Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

SCheeseman posted:

There was a lot of hype for 360 VR experiences but they were never immersive and are something a lovely mobile phone and Google cardboard can do effectively so I'm not surprised they pulled out. Exhibiting lightfield captures or photogrammetry would maybe make more sense for a museum, as at least those can give a sense of being immersed in an environment or let people get physically up close to 3d scanned artifacts. Not as cheap or easy to capture though.

We also had some interactive stuff, one being a hidden object game in a recreation of Edison's lab.

Basically, the hardware could see the dismal sales figures and decided it wasn't worth it.

We had partnered with a company that already had 5000+ museums running their 3D stuff and they were building 'pods' for VR experiences to install at these museums.

The 360 stuff, photogrammetry and all, was "Oceans of Plastic." We were in pre-production when we decided to cut our losses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

luxury handset posted:

silicon valley nerds don't like existing things because they're not tied to the internet and/or don't have a private middleman to rent seek. this is why airbnb is "hotels, but with middlemen" and uber is "taxis, but with middlemen" and musk's death tunnels are "subways, but with middlemen"

yes, truely, the hotel and the taxi, things that never had middleman seeking rent before the nerds added one.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
I guess the keyword here is "unregulated" so the middlemen can get more out of them without handing over a fraction to government/insurance bodies.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Yeah, medical devices need a mode of operation that isn't hooked to the internet of things. The IoT is kind of a dumb technology anyways. I get some of it, like emailing my printer, getting alarm updates on the fly, thermostat adjustments, but lightbulbs, coffee machines, and tossters being internet facing is just a bunch of bot nodes in waiting. If I recall there already have been DDoS attacks involving compromised IoT devices.

You're really gonna hate it when I tell you that the current largest IoT deployments are cars (some have been hacked bad enough to physically move them) followed by power meters (with shut off capability - so en mass and coordinated could be enough to cause grid/plant damage by simultaneous mass load toggling).

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Sage Grimm posted:

I guess the keyword here is "unregulated" so the middlemen can get more out of them without handing over a fraction to government/insurance bodies.

No no the original poster said "middlemen" so now brainofcreamcheese is going to hang on to that for the next page and a half.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

ryonguy posted:

No no the original poster said "middlemen" so now brainofcreamcheese is going to hang on to that for the next page and a half.

yeah, just decide you don't like things a priori then search around for different reasons to justify it till one sticks.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

yes, truely, the hotel and the taxi, things that never had middleman seeking rent before the nerds added one.

i dont think you know what middleman means

i dont intend for this to be an insult, you whiffed on my point much harder than ususal to where i'm questioning if you understand what the word i said actually means

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

luxury handset posted:

silicon valley nerds don't like existing things because they can't scam billions of VC funding out of it

Boot and Rally posted:

They could also try to define "peanuts", I'd be curious what they think the funding schedule should be and that would affect the rate of progress.

I know perfectly well you can't gestate a baby in 1 month with 9 mothers, but compare the ~$20 million p/a it's been most of the time in the US (yeah I know they've bumped that up to ~$120m but I'm talking historically, as you said this is something that takes decades) to the motherfucking $62 billion for the F22 project. That's one project, ONE project that they've invested 3000 years worth of fusion research into. I'd say that qualifies as "peanuts"

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/BuzzFeed/status/1139727747616350208

quote:

Rather than encourage drivers to reject ride requests for children, current and former drivers told BuzzFeed News that Uber incentivizes them to accept all rides regardless of whether they're against the app's policies. Those incentives come in the form of bonus pay and surge pricing, and penalties for drivers who cancel or accept fewer rides.

"They punish you if you reject rides with minors, if you reject rides with infants without car seats, if you reject rides with too many passengers," said Dave F., who drives part time for Uber in the Chicago area. "They will say, 'Well no we don't want you to do that,' but in fact the way that they handle all their bonuses and rewards, that’s exactly what they’re doing."

One morning a few months ago, Dave F. decided to see for himself whether Uber acted on drivers' reports of unaccompanied minors.

After declining to give a 14 or 15-year-old a ride to school, he reported the account for being an unaccompanied minor then drove around the corner and waited.

"I was just curious to see what would happen," Dave F. said. "I waited about 4 or 5 minutes and another Uber showed up … and that driver took them."

:piss:

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Pochoclo posted:

Me, a smart person: lol fusion power has been 5 years away for the last 50 years

Also me: let’s put a literal trillion loving dollars a year into blowing up people and like a million or two into fusion

Don’t get me wrong, I think fission power R&D should have a higher priority than fusion because it’s already a proven technology and we need to make nuclear plants easier and cheaper and faster to build so we can build a shitload of them soon so we don’t all die of climate change, and stuff like LFTR would be really cool, but you can’t mock the advancement of fusion power - they had loving peanuts to work with

Gen 4 dude

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Gen4 also only got peanuts for a very long time.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

Pochoclo posted:

I know perfectly well you can't gestate a baby in 1 month with 9 mothers, but compare the ~$20 million p/a it's been most of the time in the US (yeah I know they've bumped that up to ~$120m but I'm talking historically, as you said this is something that takes decades) to the motherfucking $62 billion for the F22 project. That's one project, ONE project that they've invested 3000 years worth of fusion research into. I'd say that qualifies as "peanuts"

You and I are in violent agreement that fusion should have (and had) more funding.

The "fusion is five years away" quote is used to mock people who don't know what they are talking about. If self driving cars are five years away then the person claiming it should be able to show that there are no technological hurdles and that funding is adequate. That can be shown by demonstrating that it is an engineering problem and not a science problem.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Im sure it cant be only me that finds driving loving boring as hell though. Also turning a journey where youre stuck paying attention to the road into one where you could get work done would be a huge plus I reckon.
I think the ease of use would translate into more people taking longer journeys in cars really. That could change how people live their lives a bit. Maybe being stuck in a metal box more is a somewhat dystopian but with an improvement in peoples mobility, even if its just in terms of ease of use, could boost economic activity and peoples quality of life across the board (without mentioning people who are currently unable to drive)

The solution here is that you, personally, get a work from home job if you cannot tolerate the ennui of commuting.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Liquid Communism posted:

The solution here is that you, personally, get a work from home job if you cannot tolerate the ennui of commuting.

There's also lobbying politicians to invest in public transit. Then you can spend that commute reading or something. That's what I used to do.

jzilla
Apr 13, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

This is almost as bad as telling someone to just learn to code or to move where the jobs are/where the cost of living is reasonable.

Let's be real, we should be asking what's going to come first for most Americans. Affordable driverless personal vehicles or decent public transportation?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
decent public transportation. 100%

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

jzilla posted:

This is almost as bad as telling someone to just learn to code or to move where the jobs are/where the cost of living is reasonable.

Let's be real, we should be asking what's going to come first for most Americans. Affordable driverless personal vehicles or decent public transportation?

I'm surprised I never hear about a third option: employers hiring mass transit for their employees.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

jzilla posted:

Decent public transport is always the goal.

However, from Surprise Giraffe's posts ITT, they appear to have ruled that out as an option for themselves, so thus they are left with either learning to cope with the terrible drag of having to travel physically between places, or find work that doesn't require it.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I'm surprised I never hear about a third option: employers hiring mass transit for their employees.

Google tried this and it just made people mad for some reason

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Badger of Basra posted:

I thought that was mostly because it made for an easier target for anti-gentrification activists than a bunch of cars that might have Google employees in them.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

The headline sucks and really hides the tragedy of it. The 12 yo used her mom's phone and a birthday gift card to hail an Uber to a parking garage where she killed herself. Left a note saying she didn't think she would be able to get an Uber, but was "now past the point of no return".

How is an Uber driver supposed to guard against that if Uber won't put real underage rider policies in place?

jzilla
Apr 13, 2007

Badger of Basra posted:

I think it was seen as another barrier between the employees of a big tech company and the community they live and work in.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Badger of Basra posted:

iirc the reason was that the google private buses were using public bus stops but not paying for them. dunno if BART asked for money, if i were running a transit agency i'd consider stop-sharing with private transit so long as they had a decent idea of what they were doing

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Badger of Basra posted:

Same as whenever any new technology is added to any sort of mass transit, you get the same jokers doing "a NERD is trying to reinvent BUSES!???????" and like, the only acceptable form of public transport is one ran exactly precisely like it was in their childhood. Like a chinatown bus is no big deal and no cause for concern, but if a bus uses some sort of app or something in it's schedule or is associated with technology, it's meltdown time.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Same as whenever any new technology is added to any sort of mass transit, you get the same jokers doing "a NERD is trying to reinvent BUSES!???????" and like, the only acceptable form of public transport is one ran exactly precisely like it was in their childhood. Like a chinatown bus is no big deal and no cause for concern, but if a bus uses some sort of app or something in it's schedule or is associated with technology, it's meltdown time.

tell us more about meltdown time

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Parents having their children uber home from school is commonplace in the 'tony' areas around here (Rancho Santa Fe, CA etc.).

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

That’s an impressive ducking reach, even for you

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Big companies providing transit for their employees isn't some kind of new technology. :shrug:

jzilla
Apr 13, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

Decent public transport is always the goal.

However, from Surprise Giraffe's posts ITT, they appear to have ruled that out as an option for themselves, so thus they are left with either learning to cope with the terrible drag of having to travel physically between places, or find work that doesn't require it.

Which would mean a driverless vehicle would be great for them since they are likely unwilling or unable to change jobs/careers. Driving to work with a bunch of other assholes sucks. It might be Jetson-esque to think of how much more convenient it could be, but it is a source of daily stress for millions.

Dismissing the reality that many people deal with isn't going to fix the problem. The guy clearly has to get to work somehow. Might as well do it in a way that sucks the least.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

jzilla posted:

Which would mean a driverless vehicle would be great for them since they are likely unwilling or unable to change jobs/careers. Driving to work with a bunch of other assholes sucks. It might be Jetson-esque to think of how much more convenient it could be, but it is a source of daily stress for millions.

Dismissing the reality that many people deal with isn't going to fix the problem. The guy clearly has to get to work somehow. Might as well do it in a way that sucks the least.

Why not suggest a more realistic solution to this problem, like a pegasus or a personal helicopter?

jzilla
Apr 13, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Why not suggest a more realistic solution to this problem, like a pegasus or a personal helicopter?

So you think vehicles that drive themselves on the road are literally impossible?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

jzilla posted:

So you think vehicles that drive themselves on the road are literally impossible?

I think a world where Joe Techie can't replace his daily driving commute with public transport but can with a car that can drive itself so he can just sit in it and read is just as feasible as him being able to afford his own helicopter. So let's keep ourselves instead within the realm of possibility: Joe Techie doesn't work somewhere he can get with public transport. He hates using a car. We've ruled out company buses because of reasons. Why isn't he just riding a cab to/from work, or hiring a full-time driver? It's a car he doesn't have to drive, giving all the benefits of self-driving cars with the added benefit of being possible with today's technology.

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jun 16, 2019

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

jzilla posted:

vehicles that drive themselves well enough to where the driver can be completely inattentive are functionally impossible given current technology and trends. we will never fully eliminate that 2% or whatever chance that the vehicle will require you to stop whatever you are doing and take the wheel right now. if you really hate driving that much, however, you can call all the taxis you like, right now

cars that drive themselves so you don't have to pay attention during your commute are in the same realm as alcohol that doesn't make you hungover or cake that doesn't make you fat. technology cannot make the consequences of your decisions magically disappear

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

jzilla posted:

take the bus, dork

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

luxury handset posted:

tell us more about meltdown time

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches
Here is an example of the contrast between decent technology reporting and breathless repetition of Uber PR. Both are about electric air transport that the proponents claim will be available by 2022-2023.

The first article summarizes the problem (air transport produces a lot of CO2), discusses a singular solution based on a single niche Canadian airline that has partnered with an Australian electric motor company. It also covers (superficially) details about the technology and, necessary for flight, they cover the very important topic of power-to-weight ratio for aircraft. It isn't perfect, but at least they are talking with people who are actually working on the problem and know the ins-and-outs of the industries that they are working in. The proposed solution is limited in scope for clearly defined reasons that have to do specifically with the technology. Its a fine article showcasing a brighter future for clean air travel.

The second article paints Uber's PR department's fantasy of transport in Los Angeles a la Blade Runner and shows artist's renderings of "skyports" for Ubers electric flying cars which are also shown rendered. They drop in little tidbits: unfortunately, the skyports won't be stylish so they can be installed anywhere and ohh yeah, the operational cost is $700/hour. But there is nothing in the "article" about all of the fundamental problems that will come with starting an air taxi service in Los Angeles (air traffic rights, who will use it, where the skyports will actually be put, general legality), to say nothing of the really hard physics problems or the fact that the supposed aircraft has no controls, so I guess it is a self-flying air taxi.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Sixty years ago this conversation would probably be 'flying cars are five years away, ten tops'. Civic planners certainly seem to agree.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Liquid Communism posted:

I don't know. Maybe you don't do a lot of travelling by car? Taking trips out to different parts of wherever that don't have public transport, getting where you need to faster if its urgent, giving friends and family rides. People use cars for a lot more than just work! They are also vastly more convenient time-wise than public transport. Maybe you can get a bit done sitting on the bus but unless it's going exactly where you need to go cars are always more convenient and faster for longer journeys, because the stops, connections, fact that it's a large speed and space limited vehicle etc.

If I had an electric car I'd drive it everywhere under 200 miles conscience free. A driverless car I'd just use for all journeys I couldn't walk to. This is in Europe, with decent public transport investment

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Surprise Giraffe posted:

If I had an electric car I'd drive it everywhere under 200 miles conscience free. A driverless car I'd just use for all journeys I couldn't walk to. This is in Europe, with decent public transport investment

Con-jest-ion? This word, what does it mean? I have never seen it before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Surprise Giraffe posted:

I don't know. Maybe you don't do a lot of travelling by car? Taking trips out to different parts of wherever that don't have public transport, getting where you need to faster if its urgent, giving friends and family rides. People use cars for a lot more than just work! They are also vastly more convenient time-wise than public transport. Maybe you can get a bit done sitting on the bus but unless it's going exactly where you need to go cars are always more convenient and faster for longer journeys, because the stops, connections, fact that it's a large speed and space limited vehicle etc.

I live in flyover country in the US and routinely drive a few hundred miles to the next major city.

poo poo, you live in one of the parts of the world that actually has public transportation, and you're whining about it not meeting your schedule instantly?