Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Filthy Monkey posted:

12 strength is nice if you are going for a bare minimum weapon setup. Enough to one hand a mace and use a royal kite shield. It is hard to go wrong with blunt damage in PvE.

Also, keeping in mind that - if you go for a minimum setup - you probably are some sort of caster, thust making any kind of mace utterly OP in terms of damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Been doing abyss invasions with my Faith Red Iron Twinblade build (so loving good) and was surprised by the fact that multiple people can abyss invade the same dude. Fun times.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Is the new DLC/patch bringing any new anti-cheater features? Hackers kind of ruined multiplayer for me.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

pmchem posted:

Is the new DLC/patch bringing any new anti-cheater features? Hackers kind of ruined multiplayer for me.

I don't get this. I do a lot of invading at a variety of SM tiers and have only run into like four hackers, out of the probably thousands of invasions I've done. Unless you're cursed with the worst luck in the world or something it shouldn't be that bad.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Your experience is not everyone's experience.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Genocyber posted:

I don't get this. I do a lot of invading at a variety of SM tiers and have only run into like four hackers, out of the probably thousands of invasions I've done. Unless you're cursed with the worst luck in the world or something it shouldn't be that bad.

You do a lot of invading. I get invaded every 20 minutes. It's a different experience - invaders are more likely to be hackers than invadees.

Kill one or ten and my char's soul memory is properly screwed up and I can't coop anymore. Don't kill them and, well, goodbye human form and souls!

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

pmchem posted:

You do a lot of invading. I get invaded every 20 minutes. It's a different experience - invaders are more likely to be hackers than invadees.

Kill one or ten and my char's soul memory is properly screwed up and I can't coop anymore.

Don't get how you're getting invaded so much. I make sure to get sin right away and I don't get invaded by poo poo, unfortunately.

That kind of hacking isn't even that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things since you can easily fix it with cheat engine.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

pmchem posted:

Kill one or ten and my char's soul memory is properly screwed up and I can't coop anymore. Don't kill them and, well, goodbye human form and souls!

How the gently caress do you get invaded so frequently?

I'm playing through the game with a new char, I'm by drangleic and haven't been invaded once.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Genocyber posted:

Don't get how you're getting invaded so much. I make sure to get sin right away and I don't get invaded by poo poo, unfortunately.

Yeah I know you may be mystified, but well that's how it's been for two characters of mine. After I kill the first hacker and my SM gets messed up it only gets worse. I cannot explain why I get invaded so much. I presume FROM SOFTWARE just has something real stupid coded somewhere, would not be a shocker right?

Anyway, back to my original question:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

pmchem posted:

Yeah I know you may be mystified, but well that's how it's been for two characters of mine. After I kill the first hacker and my SM gets messed up it only gets worse. I cannot explain why I get invaded so much. I presume FROM SOFTWARE just has something real stupid coded somewhere, would not be a shocker right?

Anyway, back to my original question:

You should know the answer to that question.

Although technically I guess they have covered that particular thing. Apparently there's now a limit to the number of souls you can get from killing a player.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Genocyber posted:

You should know the answer to that question.

Although technically I guess they have covered that particular thing. Apparently there's now a limit to the number of souls you can get from killing a player.

Really? See I haven't read any patch notes or DLC info in several weeks. This is why I was asking the question, to hear relevant changes. What's the new limiting algorithm?

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Has there been any talk about where the DLC fits in the general difficulty progression of the game? Not sure if I want to start a new character to play it or charge in there head first in NG+

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

pmchem posted:

Really? See I haven't read any patch notes or DLC info in several weeks. This is why I was asking the question, to hear relevant changes. What's the new limiting algorithm?

Haha you think Fromsoft would be forthright with specifics (they don't even include all the changes made in the patch notes).

http://pastebin.com/FSGjfSAS

http://farfire.darksoulsii.com/pc/information/index.html

The first is a fan translated one, the second the official translation. I link both because the fan one is more well-translated than the official one, and more accurate (e.g. it correctly says certain armor sets are getting less defense but more poise, while the official one incorrectly states they're getting less defense and more durability).

quote:

An upper limit has been set to the number of Souls a player can earn when fighting off invading players

Good Citizen posted:

Has there been any talk about where the DLC fits in the general difficulty progression of the game? Not sure if I want to start a new character to play it or charge in there head first in NG+

I believe all that you need to do to access it is to beat the Rotten, so it's probably balanced like a final level on a path/the castle.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

TheRagamuffin posted:

If you want a 100% physical shield but really don't want to put any more points in STR than you absolutely need, Royal Kite Shield lets you get away with just 12 STR, rather than the 16 of the Drangleic Shield (RKS is also a couple units lighter). If you don't care that much about a few extra ability points, or want to have enough STR to also 2-hand a few heavier weapons, might as well just use Drangleic Shield. :effort:

I think I have like 30 strength so.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Genocyber posted:

I believe all that you need to do to access it is to beat the Rotten, so it's probably balanced like a final level on a path/the castle.

Cool, new character it is!

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Good Citizen posted:

Cool, new character it is!

That was just a guess I'm making, I could be wrong fyi.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

quote:

An upper limit has been set to the number of Souls a player can earn when fighting off invading players

Okay this is really neat and may help me. So if a SL20 guy kills a ~SL800 guy in DS2 now, how much SM does he get? Hopefully not 440k anymore?

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

The Iron Rose posted:

If you can handle the weight, Tower Shield.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Genocyber posted:

That was just a guess I'm making, I could be wrong fyi.

It's fine either way. I hated the magic character I had around midgame and I haven't played in quite a while so jumping into the deep end with my NG+ melee would be frustrating. Better to ease into it a bit with a new one

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Genocyber posted:

My brother got invaded every ten minutes while I was standing in the same zone (Dragon Aerie) and saw no one for an hour or two. That's without sin though; with sin you're hounded forever until you burn it off.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

My brother got invaded every ten minutes while I was standing in the same zone (Dragon Aerie) and saw no one for an hour or two. That's without sin though; with sin you're hounded forever until you burn it off.

That's the exact situation I'm in. If your brother ever figured out how to not get invaded nonstop I'd love to hear it. Ruins the game. Some really crappy FROM SOFTWARE code somewhere.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

quote:

How to not get invaded constantly

It's called burning effigies and/or staying very-low-SM by not farming things. Side effects include not being able to summon friendly players and having low stats/crap gear, but hey - it's a give/take thing.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

The Iron Rose posted:

My favorite shields in descending order of weight, that require 30 str or less: tower shield, pate's shield, twin dragon greatshield, drakekeeper's shield, archdrake shield/royal kite shield, large leather shield.

Twin dragon greatshield rules, by the way. Goes great with the halberd.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

sushibandit posted:

It's called burning effigies and/or staying very-low-SM by not farming things. Side effects include not being able to summon friendly players and having low stats/crap gear, but hey - it's a give/take thing.

Dude, you're missing the context of most of this page of the thread. I was in a situation where I was invaded unusually frequently for no apparent reason, and then killing a hacker would get me 440k SM only worsening the situation. Apparently I'm not the only one, judging by that guy's brother a few posts above. It's a rare, unusual case but very weird and very game ruining.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
I am hype to be a Sunken King.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I get invaded about every ten minutes but I'm in the top SM tier. I thought NG invasions were pretty scarce but then again I'm a 360 player and people can't hack their SM to be 0 on console.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I don't get invaded super frequently but still more than one of the people who invaded me were cheaters, and of the ~100 PvP encounters I've had with other players, there have been about 10 obvious cheaters so far.

That is absurdly many out of 100. I have never played a game with so many cheaters and that percentage of them would render any kind of team-based competitive game absolutely unplayable. It's really not acceptable and while I did have some good fun in the rat team and sentinels, I'm probably not going to use the rat ring or blue eye orbs anymore.

The best string was when I had an invincible rat phantom, then the second enemy player after that was invincible too, and then the second after that just ran past and suicided to throw enough souls at me to push me up 4 soul memory tiers. A good online community!

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jul 22, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Nahxela posted:

I am hype to be a Sunken King.

I'd rather kill one and nick his hat, personally.

I had two invincible people while farming chunks as a bellbro today. One guy I found twice. Each time I backstabbed him and black crystal'd out while he was getting back up, maybe it's possible to make him fall out of bounds in Belfry Sol but it's not worth the effort.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I don't get invaded super frequently but still more than one of the people who invaded me were cheaters, and of the ~100 PvP encounters I've had with other players, there have been about 10 obvious cheaters so far.

That is absurdly many out of 100. I have never played a game with so many cheaters and that percentage of them would render any kind of team-based competitive game absolutely unplayable. It's really not acceptable and while I did have some good fun in the rat team and sentinels, I'm probably not going to use the rat ring or blue eye orbs anymore.

The best string was when I had an invincible rat phantom, then the second enemy player after that was invincible too, and then the second after that just ran past and suicided to throw enough souls at me to push me up 4 soul memory tiers. A good online community!

Yup, this is why I quit playing (plus I got invaded super frequently, every 10-20 min). I was hoping the DLC would attempt to address this sort of thing.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I don't have most other multiplayer games, but from what I hear hacking is extremely common in them. I don't know what voodoo god you pissed off to get that kind of bad luck but I've run into a grand total of five hackers (all hosts) in my much greater amount of time in this game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I have only been invaded like six times, ever, in 200+ hours of gametime on PC and 360. None of those were hackers. I'd count myself lucky but it's made the game pretty goddamn boring. I remember posting about how invasions suck and I still think that, but I have amended my statement to include "but the game sucks slightly more without them". v:geno:v

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

pmchem posted:

Yup, this is why I quit playing (plus I got invaded super frequently, every 10-20 min). I was hoping the DLC would attempt to address this sort of thing.

Why would they fix hacking in DLC? That would be totally outrageous if you had to pay to fix the multiplayer.

menieres_4_life
Oct 27, 2007

You don't need equilibrioception to balance the books - in space!
I put down my sunbro sign near the entrance to the DLC and was summoned in by someone.

That was a shitload of poison statues.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Bobnumerotres posted:

Why would they fix hacking in DLC? That would be totally outrageous if you had to pay to fix the multiplayer.

I agree but I was hoping they'd time a general patch for dlc release.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

pmchem posted:

I agree but I was hoping they'd time a general patch for dlc release.

They did.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

pmchem posted:

Dude, you're missing the context of most of this page of the thread. I was in a situation where I was invaded unusually frequently for no apparent reason, and then killing a hacker would get me 440k SM only worsening the situation. Apparently I'm not the only one, judging by that guy's brother a few posts above. It's a rare, unusual case but very weird and very game ruining.

Since there's nothing that we as players are going to be able to figure out about FROM's weird coding idiosyncrasies, the only obvious solution is... an obvious one. Hence my answer.

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if their matchmaking server basically works the same that DS1 did in that it places people into "pools" of online IP addresses for invasions/summoning, a theory that is strengthened by the way it seems the Name-Engraved Ring works.

That said, it's likely that in the (rare) case of serial invasions by the same person, their IP was staying in the same pool as yours and they were actively, serially invading. I'd hazard a guess that if more people invaded, you'd see more cases like this. As it stands though, most people aren't doing any invading at all, except maybe to burn the few free cracked orbs they get in a normal playthrough, which is why it's odd when it does happen.

For example, when I was burning through a few stacks of 99 orbs on my 1.5m SM lance mage at the Iron Keep bridge, I would spawn in the same handful of players' worlds a few times per evening of invasions.

There, happy?

Edit: you know what I mean. Most invaders in NG aren't going to have stacks of orbs that they spend a few hours in a single location invading nonstop with. "Normal" invaders (due to FROM's orbs fuckup/failure) are going to invade a few times and then move on or go farm a few more orbs, which means they are way less likely to invade the same dude ten times in a row.

sushibandit fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jul 22, 2014

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

pmchem posted:

That's the exact situation I'm in. If your brother ever figured out how to not get invaded nonstop I'd love to hear it. Ruins the game. Some really crappy FROM SOFTWARE code somewhere.

Don't sin idiot.

Edit : or just block ds2 from the internet. Alternatively just unplug your router babby

neonbregna fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jul 22, 2014

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

neonbregna posted:

Don't sin idiot.

Abstinence only education has never worked

e:

neonbregna posted:

Edit : or just block ds2 from the internet. Alternatively just unplug your router babby

Pulling out also not a great solution

Good Citizen fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jul 22, 2014

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

sushibandit posted:

and they were actively, serially invading.

Holy poo poo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

How is this latest patch? Just from reading it, it looks like my entire build (Havel's with Defender Greatsword and Lightning Spears) was nerfed into the loving ground.