Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

DrVenkman posted:

I thought she was pretty awesome actually. She doesn't take poo poo and gets things done. She might've seemed a little 'off' when the men first turned up, but she was ultimately right about how the dynamics changed.

By contrast, Simon is the hugest oval office who is massively intimidated by women, particularly any who might not agree with him. He had the horrible comment about "there's about 2 good ones there compared to our 8". To top it off he's useless, which the show seems to love gleefully pointing out.

Oh I like her, don't get me wrong, but I've worked with women very similar to her and they are TERRIFYING if you piss them off or get on the wrong side of them. Fortunately for me I got on with them but they were amazing to watch when people got on their nerves.

Also this is her absolutely having an awesome time.

Turns out she's been in the media quite a lot before....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHUny5i4544

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Rondette posted:

Oh I like her, don't get me wrong, but I've worked with women very similar to her and they are TERRIFYING if you piss them off or get on the wrong side of them. Fortunately for me I got on with them but they were amazing to watch when people got on their nerves.

Yeah I agree. I'm sure if I was on the island with her it would drive me nuts, but at the same time I'd probably have a bed and a shelter as well, so that's what you want. I need to get a screengrab of Simon's face after she built a bed because that was some sweet justice.

That weird quasi-romance with Alice was a bit strange though seeing as it had no real payoff.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

Rondette posted:

Shame the woman who did not want to be defined by her lack of leg ultimately had to leave because of it.

SImon the insurance manager is an arse, I did love that not too complimentary montage of him going on about how weak women were while he tripped and stumbled all over the place. I love farmer/streaker/bed builder/lady Erika, I hope to be that sort of arrogant, no bullshit kinda woman when I grow up.

I remember her from a Channel 5 documentary on streakers circa 2000. She's my favourite.

DrVenkman posted:

"there's about 2 good ones there compared to our 8".

That was hilarious. Mate, your camp has Riz in it. Also, you are in it.

The definitive 'lad' there. Absolute waste of space bottom feeder thinking he's a top boy cuz an accident of conception put him in the same group as a doctor and a handsome chef.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

DrVenkman posted:

I need to get a screengrab of Simon's face after she built a bed because that was some sweet justice.

:allears:

heheheheheheheheheh.

Just watched that section again to get those and loving hell, he's such a patronising dick. Bossing them all around like 'GUYS if you want to talk put your hands up GUYS' And being really rude to Erika when she goes off to fish 'Remember the prime objective is to catch food not have fun *smirk *smirk*amirite guys*smirk'

He's like a horror version of David Brent and Buster Bluth.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

Riz decides to leave The Island. Despite being incompetent, opts foremost to blame his departure on the women for wearing bikinis.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Padje posted:

Riz decides to leave The Island. Despite being incompetent, opts foremost to blame his departure on the women for wearing bikinis.

Back to the phone shop, nothing learned.

I wonder if that net was.....placed there. All seemed a little convenient, bit like those piggoes last year.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Rondette posted:

I wonder if that net was.....placed there. All seemed a little convenient, bit like those piggoes last year.

It had to have been. After messing up the "washed up rope", they were a bit hosed. I'm surprised it didn't come with instructions on how to use it. Or maybe it did :tinfoil:

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches
Theyve admitted (and admit in the show through clever wording) that they setup things for the contestants. They even said at one point that they create natural water sources for them

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

The Big Taff Man posted:

Theyve admitted (and admit in the show through clever wording) that they setup things for the contestants. They even said at one point that they create natural water sources for them

Ok - that makes sense as I think the water pit from the first season looked rather dug out / constructed. I'm also curious if all the flora and fauna are native.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

TCD posted:

Ok - that makes sense as I think the water pit from the first season looked rather dug out / constructed. I'm also curious if all the flora and fauna are native.

Yeah the one in first season was created, and I think there was also something about the pigs being planted. But one of the crocodiles they caught in that season was native and turned out to be an endangered species, or protected

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Not having access to Sky Atlantic, did anyone else watch Julia Davis' new comedy series Camping? It seemed to get a good a good review in the Guardian, and who doesn't have fond memories of Nighty Night?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

The Big Taff Man posted:

To be fair, I think they'd HAVE to create a drinkable water source for them. Cuz if there wasn't one, they'd start dropping like flys.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
It wouldn't be a very good show if they all had to leave after a week because everybody was dying. I don't feel as though having a few animals and some drinkable water put there beforehand really makes any difference, it just means that they can actually make the show without having to call in a rescue team

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
The days of Sachsgate were everyone pretended to be outraged by noddy shots et al are well behind us.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

Rondette posted:

I view this show like a video game. They unlock new items as they go on.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Padje posted:

I view this show like a video game. They unlock new items as they go on.

Except they don't get better ay things, they get worse. I can't believe they spent so long making that net only for Simple Simon to let it drift away. I haven't face palmed that hard at a tv show for a while.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Competency would make for bad television.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Pablo Bluth posted:

Not having access to Sky Atlantic, did anyone else watch Julia Davis' new comedy series Camping? It seemed to get a good a good review in the Guardian, and who doesn't have fond memories of Nighty Night?

I watched them all last night. It was absolutely amazing. Started out hilarious and turned pretty dark. Quite a bit of male nudity too and no naked women which is a rarity on TV.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Pablo Bluth posted:

Not yet, but it's on the box and I'm absolutely looking forward to it.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

goatface posted:

Competency would make for bad television.

I dunno, I watched NAKED AND AFRAID which was not quite as dumb as it sounds, they had people on there who knew their stuff and it was still very compelling, it got more into the group dynamics and how people interact with each other on an extremely basic level. It was also good coz they were all dropped off separately but nearish to another person they could potentially meet up but also potentially not, and if they did it was only in groups of 2/3- it meant some groups barely interacted with each other, or if they did finally meet up had formed 'tribes' and were hostile to other groups they came across (a bit like the girls/boys thing except there wasn't such a gender divide). It was a really cool programme.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I've finally made it to my first proper documentary on British TV. On May 3rd BBC 2 will broadcast The Conspiracy Files: Who Shot Down MH17?. where you can see me trying not to shiver with cold in an unheated empty factory with a floor covered in dedicated animals during the November last year. I looks like part of the documentary will be me making my various claims about MH17, other people claiming the opposite, and the BBC going out to Ukraine to test the theories. Will I be proven wrong, or will everyone else be shown to be crazy conspiracy theorist? it's the latter

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I shall watch you being cold and uncomfortable on iPlayer later this week. Congratulations. Now one day you too can sit on a sofa making masturbation gestures whilst being bitter about modern television!

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXgmRBX6iU4

Gratz, we're all very proud I'm sure.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
I want to destroy the mum in The A Word. What a raging bitch.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

I want to destroy the mum in The A Word. What a raging bitch.

Seriously. The show seems to mean for you to sympathize with her, but when she's actively spying on her own child...

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

My friend just reminded me of that ridiculous 'John Snow smokes dope' experiment that C4 did. Except they did it in the most ridiculous reefer-madness esque way by giving him some super-skunk, which is like a kids first drink being a multipack of Special Brew.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
And they gave him some kind of weird balloon which held like a cubic metre of puff. Felt bad for him but it was definitely idiotic

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

WeAreTheRomans posted:

And they gave him some kind of weird balloon which held like a cubic metre of puff. Felt bad for him but it was definitely idiotic

Ha yeah I forgot about that. It's the thing that real potheads use, as in people who have smoked for years and can handle it. I remember Gogglebox covering it and the one fella asks 'why don't they just give him a joint?'. He did an AMA not long ago and remarkably he still stands by it and says it proves to him that cannabis should remain illegal.

Even when we went to Amsterdam the guy told us to stay away from Skunk unless you're a seasoned smoker and don't want to ruin your night.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
That last episode of The Island should be renamed 'loving idiots'

:stare:

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Rondette posted:

That last episode of The Island should be renamed 'loving idiots'

:stare:

Hahaha - yeah. The whole episode was literally just gently caress ups. Also, I get going through the jungle and poo poo is hard, but if they are looking for food - wouldn't it have been better to go through the jungle?

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I think they wanted to try to get to an unexplored bit where they might magically find a food supply, rather than go through thick jungle where they've already been and found gently caress all. It was utterly stupid, though.

Also, how annoying was Erica in that episode? Christ, what a cow. I'm a Tilly fan after seeing her give Erica a well deserved earful. And that shot of her walking towards the camera with her hair down :swoon:

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa
What a rollercoaster episode for Paddy to go from the triumph of latching onto a girl he can actually flirt with and murdering a turkey and eating its face to the nadir of making GBS threads blood and spilling his rear end off a cliff-face

Also to add insult to injury Bear loving Grylls getting flown out there to do to-camera segments about how recklessly dangerous it would be if the islanders were to try and traverse the shoreline as if he is the loving safety Oracle and not just retroactively distancing Channel 4 responsibility from the money-shot footage of an emaciated student breaking a 30-foot fall on a rock that they've been trailing for weeks

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Every sketchy jump and climb in that episode had me recoiling in utter horror. gently caress that so much. I'm never going outside again.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
It was like the beginning of a casualty episode, you knew bad poo poo was gonna go down, you just didn't know when, and it had that deliberate "poo poo could go down here, or here, or here" feel to it.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

TCD posted:

Hahaha - yeah. The whole episode was literally just gently caress ups. Also, I get going through the jungle and poo poo is hard, but if they are looking for food - wouldn't it have been better to go through the jungle?

Yeh. I couldn't believe they thought that would be the better option. That Doctor was truly Alpha-maling that trip and totally hosed up. Hopping over rocks and 'scouting' (ie showing off).

I sincerely hope that dumb-rear end chicken head'n'bone eating kid is ok though. That looked like a long fall. :(

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

GimpChimp posted:

What a rollercoaster episode for Paddy to go from the triumph of latching onto a girl he can actually flirt with and murdering a turkey and eating its face to the nadir of making GBS threads blood and spilling his rear end off a cliff-face

Also to add insult to injury Bear loving Grylls getting flown out there to do to-camera segments about how recklessly dangerous it would be if the islanders were to try and traverse the shoreline as if he is the loving safety Oracle and not just retroactively distancing Channel 4 responsibility from the money-shot footage of an emaciated student breaking a 30-foot fall on a rock that they've been trailing for weeks

I'd imagine the whole production is set up like cruise ships, registerd out of the Bahamas, so that when one contestant inevitably dies there won't be much of an investigation.

Stepping in because someone is dehydrated, starving or poisoned is possible. But you can't stop someone falling to their death.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Apparently, Victoria Wood has died.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

At this rate the thread title might end up being serious.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Padje posted:

I'd imagine the whole production is set up like cruise ships, registerd out of the Bahamas, so that when one contestant inevitably dies there won't be much of an investigation.

Stepping in because someone is dehydrated, starving or poisoned is possible. But you can't stop someone falling to their death.

Well, at least they've learned a valuable lesson: If there's even a remote chance you may fall from a great height, CRAWL.

Comrade Fakename posted:

Apparently, Victoria Wood has died.

RIP :smith:

The Ballad of Barry and Freda still cracks me the gently caress up. Her comic timing was immaculate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNU5KVa_Tu8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Brown Moses posted:

At this rate the thread title might end up being serious.

Not before he's done for phone hacking. Hopefully.

(No chance unless someone has a smoking gun. You're sitting on something amazing, please tell us that)