone's takedown with a mindboggling ensemble cast of Kevin Costner, Sean Connery, Robert De Niro, Andy Garcia and Patricia Clarkson. It's a violent crime drama, cinematic and entertaining throughout.

And to keep the ole time theme going we'll have some classic Looney Tunes shorts about 30 minutes before the movie starts, so feel free to show up earlier if you are up for those too!

Tomorrow, BYOB Discord #trashed crew channel at 4pm PDT / 7pm EDT / 23:00 UTC

Murdstone

I'm feeling Jimmy

Fantastic theme by Ennio Morricone in that one too.

Squirrels2Nuts

comedere nuces omni tempore

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Saoshyant

Murdstone posted:

Fantastic theme by Ennio Morricone in that one too.

:hai:

That's today! Be there or be square 'cause all the cool kids will attend! If anyone needs access to the BYOB Discord you can PM the local friendly mod Manifisto.

teen witch
do I continue freak weekend? freekend?

if something has been planned I ain’t stepping, go for it

Saoshyant

I had an animated movie from 2006 called Paprika as a suggestion by Leraika, but I suppose it can be pushed for next week so we get the hat trick of Freak Weekend.

teen witch
nope! if you want to go ahead nbd, I don’t want to intrude

Plant MONSTER.

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
I wouldn't mind a funny freak flick for tomorrow. I love Paprika - one of my favorite films, even! But it's a big brains movie

Saoshyant

The people (so many!) have spoken, so freaky weekend it is. What is the movie, TW?

teen witch
uhm

teen witch

teen witch
I am going to check if we can watch freaked - 1993

e: not with the YouTube tool on Discord, so perhaps cytube?

e: cytube works! if we’re down for cytube then let’s!

teen witch fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jul 14, 2023

Manifisto

teen witch posted:

I am going to check if we can watch freaked - 1993

e: not with the YouTube tool on Discord, so perhaps cytube?

e: cytube works! if we’re down for cytube then let’s!

cytube good w/me, but I am not the Decider of these things

ty nesamdoom!

Saoshyant

Weird that it would work with one but not the other. I say we give Cytube a try then to check if it's feasible to use long term again. We are still deciding where to land anyway.

Saoshyant

Tomorrow! It's Freaked (1993)

A movie starring both Brooke Shields and Mr T, an unconventional duo if I ever saw one. And Keanu Reeves is a dog in this too (somehow).

Here's the plot in brief: A vain actor, his best friend, and an activist end up at a mutant freak farm run by a weirdo scientist.

Saturday, 4pm PDT / 7pm EDT / 23:00 UTC at the old place in Cytube: https://cytu.be/r/BYOBmovies

Saoshyant

That's today in just a few minutes! Join us in Cytube, we are already putting in some shorts.

teen witch
the final freakend has started

Saoshyant

Well, that was... freakish :laugh:

Great movie, though, super fun! Like a whole 90's Nickelodeon cartoon turned into a real life flick full of non-stop gags.

Saoshyant

Next stop, Paprika! This Wednesday we will continue to go over people's favorites and watch this animated film from 2006 about a therapist who enters people's dreams. Expect a crazy amount of wild scenes and complete bonkers visuals.

Also, shorts! Thirty minutes before the usual time, we'll be watching this super adorable stop motion series about Guinea Pig Cars, Pui Pui Molcar! It's one of the most adorable things you'll ever see.

We are back on the BYOB Discord, #trashed crew channel, 4pm PDT / 7pm EDT / 23:00 UTC for the main feature, but show up half an hour earlier to watch felt guinea pigs!

Saoshyant

That's today, shorts starting now!

Xamboni
Can I get an invite to the Discord?

DeadMansSuspenders

I wanna be your left hand man

That movie has some crazy scenes. Definitely worth a watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant

And now, for something completely different, as Favorites Month arrives at a small Classic Doctor Who marathon!

This is Tom Baker, the fourth doctor, and we will be watching The Ark in Space.

For those not familiar, Doctor Who is a beloved British sci-fi series, rather silly, low budget, and following a quirky, shapeshifting alien called "The Doctor" who loves to hang out at Earth, dealing with the paranormal and other alien invaders. Four episodes (around 25 minutes each) compose an arc at about a normal movie's length.

We will also have a short before the main feature, one episode of my favorite British cartoon, Count Duckula, the vegetarian but born a vampire fellow, who's obsessed with quick fame.

This Saturday, on BYOB Discord, #trashed crew channel, 4pm PDT / 7pm EDT / 23:00 UTC for the main feature, or half an hour earlier for Duckula