Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

fknlo posted:

I've fit 4 dudes and all of our gear, including 2 snowboards and 2 pairs of skis, into my Golf after the roof rack attachment failed and blew off the car shattering my glass roof denting and scratching the roof on the way off. It wasn't comfortable but we did it. I can fit a lot of poo poo in/on my car. I can't imagine not having a hatchback or wagon as a DD at this point.
Yeah a wagon or hatch version would be preferred. Long as it has enough room for a car seat and gear I'm not going to complain much. I have to start considering that poo poo at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

FCKGW posted:

It's cheaper and easier to just utilize your existing screen stuck in your console and implement the controls via software.

I'm not saying it's good or bad, but if you're required to have a screen for your backup camera in the car then you're gonna see automakers putting to use when in drive as well.

Cheaper and easier maybe but definitely worse which is why it should be legislated against.

There are plenty of cars with reversing cameras that don't use it an an excuse to make a hash of the rest of the controls so there really isn't any excuse.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

ilkhan posted:

Yeah a wagon or hatch version would be preferred. Long as it has enough room for a car seat and gear I'm not going to complain much. I have to start considering that poo poo at some point.

So in other words the Chevy Bolt

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

dissss posted:

Cheaper and easier maybe but definitely worse which is why it should be legislated against.

There are plenty of cars with reversing cameras that don't use it an an excuse to make a hash of the rest of the controls so there really isn't any excuse.

I've had some close calls when forced to mess with the screen in my Model S while driving and my informal survey of other owners i know seems to say this is pretty close to universal. Touch screens are really pretty much the worst for a moving car

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Mange Mite posted:

So in other words the Chevy Bolt
I said a wagon or hatch, not a crappy GM wannabe version.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
How do you know it's a wannabe?

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
If the Bolt holds its value as well as the Volt or Leaf did you should be able to pick one up for like <$15,000 after 2 years

I have no idea why someone would buy any of these vehicles instead of leasing them

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

ilkhan posted:

Spoken like someone who's never owned a Tesla. "Wannabe luxury car" is a good description of the interior

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

ilkhan posted:

To be fair the Bolt reviews have been pretty good. The lack of the supercharger network is probably the biggest difference but otherwise the cars are quite comparable.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Bovril Delight posted:

To be fair the Bolt reviews have been pretty good. The lack of the supercharger network is probably the biggest difference but otherwise the cars are quite comparable.

But it's not a tesla :eng101:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Yup, it's a real thing that will be out this year!

As of today, Tesla has over 3 times as many preorders for the Model 3 compared to the total number of cars they've ever built. Gonna be really impressive if they can even remotely pull this off.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Top Hats Monthly posted:

200+ mile range, giant touch screen, same 0-60 times, AC vents

GARBAGE

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

FCKGW posted:

With federally mandated backup cameras, touchscreens that can double as a camera monitor will become more common, not less.

Not until the regulation that prohibits showing the driver an active video display above 10mph goes away.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Bovril Delight posted:

200+ mile range, giant touch screen, same 0-60 times, AC vents

GARBAGE

I feel like you're being sarcastic too but I've just got to drop the :thejoke: just to cover my own hide.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

just lmbo if you think GM could ever compete with a company as innovative as Tesla

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Was rereading up on early poo poo like the EV1 last night. Interesting how 20 years ago the argument seemed to be "We can't get the batteries, crush 'em" (or so they say), today it's "We can't get the batteries, build the battery factories."

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Crushing them was entirely due to internal politics. My university (wwu) was lucky to get to keep one of the few that didn't get crushed, but it came without batteries or drivetrain. I can dig up some pics of anyone is interested.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

iirc the only complete EV1 left is in the Smithsonian museum, because they only accept intact donations.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

fknlo posted:

Yup, it's a real thing that will be out this year!

As of today, Tesla has over 3 times as many preorders for the Model 3 compared to the total number of cars they've ever built. Gonna be really impressive if they can even remotely pull this off.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

More accurately:

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

that 8.25% sales tax

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Kanish posted:

that 8.25% sales tax
At least he isn't paying an 8% sales tax on top of a state income tax. Something something something gently caress CA.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

gently caress the local economy of wherever you shop. Also, gently caress the state roads you drive on. No taxes for anybody! Also, the Tesla 3 looks good like a Studebaker Avanti.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

Sales taxes are actually highly regressive and disproportionately affect low income individuals, so yes gently caress them.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Wheeee posted:

Sales taxes are actually highly regressive and disproportionately affect low income individuals, so yes gently caress them.

Ok I'm sorry I shouldn't have even gone on that tangent. What do you think of my Avanti comment?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

ilkhan posted:

At least he isn't paying an 8% sales tax on top of a state income tax. Something something something gently caress CA.

Yeah but prop 13

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

If the 8% sales tax is really bothering you that much then you can't afford to buy a $35000 car, slide down until 8% of whatever number isn't worth posting about to you then you can buy that car.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
poo poo, where am I gonna find a car for under 12¢?

Aztech
May 30, 2009

fyodor posted:

Also, the Tesla 3 looks good like a Studebaker Avanti.

Why would your car need a grill?

A flow of fresh air inside the car is not required when each and every car comes pre-scented with Elon's unique musk imbued into the interior fabrics.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

BraveUlysses posted:

Crushing them was entirely due to internal politics. My university (wwu) was lucky to get to keep one of the few that didn't get crushed, but it came without batteries or drivetrain. I can dig up some pics of anyone is interested.

Sup fellow Viking. I'd love to see the pics. Where do they keep it? I'm assuming it's with the vehicular design program, but I never learned where that was on campus.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Sinestro posted:

poo poo, where am I gonna find a car for under 12¢?

Look at mr.moneybags over here

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Aztech posted:

A flow of fresh air inside the car is not required when each and every car comes pre-scented with Elon's unique musk imbued into the interior fabrics.

I got nauseous when got a first look of the front in Model 3, but at the same time I admitted to myself that it doesn't beed a grill and it would be silly to put a fake grill just because cars have traditionally required it.

It's just a question of how many times I would need to see a grilless car before stop getting the chills.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

As soon as companies stop designing it with an obvious space for one and go full aero.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Aztech posted:

Do you think this is how cars work? That engine bays are hermetically sealed except for the grill?

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

blugu64 posted:

Look at mr.moneybags over here

It didn't say when I could afford it, just when I wouldn't think it was worth bitching over, and any amount over a cent is worth bitching about. :colbert:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Saukkis posted:

I got nauseous when got a first look of the front in Model 3, but at the same time I admitted to myself that it doesn't beed a grill and it would be silly to put a fake grill just because cars have traditionally required it.

It's just a question of how many times I would need to see a grilless car before stop getting the chills.

grilleless cars actually look fine if theyre well styled

Even the direct competitors at least make some effort:

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Apr 3, 2016

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Mange Mite posted:

Even the direct competitors at least make some effort:

These two have a higher feature density from having the outline of a grill still exist, the Soul especially so because it just fills in the grill.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I still think the Model 3 has the best front end of the cheap EVs. I don't know why you people seem to think there has to be a bunch of garbage all over the front of the car. GM did, and the Bolt looks like it's wearing a ball gag.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

The headlights on the Model 3 are good, but the nose looks like they took a Focus and stretched some plastic over the grille.

The Bolt is a good looking and practically designed car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
I wouldn't mind the front end if there wasn't such a strong crease along the top edge of it. As it is, it makes my brain think of that whole area as a large upper lip.