Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

Bees on Wheat posted:

Did I mention it had electrical issues too? :v:

Yes, you said it's a hot tub.

Mr.Radar posted:

The guy who posted the video says in the comments he had it tested for asbestos and it was asbestos free, though not mentioning that in the video itself is dangerous enough because other people will inevitably try it with their pure-asbestos tiles.

Ohhh, so all he has to worry about is the warm tar getting kicked up in the air. That's fine. He's wearing a filter, so he'll get 45 5 years to enjoy his beautiful floor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Speaking of asbestos testing. My parents had a leak that hit their living room ceiling. Their ceiling has popcorn and part of the standard package is having it tested for asbestos. The test came back 3% chrysotile.
Problem: the popcorn was installed in the 2000s, well past any asbestos in popcorn being legal.
This was brought up, and suddenly the test was miraculously a strange error and there was no asbestos in the sample.
So, obviously these guys never did any testing the first time around. Same guys who tested our ceilings that came back positive and we had removed. Ours were likely original from 1977, so chances were better going in, but now I wonder.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

tinytort posted:

His girlfriend (wife?) is so very visibly unenthusiastic and Not Thrilled about this purchase in that video, too. "No, this is your purchase" followed a couple minutes later by "I told him that if we were going to buy it and put that much work into it, I wanted to live in it. I figured this would shut him down. I was wrong."

If she stays with him through the whole project, I'm going to be shocked.

What I don't get is - why a McMansion?

There are so many incredible old buildings out there which would make an amazing home (and generate youtube views) rather than something so lovely.

EDIT: I suppose it's like the guy who makes knives out of seaweed and poo poo.

But I stand by the opinion that although you may be able to polish a turd, there's only so much you can do with a McMansion.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Oct 8, 2019

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Mr.Radar posted:

Yeah, this guy is one of those insanely popular people on Youtube you've never heard of because you're outside their target demographic. This is actually his tertiary channel, his other two channels about veterinary medicine and blowing poo poo up have 2.8 million and 7.2 million subscribers respectively. While this project is 100% a money pit feel free to enjoy it without feeling too bad because he will probably end up making money off the Youtube ad revenue in the end even if he decides to keep the place when it's done.

We do now live in a bizarro world where it can make better financial sense to do a project wrongly, if you are good at youtube, than doing it right.
All you need is to have good charisma and (ideally) above average looks and and understanding of basic video editing and it's better to gently caress things up for the The Views

Lot of car people do that too: see the idiot who rebuilds Teslas, the idiot who buys wrecks from Copart and the idiot who buys the cheapest listing of an expensive model of car.

Philosophical question: is it truly 'crappy construction' if you build it with load-bearing drywall, if the youtube revenue vastly outweighes the cost of a professional repair, Grasshopper?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Shut up Meg posted:

Philosophical question: is it truly 'crappy construction' if you build it with load-bearing drywall, if the youtube revenue vastly outweighes the cost of a professional repair, Grasshopper?

It’s still crappy construction. I just load‐bearing crappy construction.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Shut up Meg posted:

We do now live in a bizarro world where it can make better financial sense to do a project wrongly, if you are good at youtube, than doing it right.
All you need is to have good charisma and (ideally) above average looks and and understanding of basic video editing and it's better to gently caress things up for the The Views

Lot of car people do that too: see the idiot who rebuilds Teslas, the idiot who buys wrecks from Copart and the idiot who buys the cheapest listing of an expensive model of car.

I watch a lot of youtube stuff, and the common theme on what seems to be successful is taking the (predicted) revenue from the videos or patreon or whatever and concentrating the few bucks some people can spare (or ad clicks or whatever), then spending that doing something you wouldn't normally do if you had normal people money.

Any concept which could start with "wouldn't it be cool if.." or "I wonder what happens if.." but that nobody would actually go through with because it'd cost too much is a prime candidate for doing well on youtube, because the viewers get their question answered and the doer gets their costs covered.

In that sense it's no different to mass TV; Mythbusters was built around that concept.

So, I see it not so much that they're deliberately doing it "wrong", but they are knowingly not doing it in the most cost-efficient manner because cost is no longer the important part, being an interesting and novel experience is.

It's that exact same desire for people to see something from outside their normal lives that drives a lot of the profession vloggers, like dairy farmers showing their day in the life shovelling cow poo poo, or snake breeders or whatever. It's totally mundane to them but to the people who've known nothing but working in offices or retail their whole lives it's a view outside their own lived experience.

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Oct 8, 2019

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Jerry Cotton posted:

"Everything is asbestos!", like "everything is tetanus!" is a very on-line-knowing-person stance.

Except its the right era of time for asbestos to still be a thing, and unlike tetanus, there isn't a nice shot for it.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Shut up Meg posted:

Please leave Rich, Sam, and Hoovie/Tavarish our of this. (Seriously my youtube is just becoming these videos.)

But yeah youtube is hitting a reality tv bubble where posting a 10-30 episode series on redoing that house will make him profit, the drama with his wife is probably all fake to grab viewers, and someone will buy it because they watched it “get fixed the right way”. Welcome to hell, I mean 2019.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Scarodactyl posted:

Speaking of asbestos testing. My parents had a leak that hit their living room ceiling. Their ceiling has popcorn and part of the standard package is having it tested for asbestos. The test came back 3% chrysotile.
Problem: the popcorn was installed in the 2000s, well past any asbestos in popcorn being legal.
This was brought up, and suddenly the test was miraculously a strange error and there was no asbestos in the sample.
So, obviously these guys never did any testing the first time around. Same guys who tested our ceilings that came back positive and we had removed. Ours were likely original from 1977, so chances were better going in, but now I wonder.

There is a great deal of money to be made in a positive asbestos test. They are the latest craze in property claims.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Scarodactyl posted:

It 100% sounds like they were trying to get you for unnecessary remediation, but while researching my own popcorn ceilings, I found an odd loophole in the law. The EPA banned production of asbestos popcorn ceiling products in 1977. However it actually remains legal to apply any old stock remaining, even to the present day, which can mean that a home built or remodeled after 1977 could still potentially have asbestos popcorn. Never use just the construction/remodel date; TEST TEST TEST.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

I saw some program on TV a while back which came to the conclusion asbestos testing is a total crapshoot (at least in glorious Finland) and there's a good chance that any of the major test providers may actually end up missing asbestos that's there or alternatively giving a false positive. Also the fines for mishandling asbestos are hilariously low and poorly enforced so some companies will just deliberately gently caress it up leaving behind asbestos dust in living spaces because it's faster and cheaper to not do asbestos remediation properly. Fun stuff!

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

PainterofCrap posted:

There is a great deal of money to be made in a positive asbestos test. They are the latest craze in property claims.

How long did the mold abatement craze last? I remember that King of The Hill episode.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Ruflux posted:

I saw some program on TV a while back which came to the conclusion asbestos testing is a total crapshoot (at least in glorious Finland) and there's a good chance that any of the major test providers may actually end up missing asbestos that's there or alternatively giving a false positive. Also the fines for mishandling asbestos are hilariously low and poorly enforced so some companies will just deliberately gently caress it up leaving behind asbestos dust in living spaces because it's faster and cheaper to not do asbestos remediation properly. Fun stuff!

The finnish work inspection agency doesn't give a poo poo about asbestos but you're looking at a large fine if you don't have your id visible or haven't logged in.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Jusupov posted:

The finnish work inspection agency doesn't give a poo poo about asbestos but you're looking at a large fine if you don't have your id visible or haven't logged in.

Facebook runs the Finnish inspection agency?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Lead out in cuffs posted:

For home use hot tubs, they're usually kept at temperature and covered with an insulated top, because it costs too much energy to be always bringing them up to temp. But, those hot tubs keep the water cycling and thoroughly treated with chlorine and flocculants.

Keeping a hot tub at temperature seems to be more about convenience, because it takes a long time to heat up that volume of water. A hot tub is constantly losing energy - insulation and a cover reduce that loss, but you will always be adding energy to the system via a heater to maintain the water temperature.

Because the rate of thermal exchange increases as the temperature difference increases, you will lose much more energy when the tub is hot. After the tub cools down near ambient, the energy loss slows. Eventually you might even reach ambient temperatures, at which point your tub no longer loses any energy at all, and that difference in energy is pure savings in your pocket.

Freezing is obviously a concern - and I’m not sure if specific heaters appreciate long duty cycles to warm a tub from cold (I think they must be okay since you’ve got to fill it each season), or the effectiveness of the sanitation method at lower temperatures - but energy efficiency is not a good reason to hold your tub at a hot temperature.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

wesleywillis posted:

How long did the mold abatement craze last? I remember that King of The Hill episode.

Never really ended, from what I can tell. i blame black mould, i.e. the awful and unhelpful moniker for a very specific and rarely-encountered mould with unusually high mycotoxin production that infiltrates porous, waterlogged and cellulose-rich building materials. i think i've heard a random layman correctly identify that black mould is distinct from "regular ol mildew", like, once or twice, meanwhile i've heard almost a half-dozen people pay for remediation of their bathrooms out of pocket- not inside the walls but, like, the part they occupy- because they had mildew in their grout and nobody told them you just, like, clean mildew and it's fine and will not poison you

Devor posted:

Keeping a hot tub at temperature seems to be more about convenience, because it takes a long time to heat up that volume of water. A hot tub is constantly losing energy - insulation and a cover reduce that loss, but you will always be adding energy to the system via a heater to maintain the water temperature.

Because the rate of thermal exchange increases as the temperature difference increases, you will lose much more energy when the tub is hot. After the tub cools down near ambient, the energy loss slows. Eventually you might even reach ambient temperatures, at which point your tub no longer loses any energy at all, and that difference in energy is pure savings in your pocket.

Freezing is obviously a concern - and I’m not sure if specific heaters appreciate long duty cycles to warm a tub from cold (I think they must be okay since you’ve got to fill it each season), or the effectiveness of the sanitation method at lower temperatures - but energy efficiency is not a good reason to hold your tub at a hot temperature.

iirc in winter hot tub owners who just want to keep their pool from freezing usually chuck a pond pump and floating de-icing heater in there and don't rely on the main heater; the main systems aren't designed for that weird-rear end like 2% duty cycle thing that just keeps stuff thawed for cheap; you just fire it up once it a while to keep everything working properly, and otherwise treat it like a pond and just give it enough water agitation and surface movement and a little bit of heat to stop an appreciable mass of ice being able to form in the tub

in cold weather agitating the water is a much cheaper way of controlling ice formation than relying entirely on heat b/c the environment doesn't soak up turbulent water's mechanical energy in the way a 50-degree temp differential will aggressively leach heat from the warmer body, insulated or no. i know that just putting ping-pong balls in an animal's water dish exposed to the wind will buy you deicing down to idk -5 to -10 below 0 celcius, so it makes sense that itd follow here

Ambrose Burnside fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Oct 8, 2019

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
e: whoops

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

wesleywillis posted:

As long as it took for public adjusters to realize that a) all of the money was going to mold remediation companies, and b) that the homeowners blamed the PA for their house being uninhabitable for so long.

Also, mold became an additional coveage subject to a separate (much lower) policy limit.

In over twenty years, I never yet encountered any truly toxic mold. During the height of the frenzy (around 2004) I would wipe my finger through black mold & lick it whenever some PA would get alll Chicken Little about how dangerous it was.

However, there remain those with compromised immune systems and/or pulomnary issues who could have a very serious reaction to high spore counts, irrespective of species.

Following inspections of homes (typically, their wet basements) with really high counts, my sinuses would itch for a couple hours.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Oct 8, 2019

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
there's also a fair amount of evidence that some people become sensitized to mould spores after significant exposure and develop allergic symptoms that can worsen with time; contact/exposure sensitivity works that way is widely-acknowledged for all sorts of other substances, so i'd be surprised if it didn't account for at least some of the legit reactions people have to mundane mould spores w/o significant mycotoxin incolvement

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

toplitzin posted:

You ever see someone post a murder-suicide to youtube?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QI-8v5d3mqY

You can see the Asbestos floating in the air. And that camera isn't on a tripod.

Fuuuuck me. Why didn't I see this 10 years ago.
We had a job where just the black residue was left, and tbh, just round the edges, but it still took 5 days using a heavy-duty rotary hand held type sander with ultra hardcore pads. Sometimes the pad would clog within 30 seconds. I think in total about £300+ worth were used.
Once that was done ther was stl manual scraping to finish. And then start the normal sanding. Ugh, it haunts me a decade later.
It was a total nightmare. Gonna show my old boss this and blow his mind.

Yeah, the supply people have their own video of it, and show other bad methods including a band sander (which we also tried) and it clogs in no time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8z-U2pmJi4s

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Oct 8, 2019

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

Nestled on a private 10.65 acre wooded lot with meandering stream this one of a kind home will amaze you. A long tree lined driveway welcomes you to the front of this magnificent home with circular drive and fountain, covered front porch and large backyard concrete patio. The grand open space layout with cathedral ceilings highlights the luxurious temperature controlled saltwater indoor heated pool with plexiglass corner and hot tub. The pool area hosts a Teppanyaki Grill with granite top and ample seating for poolside dining. The great room is home to an open concept kitchen with island, granite counter tops, double ovens, 2 built in microwave ovens, locking natural gas cooktop with custom hood, French door refrigerator, custom cabinets with soft close drawers, large walk-in pantry and recirculating hot water, formal dining area, magnificent Pipe Organ, and second sitting area with gas log fireplace. The great room, kitchen, master suite and lower level all have radiant heat. The Master suite also offers the open concept design with cathedral ceilings, tiled shower, jetted tub, marble double sink vanity, bidet, recirculating hot water and spacious walk in closet and large sitting area. Perfect for extended family, maid or health aide is a perfectly appointed apartment complete with full kitchen, bathroom and open living space. Two additional spacious bedrooms with cathedral ceilings and full bathroom, large laundry room with granite counter and sink with closet and unique heated/air conditioned dog kennel with exterior dog walk complete the main living space. House is wired for surround sound. Downstairs is just as spectacular offering a game room with stage wired for speakers, fully functioning recording studio and control room, 2/3 replica White House Oval Office and expansive storage area. Oversized 3 car garage. House has 2 tankless water heaters, 5 AC/Heat zones, whole house, fully wired, centrally monitored alarm system and partial home automated back up generator. The indoor pool is heated by heat exchanger, pool room control by PoolPak air handling system and the room is wired for speakers. Close to Metro North Trains, shopping and major roads, the homeowners have a transferable parking permit for the New Hamburg Train Station, Huge bonus!!! Enough acreage suitable for Helipad. The perfect getaway home!!

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
1) I kinda want to listen to the 5 drummer band.
2) That's a lovely resolute desk. It's like they just gave up.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Raised by Hamsters posted:

2) That's a lovely resolute desk. It's like they just gave up.

There have been six desks in the Oval Office but that looks like none of them.

Here’s LBJ’s, the worst:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Does anyone actually like “good neighbor” fences?

IMO it looks like rancid dogshit from both sides.

It’s the “split the baby in half” solution.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Platystemon posted:

Does anyone actually like “good neighbor” fences?

IMO it looks like rancid dogshit from both sides.

It’s the “split the baby in half” solution.

gently caress that.

Stick with shadow fence, for christ's sake.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

This one looks decent from both sides.

It’s not the most efficient use of materials though.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/DavidBegnaud/st...ingawful.com%2F

:stonk:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
More like Soft Sandstone Hotel, amirite

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

Ambrose Burnside posted:

there's also a fair amount of evidence that some people become sensitized to mould spores after significant exposure and develop allergic symptoms that can worsen with time; contact/exposure sensitivity works that way is widely-acknowledged for all sorts of other substances, so i'd be surprised if it didn't account for at least some of the legit reactions people have to mundane mould spores w/o significant mycotoxin incolvement

This is my partner's son.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Bacon Taco posted:

This is my partner's son.
It's me as well. Worked with mold for years without a mask without any issues, and more and more with time started realizing "hey, for some reason I can't breath very well around all this mold".

Wear masks while doing demolition, folks. Or woodworking. Or painting. Basically, never take off your masks.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Also don't get bit by ticks.
There is definitely something wrong with our immune systems in general in industrialized countries. We're too easy to sensitize.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
I wonder if it's all the lovely, antibiotic-laced meat we eat.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Scarodactyl posted:

Also don't get bit by ticks.
There is definitely something wrong with our immune systems in general in industrialized countries. We're too easy to sensitize.

People got sick before industrialisation too.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

mycomancy posted:

I wonder if it's all the lovely, antibiotic-laced meat we eat.

Hmm user "mycomancy" tells me not it is not the mold spores making us sick but meat made not to have disease.

:thunk:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

GotLag posted:

People got sick before industrialisation too.

We're not talking any generic sickness, we're talking allergies. Many of the die-if-exposed-to-carrots variety allergies are much more rare in the developing world. There's all kinds of theories, but no one really knows why.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Tapeworm.

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

Blue Footed Booby posted:

We're not talking any generic sickness, we're talking allergies. Many of the die-if-exposed-to-carrots variety allergies are much more rare in the developing world. There's all kinds of theories, but no one really knows why.

Arguably, they're not more rare so much as, well. If you're celiac and don't have any staple foods that aren't drenched in gluten, you're going to die young. Likewise, if you've got a shellfish allergy and your culture eats a lot of seafood, you're not going to have a good time.

So it's certainly possible that the incidence rate is the same, but the survival rate is wildly different if you live in - say - urban Toronto, instead of rural Ghana. Even having access to a doctor who knows that it's possible for the human body to just start noping out aggressively on some foods is going to make a difference there.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

tinytort posted:

Arguably, they're not more rare so much as, well. If you're celiac and don't have any staple foods that aren't drenched in gluten, you're going to die young.
This isn't arguable, because it's been examined (after all, it's the first knee jerk explanation that everyone wants to give). The increase in rates is absolutely real and not accounted for by people just dying young of anaphalaxis.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Scarodactyl posted:

This isn't arguable, because it's been examined (after all, it's the first knee jerk explanation that everyone wants to give). The increase in rates is absolutely real and not accounted for by people just dying young of anaphalaxis.
I've heard the current theory is that we're just not exposed to enough pathogens at a very young age. Which is in many ways good, of course, kids aren't dying at horrific rates of diseases considered commonplace and inevitable child-killers a few centuries ago, but since the immune system on surviving kids isn't getting primed to a bunch of a legit threats at an early age, it might be overly sensitive to things that aren't actually that harmful?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
The immune system, use it or confuse it