Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alnilam

Dark Off posted:

Hello saw the AD and felt compelled to post in here

hello smart friend, what's up, how are you, what kind of things do you like to do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam

Twenty Four posted:

literally can barely do anything without contacts, glasses are too heavy to wear for very long without getting a headache and are basically just used for "get to the bathroom to put contacts in"

Yeah "normies" don't really understand this, glasses are a pretty unpleasant option for those of us with crazy bad vision. They're heavy and more importantly the lensing makes your peripheral vision all distorted so it's even kinda disorienting. You can get used to it but even then it's kinda annoying, makes you feel kinda funny and makes you have to turn your head more to look at stuff
Hooray for contacts!

Fuck My Ass

alnilam posted:

Yeah "normies" don't really understand this, glasses are a pretty unpleasant option for those of us with crazy bad vision. They're heavy and more importantly the lensing makes your peripheral vision all distorted so it's even kinda disorienting. You can get used to it but even then it's kinda annoying, makes you feel kinda funny and makes you have to turn your head more to look at stuff
Hooray for contacts!

I am what you would consider a normie

-20/20 vision
-full time job
-girlfriend
-cocaine on the weekends
-average sized pecker

about as normal as they come y'all

Thank you, very nice I like. For the insanely win sig.

Matoi Ryuko

gently caress My rear end posted:

I am what you would consider a normie

-20/20 vision
-full time job
-girlfriend
-cocaine on the weekends
-average sized pecker

about as normal as they come y'all

normie problems? try anime

Dark Off

alnilam posted:

hello smart friend, what's up, how are you, what kind of things do you like to do?

well nothing interesting really, i just like being lazy and chill on the internet.
i spend my spare time 3d modelling horrible creations that would shock everyone who ever saw one.
But overall its very fun and chill thing to do.

feel free to post a picture and i shall convert it into 3 dimensional thingie.

I Was The Fury

Always stop to smell the flowers, just in case they're weeds

Dark Off posted:

well nothing interesting really, i just like being lazy and chill on the internet.
i spend my spare time 3d modelling horrible creations that would shock everyone who ever saw one.
But overall its very fun and chill thing to do.

feel free to post a picture and i shall convert it into 3 dimensional thingie.

Fuck My Ass

Matoi Ryuko posted:

normie problems? try anime

Thank you, very nice I like. For the insanely win sig.

byob historian

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

alnilam posted:

Hooray for contacts!

i used to wear glasses

i lost them after a busy evening painting dirt for a seniors project

no, not like, on a canvas or a wall, painting red nc dirt brown for a student film production of a western lol

they fell outta my pocket somewhere and i never found em again so i just used my eyes since then :shrug:

alnilam

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

i used to wear glasses

i lost them after a busy evening painting dirt for a seniors project

no, not like, on a canvas or a wall, painting red nc dirt brown for a student film production of a western lol

they fell outta my pocket somewhere and i never found em again so i just used my eyes since then :shrug:

Good for you, I'd be legally blind and probably dead from a magoo scenario gone wrong, i can't even see if a car is coming to cross the street

City of Glompton

I have bad eyes and astigmatism and heavy glasses but last time I tried contacts the doc couldn't fit any for me :(

in good news, today is my 2 year anniversary at my job that I love!

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

alnilam

hapy anivversayr!!

Twenty Four

Renegret posted:

That was not boring it was very educational. I just got my first pair of glasses about a month and a half ago and I had no idea what they were talking about with this -.75 stuff.

My GF met her BFF through college when, during a fire alarm in the middle of the night, she knocked her glasses off her end table and couldn't find them. She Velmaed into the hallway where she bumped into a random person who helped her find her glasses. I'd say 3 grand is worth it from both a quality of life and a safety standpoint. What if there was a real fire?

I mean if you're not eligible that's one thing, I just think it's totally worth the cost.

Thats a pretty good point. I haven't had that happen, but having sudden contact trouble while driving is pretty scary. And yeah I wasn't eligible years ago but maybe they have figured out how to do it now? The price is still an issue though, especially with some pretty necessary big purchases comming up for me that I also can't really afford.

alnilam posted:

Hooray for contacts!

I can relate to all of this. Even with titanium frames, lightweight super ground lenses, and having the lens edges laser cut down or something, glasses are still super uncomfortable and things like "looking left or right with your eyes more then a little bit" isn't really in the cards. I'm pretty used to the peripheral distortion though since my eyes have been garbage pretty much my whole life, even though it was untreated until I got to school. I was one of those "can't read the blackboard from the front row, even though I know how to read" stories.

If it wasn't for modern optics though, I don't think I would have been able to hold any of the jobs I have ever had, so yeah, hooray for contacts!

Twenty Four

alnilam posted:

Good for you, I'd be legally blind and probably dead from a magoo scenario gone wrong, i can't even see if a car is coming to cross the street

Yeah your prescription is pretty close to mine. "Just using your eyes" isn't a thing we can do. Like I can't really walk around safely unless I am in a familiar place like in my house where I know where things are, and even then I can run in to things. "Who left that chair pulled out dammit?"

The best way to describe it I think is that I pretty much just see a blur of colors, and can sometimes make things out when I already know what it is. "Thats the television because thats where the television always is." "What is on?" "Uh, sounds like baseball?"

byob historian

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

alnilam posted:

yeah i can pass the test at the dmv knock on wood!
i aint had insurance or any noticeable problems so i aint been to the eye doctor since the twentieth century lol

Renegret

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I can pass the test without glasses too but being able to see the world clearly is just so wonderful.

The first time I went to see a movie with glasses on was incredible. Before glasses I'd have trouble focusing on the screen and I'd have trouble following what was happening if there was a lot of movement.

byob historian

yeah if anything looked different to me other than my face when i wear glasses id prob have got another rx pair instead of these sweet polarized shades :dealwithit:

Dark Off

here you go took me 5 minutes to make

Renegret

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Dark Off posted:

lol

nice

Arrhythmia

Dark Off posted:

could you... could you make it walk?

I Was The Fury

Dark Off posted:

I love it

City of Glompton

I love it and also I am terrified

alnilam

City of Glompton posted:

I love it and also I am terrified

deep dish peat moss

alnilam posted:

I'm too legally blind to drive too and it's fine most of the time but sometimes it sucks. I've always wanted to move out of the states because of it but I don't know where else I would go

Randaconda

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i have 20/20 in one eye, and 20/80 in the other.

i have to wear glasses to drive

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

alnilam

umm deep dish peat moss if you're too sight impaired to drive a car i don't think "move to a place where they'll let me drive" is the right solution :/

Sorry about your uncorrectable vision problems :(

I Was The Fury

alnilam posted:

umm deep dish peat moss if you're too sight impaired to drive a car i don't think "move to a place where they'll let me drive" is the right solution :/

Sorry about your uncorrectable vision problems :(

I think they meant "move to a place with reasonable public transit" or "move to a place densely packed enough that a bike is reasonable"

eonwe

those are cute dogges

alnilam

I Was The Fury posted:

I think they meant "move to a place with reasonable public transit" or "move to a place densely packed enough that a bike is reasonable"

Possibly but there are places in the states like that, though not as many as there should be idk

I mean you're preaching to the choir here but i have lived happily car free in the grand metropolis of pittsburgh for 12 years

Munchables

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

I have the best eyes, 20/15, and I am sad that my yobber friends cannot see how good my eyes are :(

alnilam

Munchables posted:

I have the best eyes, 20/15, and I am sad that my yobber friends cannot see how good my eyes are :(

huh? is... is that you hamjobs? sorry i can't see very well you'll have to come closer

byob historian

Munchables posted:

mine look better than they see :wink:

its nice having hazel eyes cuz they change to match whatever im wearing

Instruction Manuel

Yes, it is what it looks like!

alnilam posted:

Hooray for contacts!

I wear glasses and you can do the dramatic :crossarms: at somebody whenever you need to which comes up more often than you think in my line of work (bug wrangler)!

How's it going BYOB, it's been a while.

Twenty Four

Bad Eye Chat - doing things by feel a bunch and leaving things in specific places so you can function.

Like I am sure lots of people do this stuff but it is probably because of habit not necessity.

- Put the remote in the "remote spot" and can turn the TV off or change the volume after just waking up. Using the channel guide to pick a different channel? No chance!

- Get drunk or whatever, go to bed, wake up, and reach for where you normally place your glasses that aren't there, then you panic and just stumble into the bathroom to put your contacts in via muscle memory so you can find your glasses, or have to ask for help finding glasses.

- The shampoo goes on the left and the conditioner goes on the right. *Goes to take a shower and first thing dumps a bunch of conditioner on head and doesn't realize it until it obviously doesn't feel like shampoo in your hair* *sighs, someone moved my shampoo and conditioner to different spots again*

The last couple doesn't happen a bunch but it does make me appreciate the shampoo and conditioner bottles that are different colors, or where one is upside down from the other.

I'm not even that old, just unlucky and my body is conspiring against me!

alnilam

Twenty Four posted:

Bad Eye Chat - doing things by feel a bunch and leaving things in specific places so you can function.

Like I am sure lots of people do this stuff but it is probably because of habit not necessity.

- Put the remote in the "remote spot" and can turn the TV off or change the volume after just waking up. Using the channel guide to pick a different channel? No chance!

- Get drunk or whatever, go to bed, wake up, and reach for where you normally place your glasses that aren't there, then you panic and just stumble into the bathroom to put your contacts in via muscle memory so you can find your glasses, or have to ask for help finding glasses.

- The shampoo goes on the left and the conditioner goes on the right. *Goes to take a shower and first thing dumps a bunch of conditioner on head and doesn't realize it until it obviously doesn't feel like shampoo in your hair* *sighs, someone moved my shampoo and conditioner to different spots again*

The last couple doesn't happen a bunch but it does make me appreciate the shampoo and conditioner bottles that are different colors, or where one is upside down from the other.

I'm not even that old, just unlucky and my body is conspiring against me!

getting some epic prank ideas here :twisted:

byob historian

Twenty Four posted:

just have one of those days where you condition but dont shamppo

Twenty Four

alnilam posted:

getting some epic prank ideas here :twisted:

I mean, I like you, but maybe I am better off that we don't live together. lol

Twenty Four

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

just have one of those days where you condition but dont shamppo

People do this?

Edit - I mean I used to work with a girl who used some hair oil and didn't really wash her hair and it still looked amazing and smelled nice but I don't think it was a "just use conditioner only" thing. I think that would just make my hair too greasy.

Twenty Four fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Apr 6, 2017

byob historian

Twenty Four posted:

People do this?

i gather that it seems to depend on your hair whether or not its a viable option

gotta grow it out anywazzz

City of Glompton

I have curly hair and it likes "condition only" days a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twenty Four

Yeah the long hair is there and has been almost forever, part of why I am even more confused.

Edit - eye and hair chat, sorry, I will keep this topic going in the shower, where I am going now to wash and condition and deal with contacts.

Twenty Four fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Apr 6, 2017