Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

I call em "18-wheelers"

Even the ones with 22 wheels?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
The little shunter truck at work has 4 wheels, and it frequently moves empty tandem (2 axle) trailers. That's 12, but it also moves tri-axle trailers, so that's 16, and quads make for 20. Now the trucks that actually do the pickup and dropoff are "normal" for semis around here, so 10 wheels, thus 18 with a tandem, but 22 with a tri, and 26 with a quad.

Here we call them semi's, or just trucks, trailered or not, but tractor trailer is one I also hear from time to time.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Wife calls them "fuckin truckins" because they're always slower and need to be passed.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

They're just trucks, unless I'm talking to normies and need to specify, then they're semis. :colbert:

e: on the interstate I don't gently caress with them because they're just doing their job, but they just put a new truck terminal in my town and the new traffic is hellish.

solarNativity fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Dec 23, 2016

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

I've always heard "tractor-trailers"

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
They're lorries here. Or artics. Or HGVs. Sometimes wagons. The official terminology is LGV, Large Goods Vehicle.

TotalLossBrain posted:

Please, how are you ever going to find another truck with identical but reverse damage?
Well, look for one where the back fell off.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
No one would ever

Weld the halves of two cars together

They don't just keep smashed cars around to cut pieces off of and weld together

In actual horrible mechanical failures news, I saw this fine automobile shambling down the highway on Wednesday on my way to the junkyard where I saw those halfcars. It's not visible in the picture, but the left front CV shaft was dangling on the lower control arm and not spinning at all, I suspect the right one was too. Who knows why the suspension is so hosed and the camber is so far off, my guess is extremely bad balljoints and bushings but it could be a bent upper control arm or something I guess? Whatever the problem, I mostly focused on putting it in my rearview as soon as I could and then getting far away from it.

It looked a lot more hosed in person.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Memento posted:

You can answer your question with the following 100% true statement:

There Is Literally Nothing Good About The Mazda Tribute.

I have a '17 Escape and switching to the Focus chasis was the right thing for Ford to do. First bit of true Calgary winter driving and it's everything I wanted in a Focus Wagon, plus you can accidentally put it into oversteer and casually power out of it as it moves the tourqe to the front wheels.

Getting something other than all seasons for next winter though.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

https://twitter.com/polscotrpu/status/812556728898359296

Ooft.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Hey man, it's raining, the springs just wanted to stay dry for once.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

And more further down the page!

https://twitter.com/polscotrpu/status/780525942670229504

I've not seen one of those before :stare:

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
2006 GMC Truck 101k miles on it. We get a little snow a few times each year do not live in a wet climate and we do not salt the roads here.

http://i.imgur.com/94Sl2Fg.mp4

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

B4Ctom1 posted:

2006 GMC Truck 101k miles on it. We get a little snow a few times each year do not live in a wet climate and we do not salt the roads here.

I didn't get my eyes off of your text and onto the gif fast enough to see him wiggle the first wheel, so I'm watching it, looking for something wrong, not seeing it, wondering why you posted it, and then he wiggles the other wheel. :stonk:

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

B4Ctom1 posted:

Sweet jesus that's terrifying. :stonk:

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
When I worked at the shop we had a Forester come in because the ABS light was on. Driving it around to the bay something didn't feel or sound right. This thing was handling sketchy in the PARKING LOT. Turns out a rear wheelbearing was so loose the tone ring was hitting the ABS sensor. I have no idea how people are this stupid...

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Phanatic posted:

Not failures as such, but a bunch of poo poo gets broken in awesome ways:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfm4gvxNW_o

Bringing this back to the front just for how loving pumped the guys playing the War Boys are.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Liquid Communism posted:

Bringing this back to the front just for how loving pumped the guys playing the War Boys are.

Is there anyone in this forum that wouldn't be a war boy?

Go ahead. Out yourselves. :colbert:

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747
E: gently caress, wrong thread.

Naturally Selected fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Dec 24, 2016

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

MrYenko posted:

Is there anyone in this forum that wouldn't be a war boy?

Go ahead. Out yourselves. :colbert:

My wife has forbidden me on pain of pain from shaving my head.

Worth it.

One Day Fish Sale
Aug 28, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Yeah, that generation goes through front wheel bearings like candy. Usually you don't notice until you're swapping wheels or the ABS light comes on. That can be a fun one, ABS system going haywire because the sensor is literally running into the tone wheel.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

And if you've got cold solder on the $1500 ABS module in your $1000 truck (they all do prior to '02, and if you buy one from a hillbilly there's enough mud around that you can't really take the top off to fix it even after multiple washes) you may have no indicator those bearings have gone until a wheel falls off (the rest of the front end is usually too far into its 50k mile replacement interval to give you enough feedback to tell you something's wrong). This cold solder also results in an always-on brake warning light (assuming your cluster has enough life left to indicate anything but the price of tea in China) which means you can lose hardlines to rust (which happens all the time) and have no idea until that panic stop results in an awfully low pedal that's now sinking constantly. The front ABS sensors also like to corrode up and, if the module does function, it just thinks that wheel is locked up regardless of what's actually going on and can leave you with no brakes that way. Not that you'll have time between fuel pump failures to get going fast enough to need to stop ever. And even if you do need to stop sometime, the parking shoes in the hat drums are perpetually about to fall off their hilariously inadequate mounting tabs and jam up so you've just got to wait for that inevitability to hopefully grind you to a screeching halt before you hit anything.
But when you finally get sick of all this, the leak-prone EVAP system leaves enough fuel fumes lingering about to make torching the truck rather easy at least.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
So how long did you have yours?

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Shrugs Not Drugs posted:

...if the module does function, it just thinks that wheel is locked up regardless of what's actually going on and can leave you with no brakes that way.

This is one of the more terrifying ABS failure modes I've heard of. I (apparently naively) assumed companies would design the system to let you figure out braking yourself, rather than the car refusing to apply the brakes altogether. :staredog:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yeeeep, :staredog: is right.

I've had it on a car before, and it was only one front caliper that did it, so braking was randomly quite interesting.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

One Day Fish Sale posted:

because the sensor is literally running into the tone wheel.

I wish I could post the pictures but I got to climb into and replace the Phase marker (Speed probe) on a 1500 HP pump the other day. Something must have wobbled because about 1/8" of the tip was ground away and there was a lovely ring machined into the shaft.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Shrugs Not Drugs posted:

And if you've got cold solder on the $1500 ABS module in your $1000 truck (they all do prior to '02, and if you buy one from a hillbilly there's enough mud around that you can't really take the top off to fix it even after multiple washes) you may have no indicator those bearings have gone until a wheel falls off (the rest of the front end is usually too far into its 50k mile replacement interval to give you enough feedback to tell you something's wrong). This cold solder also results in an always-on brake warning light (assuming your cluster has enough life left to indicate anything but the price of tea in China) which means you can lose hardlines to rust (which happens all the time) and have no idea until that panic stop results in an awfully low pedal that's now sinking constantly. The front ABS sensors also like to corrode up and, if the module does function, it just thinks that wheel is locked up regardless of what's actually going on and can leave you with no brakes that way. Not that you'll have time between fuel pump failures to get going fast enough to need to stop ever. And even if you do need to stop sometime, the parking shoes in the hat drums are perpetually about to fall off their hilariously inadequate mounting tabs and jam up so you've just got to wait for that inevitability to hopefully grind you to a screeching halt before you hit anything.
But when you finally get sick of all this, the leak-prone EVAP system leaves enough fuel fumes lingering about to make torching the truck rather easy at least.

It's stuff like this that reaffirms my choice to keep my 2000 Silverado and keep it running.
Like, Chevys aren't perfect, but at least I know about it's problems.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Johnny Aztec posted:

It's stuff like this that reaffirms my choice to keep my 2000 Silverado and keep it running.
Like, Chevys aren't perfect, but at least I know about it's problems.

bad news buddy. Timken says its the same cassette bearing.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

cursedshitbox posted:

bad news buddy. Timken says its the same cassette bearing.

I replaced my bearings a couple months ago. There was plenty of signaling there long before it'd have fallen off.

The only brake problem it had, was the front driver side ABS sensor needed replacing, so sometimes when I was coming to a slow stop (under 10 MPH) the brakes would lock up and nearly sent me into traffic a couple times(Yes, that's been replaced)

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

One Day Fish Sale posted:

Yeah, that generation goes through front wheel bearings like candy. Usually you don't notice until you're swapping wheels or the ABS light comes on. That can be a fun one, ABS system going haywire because the sensor is literally running into the tone wheel.

They don't if you take out the ABS sensor and grease the bearings. I've run those trucks (and vans) for years, never had a wheel bearing go. The front end on my '04 2500HD got replaced.... at 170K miles, and it was all OEM parts we removed.

One Day Fish Sale
Aug 28, 2009

Grimey Drawer

sharkytm posted:

They don't if you take out the ABS sensor and grease the bearings. I've run those trucks (and vans) for years, never had a wheel bearing go. The front end on my '04 2500HD got replaced.... at 170K miles, and it was all OEM parts we removed.

2WD? My '02 Tahoe 4WD was unit bearings.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
4WD.

http://www.silveradosierra.com/how-to-articles/how-to-pack-your-sealed-hubs-t18734.html

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=375102

Countless other threads. There's very little grease in them to start, and adding some every 15-20k seems to extend their lives.

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high

Shrugs Not Drugs posted:

This describes my father's Yukon to a 'T'... every single word of it :sad:

One Day Fish Sale
Aug 28, 2009

Grimey Drawer

sharkytm posted:

4WD.

http://www.silveradosierra.com/how-to-articles/how-to-pack-your-sealed-hubs-t18734.html

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=375102

Countless other threads. There's very little grease in them to start, and adding some every 15-20k seems to extend their lives.

Huh, cool! I've had plenty vehicles with sealed-bearing hubs but never considered preventative maintenance on them. I have a 2WD GMT900 and should probably think about checking those bearings.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
On the very large disc harrow at the farm, the bearings are sealed but each has a small hole drilled in the outer race that line up with grease zerks on the bearing carriers, making them regreasable.

Wouldn't it be easier to remove the unit bearing, drill a small hole in wide part of the outer race, and use a needle to regrease instead of constantly rotating the hub and then cleaning out the ABS sensor hole? When reinstalling I'd just make sure the hole is covered to prevent the grease from escaping through it.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Fermented Tinal posted:

On the very large disc harrow at the farm, the bearings are sealed but each has a small hole drilled in the outer race that line up with grease zerks on the bearing carriers, making them regreasable.

Wouldn't it be easier to remove the unit bearing, drill a small hole in wide part of the outer race, and use a needle to regrease instead of constantly rotating the hub and then cleaning out the ABS sensor hole? When reinstalling I'd just make sure the hole is covered to prevent the grease from escaping through it.

Each side only look me about 20 minutes. Removing the bearing would take longer. I didn't even bother trying to rotate the hub and get grease into every spot. Just a splooge, rotate 1/2 turn, splooge, pop the sensor back in. The Sensor hole is never dirty, the sensor seals it. Just an air blast around the sensor prior to loosening the retaining screw was good enough.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

sharkytm posted:

Each side only look me about 20 minutes. Removing the bearing would take longer. I didn't even bother trying to rotate the hub and get grease into every spot. Just a splooge, rotate 1/2 turn, splooge, pop the sensor back in. The Sensor hole is never dirty, the sensor seals it. Just an air blast around the sensor prior to loosening the retaining screw was good enough.

Someone in one of the linked threads mentioned a tool made to fit in the sensor hole that seals with o-rings to make it even easier. Basically a dowel with a hole drilled through it, a zerk on one end, and o-rings. Presumably a flange or ridge to stop it from going through. Would be fairly easy to make.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
My front hubs failed at 95k on my 2006 2500HD. I bought the cheapest ones off ebay and they lasted until the truck was totaled at 165k ish. Was a super easy job and they gave plenty of warning there was a problem.

The truck besides that gave my almost no issues. It needed a pair of thermostats and a fuel filter head rebuild a couple months before it's death. The only electrical issue it ever had was a ground for the power drivers seat.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
My blower resistor burned out, half the bulbs in the instruments were bad, and it rusted out the brake lines.

Not bad for 175k.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Make sure you pick out all of the metal shavings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQVZklvlU7Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

FogHelmut posted:

Make sure you pick out all of the metal shavings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQVZklvlU7Y

To be fair, I hate and distrust ball joints that don't have zerks.
Part of me says a few metal shavings aren't going to make them worse (much.)
Another part recoils in horror.