Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TenaciousTomato posted:

Ok, that. Whatever the 5X uses.

The pixel supports faster charging than the 5X.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

PerrineClostermann posted:

The pixel supports faster charging than the 5X.

Technically, only the Pixel XL.

The standard Pixel can only do 5v3A.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

bull3964 posted:

Huh? The Belkin one can do both 5v3A and 9v2A, so it can rapid charge the Pixel.

In theory it should work, but a bug on the Pixel prevents it from actually working. If you don't have a Pixel, I suppose this would be a great charger.

https://plus.google.com/102612254593917101378/posts/SYq8iPEGv2Y?sfc=true

Unless you're saying they fixed the bug, and you can rapid-charge your 5" Pixel, in which case I'll order one immediately.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

That's not the correct Belkin charger.

This one is.

http://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-F7U004/

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Great, now I see further down that he says that charger is completely bad.

Maybe he shouldn't have rated these chargers as good before he had a chance to test them.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

EDIT: Nevermind.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
This is all very confusing. Particularly with reviews all being US based.

Can you use the other cable that came with the pixel, (with the big end) with any old phone plug charger in a pinch?

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

CLAM DOWN posted:

I usually buy Monoprice cables which specifically make it clear that they're approved good USB-C ones, I recommend you all do the same.

From the reviews I've seen, it looks like you're right. I'll probably get a spare wall charger from them, then.

MeKeV posted:

This is all very confusing. Particularly with reviews all being US based.

Can you use the other cable that came with the pixel, (with the big end) with any old phone plug charger in a pinch?

Yes, shouldn't be a problem. Only thing that's theoretically an issue would be a sketchy charger with Quick Charge ramping up the voltage unasked. I haven't heard of that actually happening though.

azurite fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jan 14, 2017

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

gently caress it all, I'm going back to my A chargers with A-C cables. This is a cluster gently caress of the first order.

USB-C obviously still isn't ready for prime time. I'm annoyed as gently caress that I spent about $70 on his recommendations to buy new chargers and NOW he's saying they're bad.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

azurite posted:

It is such a huge pain in the rear end to find proper cables and chargers. I can't even buy a compliant car charger because the SINGLE KNOWN GOOD Belkin one won't rapid-charge a Pixel. I'm currently using a car charger brand (Nekteck) that Benson previously approved, but Nathan K. subsequently shat all over.

The Benson-approved Tronsmart USB C car charger rapid charges Pixels and Pixels XL just fine.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jan 14, 2017

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

bull3964 posted:

gently caress it all, I'm going back to my A chargers with A-C cables. This is a cluster gently caress of the first order.

USB-C obviously still isn't ready for prime time. I'm annoyed as gently caress that I spent about $70 on his recommendations to buy new chargers and NOW he's saying they're bad.

Blame the companies that thought USB PD/USB C was going to be the same as old school, dumb USB charging. They got away with using cheap manufacturing and QA for a very long time, and now it's coming back to bite them.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

LastInLine posted:

The Benson-approved Tronsmart USB C car charger rapid charges Pixels just fine.

I would go against the charger with the cable built in as some reviews mention the end being brittle and breaking (causing a few Pixels charging ports to be zapped).

I'd go with This one. I have 2

and This brand of Cable as I have like 4 of them now, they are well built, quick charge properly, and feel like they will last a good while.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Blame the companies that thought USB PD/USB C was going to be the same as old school, dumb USB charging. They got away with using cheap manufacturing and QA for a very long time, and now it's coming back to bite them.

No, I blame the standards body for not having a comprehensive enough certification process.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

bull3964 posted:

No, I blame the standards body for not having a comprehensive enough certification process.

The standards body has a comprehensive certification process. Stop buying from manufacturers that don't submit their products to get certified?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Looking though recent tests, he shits on the Verizon car charger I have a little bit, but it's mainly about the overcurrent threshold being too high. So that's manageable at least. Certainly seems like the lesser of all the charger evils out there.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The standards body has a comprehensive certification process. Stop buying from manufacturers that don't submit their products to get certified?

Plenty of stuff that passed certification has been proven bad.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

This mentions an exchange program for the chargers you have.

EdEddnEddy posted:

I would go against the charger with the cable built in as some reviews mention the end being brittle and breaking (causing a few Pixels charging ports to be zapped).

I'd go with This one. I have 2

and This brand of Cable as I have like 4 of them now, they are well built, quick charge properly, and feel like they will last a good while.

Thanks, the Pixel has such great battery life that it's not like it's getting a lot of use but when it comes time this looks like a great replacement.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jan 14, 2017

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

LastInLine posted:

This mentions an exchange program for the chargers you have.

Well, one charger.

The options aren't great though. Either exchange it today with the 15w one which is safe but charges the pixel as slow as an A charger or wait an indeterminate period of time for them to fix it and hope the fixed one is OK.

At least the car it's in isn't used much in the winter.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

LastInLine posted:

The Benson-approved Tronsmart USB C car charger rapid charges Pixels and Pixels XL just fine.

I looked at that one, and supposedly the very latest revision passes with flying colors. However, it was mentioned that the packaging is inconsistent and people were still getting the older models with the literal port-frying issues. I'm a bit uneasy about the whole thing.

I use this one, which is "Benson-approved." Nathan K hasn't shat on this one yet, but he has on another charger of the same brand. I only see one review reporting physical damage (versus many on the Tronsmart), which I'm assuming was a freak short.

https://www.amazon.com/charger-Nekteck-Charger-Adapter-Integrated/dp/B0172QQNBY

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I do have this one that Benson has said was good as well. I just wonder if it will pass more rigorous testing.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B014...fUML&ref=plSrch

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I got lucky, after 2 Note 7s I have spare USB A to C cables now :smug:

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

bull3964 posted:

I do have this one that Benson has said was good as well. I just wonder if it will pass more rigorous testing.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B014...fUML&ref=plSrch

Nathan K reviews and approves a Monoprice charger, and he alludes to the fact that the one you linked is the reference design Monoprice used. I'd say that one's probably alright.

(Monoprice wall charger with reference to the Vinsic)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GSLXMWW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1IZYUD9B8EI1C

I completely agree with you in that it's absurd that we have to do this level of research to verify that this stuff isn't dangerous.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

azurite posted:

Be careful with the Verizon chargers. The wall plug is good, the included cable is bad. Their car chargers are also re-branded and range from very good to very bad.

https://plus.google.com/102612254593917101378/posts/SpiohgXQwkp?sfc=true

If I'm reading that right, the cable gets interference and can corrupt data. Sounds like it's fine for charging. Am I wrong?

bull3964 posted:

I bought the Verizon charger cause I forgot mine while traveling and needed one ASAP. Was told that poor A-C cables were the riskiest ones at breaking your devices. Just buying a cheaper cable was my first instinct.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Say what you will about proprietary charging standards, but you never heard of problems like this with Qualcomm Quick Charge devices.

Maybe that'll be our saving grace. Qualcomm has said that QC4 is USB-PD compliant. So maybe the safest stuff to buy in 6 months or so will be QC4 chargers.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Uthor posted:

If I'm reading that right, the cable gets interference and can corrupt data. Sounds like it's fine for charging. Am I wrong?

I bought the Verizon charger cause I forgot mine while traveling and needed one ASAP. Was told that poor A-C cables were the riskiest ones at breaking your devices. Just buying a cheaper cable was my first instinct.

I have a bunch of tested good A-C cables. Your situation was that you couldn't get one easily.

The issue with that cable is twofold. The data corruption also can mess with the signaling data that regulates the charge rate. Also, the ground is suspect so putting a metal phone on a metal surface while charging could short everything

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Uthor posted:

I think the problem here is the grounding issues he found could interfere with PD and the touchscreen, in addition to data.

bull3964 posted:

Say what you will about proprietary charging standards, but you never heard of problems like this with Qualcomm Quick Charge devices.

Maybe that'll be our saving grace. Qualcomm has said that QC4 is USB-PD compliant. So maybe the safest stuff to buy in 6 months or so will be QC4 chargers.

Or the chargers with QC4 could fail even more spectacularly at a higher voltage! :getin:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
QC4 should just be power delivery with strict standards so anything that is QC4 would be safe. But that would be too simple, and not proprietary.

I just want good/safe chargers. My laptop has (optional) type C power input now too.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

All i know is that when i put my micro usb cable into my phone it charges with fast charging. I'm glad i dont have to worry about my phone exploding.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
A friend is looking for a new phone. What's the best device you can get right now new (as in not used), unlocked, and around $300?

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jan 14, 2017

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
That sounds like....Moto G4?

Melraidin
Oct 11, 2005

LastInLine posted:

I destroyed mine attempting to do it. :smith:

What happened to yours?

Mine, I had problems with the speaker and battery at the same time. Tried replacing the speaker but turns out it wasn't the speaker module but simple the connection to the motherboard. Put a couple tiny slices of pool noodle behind it to add a little more pressure to the connection, worked fine.

That is, until I tried replacing the battery.

64bit_Dophins posted:

My roommate gave me her old Nexus 5 and the battery is starting to go.

How easy is it to replace the battery in a Nexus 5? Is it worth attempting?

I tried to replace the battery on my Nexus 5. After fixing the speaker the battery was the only thing that was causing me issues. Got a reasonably priced battery, tried the replacement, then found my phone whining that the cache partition was not writable. At this point the only way to rescue the phone would be to replace the motherboard, not worth it.

If you are going to try replacing the battery my only suggestion is to allow the battery to drain completely. That was something people suggested in threads talking about the issue I encountered. Of course, no one mentioned it in discussions of how to replace the battery. Whether that will actually avoid the problem is a gamble though. Or, maybe my phone failed for other reasons, no way to be certain.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Melraidin posted:

What happened to yours?

Once it was back together NFC, Qi, and all radios no longer worked. The battery seemed fine though.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

LastInLine posted:

Once it was back together NFC, Qi, and all radios no longer worked. The battery seemed fine though.

Battery life probably vastly improved :haw:

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

That sounds like....Moto G4?

Over a Moto X Pure? I guess updates are better than power?

Any other good options in that range or is it all at $400?

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

mango sentinel posted:

Over a Moto X Pure? I guess updates are better than power?

Any other good options in that range or is it all at $400?

Don't forget that the modern G4s (except the Play) pack a 617, not a 410. They're not on-par with the 808, but they're not [i]that[i] much slower.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

So, I have a discoloration on the center-left side of my Pixel's screen. I thought it might've been my imagination or the diffraction of the glass or whatever, but nope. I had the screen on low brightness with a gray screen and there it was: a big, dark blotch.

Time to talk to the Google Store. :suicide:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

azurite posted:

Nathan K reviews and approves a Monoprice charger, and he alludes to the fact that the one you linked is the reference design Monoprice used. I'd say that one's probably alright.

(Monoprice wall charger with reference to the Vinsic)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GSLXMWW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1IZYUD9B8EI1C

I completely agree with you in that it's absurd that we have to do this level of research to verify that this stuff isn't dangerous.

Checked the spreadsheet and the Vinsic is on it now and gets a -1 rating. Big thing is that it also likely only does 1.5A due to IR drop like the Belkin charger and it may only be 4.6v at 3A. Sigh. At least it won't fry any devices. I'm just not knowing where that info is coming from because it's not mention in Benson's review of it.

Funnily enough, my Verizon charger is actually the highest rated outside of the 15w Beklin that only does 1.5a. I guess I'll just hold on to that one and put an A charger with A-C cable in the off season car until belkin can replace the 27 watt one.

And maybe, hopefully, someone will actually come out with a GOOD car charger for USB-C

God loving DAMNIT. I'm out. gently caress USB-C forever.

https://plus.google.com/102612254593917101378/posts/Fniz6bt2ssd?sfc=true

I picked up two of these C-C cables based on a glowing Benson review and now they are confirmed as bad. At least the manufacturer seems to be issuing refunds, I'll have to pursue that. I definitely have a v2 version of the cable that's confirmed as "VERY BAD."

At least the Anker C-C cables I have are only listed as a -1 and that's only because it was the sister model to the one that Anker had to recall, but HOPEFULLY that one should be ok.

It also appears that Nathan K is going dark on USB-C analysis. There's nothing fully public I've been able to find, but it really smells as if he and Benson are going to be sued by some large manufacturers.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

They've got bad C-C cables now?!

Yeah, USB-IF completely hosed up. They need to kill Type C and try again.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

dont be mean to me posted:

They've got bad C-C cables now?!

There are a shitton of bad C-C cables.

A-C got the focus early on, but it turns out those were easy by just putting a resistor in them. C cables can have eMarkers. They can be 2.0, 3.1 (gen1 and gen2), Thunderbolt, 60w ratings, 100w ratings. There are so many permutations before even starting to focus on actual construction issues.

USB-IF certification doesn't seem to be extensive enough and there's absolutely no teeth behind the abuse of saying something is certified when it really wasn't. Most manufacturers subcontract all this work out, so they have to rely on how honest their partners are. Even those partners subcontract out some of that work to others so then you are multiple levels removed.

In an ideal world, the brand would take samples of their products and undergo their own independent tests to check for problems, but that adds costs and delays time to market. That's what they are paying their partners to do, so why should they do it?

The Pixel OEM charger and cable is good at least. Though, at $25 for just the cable from google, it seems like a better value to buy a Pixel OEM charger for $10 more and get the cable as well.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jan 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug
(cross post / copy from app thread)

I asked about this a while back, but don't think any responses came: is there a decent simple way to get Moto-style custom phrases for the "OK Google" features built in to most newer phones?

I know there's a bit of flexibility with the default Google stuff, but the truly unique or personal options with Motorola phones has been the best implementation I've seen. Any news or suggestions? No root