Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spellman
May 31, 2011

Lemming posted:

I hate to break this to you my friend, but if they had included a charger with the system it would have cost you additional dollar bills, or other corners would have been cut on the system itself to make it cheaper to hit whatever specific price point. Companies don't just eat the cost of things for no reason.

I think the New 3DS might be the only product ever produced that didn't consider its charger absolutely integral, and it's not our fault they painted themselves into the corner with a proprietary design for their charger so early on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Nephzinho posted:

What was the PR spin on it, reducing waste?

Just some crap about people already having the chargers, from what I remember.

Lemming posted:

I hate to break this to you my friend, but if they had included a charger with the system it would have cost you additional dollar bills, or other corners would have been cut on the system itself to make it cheaper to hit whatever specific price point. Companies don't just eat the cost of things for no reason.

It wouldn't have cost us a drat thing and you know it. Nintendo could have very easily eaten a few bucks per unit. For a company their size it's a drop in the bucket and hardly worth the PR hit. Literally no other company has pulled this poo poo from what I know, so stop trying to defend it, it's pathetic.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It's nice that they are switching to a USB standard so it won't be a problem anymore.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Spellman posted:

I think the New 3DS might be the only product ever produced that didn't consider its charger absolutely integral, and it's not our fault they painted themselves into the corner with a proprietary design for their charger so early on

greatn posted:

It's nice that they are switching to a USB standard so it won't be a problem anymore.

Yep. Proprietary design never helped, I'm glad the Switch is using USB-C. I hoped for that prior to the announcement, actually, but I considered it a long shot.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

BreakAtmo posted:

It wouldn't have cost us a drat thing and you know it. Nintendo could have very easily eaten a few bucks per unit. For a company their size it's a drop in the bucket and hardly worth the PR hit. Literally no other company has pulled this poo poo from what I know, so stop trying to defend it, it's pathetic.

I'm not trying to defend it, I'm saying it probably made business sense for them to do it. If your core issue is "Nintendo is trying to make money" then you should join me in destroying capitalism, but obviously Nintendo figured they'd make more money overall from not including it than from including it. Either way they're trying to extract as many dollar bills as they can from you.

If was really an irrelevant drop in the bucket they most likely wouldn't have done it. They're a Japanese company and they sell more 3DS's in Japan than any other country and they have way more chargers than us. There's a good chance that they viewed it as a customer friendly thing, since they weren't required to buy something they already owned. There are also overhead costs that go along with having more and more SKU's and obviously on the whole they thought it was better for their business not to include it.

I agree that it's worse for customers than if they just included an extra thing for no money. It would be even better for customers if they all worked for only enough money for the most basic food and shelter and sold everything at cost.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

greatn posted:

Isn't usb c such a finicky thing that unless you use the specific one your device will probably blow up?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yeah but if you stick to trusted name brands you're fine. It's cheap poo poo that gets you.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Calaveron posted:

Isn't usb c such a finicky thing that unless you use the specific one your device will probably blow up?

Allegedly it's more that cheap USB-C cables can cause your laptop port to have problems when you use said laptop to charge another device: http://www.theverge.com/2016/2/4/10916264/usb-c-russian-roulette-power-cords

If you're taking about the Note7, leaks of Samsung's research seem to point to the issue being the battery not having room to breathe. USB-C likely wasn't related.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

You may have to do a bit of homework to make sure the cable you're buying isn't crap, but it's not too hard to look up.

I'm planning to plug a (reputable) cable into the USB3.0 port on the dock, so I can "tether" controllers to it for charging. Should be cheaper than buying a second charger just for controllers, and handier than taking the dock's charger out to plug into other things.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Spellman posted:

new 3ds could have had a standard plug though if they weren't gonna give you one.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

BreakAtmo posted:

Yep. Proprietary design never helped, I'm glad the Switch is using USB-C. I hoped for that prior to the announcement, actually, but I considered it a long shot.

Real hurthling! posted:

new 3ds could have had a standard plug though if they weren't gonna give you one.

wrt the proprietary design, when you think about when chargers like these came out, nobody cared that they were proprietary and everyone was just happy they didn't have to buy batteries for their handhelds anymore. We got spoiled for a little bit with an absolutely awesome battery-life on the DS lite, and then the inertia of proprietary chargers just carried on in Nintendo's future designs. It's nasty-gross that their presumably champion design for the 3DS didn't include a charger, but it's very hopeful that the USB-C takes off for them.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
Speaking of chargers and batteries, what are people expecting the battery life of the joycons to be in actual use scenarios? Because 525 mAh batteries + 20 hours is clearly not with the ir sensor, gyro, and high definition rumble pixels all being used

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
They don't generally lie about battery life, so 20 hours sounds fine to me.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
It's not lying since if a game has no use for the gyro, ir sensor, or rumble, hitting 20 hours satisfies their claim

Unless you're saying the controller is actually going to hit 30 or 40 hours with all those disabled?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

all th e japanese games are up for preorder on amiami

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

inferis posted:

I think the best you can hope for is shinobin in smash 5

Linda or bust

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

koolkal posted:

It's not lying since if a game has no use for the gyro, ir sensor, or rumble, hitting 20 hours satisfies their claim

Unless you're saying the controller is actually going to hit 30 or 40 hours with all those disabled?

Most power ratings are with "typical" use, which Nintendo has historically been pretty good about rating. Should hit that target with all active and used intermittently.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

greatn posted:

They don't generally lie about battery life, so 20 hours sounds fine to me.

If they were going to lie about battery life they would have done it on 2.5 from the touch screen. That's way more of a worry than the joycons.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
If Zelda is 3 as they've claimed I wonder what the hell intensive game is 2.5. and I wonder if a less intensive game like Bomberman is closer to four or five, while something like an NES virtual console game would probably go past six.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Rumor is that the battery will only last for 27 minutes playing Titanfall 3

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

koolkal posted:

Speaking of chargers and batteries, what are people expecting the battery life of the joycons to be in actual use scenarios? Because 525 mAh batteries + 20 hours is clearly not with the ir sensor, gyro, and high definition rumble pixels all being used

I think the thing is that even if Nintendo is lying to a massive degree and the true battery life is only half that, 10 hours is still fine to last a day's use before you fit them to the Switch and put it in the dock or charge it at the wall each night. (Cue anecdotes on 16-hour-a-day Switch marathons)

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

greatn posted:

If Zelda is 3 as they've claimed I wonder what the hell intensive game is 2.5. and I wonder if a less intensive game like Bomberman is closer to four or five, while something like an NES virtual console game would probably go past six.

I wouldn't be surprised if Splatoon processes a lot more stuff than zelda. Every drop of eight players' ink changing every second has to be kept track of, along with everything else.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

greatn posted:

If Bomberman had that much performance headroom it'd be nice if Konami got it running at 60fps instead of 30 :argh:

In the meantime I plan to have six hour Puyo Puyo Tetris rooftop marathons.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Phimosissy posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if Splatoon processes a lot more stuff than zelda. Every drop of eight players' ink changing every second has to be kept track of, along with everything else.

The Splatoon team wears labcoats and are literal scientists who make this poo poo happen

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

greatn posted:

Thank Satan.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

BreakAtmo posted:

I think the thing is that even if Nintendo is lying to a massive degree and the true battery life is only half that, 10 hours is still fine to last a day's use before you fit them to the Switch and put it in the dock or charge it at the wall each night. (Cue anecdotes on 16-hour-a-day Switch marathons)

Yeah, I'm not really worried about the claimed 20 hours of battery life in the controllers. People complain about the lovely battery life of the PS4 controller and i have had to plug in the controller during gameplay only a few times, during my most intense poopsocking sessions of Dragon Quest Builders and FFXV.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Mario Kart 8 Amiibo costumes

Also Switch Dog

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

https://mynintendonews.com/2017/01/21/mario-kart-8-deluxe-features-new-amiibo-outfits-and-5-types-of-battle-mode/

Broke rear end image links!

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Supercar Gautier posted:

I'm planning to plug a (reputable) cable into the USB3.0 port on the dock, so I can "tether" controllers to it for charging. Should be cheaper than buying a second charger just for controllers, and handier than taking the dock's charger out to plug into other things.

What is a reputable cable? Anker, maybe? The only thing I know about USB-C is it goes both ways (giggity) and apparently Google's own cables are poo poo, which leaves me unsure.

Sooner or later, I'm probably going to need an A/C -> USB-C 10-footer for extended couch play while my roommate watches TV (precisely whenever a Monster Hunter game comes out.)

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

enojy posted:

What is a reputable cable? Anker, maybe? The only thing I know about USB-C is it goes both ways (giggity) and apparently Google's own cables are poo poo, which leaves me unsure.

Yeah, this one from Anker seems to be on the level.

EDIT: looks like it's way easier to navigate his reviews on Amazon itself than through Google+, so here's the link for that.

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jan 22, 2017

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Supercar Gautier posted:

Yeah, this one from Anker seems to be on the level.

I love the fact a Google employee has taken the time to do poo poo like this, so you know who the reputable vendors are and which vendors will fry you loving electronics.

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

Cojawfee posted:

The switch app checks your contacts list. If you don't have any friends, you lose.

just like real life

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

How does the actual Switch screen itself charge? Could you potentially use an external battery with it?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Irony Be My Shield posted:

How does the actual Switch screen itself charge? Could you potentially use an external battery with it?

Via usb.

Yes, probably.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Irony Be My Shield posted:

There's a female USB-C port on the bottom, so yeah, external batteries should work fine with that.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Oh, I just noticed that the official Nintendo A/C adapter is a 120V AC -> USB-C solution. If it ends up being at least 6 feet long, I'll probably just opt for that. HOW LONG IS IT NINTENDA GOD DAMNIT RELEASE THE DETAILS STOP BEING VAGUE

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Infinitum posted:

Also Switch Dog

I need more of these

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
An updated roster of upcoming games:

Infinitum