Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
oh I know that stuff; I actually managed to get Jaheira's Harper pin for the first time in that same playthrough, because I kept pausing the game and then getting distracted and coming back an hour later, and stopped to rest outside the De'Arnise Keep whenever I was traveling places; it was just specifically those banters tripping me up because that didn't seem to work for them. Either I just had bad luck or they couldn't fire in the places I was trying to force them, which were incidentally all places I had seen romance dialogues and assumed they'd be chat friendly spots.

back on the PC version I'd just use the AdvanceRealTime command and end up breaking a flag and did not have the knowhow to look up and fix whatever variable I'd broken

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Huh, so Sendai's Enclave is where KOTOR 1 got the idea of "send out all my minions to kill the powerful protagonist about to come kill me" from! That was a very cool moment, even better was going down the other tunnels and killing all the spiders too for the extra XP :getin:

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
You went through the slaves tunnel?? Monster.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

I went through both! Plus it's not like the game took away reputation from me for killing any of those slaves so i'm free and clear alignment wise :colbert:

Funny enough though in the Hell section at the end of SOA i misread what the demon was talking about in the room where you either lose a bunch of stat points or sacrifice a companion (RIP Korgan, good thing i have a couple of charges left in that Rod of Ressurection) so i went through the door on the right which was the only Evil i action i ended up taking in all the trials but now because of that i'm getting all the Evil room changes in ToB.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

The alignments in 2nd edition Dungeons and Debates are dumb, the whole Hell trials are dumb, and it makes more sense (sort of) in Planescape: Torment. That doesn't help you right now though, but that is a fun game to consider! And the evil choices are horrifying, so you won't make mistakes. Unless you want to!

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
The hell trials are good because you can power game your way to permanent stat bonuses so really who can say if they are badly written.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.

The Shame Boy posted:

so i went through the door on the right which was the only Evil i action i ended up taking in all the trials but now because of that i'm getting all the Evil room changes in ToB.

The ToB room changes are strictly affected by your answers to the Solar's questions. You can can be chaotic evil and, if you pick the right answers, ascend as a good deity.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

I'm very thankful these enhanced edition games have Story Mode as an option because Melissan seems like one of those fights that is very much a true test of how well you know the game system and AD&D rules and how well you can apply them to such a long encounter. Something i frankly did not have the patience for so close to the end of the game and obtaining rejecting Godhood :v:

What a hell of a ride this series has been! I can see why so many years later there are still so many fans of these old Infinity Engine games and Balders Gate in particular. I told myself i'd probably be off of the RPG kick i've been on lately but i'm already itching to go again as all kinds of different classes with different companion combinations and such.

So who were the guys in robes in the ending scene of SOA suppose to be then? Since there's only the 5 other Bhaalspawn in ToB and it seemed like that whole ending cutscene just didn't factor into the rest of the plot at all.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

The Shame Boy posted:

I'm very thankful these enhanced edition games have Story Mode as an option because Melissan seems like one of those fights that is very much a true test of how well you know the game system and AD&D rules and how well you can apply them to such a long encounter. Something i frankly did not have the patience for so close to the end of the game and obtaining rejecting Godhood :v:

What a hell of a ride this series has been! I can see why so many years later there are still so many fans of these old Infinity Engine games and Balders Gate in particular. I told myself i'd probably be off of the RPG kick i've been on lately but i'm already itching to go again as all kinds of different classes with different companion combinations and such.

So who were the guys in robes in the ending scene of SOA suppose to be then? Since there's only the 5 other Bhaalspawn in ToB and it seemed like that whole ending cutscene just didn't factor into the rest of the plot at all.

There's a whole city full of Bhaalspawn in ToB.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'm pretty sure the robed guys were some early concept version of The Five who got fleshed out when they started actually working on ToB.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

The Shame Boy posted:

By the end of ToB I can never be bothered to fight Melissan fair so I just drop a bunch of thief traps, let her trip them, savescum Wish until I get the option to be fully rested, and repeat until she's dead. I have no qualms with this.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Can find basically no one posting about the Hexxat romance online, so was wondering if there is any SoA content after you sleep together or is that it until ToB? Has anyone ever done this? Should I just break out Near Infinity?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
sleeping with an evil vampire seems like an excellent way to wake up with a headache and your girlfriend suddenly being addicted to bhaalspawn blood. "GIVE ME THE GOD JUICE I NEED MY FIX"

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I've played through the Hexxat romance, but I genuinely do not remember a single thing about it, sorry.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Have to get rid of my boxed PC games. Manuals, CDs and all in the boxes. Sucks!

Also every issue of PC Gamer from 1999 to 2004 or so

Cat Hassler fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jul 2, 2023

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Cat Hassler posted:

Due to I think licensing issues, No One Lives Forever hasn’t been available for sale for years and years: that boxed copy might be worth something if you sell it online.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Mzbundifund posted:

Due to I think licensing issues, No One Lives Forever hasn’t been available for sale for years and years: that boxed copy might be worth something if you sell it online.

Most of those are probably worth something to a collector, but finding them might be hard.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

Cat Hassler posted:

My inner child is bawling his eyes out for you over this. Genuinely gutted for you, mate :(

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

That's loving awful :( I loved those old game boxes, I still have some in storage so I can't get a picture.

Also the old, big-rear end manuals, for BG and BG2, Fallouts... The Arcanum manual has freaking cooking recipes.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I posted on SA-Mart when I wanted to start pruning my big box collection and sold like ~50 games with minimal effort for $25+ each, and that was right before the pandemic, so if you posted a quick thread there and said "someone buy all of this for like $500" I bet you would get an offer immediately

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Cat Hassler posted:

May I ask what tragedy is forcing you to part with them?

If it's any consolation, at least these days you can still own digital copies of most of those games and many of their manuals and inserts, through various means.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

JustJeff88 posted:

May I ask what tragedy is forcing you to part with them?

Selling my house :lol: :smith:

Dr. Quarex posted:

I posted on SA-Mart when I wanted to start pruning my big box collection and sold like ~50 games with minimal effort for $25+ each, and that was right before the pandemic, so if you posted a quick thread there and said "someone buy all of this for like $500" I bet you would get an offer immediately

I never thought about SA Mart - good idea. Would rather deal with goons than eBay/Craigslist lol

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Thought of the cursed idea of doing a full party in BG2 with only EE NPCs and how much I would hate that. If you include Wilson you can actually fill the entire party. No one to fill the cleric role other than maybe Charname sadly.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I thought Baldur's Gate I would be fine without a cleric in my currently playthrough, but I started getting annoyed about having to rely purely on potions and resting eventually and dual-classed Xzar into a cleric which actually ended up making him a much more interesting character to me, and now I will probably always use him going forward after Montaron has his own fighting-a-bear-while-naked accident. Especially since I will not need the Helm of Opposite Alignment since I plan to never use Dorn again after this playthrough.

Someone should really mod M'Khiin into Baldur's Gate 2 since, as discussed, she rules and would at least be a Cleric-type

Though it is always interesting trying to put the proper spin on why a lawful good character says the things he does. Just read it as deep sarcasm most of the time and it almost works. I guess except for when he praises his literal demon master

I did finally beat Dragonspear and make it to 2 though, and I think the worst thing about it overall is that you end up with at least double the amount of cool equipment that you are mad you will basically never see again

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

A bunch of the SoD equipment can be imported into BG2 and you will find it again throughout the game. It needs to be in the PCs main inventory and not in a bag or it won't get imported however.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I think having it equipped to a party member also works; at least I found some shaman gear that I'd definitely equipped to M'khiin.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Cat Hassler posted:

Selling my house :lol: :smith:

I never thought about SA Mart - good idea. Would rather deal with goons than eBay/Craigslist lol

Can't speak to the other games, but if the manuals, maps, discs etc are all there and in good condition you could easily get $100+ USD for the Baldur's Gate games.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I think having it equipped to a party member also works; at least I found some shaman gear that I'd definitely equipped to M'khiin.

The shaman gear is actually there whether you import a save or not.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Casting Stoneskin and getting a wild surge: area effect is one of the best wild surges I've ever seen.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Flowing Thot posted:

Casting Stoneskin and getting a wild surge: area effect is one of the best wild surges I've ever seen.

I really really wish I'd managed to screenshot the Firewine Dungeon ogre mage suiciding by falling cow when I had a mod installed that made the entire area a wild magic zone.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

ok so BG3 has spurred me to finally do a bg1-bg2 full playthrough with the EE editions. im going to walkthrough for bg1 because yeah, but then doing bg2 blind.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

queeb posted:

ok so BG3 has spurred me to finally do a bg1-bg2 full playthrough with the EE editions. im going to walkthrough for bg1 because yeah, but then doing bg2 blind.

you will need to look up a walkthrough if you want to be completionist in bg2, fyi.

for bg1 getting a VISUAL walkthrough works best, try gamebanshee.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Arivia posted:

you will need to look up a walkthrough if you want to be completionist in bg2, fyi.

for bg1 getting a VISUAL walkthrough works best, try gamebanshee.

http://www.forgottenwars.com/bg1/ar2600.htm

I found this one which seems good

edit: gnome fighter/illusionist go

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

queeb posted:

http://www.forgottenwars.com/bg1/ar2600.htm

I found this one which seems good

edit: gnome fighter/illusionist go

dudleyville is good, but it doesn't include any EE stuff. gamebanshee does.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

i'll never stop being entertained by my characters voice barks in bg2. the voice i picked sounds so depressed compared to his voice in bg1

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Considering what Irenicus ends up doing to you i can see why all the happy go lucky voices are basically all gone from the character creator in 2.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

I, too, have been spurred by bg3 to do another run. I picked up my last ironman failure run and this time Bonk.V2 smashed the demon knight and got sarevok on his first try. Skipped aec'letec because exp cap reasons. On to SoD!

Genthil
Sep 24, 2007

Chalk me up as another person who finally decided to dig BG1EE out of their backlog for the first time now that 3 is coming out soon. Took a while to get used to the RTwP mechanics - the only other games I played with similar mechanics were Mass Effect 1 and Dragon Age: Origins, both over a decade ago - but it's alright once I did. I'm only on Chapter 5 so far but I don't understand the hate I've seen elsewhere on the internet for the content that Beamdog added. I've done the companion quests and like I don't think they're amazing but it's not the travesty that a bunch of grognards keep alluding to.

Oh and since summer sales are happening I bought SoD and I did not realize that installing it would change the game's UI. I kinda prefer the old one, is there a way to change it back?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I won't pretend to speak for all grognards, but I think a lot of the dislike for the Beamdog new people comes from BG2 rather than 1. Rasaad's quest in 2 is an awful slog, but at least you can get a bear out of it?, Neera's quest is pretty silly if short but she conflicts with Edwin who is a very over-powered wizard. Neera's class might make her comparable in the long run, I've never taken her very far to test this out.

In BG1 it's always worth it to talk to Dorn even if one doesn't want to recruit him, since no matter what he triggers an encounter around Nashkel where the party can get some pretty sweet loot. I have no personal experience with his BG2 content, though.

There used to be mods to alter the GUI of BG1 and 2, but on a quick googling I couldn't find any anymore :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Genthil posted:

Oh and since summer sales are happening I bought SoD and I did not realize that installing it would change the game's UI. I kinda prefer the old one, is there a way to change it back?

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/83508/mod-classic-bg-ui-v1-6