Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Playing half life 2 for the first time ever.

I love how all the levels are kind of like giant clockwork pieces filled with physics,the designers knew exactly where you'd be shooting and how it would affect a scene.

During the highway sequences i went into a small shack and was freaked out when a combine appeared from around a corner,i panicked and fired hitting a canister which set off a chain reaction exploding windows and even a piece of the roof.

The carrier fight underneath the bridge is fantastic,i see so much dishonored in some of the larger setpieces,even the bad guys look the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Leavemywife posted:

In Bloodstained Ritual of the Night, what you equip changes Miriam's appearance. I'm very early in the game, not even into the castle yet, but I've found this stone mask that looks ridiculous and it makes me laugh.

So far, it seems like a very solid SotN spiritual successor, and I'm loving it.

there's a lot more customization than i thought and it rules

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Leavemywife posted:

I've found this stone mask that looks ridiculous and it makes me laugh.

Asking completely unironically, is this (that) a JoJo reference?

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Warbird posted:

she will do a pose if you have it equipped i am p sure

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
In the mobile game Buriedbornes there's an item you can get that makes all the enemies look like cats. Unfortunately knowing what each enemy is is kinda important. But cats.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

I love how all the levels are kind of like giant clockwork pieces filled with physics,the designers knew exactly where you'd be shooting and how it would affect a scene.

During the highway sequences i went into a small shack and was freaked out when a combine appeared from around a corner,i panicked and fired hitting a canister which set off a chain reaction exploding windows and even a piece of the roof.

The carrier fight underneath the bridge is fantastic,i see so much dishonored in some of the larger setpieces,even the bad guys look the same.

IIRC the Half-Life 2 art director worked on Dishonored after leaving Valve, so the similarity is no coincidence.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Warbird posted:

Yes. Iga loves JoJo and has had the Stone Mask in Castlevania since SotN.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
BTW is it just me or does Kratos have a slight tinge of a greek accent in the new game? There seem to be some syllables that he says in a slightly odd way, like at the end of the sentence "We are no longer safe here..." there seems to be a very slight rolling of that last r sound. Could just be an artefact of the gruff voice though.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

StandardVC10 posted:

IIRC the Half-Life 2 art director worked on Dishonored after leaving Valve, so the similarity is no coincidence.

Well that makes sense,the bleak quasi russia setting was definitely an inspired choice as well.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
There's a barber demon named Todd who can give you different haircuts, change hair color skin color, and your outfit colors. Bloodstained is really good so far.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

BioEnchanted posted:

BTW is it just me or does Kratos have a slight tinge of a greek accent in the new game? There seem to be some syllables that he says in a slightly odd way, like at the end of the sentence "We are no longer safe here..." there seems to be a very slight rolling of that last r sound. Could just be an artefact of the gruff voice though.

That's just Christopher Judge.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

StandardVC10 posted:

Arkane's cancelled game that eventually became Dishonored looks even more Half Life: https://youtu.be/ntwT_QaOYAw

It also had a modern temaplar conspiracy and assymetric multiplayer, so they somehow anticipated the last ten years of ubisoft.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

I don't think HL2 had aged very well but Valve's ability to "signpost" was a quiet revolution. The commentary is really interesting too

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I remember my first "wow" moment of HL2 was when the combine officer orders you to pick up a can and put it in the trash. Of course I picked it up and immediately threw it at him, which I then got an achievement for. I don't even know why but I've always loved that.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

ChaosArgate posted:

Yes. Iga loves JoJo and has had the Stone Mask in Castlevania since SotN.

Just a shame it never turns you into a vampire if you get blood on it. Does... does it turn you into a vampire now?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Well, in SotN, of course it can't make you a vampire. Alucard could kick Dio's rear end, anyways.

Bloodstained is really good. It's such a good Metroidvania. I'm very happy with it, even if I was one of the PS4 backers who got their PS4 code late.

And look at this fuckin' cat. It drops a soul that lets you drop a pillar of flame.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

BioEnchanted posted:

Hey bio, hit me up on discord, it's your turn in the Jimmy tank.

Man that didn't sound good.

On topic: all the grunts kiryu makes in Yakuza. It's much better than "..."

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I don't think HL2 had aged very well but Valve's ability to "signpost" was a quiet revolution. The commentary is really interesting too

The commentary is great partly because it teaches you about that sign-posting, and it makes me feel like such a genius when I spot other games doing it well/badly.

Like, a load of dumb shooters have to literally pop-up a "press F to have your camera dragged towards our scripted event" which is awful. Or then you have stuff like Destiny 2, where the tutorial has a bit where you have to hide behind a forcefield that you probably haven't even seen. And then immediately afterwards you're suppose to watch some space-wizard pull down a landing craft, but she's floating off to the side, and if you run down the very inviting path right in front of you and THEN turn to watch her you get crushed to death.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Even better, that forcefield doesn't exist until the few seconds between the audio cue and the entire area getting nuked.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

One bit early on in Half life 2 made me piss myself laughing,when you're still in city 17 and you're running from the combine you have a train coming towards you.

A nearby barrel got stuck between the train and the wall and made the train stop dead in its tracks.

Also finding the lambda secrets is quite fun but i managed to miss a few i think.

Ravenholme is very cool and tense and firing buzzsaws at zombies is very cathartic.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Ravenholm is still scary. They nailed the atmosphere so right.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

TontoCorazon posted:

Even though I've played through it 10 times, I always dread that part. Probably because I was young enough when it came out and was the first game to make my skin crawl.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

TontoCorazon posted:

I wish I could figure out exactly what did it in Ravenholm, but it's the only time that I've been scared of outright violent zombies.

As a kid the scariest thing in the world to me was the ReDeads in Ocarina of Time. And for a long time I took that as 'fear of zombies', but it really wasn't, because it was them being slow, lumbering, shrieking human-like things that rather than outright attacking, killed you by doing... something (it really wasn't clear in the 64 days, and honestly I'm still not sure with the 64 design that doesn't have much of a mouth to speak of). Most other zombies are pretty much just lumbering idiots, but the ReDeads weren't. And somehow Ravenholm still works, despite the headcrab zombies being basically exactly what doesn't scare me.

Thinking about the ReDeads, I think what works about their 64 design is that they aren't really an archetypal zombie in behavior. They're an archetypal ghost that happens to be made of meat, and that's way creepier than zombies or ghosts.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Developer Commentary Mode is one of my favorite things about Valve games and it kills me that nobody else ever does it.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

TontoCorazon posted:

The sound design for the runner zombies is on point.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Ariong posted:

Developer Commentary Mode is one of my favorite things about Valve games and it kills me that nobody else ever does it.

The remastered Grim Fandango, Full Throttle, and Day of the Tentacle all have this, and it's great.

You get to learn fun facts, like the fact that the cat races in Grim Fandango are actually being run via a script rather than just a set dialogue chain, so you could actually (in theory) sit and listen to a cat race all the way through and bet on it if you wanted to.

Also, due to a coding oversight, the game will literally never stop running cat races for that save file once it starts. At all times until the end credits finish and you quit to desktop or start a new save from the beginning, it's still quietly simulating cat races in the background while the rest of the game goes on.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

Samovar posted:

When you're on the roof waiting for that cable car thing and the pipes are rattling and you hear those howls. Goddamn that was a good level.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

GrandmaParty posted:

Hey bio, hit me up on discord, it's your turn in the Jimmy tank.

Man that didn't sound good.

On topic: all the grunts kiryu makes in Yakuza. It's much better than "..."

What's your discord name?

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Cleretic posted:

I wish I could figure out exactly what did it in Ravenholm, but it's the only time that I've been scared of outright violent zombies.

As a kid the scariest thing in the world to me was the ReDeads in Ocarina of Time. And for a long time I took that as 'fear of zombies', but it really wasn't, because it was them being slow, lumbering, shrieking human-like things that rather than outright attacking, killed you by doing... something (it really wasn't clear in the 64 days, and honestly I'm still not sure with the 64 design that doesn't have much of a mouth to speak of). Most other zombies are pretty much just lumbering idiots, but the ReDeads weren't. And somehow Ravenholm still works, despite the headcrab zombies being basically exactly what doesn't scare me.

Thinking about the ReDeads, I think what works about their 64 design is that they aren't really an archetypal zombie in behavior. They're an archetypal ghost that happens to be made of meat, and that's way creepier than zombies or ghosts.

It was a combination of a lot of things, the sound design, the atmosphere, and they really did do jump scares super well.

The jump scares were not too often and they pitted you against some serious frightening enemies. That zombie with all the black head crabs sounds so loving scary and that fucker throws them at you. gently caress that noise

I think a lot of it was the sound design though
https://youtu.be/md1afDGmUXA

I'm playing through half life 2 with a mod that re-reversed the headcrab voices and I found it way worse.

TontoCorazon has a new favorite as of 19:56 on Jun 21, 2019

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Samovar posted:

Yep and when you hear multiple of them climbing the drainage pipes it gets pretty tense

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Dewgy posted:

The remastered Grim Fandango, Full Throttle, and Day of the Tentacle all have this, and it's great.

You get to learn fun facts, like the fact that the cat races in Grim Fandango are actually being run via a script rather than just a set dialogue chain, so you could actually (in theory) sit and listen to a cat race all the way through and bet on it if you wanted to.

Also, due to a coding oversight, the game will literally never stop running cat races for that save file once it starts. At all times until the end credits finish and you quit to desktop or start a new save from the beginning, it's still quietly simulating cat races in the background while the rest of the game goes on.

PYF little things in games: still quietly simulating cat races

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

What I loved about Ravenholm wasn't just the zombies and headcrabs, the satisfying ways I could kill them or the sense of urgency you got with activating the traps or waiting on the rooftops, it was also having this crazy priest (?) character goading you along.

I think that's what made it special, at least for me. I was on my own, but not alone. There was someone else. Not helping me, but rooting for me. I had something to prove. All these crazy contraptions all around me and I just had to use my wits to get through it all. It was possible, the crazy guy is proof, and by god I was going to do it.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Taeke posted:

What I loved about Ravenholm wasn't just the zombies and headcrabs, the satisfying ways I could kill them or the sense of urgency you got with activating the traps or waiting on the rooftops, it was also having this crazy priest (?) character goading you along.

I think that's what made it special, at least for me. I was on my own, but not alone. There was someone else. Not helping me, but rooting for me. I had something to prove. All these crazy contraptions all around me and I just had to use my wits to get through it all. It was possible, the crazy guy is proof, and by god I was going to do it.

The fact that you got the gravity gun 5 minutes earlier and they open up a gravity gun playground to you was the best.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
In one of the later levels of HL2 you have to navigate this Mission Impossible-style laser grid to shut off a security system. Not long after you've started, they play the sound of the laser mortar you dodged on your way in, for no reason besides faking you out. :v:

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Tales of Vesperia: Flynn's room has a cute childhood self-portrait.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

TontoCorazon posted:

Yep and when you hear multiple of them climbing the drainage pipes it gets pretty tense

that bit was super cool and the fact that the pipes actually rattle as they climb up them.

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

tight aspirations posted:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I was just reminded of the existence of these games. I played them when I was like 6 or 7 and 100% definitely way too young to play, both in terms of "not understanding what the gently caress to do" and also "unprepared to hear a non-anesthetized patient scream when I cut into them"

But the game's absolutely full of little things. I like these videos because they both showcase the little things, and are pretty accurate to how I played them at the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sczxk0IkcVY

I especially liked how by the second game, they clearly knew how their players were playing, because they turn the snark up to 11 when you gently caress up on a patient, complete with morgue doctors bantering over pizza on your patient's dead body.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGjMHEs8wAI

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Cleretic posted:

And for a long time I took that as 'fear of zombies', but it really wasn't, because it was them being slow, lumbering, shrieking human-like things that rather than outright attacking, killed you by doing... something (it really wasn't clear in the 64 days, and honestly I'm still not sure with the 64 design that doesn't have much of a mouth to speak of).

redeads hump you to death. pretty sure this is canon.

count me in as someone scared as poo poo of redeads when I was a kid. that one loving redead whose gaze you can't avoid during the castle escape.... bluh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

tight aspirations posted: