Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Why is a Postal Inspector trying to contact me? I received a call from a local postal inspector asking to contact him so I can answer a few questions regarding a package I mailed - I didn't see the voicemail for a while, returned the call, and I'm freaking out a bit waiting for a return call. I DID mail something a couple days ago, but nothing even remotely illicit by any definition of the word...are there any non-terrible reasons I might be getting contacted?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

IuniusBrutus posted:

Why is a Postal Inspector trying to contact me? I received a call from a local postal inspector asking to contact him so I can answer a few questions regarding a package I mailed - I didn't see the voicemail for a while, returned the call, and I'm freaking out a bit waiting for a return call. I DID mail something a couple days ago, but nothing even remotely illicit by any definition of the word...are there any non-terrible reasons I might be getting contacted?

Anytime something like that happens (government service trying to contact you, bank contacting you etc) I always wonder if it is a scam. Looks like it could be? This link has some examples.

https://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/pressroom/schemealerts.aspx

It could also be totally harmless but idk how he would’ve gotten your phone # unless it was on the package.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Sounds like a scam to me.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How did he get your phone #?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

IuniusBrutus posted:

Package might have been stolen. See if the recipient reported a theft.

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005
I'm an ex-con and I was told I'm not allowed to talk to other felons. Does that end when I'm off probation? What are the limits of that? I have a cousin in prison and I'd like to write to him, not to mention other friends I made in prison. My understanding is that the law is in place to prevent me from going and hanging out with gang members or whatever, but I'm a square-as-gently caress criminal and I just miss my buddies who are still locked down. I have no interest in meeting up with local felons.

My case was federal and I'm located in Oregon. I was in prison in Colorado and Texas and that's where my friends are (federal prison ships you all over the place) and my cousin is in a state prison in Kansas.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Are you on parole or probation? Then talk to your po. They will likely make exceptions for bona fide family.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

nm posted:

Are you on parole or probation? Then talk to your po. They will likely make exceptions for bona fide family.

Unless you're asking us because your PO already said "No." in which case, listen to your PO.

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005

nm posted:

Probation.

blarzgh posted:

Unless you're asking us because your PO already said "No." in which case, listen to your PO.

I haven't asked him yet because I've only met him twice. I'm on home confinement right now, meaning for the next 3 months I'm looked after by the halfway house staff and not the PO (he won't get involved unless I gently caress up, which I won't). It seems like a bad idea to ask if I can write my friends before I really know my PO because he'll assume I'm Johnny Ex-Con and say no. For now I was just trying to learn more about the rule.

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005

nm posted:

There actually is no parole in the federal system.

edit: whoops, sorry about double post

Christoph fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Sep 13, 2018

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Ask your PO. Seriously. If he says no, that sucks, but you aren't in jail for violating.
You almost certainly will not be allowed to write people in prison who are not related to you.
Try to get everything in writing, your po will change 2 times a year for no reason.

nm fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Sep 13, 2018

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
This is NOT one of those times where its better to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
Anyone here familiar with patent law? I was browsing through some for Leslie rotary speakers, originally patented in the 1950s and since expired. However, there seem to be new patents that tie in to this... as far as I can tell there’s really only one or two ways to really do this, so how is it that every company has a patent on this concept?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Gin_Rummy posted:

Anyone here familiar with patent law? I was browsing through some for Leslie rotary speakers, originally patented in the 1950s and since expired. However, there seem to be new patents that tie in to this... as far as I can tell there’s really only one or two ways to really do this, so how is it that every company has a patent on this concept?

Typically, the patent is actually on minor tweaks and minor additions. So it'd be on a "rotary speaker that has a new-fangled gidget and a whizzer", not just on a rotary speaker.

(And also the PTO isn't always great at its job and patents are regularly issued that cover something that was already known, even though they aren't supposed to do that.)

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

Kalman posted:

Typically, the patent is actually on minor tweaks and minor additions. So it'd be on a "rotary speaker that has a new-fangled gidget and a whizzer", not just on a rotary speaker.

Is that essentially to keep the patent on lock down for eternity so it doesn’t expire? Just think up some new widget to throw on so that you can renew/extend the patent?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Gin_Rummy posted:

Is that essentially to keep the patent on lock down for eternity so it doesn’t expire? Just think up some new widget to throw on so that you can renew/extend the patent?

the new patent only covers the additions, the item without the additions remains unpatented once the patent expires

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Gin_Rummy posted:

The original patent still expires. You add the widget so you have a new patent and can claim "oh our product has eight billion patents on it", and in the event your competitors decide to also use the widget, you could sue them. You get a patent on the whole thing - if the widget isn't there, your patent doesn't cover the product. So the original Leslie rotary is out of patent, even if people have various patents in force on various rotary speaker approaches.

It's usually less of an issue in high tech products and more of an issue in pharmaceuticals, where they use the patent in combination with regulatory exclusivity to try to keep the original formulation off market as well.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

Kalman posted:

The original patent still expires. You add the widget so you have a new patent and can claim "oh our product has eight billion patents on it", and in the event your competitors decide to also use the widget, you could sue them. You get a patent on the whole thing - if the widget isn't there, your patent doesn't cover the product. So the original Leslie rotary is out of patent, even if people have various patents in force on various rotary speaker approaches.

It's usually less of an issue in high tech products and more of an issue in pharmaceuticals, where they use the patent in combination with regulatory exclusivity to try to keep the original formulation off market as well.

So theoretically, if I were to build and sell something to the original patent’s specifications, I could without any threat of legal action? I just would have to avoid any of those additions that may have been covered throughout the years?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Gin_Rummy posted:

So theoretically, if I were to build and sell something to the original patent’s specifications, I could without any threat of legal action? I just would have to avoid any of those additions that may have been covered throughout the years?

yeah but, given the prevalence of patent trolling, "theoretically" is doing a lot of work there

nm
Jan 28, 2008

blarzgh posted:

This is NOT one of those times where its better to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission.

Yeah. Also, I have represented thousands of people in parole and probation hearings, so I have some experience with this.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

evilweasel posted:

yeah but, given the prevalence of patent trolling, "theoretically" is doing a lot of work there

Pretty much this. In theory you’re fine. In practice, it’s entirely possible you’ll get sued and patent suits are expensive to defend against.

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005

nm posted:

Yeah. Also, I have represented thousands of people in parole and probation hearings, so I have some experience with this.

I wasn't going to write without permission. My idea is to wait until they know me a bit better before asking if it's okay. I'm very cautious and didn't get a single write-up in 5.3 years behind bars.

While I was in prison, several of my friends went home to the free world and were given explicit permission by their POs (in their cases federal probation officers in Nebraska, Iowa, and Oklahoma) to write to their comrades in the clink. They were even allowed to send prison emails. So I know it's not impossible for it to be approved.

Going back to my other question: when I'm off probation I can talk to anyone, right?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Christoph posted:

Going back to my other question: when I'm off probation I can talk to anyone, right?
Yes, so long as it's the entire probated sentence that has expired, and not just the supervised portion of the probation.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Asking For A Friend on this bizarre scenario. So a friend in another state decided to take a road trip to Cali with another guy guy to meet said guy's online girlfriend, and said girlfriend turned out to be underage and he was arrested for pedo sex after a missing persons report was put out. This led to the guy's car being impounded, with all of my friend's poo poo inside including, but not limited to, ID and money, so theyre effectively stranded.

Is there a legal way to get their ID out of the car, or alternatively a way to get some sort of ID that would let them travel back to their home state? They dont care what happens to the guy or any of the guy's stuff anymore in case that opens up any options.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Control Volume posted:

Asking For A Friend on this bizarre scenario. So a friend in another state decided to take a road trip to Cali with another guy guy to meet said guy's online girlfriend, and said girlfriend turned out to be underage and he was arrested for pedo sex after a missing persons report was put out. This led to the guy's car being impounded, with all of my friend's poo poo inside including, but not limited to, ID and money, so theyre effectively stranded.

Is there a legal way to get their ID out of the car, or alternatively a way to get some sort of ID that would let them travel back to their home state? They dont care what happens to the guy or any of the guy's stuff anymore in case that opens up any options.

Who has the car? Impound lot for abandonment or evidence lock-up lot?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Your, uh, friend's friend's situation seems curious and more than a little shady. Why did they volunteer to drive their pedophile friend to a different state so as to hook up with a teenager? It would surprise me to learn that the police didn't want to ask your friend's friend more than a few questions of that nature.

Not a lawyer but my guess is that either the police are still holding the car, in which case your friend is hosed, or they aren't, in which case your friend's poo poo is probably being held for ransom by the impound yard and whatever cash was in the car is probably gone either way. That's how it would go down in Pennsylvania anyway, no idea what California's law are regarding impound yards or how seriously they're enforced.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Turns out the solution was begging a police officer to let them get their wallet until one relented, and theyre back on their way home and writing off the things like clothes.

re: the other poo poo, the pedo owned the car and lied about the age of this girl (she turned out to be 15 :stare:), and he had been around in a bunch of other non-pedo relationships before this, so friend thought they were just going to get a chill vacation in Cali. And yeah they got grilled by the police by the entire thing.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

If someone is getting sued by a British citizen living in Thailand in California court for a civil issue (libel and slander).

Can he still be sued in the UK afterwards? Does this depend on the disposition of the California case? Let’s say money is no object.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

FrozenVent posted:

If someone is getting sued by a British citizen living in Thailand in California court for a civil issue (libel and slander).

Can he still be sued in the UK afterwards? Does this depend on the disposition of the California case? Let’s say money is no object.

Nice throwaway account Elon.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

IANAB but I imagine that he's suing in cali first since regardless of that outcome he'll see the defense for the UK

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

I am also curious to see what kind of defence strategy my friend is going to rely on.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Basically this question:

https://twitter.com/legaladvice_txt/status/1041648882281840643

I guess the guy didn't provide a state, but how about if he lived in Texas?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Badger of Basra posted:

Basically this question:

https://twitter.com/legaladvice_txt/status/1041648882281840643

I guess the guy didn't provide a state, but how about if he lived in Texas?

In California, you have to reasonably believe that you may be harmed. Dunno about Texas.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

FrozenVent posted:

In the California complain said British citizen living in Thailand requests relief for damages worldwide except for the United Kingdom. Which is a pretty big hint that they will also sue in the UK which has much stricter libel laws.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
99% sure this is a law school question for every student ever, and the answer is that for attempted murder, it has to actually be possible, but for assault, both parties have to reasonably believe that it's possible?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Soylent Pudding posted:

In the California complain said British citizen living in Thailand requests relief for damages worldwide except for the United Kingdom. Which is a pretty big hint that they will also sue in the UK which has much stricter libel laws.

In the California complaint said British citizen explicitly said they would also sue in the UK which is an even bigger hint.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

blarzgh posted:

99% sure this is a law school question for every student ever, and the answer is that for attempted murder, it has to actually be possible, but for assault, both parties have to reasonably believe that it's possible?

You’d also have to take some actual steps towards commission of a crime, and I don’t think you’d be able to convince a jury that reading some “spells” or whatever would get you to attempt.

I think assault has a reasonable element in the fear it has to invoke

To answer the original question, no, not likely anywhere. Just Threatening to murder someone itself likely isn’t a crime. Attempted murder requires at least some steps towards attempting it, and assault usually requires a present/imminent willingness and ability to commit harm

EwokEntourage fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Sep 18, 2018

nm
Jan 28, 2008

EwokEntourage posted:

Just Threatening to murder someone itself likely isn’t a crime.

It sure is in California. Penal code section 422 makes it a crime to threaten death or GBI if they target has a reasonable fear that you might do it. It is even a strike.
It would shock we if most other states didn't have a criminal/terroristic threats statute.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

nm posted:

It sure is in California. Penal code section 422 makes it a crime to threaten death or GBI if they target has a reasonable fear that you might do it. It is even a strike.
It would shock we if most other states didn't have a criminal/terroristic threats statute.

Absolutely. Also many states have stalking and cyberstalking laws that make such comments illegal. Here’s Louisiana’s (which I think are overbroad and of dubious constitutionality as written):

La.R.S. §14:40.2 posted:

Stalking

A. Stalking is the intentional and repeated following or harassing of another person that would cause a reasonable person to feel alarmed or to suffer emotional distress. Stalking shall include but not be limited to the intentional and repeated uninvited presence of the perpetrator at another person's home, workplace, school, or any place which would cause a reasonable person to be alarmed, or to suffer emotional distress as a result of verbal or behaviorally implied threats of death, bodily injury, sexual assault, kidnaping, or any other statutory criminal act to himself or any member of his family or any person with whom he is acquainted.

C. For the purposes of this Section, the following words shall have the following meanings:

(1) "Harassing" means the repeated pattern of verbal communications or nonverbal behavior without invitation which includes but is not limited to making telephone calls, transmitting electronic mail, sending messages via a third party, or sending letters or pictures.

(2) "Pattern of conduct" means a series of acts over a period of time, however short, evidencing an intent to inflict a continuity of emotional distress upon the person. Constitutionally protected activity is not included within the meaning of pattern of conduct.

La. R.S. §14:40.3 posted:

Cyberstalking

A. For the purposes of this Section, the following words shall have the following meanings:

(1) "Electronic communication" means any transfer of signs, signals, writing, images, sounds, data, or intelligence of any nature, transmitted in whole or in part by wire, radio, computer, electromagnetic, photoelectric, or photo-optical system.

(2) "Electronic mail" means the transmission of information or communication by the use of the Internet, a computer, a facsimile machine, a pager, a cellular telephone, a video recorder, or other electronic means sent to a person identified by a unique address or address number and received by that person.

B. Cyberstalking is action of any person to accomplish any of the following:

(1) Use in electronic mail or electronic communication of any words or language threatening to inflict bodily harm to any person or to such person's child, sibling, spouse, or dependent, or physical injury to the property of any person, or for the purpose of extorting money or other things of value from any person.

(2) Electronically mail or electronically communicate to another repeatedly, whether or not conversation ensues, for the purpose of threatening, terrifying, or harassing any person.

(3) Electronically mail or electronically communicate to another and to knowingly make any false statement concerning death, injury, illness, disfigurement, indecent conduct, or criminal conduct of the person electronically mailed or of any member of the person's family or household with the intent to threaten, terrify, or harass.

Note the various reasonableness and scienter requirements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

blarzgh posted:

If you want a 1st, you point out that the prosecutor also has to be convinced there's a public benefit in bringing a prosecution.