Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Trying to recall all of the incidents at Icon Park:

- the wheel lost power and stranded riders for a few hours on a hot summer day not long after opening, but no fire.
- a worker that fell from the StarFlyer
- the rider that fell from the FreeFall
- this

is there anything else?

The time they decided to use the wheel for a target-shooting game where you shot at targets around the property during the ride with a laser tag gun a month after Uvalde

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

Maigius posted:

Did Icon Park expand since 2015? I rode the Eye in that summer and the complex only contained the Eye, an aquarium, and a wax museum.

Yeah that was phase one. They added the swing tower, the drop tower (that’s the one that kid fell out of and they’re removing) since then.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The Paris version of the coaster is an Iron Man ride now, but I haven't been over yet so I have no idea how dramatic the retheming is. Apparently they also have Web Slingers there too, which I am moderately curious about. A couple hours on a train is way easier to take than flying to LA for that. I'm pretty sure Marvel retheming is impossible for DHS still though, unless something has drastically changed?

Also it seems like after almost three years of dodging the rona everyone I know is down with something sniffly right now. Wash your hands and wear your masks, park goons.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Luigi Thirty posted:

The time they decided to use the wheel for a target-shooting game where you shot at targets around the property during the ride with a laser tag gun a month after Uvalde

I actually don't get the complaints about this one. How was this any different than a laser tag place or the shooting gallery at the Magic Kingdom?

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I actually don't get the complaints about this one. How was this any different than a laser tag place or the shooting gallery at the Magic Kingdom?

Laser tag is a two way street, and everyone participating has opted in.

Shooting galleries do not involve muzzle sweeping random people as part of gameplay. I know the point isn't to shoot at them, but you're going to pass over them. Also, shooting galleries have been around for a long time and are generally part of the public consciousness, which matters for this sort of thing.

I think the degree to which the wheel's target-shooting game is in poor taste is certainly arguable, but there are meaningful differences between it and these other two games.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Boxman posted:

Shooting galleries do not involve muzzle sweeping random people as part of gameplay. I know the point isn't to shoot at them, but you're going to pass over them. Also, shooting galleries have been around for a long time and are generally part of the public consciousness, which matters for this sort of thing.

I think the degree to which the wheel's target-shooting game is in poor taste is certainly arguable, but there are meaningful differences between it and these other two games.

In other words, placing the targets in the real world instead of a fixated scene or range is what makes it in poor taste? I guess I kind of see it now.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Putting people between gun and target without asking them is the problem.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Arquinsiel posted:

Also it seems like after almost three years of dodging the rona everyone I know is down with something sniffly right now. Wash your hands and wear your masks, park goons.

I'm down with the rona right now. The whole house is. We all have our shots, but stupid people keep coughing on poo poo in public.

It's gonna be a long winter.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Tyler being a creep is old news. His victims ability to sue is a recent development that increases it's visibility

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

It's really funny/depressing to see comments responding to the Rock N Roller refurb closure announcement saying poo poo like "Oh no, is Disney going to ruin this with WOKENESS too??? :cry:"

Like just zero awareness of how Stephen Tyler is a longtime weird sex pest and licensing a ride based on a rock and roll band was a really stupid idea in the first place

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Re-theme it to a Josie and the Pussycats (2001) coaster.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
It's from the era where Disney was trying to be slightly edgier and more "adult" with its theme parks. They've dialed back on that quite a bit in the last decade.

I also, for some reason, though Steven Tyler and Aerosmith were "clean" but I guess its probably safe to assume that any 70's and 80's rocker has done awful poo poo.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

chitoryu12 posted:

There's a credible theory that while masking and quarantining helped protect us from COVID, it also made our bodies more vulnerable to many of the daily infections that we ordinarily suffer from with little to no consequence. All of the colds that we normally get are now kicking our asses harder.

This stuff is pseudo-science that scientists are debunking. The reality is we never really did mask or quarantine in the US at any large scale. Scientists think it's actually that COVID just weakens your immune system.

https://www.tpr.org/bioscience-medicine/2022-12-27/is-immunity-debt-or-immunity-theft-to-blame-for-childrens-respiratory-virus-spike

Edit: of course there is a super easy way to not get a respiratory illness.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

JAWS: The Ride: Starring Led Zeppelin

:haw:

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Hazo posted:

JAWS: The Ride: Starring Led Zeppelin

:haw:

But when are we getting the Earth, Wind & Fire version of Haunted Mansion?

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Parklore's pitch for setting the coaster in The Twilight Zone isn't incredibly good, but I like it better than the Avengers Flight Force clone we'll probably end up with

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
We have a giant big wheel where I live that's about 25% bigger than the Orlando Eye. Fire crews are trained on how to crawl all over the thing and conduct emergency exits. A stoppage sucks but it isn't "oh my god close it all shut it all down" bad.

I guess its probably safe to assume that any 70's and 80's rocker has done awful poo poo.

People keep saying Jon Bon Jovi could wipe the floor with New Jersey's politicians.

It's from the era where Disney was trying to be slightly edgier and more "adult" with its theme parks. They've dialed back on that quite a bit in the last decade.

I dunno if it's so much that as it is that era of Disney was also underwriting Lindsay Lohan going on benders and the Miley Cyrus "racy" Vanity Fair cover (that she says Disney forced her to apologize for but still stands by because it's just a teenager's back and people worry too much.) They were trying to appeal to teenagers in the way they did with Annette Funicello and the like in the 60s, and it kind of became a bit unraveled once TMZ came into existence and the realization that not only can you not control these people 24 hours a day, but now there's cameras everywhere at all times.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jan 2, 2023

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

how would i even breathe on the moon?

Boxman posted:

Parklore's pitch for setting the coaster in The Twilight Zone isn't incredibly good, but I like it better than the Avengers Flight Force clone we'll probably end up with

Just replace Aerosmith with the boy band from Turning Red and call it a day.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

JaneError posted:

oh god yes this please

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I'd actually like it to not have a "star". An idea I've had for a while is to make each coaster train get a specific soundtrack either by decade or by genre. The ride is of course pretty short so it would be hard to effectively cram in either into 90 seconds, but not impossible. The visuals during the ride could change to suit whatever soundtrack your coaster train has.

"Rock 'n' Roller Coaster: Rockin' Through the Decades" or something.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

JaneError posted:

Oh gently caress that's a really good idea.

I don't actually know how much room there is in the structure of the coaster but a giant physical red panda at the center of it would be amazing, even if it were static.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Rock and roll covers of classic Disney songs would work.

thatguyclint
Apr 11, 2005
See, I didn't know that...ducks eat for free at Subway.

JaneError posted:

It's this or Powerline and I'm not sure I'd accept anything else.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

thatguyclint posted:

I've heard Powerline being floated as a retheme idea but that's just about as obscure and outdated as Josie & The Pussycats.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah Powerline only happens if they have some grand plans for a new show or something

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
There's part of me that would like R&RC to remain something that is not entirely dependent on all-ages Disney IP.

The Turning Red idea isn't bad because those songs were written by Billie Eilish and her brother Finneas. From a park management standpoint though the problem with this sort of idea is that it they want R&RC to be a ride kids feel okay skipping out on. Making it based on a popular recent cartoon is going to increase the amount of kids who either want to go on the ride despite not knowing their own vomit potential, or feel pressured to by other kids. Like personally if I had to use a cartoon I would redo it to Big Hero 6 and recreate that whole "put your 3D glasses on" scene where Baymax flies above the city amid all those balloons, but that's not likely to happen for those reasons.

Probably the correct call would have been to do Guardians here instead of Epcot, but oh well! Whoever said Marvel is most likely right, and probably something like Venom or Deadpool. If the MCU could have hurried it up with the X-Men relaunch that would also have been fantastic.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jan 3, 2023

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Night at bald mountain coaster

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Craptacular! posted:

something like Venom or Deadpool. If the MCU could have hurried it up with the X-Men relaunch that would also have been fantastic.

A Deadpool theme would be nuts. Has Disney ever had a ride with an age requirement, not just a height requirement? I dunno how you do Deadpool without making it family unfriendly, that being kinda the point of the character (or at least, of his presentation via Ryan Reynolds).

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The Disney cruise ship had ant man talking about going up thanos’ butt hole with captain marvel so I think it would be fine

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Grundulum posted:

I dunno how you do Deadpool without making it family unfriendly, that being kinda the point of the character (or at least, of his presentation via Ryan Reynolds).

Deadpool 2 was recut to fit a PG rating, but the character is more than he is in the MCU. It's like how Wolverine could chop people's limbs off but in most media usually doesn't.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
If we're going with wild and impossible wishlist retheming to old musical properties that kids will never heard of then I want my Macross 7 coaster and none of you can convince me that it wouldn't be the best use of it :colbert:

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

thatguyclint posted:

Replace all the Aerosmith music with the "Coo-Coo Cola" commercial theme from Rescue Rangers.

Bottled in Pensacolaaaaa....!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I also, for some reason, though Steven Tyler and Aerosmith were "clean" but I guess its probably safe to assume that any 70's and 80's rocker has done awful poo poo.

Steven Tyler and Joe Perry were literally nicknamed the Toxic Twins for their violent drug abuse at the height of the band's fame.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Don't forget that he was friendly with Epstein!

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

So I'm hospitalized, was a day away from death, have staph and mrsa attacking me, and am in the icu. If you're at the parks, I'd say be real careful with anything you touch.

And the almost died is from the doctors. Im about to go do surgery 2 in a minute. So be careful dizgoons

Yikes! Are you doing better?

chitoryu12 posted:

There's a credible theory that while masking and quarantining helped protect us from COVID, it also made our bodies more vulnerable to many of the daily infections that we ordinarily suffer from with little to no consequence. All of the colds that we normally get are now kicking our asses harder.

I've heard this but it's never made any sense to me. It's "In order to not get sick, you've got to get sick more!" What kind of moon logic is that?

Stay well, everyone! I've never stopped masking with high-quality respirators, haven't gotten any of these hell colds ya'll are talking about.

Coasterphreak posted:

I'm down with the rona right now. The whole house is. We all have our shots, but stupid people keep coughing on poo poo in public.

It's gonna be a long winter.

It's airborne. It gets in the air just from normal breathing and spreads when people breathe it in. It doesn't need coughing to spread. And while the vaccines are protective against severe disease, they don't prevent infection and transmission. Preventing infection requires clean air and/or masks in addition to vaccines. Don't breathe other people's gross air. Advocate for clean air in public spaces. Getting awful colds several times a year doesn't have to be inevitable and we don't have to accept it.

I've been watching Mr Morrow for months and he appears to never get the rona despite doing a ton of crowds, indoor dining, and cons. Dunno how he pulls it off. Maybe we all need beards and fedoras?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Dren posted:

I've heard this but it's never made any sense to me. It's "In order to not get sick, you've got to get sick more!" What kind of moon logic is that?
It's the moon logic that vaccines operate on. It's just abstracted a level or two and doesn't really hold up too well.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Arquinsiel posted:

It's the moon logic that vaccines operate on. It's just abstracted a level or two and doesn't really hold up too well.

Vaccines don't make you sick though. (yes, yes you can feel bad for a day or two and there are very rare adverse events)

Getting sick for a week or more in order to... not get sick for a week or more is just silly. Let me just carve out 4 weeks to get covid, flu, rsv and strep so I don't get sick for 4 weeks with covid, flu, rsv and strep.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Dren posted:

Yikes! Are you doing better?

I'm still hospitalized but finally off all the IV poo poo for the moment and, if I'm lucky, might get to go home tomorrow. You can stick a croissant in my neck and tuck it away for later.

One little spark, the streaming team, never gets sick either. They're always maskless everywhere and it blows my mind that they don't even really get the flu.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Dren posted:

Vaccines don't make you sick though. (yes, yes you can feel bad for a day or two and there are very rare adverse events)

Getting sick for a week or more in order to... not get sick for a week or more is just silly. Let me just carve out 4 weeks to get covid, flu, rsv and strep so I don't get sick for 4 weeks with covid, flu, rsv and strep.
Like I said, it doesn't hold up too well. It also points to the secondary school-level explanation of vaccines via the cowpox story, the level that is pretty common amongst people mad that science has gotten complex as they aged and doesn't make them feel good anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Dren posted:

Maybe we all need beards and fedoras?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yM2G-TAmZG8&t=4s