Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Disco Dickdog posted:

Electrical issues, ahoy!

2010 Outback 2.5i. Key fob doesn't work, the internal clock/temperature/mpg/miles to empty readout on the top of the dash doesn't work, puddle lights, and all interior lights don't work. Googled around and those are all on one circuit, fuse #34. Replaced the fuse (10A), when I turned on the ignition it blew immediately. There was a recall for the puddle lights a couple of years ago, but apparently they did it when I had a dealership service it one time.

The dealership said 3 hours diagnostic minimum. Is there a way to pull out the puddle lights and see if that's the issue, then replace/bypass entirely if so? Could this issue be the Body Integrated Unit? I'm decently handy and would rather buy tools/parts than pay the dealership for something I could do myself.

Pull the bulbs and replace the fuse and give it another shot? Would hopefully at least open that part of the circuit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

So I bought this tired old piece of poo poo

I might be waiting a while for the timing belt to go, which gives me time to hunt for a built replacement engine

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Is there any real difference between different brands of coilovers?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Well. Yeah. Although there is also a lot of stuff that's just the same poo poo with different colors and labels.

What car do you have, why are you shopping for coilovers, how much do you want to spend?

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

I have a gf8 and the chassis has 200k km so I want to replace everything. 95 % street use with occasional track days. I'm in Australia so pricing is probably different, but I wouldn't want to spend more than 2500 aud, would that get me anything decent? What does a set of 6k KW do better than some MCA blue?

I'll probably just stick with whiteline for swaybars, bushings, control arms and maybe anti lift, separate budget.

lilbeefer fucked around with this message at 04:57 on May 20, 2018

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
300 AUD is not coilover money. Don't buy anything labelled as a racey coilover for 300 bucks, you are going to get a poo poo product. Please don't buy BC BRs or any of that cheap junk either, if you want to save money, get some shock inserts.

If you think you'll own the car for a long while and can justify saving up some more, the MCA's are very good. Murray and Josh are both extremely knowledgable people, and they are happy to talk suspension all day long if you email them. They are very popular in Australia for a reason.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

WTF I meant 2500 I have no loving idea how I managed to post 300 :psyduck:

You are the second person who has recommended me against bc racing coilovers

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
You are in Australia? MCA is always the answer with coilvers here. Doesnt nmatter the application, MCA have got a level for you.

You will pay 2K but eh.... honestly worth every cent and you wont do better. And TBH I have never heard a bad word about Murray or Josh and certainly the times Ive had questions they have been straight up with great service.

Give em a call tell them what you want.

Edit : Anything cheaper that MCA will be poo poo and you will have to pay a whoooooole lot more to do better

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 06:24 on May 20, 2018

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Also post pics of your wagon.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Edit : Anything cheaper that MCA will be poo poo and you will have to pay a whoooooole lot more to do better

yeah this is basically the reason you buy mca in australia. dunno about the rest of the world where they probably cost a lot more but they are made in Gympie or Brisbane depending on what one you get, so support is close + shipping is domestic or free if you can do pickup.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 06:49 on May 20, 2018

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Is it worth the 500 extra to go from street blues to street performance?

https://mcasuspension.com/suspension

No good pics yet. I've test driven it (it is basically stock and is much slower than a previous gc8 I owned) and the guy is roadworthying it for me so I'll pick it up next week. It has bug eye STi wheels on it but I'm also getting the stock wheels which I think I might use as tyres will be cheaper and I think the period incorrect wheels look weird. Who knows what extent of PO fuckery exists, but it seems quite clean...

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.
Hey CT, do you know if there's any aftermarket replacements for the self-levelling rear struts in an SG available here in Oz? From what I can tell, there's nothing besides spending way too much money to buy they from the dealer. I was actually pretty impressed with how well they worked even when it was loaded to the max, and can't complain that they survived 250k km before one of them started leaking, but looks like I could probably buy a full MCA suspension for the price of two struts from the dealer.

Looks like the goto replacement is just some King springs and regular KYB Excel-Gs, since the stock springs are too soft to work well with the non self-levelling struts?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

fickle poofterist posted:

Is it worth the 500 extra to go from street blues to street performance?

https://mcasuspension.com/suspension

No good pics yet. I've test driven it (it is basically stock and is much slower than a previous gc8 I owned) and the guy is roadworthying it for me so I'll pick it up next week. It has bug eye STi wheels on it but I'm also getting the stock wheels which I think I might use as tyres will be cheaper and I think the period incorrect wheels look weird. Who knows what extent of PO fuckery exists, but it seems quite clean...

The more track time, the more the answer is yes. Otherwise..... eh.

If you are in NSW, I have a set of MY00 wheels that are only holding a shell off the ground.

JBark posted:

Hey CT, do you know if there's any aftermarket replacements for the self-levelling rear struts in an SG available here in Oz? From what I can tell, there's nothing besides spending way too much money to buy they from the dealer. I was actually pretty impressed with how well they worked even when it was loaded to the max, and can't complain that they survived 250k km before one of them started leaking, but looks like I could probably buy a full MCA suspension for the price of two struts from the dealer.

Looks like the goto replacement is just some King springs and regular KYB Excel-Gs, since the stock springs are too soft to work well with the non self-levelling struts?

There's a KYB drop in and Pedders supposedly do a replacement. The OEM's are actually made by Tokico so you may be able to get them without the Subaru tax... TBH the self levellers arent cheap whatever way you go.

Yep, the stock springs wont work with a non self leveller shocks. No biggie, considering the OEM cost.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

So is this 9-2X Aero with an STI swap hot garbage or what?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2006-Saab-9-2X-Aero-/253641476446?&_trksid=p2056016.l4276#viTabs_0

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Well... swapped in a STI 6 speed and suspension with some good bits, rebuilt engine looks to have decentish internals, the fact it's on basically stock rubber and brakes is hilarious. It's basically a forums car - bolt on what they heard other people on a forum were doing... so they havent done anything wrong as per say it's just funny what they left out.

If he was asking 14K in Aussie dollars..... yeah maaaaaaaybe but in USD? Too much.

Not hot garbage, just overpriced

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Not hot garbage, just overpriced

I sold a stock 2006 manual with 110k miles for 11k a couple years back. They're pretty rare here. If it were me I'd probably pick up a 2006 WRX for the better brakes (if it were stock for stock). Doesn't seem too crazy.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

14k in aussie dollars would be a steal consider what numpties are asking on car sales.

Is dccd worth it? When I eventually 6 speed this thing?

Edit: speaking of numpties, I've been keeping an eye on vr4 galants for about 12 months. Look what is available on car sales for a laugh

lilbeefer fucked around with this message at 14:31 on May 23, 2018

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Does anyone have any experience with those takeout turbo engines on ebay from Japan? Some of the prices seem way too good to be true. Theres engine/5 speed combos with all the accessories for 1-2 grand with supposedly low mileage. I think the engine in my outback is not long for this world and I was thinking about splicing one of those into my car if one of those is cheap enough to make messing around with it worth it.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

shy boy from chess club posted:

Does anyone have any experience with those takeout turbo engines on ebay from Japan? Some of the prices seem way too good to be true. Theres engine/5 speed combos with all the accessories for 1-2 grand with supposedly low mileage. I think the engine in my outback is not long for this world and I was thinking about splicing one of those into my car if one of those is cheap enough to make messing around with it worth it.

Usually they are exactly as described, condition, what they come with etc. Whose the source?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

I havent looked in a while but I think a lot of them were from the same place that imports them. Ill see what I can find. I guess if the feedback is good its worth a shot.

Something like this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/263466030816

Looks like the wiring harness and everything is there. Hopefully not missing too much nickel and dime bullshit.

Then Ill look around to see what it takes yo make it run ECU and wiring wise.

shy boy from chess club fucked around with this message at 01:05 on May 24, 2018

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Paint is ok. A few sections of bare metal, how long until rust?

Some sort of dump pipe. Also CAI. Otherwise stock standard

Bugeye (I think) sti seats. Box on the seat is a spare barrel because at some stage someone broke into the car.

Recently replaced tail lights, old ones had moisture
Original wheels with good tread on the tyres.
Also an airbag delete which replaces passenger airbag with a cubby box. Don't think I'll use it.
A used Nardi steering wheel.
A set of brand new whiteline camber bolts

So happy to be in a g#8 again!!

I have MCA blue on order, but will wait until ive have enough money to get some other stuff like sway bars and control arms, and just get it all done at once.

THEN engine. Vf34 maybe, link ECU, maybe a 3" TB... the usual

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I know this isn’t the general bend of the thread, but I’m looking pretty hard at buying an Ascent to haul a trailer.

NINETEEN CUP HOLDERS YALL

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

fickle poofterist posted:

Paint is ok. A few sections of bare metal, how long until rust?

Some sort of dump pipe. Also CAI. Otherwise stock standard

Bugeye (I think) sti seats. Box on the seat is a spare barrel because at some stage someone broke into the car.

Recently replaced tail lights, old ones had moisture
Original wheels with good tread on the tyres.
Also an airbag delete which replaces passenger airbag with a cubby box. Don't think I'll use it.
A used Nardi steering wheel.
A set of brand new whiteline camber bolts

So happy to be in a g#8 again!!

I have MCA blue on order, but will wait until ive have enough money to get some other stuff like sway bars and control arms, and just get it all done at once.

THEN engine. Vf34 maybe, link ECU, maybe a 3" TB... the usual

That Nardi wheel and the airbag delete....... iiiiif you arent going to use them would be interested in selling?

That wagon is in drat good condition for it's age. My GF8 is a horrifying shitshow right now......

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Looks like Subaru announced the 2019 WRX/STI:

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/05/24/2019-subaru-wrx-sti-pricing-limited-edition/

quote:

The Subaru WRX and STI were refreshed for 2018 with updated styling and some new options. America also got the limited-edition WRX STI Type RA, a tribute to the car that made a Nürburgring lap record attempt. Not much has changed for 2019, though we get a new special edition and a new and much needed infotainment system. Also, the STI finally gets a boost in power! The tried and true EJ now cranks out 310 horses. Rejoice?

Pricing has gone up a bit for 2019, though it's still competitive with the rest of the segment. A base manual-equipped WRX now starts at $28,080, up $225 over the 2018 model. For comparison, a new 2018 Volkswagen GTI starts at $27,265. Stepping up to a WRX Premium will set you back $30,380 or $32,280 if you want a WRX with a CVT. A WRX Limited starts at $32,680 or $34,580 with the CVT. Premium and Limited models with the CVT get standard Subaru EyeSight, though that doesn't actually include a whole lot. The only features are auto vehicle hold, an electronic parking brake and an EyeSight status indicator.

There is a new WRX Premium Series.Gray model. The special edition is limited to just 750 units and starts at $32,585. It comes standard with the Performance Package, Ultrasuede-trimmed Recaro seats, a power driver's seat, Jurid front brake pads, a moonroof delete, LED headlights, LED fog lights and keyless entry with push-button start.

The updated WRX STI starts at $37,480 and is only available with a manual transmission. Updates include a retuned ECU, stronger pistons and a shorter third gear ratio, helping improve acceleration. Torque vectoring and a controllable center differential are still standard. The WRX STI Limited will run you $42,280 and offers a low-profile spoiler option for those that don't want the iconic rear wing. There's also a WRX STI Series.Gray model. For $39,965, you get a base STI with Recaro seats, a power driver's seat and keyless entry with push-button start.

Individual options include the $2,050 Performance Package (red Brembo calipers, Recaro seats and a moonroof delete) and the $2,100 navigation system with blind-spot monitoring and cross-traffic alert.

Not that anybody was expecting anything huge for MY2019, but the WRX looks unchanged except for the special edition.

STI gets +5hp and maybe won't blow as many motors with its "stronger pistons"?

Disappointing that they didn't update the head unit to have Apple Car Play or Android Auto like the rest of their lineup. I guess we'll have to wait until the generational change for that, hopefully 2020.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Maybe they moved the forged pistons from the Type-RA into the regular model?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Still no hatch, wake me up when they announce MY2020.

edit: speaking of: I've got a partially-clogged rear hatch wiper fluid nozzle. My usual method would be to pop the nozzle out and then drop it into warm water with vinegar in it to break up whatever might be clogging it, and then blowing it out with the compressor, but that's going to involve popping out the center tail light, and to do THAT, I have to remove the cosmetic spoiler.

Anyone got tips for unclogging the thing that don't require extreme disassembly?

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 00:07 on May 25, 2018

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Ooh Autoblog missed a bullet point from the official Subaru announcement: http://media.subaru.com/pressrelease/1281/117/subaru-america-announces-pricing-2019-wrx-wrx-sti

quote:

New infotainment with standard Apple CarPlay™ and Android™ Auto

Huzzah.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Still no hatch, wake me up when they announce MY2020.

edit: speaking of: I've got a partially-clogged rear hatch wiper fluid nozzle. My usual method would be to pop the nozzle out and then drop it into warm water with vinegar in it to break up whatever might be clogging it, and then blowing it out with the compressor, but that's going to involve popping out the center tail light, and to do THAT, I have to remove the cosmetic spoiler.

Anyone got tips for unclogging the thing that don't require extreme disassembly?

poke it with a needle?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Guinness posted:

Ooh Autoblog missed a bullet point from the official Subaru announcement: http://media.subaru.com/pressrelease/1281/117/subaru-america-announces-pricing-2019-wrx-wrx-sti

Huzzah.

The latest feature to chase is wireless carplay which is 1000x times awesomer.

dk2m
May 6, 2009
It really pains me how boring the STI has become compared to the competition. I have no idea why anyone would get that over an RS or a Type R.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

dk2m posted:

It really pains me how boring the STI has become compared to the competition. I have no idea why anyone would get that over an RS or a Type R.

Personally as I look at it, because it has a real AWD system and isn't a weird orphan?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm not sure you want to classify the STI is not a weird orphan since it's being discontinued in multiple countries, is still on an EJ engine, and still on a last gen platform.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

dk2m posted:

I have no idea why anyone would get that over an RS or a Type R.

Ford, FWD

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I just bought some Hella Sharptones and this wiring harness from Subispeed, and despite the wiring harness saying it'll work with a 2017 Forester, it's not quite right. The installation video (queued up here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSGxeyTc0gI&t=167s) says that the two male connectors will tap into the factory horn harness, unfortunately the Forester horn harness is a single pin, so I'm probably going to have to splice it. There are two other slots on the connector, but I'm not sure if I can tap into them.

Suggestions? I'm really bad at all things electrical.

Wiring harness male connectors to tap into factory harness:

Factory horn harness for '17 Forester. Single female connector is the wide bottom slot. Two ??? connectors on top.

Installed, but not wired

edit: there's actually two stock horns, the second is on the lower passenger side. I might just go get some wiring and make my own harness.

JUST MAKING CHILI fucked around with this message at 17:34 on May 26, 2018

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

bull3964 posted:

I'm not sure you want to classify the STI is not a weird orphan since it's being discontinued in multiple countries, is still on an EJ engine, and still on a last gen platform.

I'm with you man. I love my WRX, but with my dollars on the line, no way my next car is a Subaru. Not much car for the money.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Today I traded my 2013 Crosstrek for a 2018 Impreza hatchback. :toot:

I’m still getting used to the lower ride height, but it’s a nice car.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
It's a nicer car, because you also lose *weight* on top of the lower ride height. (Are they directly correlated? I don't know. But the Crosstrek has always felt like a whale compared to a much more nimble hatch Impreza, center of gravity differences aside.)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Impreza only weighs about 100 pounds less. Most of the extra zoomy feel comes from being closer to the pavement, it changes how fast a given speed feels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

edit: there's actually two stock horns, the second is on the lower passenger side. I might just go get some wiring and make my own harness.

its really easy just cut the connectors off the old wire and splice them to connectors for the hella tones and you're done. its a very simple install