Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Deep Dungeons of Doom is in the first BTA tier of the recent weekly Humble Bundle. I've only played an hour of it and it's definitely plays like a mobile port with the very simple gameplay, but it has the feel of a solid, time-waster game. You mainly only use WASD or the arrow keys: hit left/a to block, right/d to attack, down, a to move onto the next floor, etc. The pixelwork is nice, the music is pretty catchy, and the talking bits are brief enough to be somewhat amusing and not feel like they're getting in the way. It has passed the test of "will I play this for more than 10 minutes before uninstalling" so I'd say it's worth it if you want to play a short-burst rhythm game. Don't know if I'll finish it but its compelled me enough to play it some more.

EDIT: It's actually in the BTA tier, so if the other games don't entice you much, you can just pick up on steam for 2.49 USD.

Sivek fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Dec 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Hellburger99 posted:

I only watched a bit, but you got me interested in it. Was it already on sale along with Endless Legend, or is 33% as low as it's been/going to go this sale?

It was already on sale for a whole bunch cheaper the day before the sale, and then again when Endless Legend went on sale.

It may come back for the end of day repeat sale though? Either way, I'll probably start streaming runs over the next few days just to get people to check it out and get some ( terrible bad ) Easy strategies. I can reliably hit floor 8-10 on Too Easy now, so I'm basically banging my head against the Easy wall, trying to get a run mobilized and moving forward. So far my biggest bane seems to be those ignore steles, as I build my runs around heavy firepower/chokepoints with runners drawing everything back into a killzone. Becomes a bit of a problem when the enemy mobs ignore the killzone and just wander through it though. :v:

I'd be down for setting up some goon runs on my days off if anyone is interested. I'll ease people in with Too Easy and move up from there when people get a few more heroes under their belts. Only problem is multiplayer doesn't have saves yet, so as the host I'll need to stick around for the whole thing ( other people can drop out when their hero dies/they need to go to work and the rest of us can take over for them. But on those first 3-4 floors they can grab a few new heroes for their game and unlock them. ). So yeah, days off runs only. If we do end up getting 4 interested people at a time, it'll keep people from getting new heroes, but it'll still be useful to show people good strategies they can take forward into their single player games, even with the basic hero setup.

I'll probably write up a strategy post if enough people end up getting the game/are interested in such a thing.

e: e: and i'm off to work! that was a lot of fun, although it made me realize too easy is a bit too easy for me now. i have 3 high wit heroes, a bunch of wit boosting items, and almost everything unlocked at this point. outside of a really bad level layout, i'm not sure anything going forward can hurt me. either way, i'll be jumping back in at the end of the day to finish it off.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Dec 21, 2014

Poopinstein
Apr 1, 2003

Yeah you did it!

Sivek posted:

Deep Dungeons of Doom is in the first tier of the recent weekly Humble Bundle. I've only played an hour of it and it's definitely plays like a mobile port with the very simple gameplay, but it has the feel of a solid, time-waster game. You mainly only use WASD or the arrow keys: hit left/a to block, right/d to attack, down, a to move onto the next floor, etc. The pixelwork is nice, the music is pretty catchy, and the talking bits are brief enough to be somewhat amusing and not feel like they're getting in the way. Only a buck and its passed the test of "will I play this for more than 10 minutes before uninstalling" so I'd say it's worth it if you want to play a short-burst rhythm game. Don't know if I'll finish it but its compelled me enough to play it some more.

Yah, this game is weird. It's super simple and basic yet...I can't help but come back to it. It's definitely a mobile port...they don't even try to hide it. It's fun enough that it doesn't matter. It's pretty perfect if you're hanging out and watching a movie on the computer, have 5 min before lunch, etc. etc.

SpaceLion
Jun 10, 2013

Rookersh posted:

It was already on sale for a whole bunch cheaper the day before the sale, and then again when Endless Legend went on sale.

It may come back for the end of day repeat sale though? Either way, I'll probably start streaming runs over the next few days just to get people to check it out and get some ( terrible bad ) Easy strategies. I can reliably hit floor 8-10 on Too Easy now, so I'm basically banging my head against the Easy wall, trying to get a run mobilized and moving forward. So far my biggest bane seems to be those ignore steles, as I build my runs around heavy firepower/chokepoints with runners drawing everything back into a killzone. Becomes a bit of a problem when the enemy mobs ignore the killzone and just wander through it though. :v:

I'd be down for setting up some goon runs on my days off if anyone is interested. I'll ease people in with Too Easy and move up from there when people get a few more heroes under their belts. Only problem is multiplayer doesn't have saves yet, so as the host I'll need to stick around for the whole thing ( other people can drop out when their hero dies/they need to go to work and the rest of us can take over for them. But on those first 3-4 floors they can grab a few new heroes for their game and unlock them. ). So yeah, days off runs only. If we do end up getting 4 interested people at a time, it'll keep people from getting new heroes, but it'll still be useful to show people good strategies they can take forward into their single player games, even with the basic hero setup.

I'll probably write up a strategy post if enough people end up getting the game/are interested in such a thing.

A strategy post would be cool. I picked it up during the Fall sale and have enjoyed it, but I feel like I've plateaued a bit. So some new tips would be good. Seems like it would be a fun one watch a stream of as well.

Sivek posted:

Deep Dungeons of Doom is in the first tier of the recent weekly Humble Bundle. I've only played an hour of it and it's definitely plays like a mobile port with the very simple gameplay, but it has the feel of a solid, time-waster game. You mainly only use WASD or the arrow keys: hit left/a to block, right/d to attack, down, a to move onto the next floor, etc. The pixelwork is nice, the music is pretty catchy, and the talking bits are brief enough to be somewhat amusing and not feel like they're getting in the way. Only a buck and its passed the test of "will I play this for more than 10 minutes before uninstalling" so I'd say it's worth it if you want to play a short-burst rhythm game. Don't know if I'll finish it but its compelled me enough to play it some more.

Poopinstein posted:

Yah, this game is weird. It's super simple and basic yet...I can't help but come back to it. It's definitely a mobile port...they don't even try to hide it. It's fun enough that it doesn't matter. It's pretty perfect if you're hanging out and watching a movie on the computer, have 5 min before lunch, etc. etc.

3rd-ed!

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Has anyone played Knights of Pen & Paper? I was looking at it earlier on the Humble Store, but I found that it's also on Google Play for the same price (about $2.50). I figured if I was going to play it, I'd get the mobile version. Is there anything I should know about the game or any reason to steer clear or it?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Max Wilco posted:

Has anyone played Knights of Pen & Paper? I was looking at it earlier on the Humble Store, but I found that it's also on Google Play for the same price (about $2.50). I figured if I was going to play it, I'd get the mobile version. Is there anything I should know about the game or any reason to steer clear or it?

ehhhhhhhhhhhhh

I know the iOS thread generally liked it, but I found it pretty boring, grindy, and soulless.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
It's a good game for short sessions so you'd probably want the mobile version.

It's just not the type of game made for PC.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!

Max Wilco posted:

It's a good mobile game, if its a good game at all. A big draw is the writing (which I didn't like too much), but it's just not something I can see being engaging for a PC game.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Max Wilco posted:

It's a great game to play on the toilet.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Surely this got asked before but this thread moves fast enough, so:

Xenonauts vs. XCOM:EU/EW: Who wins?

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
Does anyone else have login issues right now? I can't connect to steam with the client, but the store and everything is up.

edit: nevermind, it's working again.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Sighence posted:

Both for different reasons. The latter has an impressive mod that, while making the base game useless, creates one of the best modern strategy games in years. The former is a rather impressive recreation of the original XCOM for the HD world.

Pick whatever sounds better to you, but if both interest you get both.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
So what's up with Dead State? I don't mind some jank but reviews have mostly painted the game that they pushed it to Launch to catch extra sales while still having long-standing Alpha/Beta bugs.

Sighence posted:

Surely this got asked before but this thread moves fast enough, so:

Xenoaunts has riot shields apparently.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

The latter has an impressive mod that, while making the base game useless, creates one of the best modern strategy games in years.

Are you talking about the Long War mod? It's that good?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

HogX posted:

You sons of bitches better vote for Bulletstorm, or so help me I'll KILL YOUR DICK!

Bulletstorm is a thing of alien beauty. Everyone must buy it.

e; Yes, Long War is that good. EU/EW was already superb, but LW is up there with Kaiserreich for Darkest Hour as an example of why we put up with insane bullshit from modder prima donnas - on occasion, mods are so good they surpass the original.

However, whether you'd prefer EW or Xenonauts is really not something that can be suggested by someone else. EW is a slick, polished game, with huge replayability (especially with Long War), that really does feel like a superb update of the old X-Com formulate. Xenonauts is the old formula, with most of the problems ironed out, quality of life improvements, etc. It's fairly faithful to the original X-Com games in style and tone so if you just want that but polished for the modern day, it's the way to go.

Remember there is also Open X-Com, which needs a copy of the original X-Com, but has a huge array of fixes, improvements, and options, as well as mods.

You're not going to go wrong with any of them, they are all superb, so really you've got to decide whether you want the original with fixes, the original made today, or a brilliant spiritual successor.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Dec 21, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Saoshyant posted:

Both for different reasons. The latter has an impressive mod that, while making the base game useless, creates one of the best modern strategy games in years. The former is a rather impressive recreation of the original XCOM for the HD world.

Pick whatever sounds better to you, but if both interest you get both.

XCOM was already one of the best modern strategy games in years before any expansions or mods were released for it.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Quick FarCry4 question...

So I've yet to join the 21st century, and still game on a 19" monitor, meaning I'm on 1280 by 1024.

Normally this isn't a problem, the UI scales properly, or I have to live with wee black bars on the top and bottom of the screen. Far Cry 3, scaled properly for example.

Far Cry 4 has some of the WORST black bars I have ever seen. Nearly 1/3 of my display is a black bar, putting the game in a tiny strip in the middle and making it nearly unplayable.

I've fiddled with all the display settings, but I take it there's no way to make it full screen like Far Cry 3? I'm permanently trapped in letterbox until I get a new monitor?

At least it was free, I suppose. :sigh:

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.
Steam won't connect for me again today; are there any 'must have' deals from the 12 hour flash sale that is about to expire?

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

mr. nobody posted:

Steam won't connect for me again today; are there any 'must have' deals from the 12 hour flash sale that is about to expire?

Same. Stupid Steam.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

mr. nobody posted:

Keep trying, it wasn't working for me, (but the phone app and the website logins work!) but it just logged me in finally, after I complained to a friend about it.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Snuffman posted:

So I've yet to join the 21st century, and still game on a 19" monitor, meaning I'm on 1280 by 1024.

Normally this isn't a problem, the UI scales properly, or I have to live with wee black bars on the top and bottom of the screen. Far Cry 3, scaled properly for example.

Far Cry 4 has some of the WORST black bars I have ever seen. Nearly 1/3 of my display is a black bar, putting the game in a tiny strip in the middle and making it nearly unplayable.

I've fiddled with all the display settings, but I take it there's no way to make it full screen like Far Cry 3? I'm permanently trapped in letterbox until I get a new monitor?

Just get a widescreen monitor. There's literally zero reason to stick with 4:3. You can probably find one for cheaper than a new game.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

mr. nobody posted:

Front page 12 hour sales actually last for 24 hours :ssh:
They get taken off the front sale but are still on sale for another 12 hours.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Keep trying, it wasn't working for me, (but the phone app and the website logins work!) but it just logged me in finally, after I complained to a friend about it.
I went into Offline Mode and then used the Go Online option on the Steam menu.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

Croccers posted:

Front page 12 hour sales actually last for 24 hours :ssh:
They get taken off the front sale but are still on sale for another 12 hours.

Thanks, and yeah a few dozen more attempts and it connected I just got the deal-anxiety

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Also, you might want to hold off on Endless War until you've clocked a few hours in the base game cause it ramps up the difficulty to fuckyou levels of ridiculous.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Road Redemption is looking more tempting the longer I stare at it in my wishlist. How's it coming along for an EA game?

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Hey people, you don't have to use terrible client for Steam store. Normal web browsers can access it too:
http://store.steampowered.com/

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Deakul posted:

Also, you might want to hold off on Endless War until you've clocked a few hours in the base game cause it ramps up the difficulty to fuckyou levels of ridiculous.

That's true, those of us talking about it should have emphasized this. It will gently caress you hard even if you know exactly what you're doing.

Lonely Rolling Star
Mar 20, 2009

Better than a crowbar.

iastudent posted:

Road Redemption is looking more tempting the longer I stare at it in my wishlist. How's it coming along for an EA game?

As of last patch (couple days ago) it's running really well for me. The basic campaign is pretty short and obviously unfinished though. It is very replayable, just be ready for some jank.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Is Grim Dawn worth it at 12.50?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

To anyone even playing with the idea of getting Spore:

It's extremely casual.

About the only thing I enjoyed was creating my creatures, buildings, and vehicles... but even that wore thin once you realized none of what you do to the creatures, buildings, and vehicles really matters.
On that note, the cell stage is the only stage that I genuinely enjoyed.
The creature stage plays like a very simplified MMORPG.
The tribal stage plays like a simplified and extremely boring small scale RTS.
The civilization stage is probably the worst of them all where it's simply a matter of who spams the most units and gets to the instant-win super weapon thing first.

Ultimately, by the space stage, you're just an intergalactic babysitter that has to do everything for everyone and you have no time to yourself to gently caress around.
I will admit that I had a relatively "alright" time on my very first playthrough, it might've been my initial hype still fueling my playthrough, but I just can't see myself ever replaying it, I've tried and it's just so boring.

Galactic Adventures isn't as cool as it sounds since the genuinely fun adventures are few and far between and even then, they all play the same really. It also controls much like an MMORPG does with auto-targeting and skill spam.

It's very hard for me to recommend it for $12.49, I pre-ordered the original game's Galactic Edition and then got suckered into the Creepy & Cute and Galactic Adventures expansions at full price and still regret the money I spent on it.
I was also very much hyped for the game, reading every interview and watching every demonstration of it.
It's easily the biggest gaming disappointment of my life.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Mr E posted:

Is Grim Dawn worth it at 12.50?

If you have even a hint of affection for ARPGs, yes it is.

e; to expand, it's the successor to Titan Quest with many of the same people involved, and though development is fairly slow, there's a lot of gameplay by this point. It's an exceptionally good game, probably my favorite of recent years in the genre (even more than TL), and it's continuing to grow in scope.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Dec 21, 2014

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Mister Adequate posted:

If you have even a hint of affection for ARPGs, yes it is.

Awesome, I was hoping that it was.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Deakul posted:

It's easily the biggest gaming disappointment of my life.

:(:respek::(

I just wanted a procedurally generated Civilization-style game with infinite possibilities that I could play forever! Was that too much to ask? Oh...

TheCoon
Mar 3, 2009

Snuffman posted:

Have you tried the solution in this post? It involves downloading a random exe off the internet but it might help.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

FutonForensic posted:

:(:respek::(

I just wanted a procedurally generated Civilization-style game with infinite possibilities that I could play forever! Was that too much to ask? Oh...

Isn't Civ already kinda that?

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Isn't Civ already kinda that?

Yeah but you can't make your civ out of dicks can you?

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Mr E posted:

Awesome, I was hoping that it was.

Yeah, just played a bit, and its really fun so far and I like the world/graphics. (Through I wish it was more new world and less standard fantasy action RPG old Europe but I just started). We're in luck too, the first half of the third act just dropped so even more content to play through. Some one also created a Skill Caculator like for Titan's Quest already: http://grimcalc.com/

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Asmodai_00 posted:

Are you talking about the Long War mod? It's that good?

I wouldn't say Long War is quite THAT good (I'd still recommend any new player try it without any mods at first), but it's getting there, and an improvement on the original in most regards. Lots of vanilla bugs fixed, better UI, better AI, more mission types, more gear, larger squads, more meaningful choices and viable playstyles.

It's also susprisingly fair. A lot of XCom goons have been tuning in pretty religiously to Beaglerush's 'Thursday Night XCom' streams, where the guy has been playing through Long War on Ironman Impossible difficulty - he's basically their unofficial testing team to make sure the game is even beatable on that setting. He's in the mid-late stages of the campaign now and recently made a terrible mistake, sending out a low-level squad with all his best gear to compensate into a mission that went south. Mistakes were made, he got cut off from his landing site and (due to a now-fixed bug) he lost almost all of his equipment, including MEC suits.

In classic Hollywood fashion, he has since made a near full comeback. It might be tougher and meaner than regular XCom, but it's still possible to claw your way back from what looks like near total defeat, and even the occasional loss of 8 soldiers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

FutonForensic posted:

Yeah but you can't make your civ out of dicks can you?

Civ 5 has mod support. So yes.

• Locked thread