Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

I know I'm a Two Roads cheerleader and a lot of people aren't big fans of their business model/pricing, but if you're in their distro, check out Lil' Heaven Session IPA. It's my favorite of the style and I've had a lot of them (granted I've never had Carton Boat Beer, because CT doesn't get that one). Comes in 12 packs of cans and is really refreshing and falvorful and avoids being "hop water" like Stone, Victory, etc session IPAs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair
That's definitely their best beer, not that that's saying much IMO. I do like it a lot, though.

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
I had it on tap at the brewery and it was quite farty from mercaptan. The cans might have better QC though.

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...
I find the best session beer to be BCBS and variants when you are surrounded by hundreds of people outside on a cloudless 90+ degree day.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

English style IPA or bitter is pretty perfect for a hot day, and low ABV.

Not that we normally have the weather to make the most of that.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
I've now had 3 different beers with rhubarb in them in the past 2 days.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

dphi posted:

I've now had 3 different beers with rhubarb in them in the past 2 days.

That sounds like a problem I could deal with comfortably.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
I always hear about people having problems with Two Roads, what's wrong with them? I know it was started by rich people and their brewery is cool.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
I was actually hoping that my trip through St. Louis tomorrow would coincide with a Side Project release. Alas, it looks like I'll be about 14 hours too late.

Sigh.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Has anyone been to Tree House Brewing's new location?

I'm going to Massachusetts next week and was kind of bummed to learn they moved from this location in the dead center of the state...

... to a location closer to the Connecticut border.

Granted, I'm saying this not having tried one of their beers, which is the most important thing.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
That's the old location right? I know they were fighting some prick in their neighborhood about being able to operate there, I guess he won?

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Yeah, I probably could've clarified that better — that's the old place. Here's the new one in Monson:

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice

John Romero posted:

I always hear about people having problems with Two Roads, what's wrong with them? I know it was started by rich people and their brewery is cool.

I like the actual brewery itself but their beers I find to be bad to mediocre. At least for myself, with all the money and brewing pedigree and facility, I expected more from them

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Real Name Grover posted:

Yeah, I probably could've clarified that better — that's the old place. Here's the new one in Monson:

I've been 4 times now. They're building a much larger facility, this is pretty much temporary. If you're going on a Saturday Morning, be there no later than 10:15 for their 11am opening. The line will get long. They run a really good system. When you arrive you get a numbered ticket that you fill out with what beer you want. Then you go do whatever until they call your name for your growlers to fill if you brought any. And the beer is phenominal (except that Julius kicked yesterday gg). Fridays are crazy and I'd probably avoid them if not for the crew just hanging out and playing guitar while the bottle fill team does the work.

This new place is still only 65-75 minutes outside of Boston. On the way through from Boston you drive through Brimfield where a tornado hit a couple years ago. It's pretty surreal still clearly seeing the path it took and only missing the Koran Farm where Treehouse is now by a half mile.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Nothing's particularly wrong with Two Roads, they just don't make any notable beers, really. But they contract brew plenty of stuff worth having, bringing the costs down, so they are a net positive for the beer scene IMO.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Two Roads beers can be hit or miss; the ones I like I love, the rest are forgettable. They nickle and dime you hard at their facility and it's usually more expensive to get a pint of Two Roads beer in their tasting room than it is to go to a pub the next town over and that's just ridiculous. They also charge something like $2 for a taster sample. And while I don't care about this part, they insist on slapping a gargantuan Two Roads sticker on any other brewery's growler you bring in for a fill. That has caused a lot of complaints.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
So Greg Koch talked about the crowdfunding in an interview. It's rather brief but now it looks like they're changing the intent of the funding.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch

Wamsutta posted:

Two Roads beers can be hit or miss; the ones I like I love, the rest are forgettable. They nickle and dime you hard at their facility and it's usually more expensive to get a pint of Two Roads beer in their tasting room than it is to go to a pub the next town over and that's just ridiculous. They also charge something like $2 for a taster sample. And while I don't care about this part, they insist on slapping a gargantuan Two Roads sticker on any other brewery's growler you bring in for a fill. That has caused a lot of complaints.

I had a flight when I went that didnt seem unreasonably priced, and my gf was sampling for free. the growler thing was annoying tho

That's awesome, just realized that tree house is like 20 min from my parents' house

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Red willow - Sleepless

I have never heard of these guys before, but this is pretty good. Amber ale, oaky, got some toffee and a good dose of bitterness going on. Might be because this is my first beer in a week, but it's making my day right now.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

Podima posted:

If you get a couple extra I'd be down for a trade for myself and my buddies out here - let me know, and we can set something up! :)

Sure thing! It'll more be a matter of finding time to get back to a bottle shop before they run out (super busy this weekend/next week) but I'll keep ya posted.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
local fb beer group post:

quote:

Attention Delaware beer fans!
Come see me at the Liquor Depot in Dover. The Flying Dog Dead Rise is here! I only have 20 bottles available at $5 each. First come, first served... you better hurry!

hahahaha are you loving kidding me?

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

cryme posted:

lol. There are cases of that stuff in Ocean City.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

cryme posted:

:catstare:

Apparently beer camp boxes are in Arlington/NoVA. I have mixed feelings.

nosleep
Jan 20, 2004

Let the liquor do the thinkin'

wattershed posted:

Sure thing! It'll more be a matter of finding time to get back to a bottle shop before they run out (super busy this weekend/next week) but I'll keep ya posted.

Depending on how many you find I wouldn't mind a bottle or two either if you're up for it. I'm in DC/VA. If not it's no big deal.

ChickenArise posted:

Apparently beer camp boxes are in Arlington/NoVA. I have mixed feelings.

I've been enjoying it so far. I'd say it's worth the money just for the novelty/coolness factor and the beers have been pretty good.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

cryme posted:

Lmao I just came back with a six pack of this in goddamn central Jersey for under $10.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

cryme posted:

Nothing's particularly wrong with Two Roads, they just don't make any notable beers, really. But they contract brew plenty of stuff worth having, bringing the costs down, so they are a net positive for the beer scene IMO.

I use to mostly feel this way before I had their Rye-95 and Rosemary's Baby, which were both absolutely repulsive. I also personally found No Limits to taste like straight up bubble gum. Their "slap sticker on growlers" policy is interesting to me because I sent them an email complaining about it when they first opened, and they sent me this:

quote:

Hi XXX, and thanks for sending us your concerns about growler labels. First and most importantly, we agree that it is a complete nuisance for both Two Roads and our customers to have to do this. It is also NOT a marketing effort. If it were, it would be a pretty lame one given the many more interesting and unique ways to get our beers and our labels in front of customers. The sole reason we put labels on growlers is that we have decided to comply with state laws requiring these stickers

So they HAVE to do it to comply with state laws even though literally no other brewery in the state does this. Also, their website has this infuriating FAQ answer:

quote:

We do, however, we will have to sticker the label with a Two Roads sticker to make sure people know what’s inside!

So I personally lean more on the negative side of the scale when it comes to them these days, but really it's more just that there are so many other, much better beers out there to drink (including in Connecticut).

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

So Real Ale released a gose that is so far off the style that it basically tastes like a margarita, or Bud Light Lime, or Modelo with lime, something to that effect. They should've just named it accordingly, kinda like the Funky Buddha Pina Colada growler Catfish Noodlin' sent my way.

Well I suppose because Texas... it pairs well with tacos :iiam:

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
an all malt beer with real lime and a bit of salt sounds pretty good actually

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

air- posted:

So Real Ale released a gose that is so far off the style that it basically tastes like a margarita, or Bud Light Lime, or Modelo with lime, something to that effect. They should've just named it accordingly, kinda like the Funky Buddha Pina Colada growler Catfish Noodlin' sent my way.

Well I suppose because Texas... it pairs well with tacos :iiam:

Phew. When I found out about this today, I was pissed I didn't know about it a day earlier. My brother-in-law in Houston asked me yesterday if there was any TX beer he could bring on our vacation and I told him no. Then I saw this and thought "gently caress!" but now I see your message and I'm all "YES." It was an emotional roller coaster I tell ya'...

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
Speaking of goses(or however you pluralize that), are they generally supposed to be a bit less sour than say a berlineweisse? I've had a lot of really good versions of the latter, but of the former I've mostly had solid attempts from home-brewers attempting to go into production and they've all generally been kinda weak.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

danbanana posted:

Phew. When I found out about this today, I was pissed I didn't know about it a day earlier. My brother-in-law in Houston asked me yesterday if there was any TX beer he could bring on our vacation and I told him no. Then I saw this and thought "gently caress!" but now I see your message and I'm all "YES." It was an emotional roller coaster I tell ya'...

YOU FOOL! Yellow Rose is the correct answer as far as beer coming from Houston :getin:

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Catfish Noodlin posted:

Speaking of goses(or however you pluralize that), are they generally supposed to be a bit less sour than say a berlineweisse? I've had a lot of really good versions of the latter, but of the former I've mostly had solid attempts from home-brewers attempting to go into production and they've all generally been kinda weak.

Are you talking about 2 Live Brews goses?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Catfish Noodlin posted:

Considering there were decades where literally no one was brewing it, it's one of those styles where it's original characteristics aren't exactly known. That said...

I've always heard it's supposed to be mildly tart, less so than a Berliner, and have the salt characteristics akin to Gatorade. It's not supposed to be puckering or whatever the word is for having a ton of salt.

air- posted:

YOU FOOL! Yellow Rose is the correct answer as far as beer coming from Houston :getin:

I am now enlightened! I'll let him know. It's too late for my enjoyment but I do visit annually...

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Catfish Noodlin posted:

Speaking of goses(or however you pluralize that)

Zwei Gosen für mich und meine Frau, bitte!

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

danbanana posted:

I've always heard it's supposed to be mildly tart, less so than a Berliner, and have the salt characteristics akin to Gatorade. It's not supposed to be puckering or whatever the word is for having a ton of salt.

'bracing salinity'?

iono

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I noticed the other day that several places in town had Pliny back on tap, so swung by the liquor store on a hunch. Was a good call. Got several that were bottled on 7/16!

swickles posted:

2 Live Brews

Wait this is the name of a real brewery? :laffo:

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Docjowles posted:

I noticed the other day that several places in town had Pliny back on tap, so swung by the liquor store on a hunch. Was a good call. Got several that were bottled on 7/16!

Wait this is the name of a real brewery? :laffo:

Yup, they makes some nice Goses too.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Finally getting around to posting about the bottle share over in Redmond, OR last weekend.

air-'s Biere de Miel was quite nice. Not as honey as I hoped, but the rest of the gang liked it precisely for that reason. Great for hot weather.

Apricot Bu and Boysenberry Bu from de Garde were both super spectacular. I now wonder if I shouldn't have become a patron -- they apparently have crazy parties at the hotel in Tillamook every season whenever there's a bottle distribution. On the other hand, work keeps me so busy that I've gotten too lazy to venture away from downtown Bend and/or my fridge for beer these days.

All three of the Jack's Abby beers -- Barrel-aged Framinghammer, Coffee Framinghammer and Vanilla Framinghammer -- were utterly out of this world. I love everything about this brewery and wish I could get more ASAP.

It was my first time trying Porcine Unidragon and I was underwhelmed, but then again maybe I'm getting a little sick of huge, syrupy barrel-aged beers these days.

The Troegenator can, which I think is from BIF #2 and is thus at least 18 months old at this point, was the surprise hit of the show. All of us with OR-beer palates here went crazy over the intense malt flavor. I had forgotten how much I liked it.

By the way, I'm finally getting back into trading again, so if I spoke to you about doing it and the conversation tapered off, drop me another PM. I got a cupboard of Ale Apothecary that I don't know what to do with! (besides drink it)

nah
Mar 16, 2009

atothesquiz posted:

I sort of wish you had the time and desire to catalog all the people in the Hunaphu's Day thread that said they'd never deal with CCB again or reup their El Cat membership, Then have some means to cross reference these people to the people who actually reupped and then call them all out.

Oh we have definitely seen it happen several times. People who have very dramatically said we will never find a way to make it up to them, people who have boycotted us, all who signed up immediately once they had the chance. Beer geeks complain so much because they feel they have to have everything. Like it's a mandate. Raising the price of El Catador Club is akin to raising their healthcare premiums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

If it's any consolation, every "scene" is like that. I used to edit magazines/websites back when one could have a career doing that and I quit mainly because 99.9% of the feedback I got was "you're wrong/a stupid human being oval office" and the 0.1% of constructive feedback wasn't worth it. Now I only interact with business clients who pay me actual money and I have a lot less stress.

I mean look at Greg Koch. Agree or disagree with that funding campaign, he looked like poo poo in that Youtube video after 2 days of Internet people killing him online.

That and, ah, the youth of Florida are not typically known for their tact or intelligence?

SUPER HASSLER fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jul 26, 2014