Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The west coast games have already hit all the beats that a Fallout Texas would, though. Cowboys, ranches, guns everywhere, outlaws, Kris Kristofferson...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
What about North Carolina? It would probably get hit pretty hard with multiple military bases (Bragg, Seymour-Johnson, Lejune). Then you could do beaches and mountains.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

Is there anything important that I have to talk to Mama Murphy about? She won't sit in her goddamn chair and I can't assign her to it.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Isn't junk supposed to be universally accessible when you deposit them at a workshop? I've got junk at the Red Rocket workshop that only seems to be accessible there.

Also, isn't junk supposed to be automatically broken down if you deposit it in a workshop? It's not for me. This is... a little confusing. :confused:

Plus, are you supposed to be wearing multiple pieces of armor (ie right shoulder, left shoulder, etc?) I've just got a Drifter's Outfit on and I don't think I have the Damage Resistance I should in order to not get creamed when facing a group of enemies on Survival difficulty.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
FO4 Nexus has no Millennia mods in the Weapons section.

Not buying this trash game lol

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
The West Coast of Fallout is done. Christ, it already had its Scouring Of The Shire with New Vegas, what else could you do there?

Mortimer posted:

Even Chicago seems like a more interesting setting

I'd love a Chicago Fallout where the two local factions are degenerated Cubs and Sox fans.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Isn't junk supposed to be universally accessible when you deposit them at a workshop? I've got junk at the Red Rocket workshop that only seems to be accessible there.

Also, isn't junk supposed to be automatically broken down if you deposit it in a workshop? It's not for me. This is... a little confusing. :confused:

Plus, are you supposed to be wearing multiple pieces of armor (ie right shoulder, left shoulder, etc?) I've just got a Drifter's Outfit on and I don't think I have the Damage Resistance I should in order to not get creamed when facing a group of enemies on Survival difficulty.

It's only universally accessible from any crafting station at that settlement. Junk is only broken down as you need it. There are different pieces of armor for your head, left and right arms, left and right legs, and a base layer. Some of the armor you pick up is a whole body deal and that is indicated by the flashing armor pieces in the pip-boy.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

- if you take the CHA 6 perk Local Leader and put all your settlements on a trade network, yes. Not by default.

- again, not instantly. It will scrap things as needed when you build though.

- yes, an outfit with armor pieces over it is intended.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

ShadowMar posted:

i have 9 perception and rarely ever hit 95% chance shots

Your gun matters a lot.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I made it to Diamond City and found a hobo who became my manservant because I gave him a nuka-cola. He now sees to my gas station base and I even gave him Kellog's clothes to wear. Seemed like a nice little final gently caress you to Kellog. Also, the guys name is Sheffield which is a perfect name for a butler type guy.

I'm warming up to the game now that I've gotten kinda obsessed with building up settlements. If you're into that kinda thing this game will definitely have legs.

Animax
Nov 7, 2015

IronDoge posted:

It's only universally accessible from any crafting station at that settlement. Junk is only broken down as you need it. There are different pieces of armor for your head, left and right arms, left and right legs, and a base layer. Some of the armor you pick up is a whole body deal and that is indicated by the flashing armor pieces in the pip-boy.

The workshops act as a storage unit, it automatically breaks down items into components. Leftover components are stored there, as i understand it you can also store any items in workshops.

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!
So far 20 hours in my only real gripe is the same with every fallout, the wimpy weapon volume. The combat and sounds themselves are pretty great, but its sort of annoying that someone can be less than 100 feet away from you firing a rifle and all you hear is the bullet whiz.

I'm still waiting for a game to make gunshots loud and terrifying... I want my gunfights to sound like the bank robbery scene from Heat.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Funky Valentine posted:

The west coast games have already hit all the beats that a Fallout Texas would, though. Cowboys, ranches, guns everywhere, outlaws, Kris Kristofferson...

Always makes me chuckle when people describe Texas as "Cowboys, ranches, etc."

Dallas, Houston and Austin are indistinguishable from any other major US city pretty much. Heck same with Galveston and Corpus too.
Only towns like Waco or smaller give you any indication they're in Texas.

Hill country is actually really pretty, trees, lakes, rivers, etc.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

MisterBibs posted:

I'd love a Chicago Fallout where the two local factions are degenerated Cubs and Sox fans.

But you repeat yourself.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
As much as I love the gun system and all the gun parts, the armor system is pretty lame.

I've got a few "outfits" that take up my whole body which I really like the look of, but you can't customize them or improve them and they have bad defense.

Then I have some patchy leather straps or metal cages that make me look like a roving madman and leave me mostly naked, but those apparently give me better armor and radiation resistance than the full jack and gas-mask set I was rocking before? Yeah that makes a ton of sense.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
Is there a console command or npc that will let you redesign/remodel your character? There appears to be a weird blotch at the top of my character's head that's noticeable on certain hairstyles and I need to fix that. I'm about 50 hours in so restarting is not an option.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

MohShuvuu posted:

Is there a console command or npc that will let you redesign/remodel your character? There appears to be a weird blotch at the top of my character's head that's noticeable on certain hairstyles and I need to fix that. I'm about 50 hours in so restarting is not an option.

Plastic Surgeon in Diamond City.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

As much as I love the gun system and all the gun parts, the armor system is pretty lame.

I've got a few "outfits" that take up my whole body which I really like the look of, but you can't customize them or improve them and they have bad defense.

Then I have some patchy leather straps or metal cages that make me look like a roving madman and leave me mostly naked, but those apparently give me better armor and radiation resistance than the full jack and gas-mask set I was rocking before? Yeah that makes a ton of sense.

You can put on clothing beneath those layers as long as it is thin enough. You're effectively trading a complete set of armor for layered customizable sets of armor. The former is assured power, the latter is more powerful once you have some legendary gear to attach to it.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

Waiting for the mod that lets me put armor over outfits.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

I'd like to see a Fallout: Orlando where Walt Disney (or the Fallout equivalent) had actually gotten to build Progress City. Also you could go scavenge Cape Canaveral for space program junk. And radgators.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

projecthalaxy posted:

- if you take the CHA 6 perk Local Leader and put all your settlements on a trade network, yes. Not by default.

- again, not instantly. It will scrap things as needed when you build though.

- yes, an outfit with armor pieces over it is intended.

When I try to put on armor pieces over my Drifter's Outfit, it just removed the outfit and puts the one piece on, leaving in me in underwear but a shoulder guard on for example.

[e]: oh I think I get it now. Your base armor should only affect the "undershirt" part of the Pip Man while extra armor pieces highlight armor pieces on top of the Pip Man. The Drifter Outfit covers everything so that's why it's getting taken off. :doh: So where am I supposed to find decent armor both on the underwear and outer armor?

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Nov 12, 2015

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
They way undertuned the full armor sets though, and you can't upgrade them.

Like you can upgrade a Raider Chestpiece by itself to have more defenses than the Spike Armor even though one is gently caress-off rare and the other is stupid common. Especially when the raider chestpiece can come randomly upgraded. Once you get to Metal armor its a hilariously huge discrepancy.

Like, hmm, I could wear this drifter outfit for +5/+7 normal/energy defense or I could slap on all my metal poo poo for +50/+35 plus some SPECIAL stats and/or 2 more normal DR.

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

When I try to put on armor pieces over my Drifter's Outfit, it just removed the outfit and puts the one piece on, leaving in me in underwear but a shoulder guard on for example.

Drifter armor is a full suit. Try stuff like your Vault suit, Flannel+Jeans, Military fatigues etc. That'll be worn under the strapped on armor.

It all shows up on the paper doll in the inventory. The flashing shows what slots it'll take up.

apoptosis
Apr 13, 2003
Drain Bamaged

Zaphod42 posted:

Always makes me chuckle when people describe Texas as "Cowboys, ranches, etc."

Dallas, Houston and Austin are indistinguishable from any other major US city pretty much. Heck same with Galveston and Corpus too.
Only towns like Waco or smaller give you any indication they're in Texas.

Hill country is actually really pretty, trees, lakes, rivers, etc.

Uh, no. I am from the West Coast and I've lived all over the world, I currently reside in Austin, TX. People's demeanors, acceptable social customs and general southern friendliness are like no where else I've lived outside of rural Asia. Dallas and Houston are quite a bit less friendly, but more friendly than most city folks. Just because people aren't wearing cowboy hats and talking with southern-drawls doesn't mean that Texas isn't a hell of a lot different than the rest of the country. Plus, loving breakfast tacos.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

You can put on clothing beneath those layers as long as it is thin enough. You're effectively trading a complete set of armor for layered customizable sets of armor. The former is assured power, the latter is more powerful once you have some legendary gear to attach to it.

I know, I have a camo undershirt and I have some legendary armor pieces with bonuses.

But even then, this guy wearing a camo t-shirt with a rickity metal cage on top or some leather straps appears to be much much worse suited to the wasteland than when I'm just wearing a duster coat and a nice sealed helmet.

My problem is that I don't have enough options for the piecemeal armor right now, they all look hilariously ramshackle. Meanwhile there's several sets of clothing that look just fine and complete, but they offer basically zero protection.

The full-suit armor needs a major buff to be competitive.

Alternatively just give me a loving transmog system so I can look how I want while still having decent stats. You'd think an armor crafting system would let you do that, but this is very limited.

Zore posted:

They way undertuned the full armor sets though, and you can't upgrade them.

Like you can upgrade a Raider Chestpiece by itself to have more defenses than the Spike Armor even though one is gently caress-off rare and the other is stupid common. Especially when the raider chestpiece can come randomly upgraded. Once you get to Metal armor its a hilariously huge discrepancy.

Like, hmm, I could wear this drifter outfit for +5/+7 normal/energy defense or I could slap on all my metal poo poo for +50/+35 plus some SPECIAL stats and/or 2 more normal DR.

Exactly. Full armor is massively massively undertuned.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Not all outfits can have armour over them, some armour can't go over outfits. You have to just experiment, the rules like many things in the game are seemingly arbitary.

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

There Diomedes aimed and stabbed, he gouged him down
his glistening flesh and wrenched the spear back out
and the brazen god of war let loose a shriek, roaring,
thundering loud as nine, ten thousand combat soldiers
shriek with Ares' fury when massive armies clash.

Mr Beens posted:

Not all outfits can have armour over them, some armour can't go over outfits. You have to just experiment, the rules like many things in the game are seemingly arbitary.

There really should be some kind of indicator on the pipboy screen to distinguish moddable outfits from everything else. I hate having to reequip all 5 pieces of armor.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

I know, I have a camo undershirt and I have some legendary armor pieces with bonuses.

But even then, this guy wearing a camo t-shirt with a rickity metal cage on top or some leather straps appears to be much much worse suited to the wasteland than when I'm just wearing a duster coat and a nice sealed helmet.

My problem is that I don't have enough options for the piecemeal armor right now, they all look hilariously ramshackle. Meanwhile there's several sets of clothing that look just fine and complete, but they offer basically zero protection.

The full-suit armor needs a major buff to be competitive.

Alternatively just give me a loving transmog system so I can look how I want while still having decent stats. You'd think an armor crafting system would let you do that, but this is very limited.

Exactly. Full armor is massively massively undertuned.

I feel the same way, i dont play 3rd person so i dont know why i care but i hate running around looking a junkyard on two legs.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

apoptosis posted:

Uh, no. I am from the West Coast and I've lived all over the world, I currently reside in Austin, TX. People's demeanors, acceptable social customs and general southern friendliness are like no where else I've lived outside of rural Asia. Dallas and Houston are quite a bit less friendly, but more friendly than most city folks. Just because people aren't wearing cowboy hats and talking with southern-drawls doesn't mean that Texas isn't a hell of a lot different than the rest of the country. Plus, loving breakfast tacos.

Eh I've been in plenty of cities that were just as "friendly" as Austin or as "unfriendly" as Dallas. I've met assholes in Austin and cool chill folk in Dallas. It takes all kinds.

And I'm not saying people don't have accents, I mean the people in Boston have accents. But they're pretty minor. The major point was though, you never see cowboys or horses in downtown Austin. People who don't live here sometimes get a weird impression that we all ride horses to work and wear 10-gallon hats on the regular.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
I think I just accidentally blasted through the "main" quest line. I sided with The Instution and loving murdered everyone. It was pretty cool, but I thought it ended kind of abruptly. At least I'm assuming that was the end. I got a cinematic, a fuckload of experience, and then it just kind of dumped me back into the game.

Don't know if I want to continue on or start a new character. I did a pistol toting gangster, focused on agility and charisma. I only hit level 28 and definitely didn't do everything I wanted, but I also kind of want to try a high perception/science nerd with rifles.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Xeremides posted:

There really should be some kind of indicator on the pipboy screen to distinguish moddable outfits from everything else. I hate having to reequip all 5 pieces of armor.

There is.

Look at the paper doll of your character. If the slot is blinking it means the armor you're trying to equip takes that slot.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Icedude posted:

I'd like to see a Fallout: Orlando where Walt Disney (or the Fallout equivalent) had actually gotten to build Progress City. Also you could go scavenge Cape Canaveral for space program junk. And radgators.

It just so happens I help run something like that! You know, if you're actually in the area.

http://www.mindgame-productions.com/

quote:

The Wasteland 7 is the next installment of MGP’s successful Wasteland event series. The Wasteland is an alternate reality event based on the world of the FallOut computer games. We continue to explore the Florida Wasteland, two hundred years after a devastating nuclear war.

The FallOut world is not quite our own. It is an alternate reality that diverged from ours at some point after the second World War. The base concept for the setting is the World of Tomorrow as imagined in the Golden Age of Science Fiction. This means that before the Great War, the FallOut world was more or less what the people of the 1940s and 1950s thought things would be like in 2077—the wonders of Atomic Age technology. The most important event in the FallOut setting was the Great War which happened on October 23, 2077. Our game continues in the central Florida Wasteland of 2285.

Players take the roles of savage raiders, cannibals, members of military orders and simple adventurers and wanderers across a post-apocalyptic wasteland. Visit the MGP Forums for event discussion!

Basically it's a low tech airsoft game with actual relics on the field, bottle cap currency, etc. :D

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Does inspirational work on Dogmeat? My googling has only shown that Lone Wanderer works with him.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Holy poo poo, no wonder I've been getting creamed. I've been rocking the Drifter's Outfit until level 9 because I saw my outfit getting taken off early in the game trying to put on armor pieces and thought it'd be better to have a full outfit than put on armor pieces piece-meal. I thought it was a zero-sum either-or case of full armor versus armor pieces. :downs:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

afkmacro posted:

I feel the same way, i dont play 3rd person so i dont know why i care but i hate running around looking a junkyard on two legs.

Yeah I play almost exclusively in 1st so I try to ignore it and right now I'm wearing camo with the metal rollcage (ugh) but even then, when it pops up in cutscenes it bothers the poo poo out of me.

My guy looks really cool in a duster with a sealed helmet, very appropriate to a nuclear fallout wasteland, looks like a straight STALKER. But he's got like 0 armor like that.

But you strip off all those protective clothing, put on a metal cage you stole from a shopping cart and put on some sunglasses and you're way more armored. Its bonkers.

RACHET
Dec 29, 2014

by exmarx
Where are the best places to do that bottlecap trick before they patch it out? I've done it in Diamond City already and the dinner near Sanctuary.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah, it'd be great if you were able to change the visuals of your outfit independent from their stats. Or even just to hide certain pieces of equipment that don't fit. I wanna be a smooth sneaky ninja showing off some rad tattoos, and that doesn't really work if the only decent headgear I've found yet is a huge bulky helmet.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Zore posted:

There is.

Look at the paper doll of your character. If the slot is blinking it means the armor you're trying to equip takes that slot.

He's asking if the armor is MODABLE or not, not if it takes up all the places or not. Huge difference dude.

I don't think any of the full-suit armor is modable period.

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer
After getting about 30 hours in, i'm kinda bored with my do-gooder character and want to play a new mans that's all about intimidation, extortion and shooting rifles. Also want to be able to pick locks/terminals and craft guns decently. Is this possible? Whenever i look at the perks chart i get overwhelmed because i'm an idiot.

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
I got the Picket Fences issue 5, but I didnt seem to get the perk or unlock any new options. Adding the perk through the console also seems to do nothing :(

Does anyone know how to fix this or am I forever locked out of building lawn ornaments?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
This game must be good because I get owned constantly and listen to the same songs over and over again but yet I play

• Locked thread