Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So it looks like Cygames was outsourced for this episode. The first half of it was quite fun but the second half felt kinda wonky to me. Like, I know that Laios can handle himself around canines but it really felt like they just dipped on him and then had a pretty calm conversation while a ten-foot long wolf was chasing them.

The new footage in the credits roll. Was that last shot of the spellbook from Marcille's nightmare always there or was it added with the Izutsumi artwork?

Best part of the episode was obviously Sexy Senshi.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 23:50 on May 16, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

DrSunshine posted:

Let's all sing the Marcilleaise.

There’s a few academics I listen to that pronounce ‘Cro-Magnon’ like filet mignon and it flips my poo poo.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:

Snooze Cruise posted:

quote this post if you believe farcille is life!

:yeah:

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Arc Hammer posted:

The new footage in the credits roll. Was that last shot of the spellbook from Marcille's nightmare always there or was it added with the Izutsumi artwork?

The spellbook was always there

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

The spellbook was always there

Wouldn't have paid it any mind until last episode. Now I'm noticing it and wondering how it'll come back eventually. It can't be the last shot of an ED without being significant in some way.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Snooze Cruise posted:

quote this post if you believe farcille is life!

!!

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

This episode was good but it felt odd? The blizzard sort of just disappeared and they were in a lush areas suddenly.

I am warming up to Izutsumi though. She seems fun.

Also Laios’ being blindfolded killed me

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Bread Set Jettison posted:

This episode was good but it felt odd? The blizzard sort of just disappeared and they were in a lush areas suddenly.

The dungeon is just like that. Each biome isn't really connected to the next, I mean there's completely dry levels under a giant underground lake.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I would first ask how in the heck do you even have a blizzard underground. Like, where is the snow falling from? Magic.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Blahhh

https://x.com/MACR0NUS/status/1791142757475426647

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

So it looks like Cygames was outsourced for this episode. The first half of it was quite fun but the second half felt kinda wonky to me. Like, I know that Laios can handle himself around canines but it really felt like they just dipped on him and then had a pretty calm conversation while a ten-foot long wolf was chasing them.

Best part of the episode was obviously Sexy Senshi.

Thats how the chapter was in the manga.

Also Laios handled it in the most Laios way.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Clarste posted:

It really feels like they should have switched the Nightmare chapter with the Izutsumi intro chapter. Because now it's like we just forgot about her for half an episode and now we're focusing on her.

I agree it felt weird last ep to introduce Itsuzumi and then immediately shift focus off of her but I'm also not sure where you'd move the chapter to and still have it make narrative sense without totally rewriting it. Blame Ryoko Kui.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
https://x.com/Yuyucow/status/1791141483791212778

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
tbf she's also effective in combat and probably a better rogue than chilichuck when she sets her mind to it

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:killing:
A terrible cat who sucks. (laudatory)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Alan Smithee posted:

tbf she's also effective in combat and probably a better rogue than chilichuck when she sets her mind to it

Chilchuck is good at ranged weapons but the party hired him for lockpicking!— he shouts while hiding.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Alan Smithee posted:

In fairness, Chilchuck isn’t a rogue. He’s a locksmith. We have no indication Izutsumi knows poo poo about locks or traps, just stab and sneak.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
Chilchuck is the rogue who handles trap detection, lockpicking, and being the party face

Izutsumi is the rogue who handles dodge tanking, backstabs, and stealth

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

SC6 character creator still blows me away

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

Alan Smithee posted:

In interviews, Ryoko Kui has said the most she knew about video games before she started the series was watching her dad play the Wizardry series as a child. There is a Ninja class in those game and it's pretty clear she based the party roles off the classes from Wizardry.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

https://twitter.com/chunafishy/status/1790971622478021073?t=Sx5wn2pivw2Tnclj7R785A&s=19

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I agree it felt weird last ep to introduce Itsuzumi and then immediately shift focus off of her but I'm also not sure where you'd move the chapter to and still have it make narrative sense without totally rewriting it. Blame Ryoko Kui.

I mean, you could just swap the two halves of episode 19, introduce Izutsumi at the end of the episode, and erase her from the background during the clams. Not like she does anything there.

Edit: Er, never mind, I completely forgot that 18 led into 19.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 05:10 on May 17, 2024

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

but then she won't get to eat clams

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The ingredients require continuity.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

okay but what's the meshi answer to dollar fitty hot dog and fountain drink

Lazy Fair
Sep 23, 2019
I take Chulchuck's role in the party as having it's roots in Bilbo being the party "burglar" in the Hobbit.

In a typical dungeon expedition he's there to facilitate making the venture profitable. His role has been outlined so far to pick locks, disarm traps, locate and open secret passages, map and navigate the dungeon, make use of his superior hearing/ect, and get out of the way as soon as fighting starts with the exception of his bow he seems to have recovered this episode. This role is also not unique, as Mickbell seems to do the exact same thing for Kabru's party, and it was mentioned there's an entire half-foot labor union for this. Even the newbie party of adventurers in episode 1 getting chased down by a walking mushroom had a half-foot with them.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

unfair to chilichuck

bilbo got knocked out before he could stab anything with sting

chilichuck blinded a dragon before getting knocked out

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Huh, I was looking up Barometz since I was only vaguely familiar with them, and:

quote:

The creature grown from the melon-like seeds described was said to grow to 2.5 ft (0.76 m), resembling a lamb in most ways except a few. It was said to have blood, but not true flesh, as it more closely resembled that of a crab.

Apparently "tastes like crab" is part of the legend.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Barometz carcinization would make eating crab a funner experience

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

logger posted:

In interviews, Ryoko Kui has said the most she knew about video games before she started the series was watching her dad play the Wizardry series as a child. There is a Ninja class in those game and it's pretty clear she based the party roles off the classes from Wizardry.

This is also sorta reflected in the dungeon itself. In Wizardry the entire game is built around just the one big dungeon, with different environments inside it- and some other CRPGs do the same, following that tradition (in particular in Japan where the Wizardry series was huge.) It's even a thing in tabletop games too, the "Megadungeon", though most games of D&D and such will spread them out and have a party traveling across the world, etc.

The dungeon having a lot of weird environments that don't seem to go together is kinda fitting in that light. In Megadungeons there's a lot of "And level 8 is a vast underground oasis overgrown with weird trees fed by an artificial sun"

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Its funny how much of DM's DNA is Wizardy is once you start examining it closely. The English localization of the name + the covers invoking the redbooks make people think dungeons and dragons but nope all pretty much wizardy tip to toe baby.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

logger posted:

Well if that's true she's certainly played a LOT of games after starting the series considering the kind of fanart she's drawn.

Here's her favorite elves from various western fantasy games.

And here's a picture she drew of every character that's playable in Baulder's Gate 1 and 2.

Edit: it's hilarious how obvious it is that she didn't like Astarion. She drew him with less detail and love than the nameless Adoring Fan from Oblivion. Sorry Astarion, I'll always love you, but I also 100% understand why others greatly dislike you because your personality is very bad.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 07:20 on May 17, 2024

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

accidental double post

Lazy Fair
Sep 23, 2019

Bread Set Jettison posted:

I think the area they're exploring through is like a lot of large-ish chambers connected by small tunnels and caves. So the cave they took shelter in led to a large opening on the other end with the Barometz. The climate may be nicer in that chamber, but maybe its not the direction they need to go.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The most fan art she drew of any video game was not of any fantasy game, it was of fitness boxing 2. This of course means her next series will be a sports manga.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

That would be sick

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I always wondered what a boxing anime where they cannibalized the other boxer would be like

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Really the only thing Teppu was missing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Snooze Cruise posted:

The most fan art she drew of any video game was not of any fantasy game, it was of fitness boxing 2. This of course means her next series will be a sports manga.

I mean I certainly hope so