Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

admiraldennis posted:

People seem confused with their usage of inside-out. HTC Vive is inside-out in that the unit positions itself - the lighthouses are just dumb beacons. Rift is outside in, the cameras actually track the devices. Quest et al are inside-out with internal sensors.

SCheeseman posted:

Another artifact of incorrect IPD is additional distortion that happens when scanning a scene with your eyes, the further your eyes are from the center of the lens the more pronounced the distortion will be. The former can be corrected in software, the latter can't be, at least not with current gen HMDs and lenses.

Goons - can't tell the difference between inside-out and outside-in lighthouse is def outside-in but know about eye-position dependent pupil swim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Delta-Wye posted:

Goons - can't tell the difference between inside-out and outside-in lighthouse is def outside-in but know about eye-position dependent pupil swim.

How is lighthouse outside in? It's just LEDs and lasers, no data goes back to the computer from the lighthouse devices. It's the exact same as using cameras and external tracking patterns, or just building a model of the space off camera images. Both use sensors that pick up light, and use patterns to determine where the headset is located.

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

How is lighthouse outside in? It's just LEDs and lasers, no data goes back to the computer from the lighthouse devices. It's the exact same as using cameras and external tracking patterns, or just building a model of the space off camera images. Both use sensors that pick up light, and use patterns to determine where the headset is located.

The best way to really determine the classification of outside-in vs. inside-out is "Do I need to setup something external to my HMD in order to support tracking?" For both Rift Constellation and Vive Lighthouse, this is the case. Arguing over what direction the light/laser moves, whether to or from the headset, is silly and doesn't actually mean anything. What matters is if you need to purchase cameras or lighthouses and set them up externally in order to solve for the position of the device.

WaterIsPoison fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Mar 30, 2019

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Delta-Wye posted:

Goons - can't look up the definition of inside-out tracking before posting their idiocy on the forums

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

WaterIsPoison posted:

The best way to really determine the classification of outside-in vs. inside-out is "Do I need to setup something external to my HMD in order to support tracking?" For both Rift Constellation and Vive Lighthouse, this is the case. Arguing over what direction the light/laser moves, whether to or from the headset, is silly and doesn't actually mean anything. What matters is if you need to purchase cameras or lighthouses and set them up externally in order to solve for the position of the device.

But words have meaning. You can't just redefine them because the mechanics of it is confusing for you.

Lighthouses are just a fancy version of sticking tracking markers on your walls, there are still cameras INside the headset, tracking OUT.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

WaterIsPoison posted:

So are we just making up our own definitions for words now? I guess I can say that Constellation is inside out because light comes from inside the headset and goes out to the cameras. Inside out has a definition, and it's the one I gave in my last post. The headset uses a sensor or a camera and determines its own location. Outside in is an external device that determines where the headset is. The lighthouses do not in any way shape or form track the headset or the controllers, they only emit light in a predetermined pattern.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

I propose a new term, "self-contained tracking", please use this instead of using "inside-out tracking" wrongly, tia

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

BMan posted:

I propose a new term, "self-contained tracking", please use this instead of using "inside-out tracking" wrongly, tia

Agreed.

Or even better portable tracking (because that is the real appeal to Quest's style of inside out).

Vive is defacto inside out tracking. As is Quest. Both are cool and good but Quest is way more portable.

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

So are we just making up our own definitions for words now? I guess I can say that Constellation is inside out because light comes from inside the headset and goes out to the cameras. Inside out has a definition, and it's the one I gave in my last post. The headset uses a sensor or a camera and determines its own location. Outside in is an external device that determines where the headset is. The lighthouses do not in any way shape or form track the headset or the controllers, they only emit light in a predetermined pattern.

How is a lighthouse not an external device that determines where the headset it? Just because it's paints light with time sychronization vs. measuring light with time sychronization feels like a silly argument. The Vive cannot actually determine the pose of itself without the lighthouses telling it when it fired the laser. Yes, one uses computer vision techniques while another just uses precise laser emissions, but it's the same math essentially. This is ignoring the fact that these semantic knife edge arguments ignore the fact that the HMD/Controller IMUs are used in conjunction with optical measurements in order to determine their actual position, so there will never be a clean "This HMD determines it's own location while this one does not" (Except for Quest/Focus :eng101:)

Practically, what matters for users when it comes to understanding, the question is do I need to setup external devices or not? Will I lose tracking if I walk away or outside the FOV of those devices? If I block line of sight to the devices, will I lose tracking?

WaterIsPoison fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Mar 30, 2019

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

To those saying Lighthouse was never called Inside Out Tracking, from the OP penned in 2016:

quote:

Lighthouse

Lighthouse is the tracking technology created by Valve and is used by the HTC Vive. It is also free to be used by anyone else who decides to make a headset. It is inside-out tracking . There are two base stations that each flash IR LEDs and lasers. The headset and controllers have sensors that pick up the IR light and use the timing to figure out where in the play area they are. With this setup, mulitple sets of HMDs can use the same play area as the light house base stations do not communicate with the PC (except via bluetooth for starting up and shutting down).

As each base station is placed on either end of the play area, this allows for 360 degree tracking. This can end up with some occlusion issues though. The Vive only has sensors on the front of the HMD, so if you block too many sensors with a controller or your arm, you will lose tracking.

Constellation

Constellation is the tracking technology created by Oculus and is currently only used by the Rift though it may be possible for other hardware to use it as well. It is outside-in tracking . The headset and controllers are covered in IR LEDs. Each LED flashes out a coded ID number over time which is picked up by the tracking camera.

Constellation allows for 360 degree tracking of the headset with just one camera. The Rift has LEDs on both the front and the back of the headset allowing you to turn around while using it with just one camera. When touch is released, it will come with a second camera. Oculus has stated that this second camera will also be placed in front of you and not on the other side of the tracking area, unlike the Vive. While this will allow for more accurate tracking while facing front, this leaves no tracking for the controllers if you happen to turn around and they get occluded. Some unofficial testing as shown that the cameras work just fine when set up like a Vive, but it is not offically supported by oculus.

In the heyday of the Rift vs Vive wars here those terms were slung around with much fervor to prove whose nerd hat was best.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

BMan posted:

I propose a new term, "self-contained tracking", please use this instead of arguing for like 5 pages you loving gently caress fuckers

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

WaterIsPoison posted:

Practically, what matters for users when it comes to understanding, the question is do I need to setup external devices or not? Will I lose tracking if I walk away or outside the FOV of those devices? If I block line of sight to the devices, will I lose tracking?
I don't think it's very useful to define technical terms from the point of view of consumer expectations. But also these are all issues that'd you have with a marker-based inside-out system, or are systems that use markers not inside out now?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Quest tracking = good

Everything else tracking = bad (because it's not tracking a Quest)

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009

homeless snail posted:

I don't think it's very useful to define technical terms from the point of view of consumer expectations. But also these are all issues that'd you have with a marker-based inside-out system, or are systems that use markers not inside out now?

Marker based inside out (assuming you are talking about something like the Valve room) doesn't require electronic time synchronization with the features. Additionally, marker based inside out tracking systems can be turned into marker less inside out tracking systems with pure software changes (you just change your vision algorithm to look for different types features), assuming you don't do weird IR based fiducials or something. It's also a bit different in the sense that occlusions are determined from an egocentric perspective.

In general, it's a silly argument, and yeah people should just be talking about "Basestation or Basestation-less" systems as it's a more meaningful line to draw.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Constellation requires synchronization, lighthouse does not. Lighthouse flashes the LEDs to signify that a laser sweep will happen. There is no communication between the base stations and the computer or headset, whereas there is with rift. Lighthouse is the same conceptually as taping tracking targets to the walls or just finding unique things in the room to track.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

That is literally called a sync pulse, it synchronizes the sensors to the timing of the lighthouse. They're generously "active markers"

It's conceptually similar to start bits in serial communication. It's a signal that says "hey I'm about to send some poo poo, start your clock"

homeless snail fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Mar 30, 2019

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

Constellation requires synchronization, lighthouse does not. Lighthouse flashes the LEDs to signify that a laser sweep will happen. There is no communication between the base stations and the computer or headset, whereas there is with rift. Lighthouse is the same conceptually as taping tracking targets to the walls or just finding unique things in the room to track.

The lighthouses at least with V1 do need to synch with each other. They usually do it wirelessly, but if they can't for some reason (like if they don't have line of sight to each other) you can use a cable. I'm not sure exactly the technical reason why they need to.

This is a uselessly pedantic point but since that's all this conversation is I want to score points by doing it myself

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

Cojawfee posted:

I thought the base starting had to have line of sight to each other? Wouldn't that imply that they talk to each other?

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Skyarb posted:

I thought the base starting had to have line of sight to each other? Wouldn't that imply that they talk to each other?

They are flickering at opposite frequencies so the headset can tell them apart, they talk to each other to keep their timing right

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
They synchronize with each other to make sure they don't overlap, but there's no communication with the PC or headset aside from Bluetooth to turn them on and off.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

regardless of if they communicate with anything or not, the Rift and Vive sensors share one thing in common:

they both suck rear end and will keep VR relegated to expensive peripherals for super-nerds

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Good, because I'm a super nerd

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Anyone else getting tons of lag and hitreg problems with Pavlov recently? It's been so bad lately I get killed by players like a second after I just killed them. It is sort of fun and comical but I'm a bit confused

EDIT: I mean my ping is fine it's 40-50 odd. That's fine right?

Surprise Giraffe fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Mar 30, 2019

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Sorry my internet sucks and I live far away :shobon:

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Hadlock posted:

If you have narrow set eyes, and you look at a wide set VR headset, your eyes aren't just looking straight ahead, you're forcing your eyes to actually look apart from each other, which is super unnatural, is going to cause literal physical eye strain, plus mental uneasiness as you're not at all wired to do that

This 100% describes my experience with the Monoculous. I can't use it more than about 30 minutes before I start getting a headache from it. I have a narrow IPD and I doubt the Rift S is gonna work for me now.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Orbusvr Beta report

It appears they went to a zone-based approach rather than the open world they had last time, but it looks way better and runs smoother.

The new art style makes the NPCs far more aesthetically pleasing.

Players now have necks connecting their heads to their torsos, but no arms or legs. But I don't mind that in my online VR games.

There is now an auction house to use in addition to the weird player market system that involved bidding on the forums for a stall slot. You also have an auction house NPC in your player home as well. I forgot to get a lot of pictures of the player home but it is huge now, has a trophy room, library, etc.

The one pic of the player home I took was of the terrarium, with my little dragon inside of it. It has slots for two which is a shame. I would love to just fill it up with the little guys.

And that is all the screenshots worth looking at that I took. Combat appears to be basically the same though they have new classes with new mechanics. They are less straightforward than the original ones, so be sure to open your journal and go to their mechanic's page. I went multiple fights without realizing my paladin is supposed to hold his hammer in the air so it gets struck by godly lighting so I can go full Thor on the monsters. Most of your damage comes from this so not realizing that made combat a slog till I finally read it. That said it is kind of great that I can throw the hammer and will it back to my hands, too bad it doesn't do any damage on the way back.

Monsters do look a lot better this time around though. Now for the odd changes. The original OrbusVR used a standard MMO quest structure with chains of missions leading you through a story. Now you get repeatable missions from various NPCs to build reputation with them till they decide to offer you the story quests. This feels less straight forwards and more confusing. but I guess having lots of repeatable content to grind out with is probably needed.

Not sure if beta or if I am missing something but I have not been gaining any xp, but I am using my live character on the server so I might try making an alt to see if that fixes it.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

that's just a Mii

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I always hate it when developers just give up and take the arms and legs away altogether. If we can't do horrible things with our character's limbs, then what are we even doing in VR?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBaZjQNCZ4Y&t=95s

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Xakura posted:

But words have meaning. You can't just redefine them because the mechanics of it is confusing for you.

Lighthouses are just a fancy version of sticking tracking markers on your walls, there are still cameras INside the headset, tracking OUT.

Language is a living document and the definitions of words change all the time.

"Inside-out tracking" was adopted for WMR because it's using the headset on its own to perceive its playspace without anything used as a reference point. Vive got co-opted to be covered by outside-in tracking because by the inverse definition it's using a pair of external sensors to generate its playspace. Doesn't matter which way the light is travelling.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

BMan posted:

This is the right answer. Lighthouse style beacons, fiducial markers, and self-contained are all different varieties of inside-out. Self-contained is a specific subset of inside-out.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
I finally tried the Climbey demo. It seemed very badly broken? The tutorial got stuck on all three attempts insisting that I close the menu and ignoring when I did so, the trampolines didn't bounce and standing on descending platforms would drag me downwards off walls I was hanging onto. I have to assume the demo must be based off an old unmaintained codebase, but I'm really not encouraged to buy the full thing to find out. The lesson here is never make demos.

I also hated all their movement options, but I can at least believe that they were working as intended.

wolrah posted:

This is the right answer. Lighthouse style beacons, fiducial markers, and self-contained are all different varieties of inside-out. Self-contained is a specific subset of inside-out.

"Markerless tracking" works too, and is a term people already use in this context. Vive, Rift, PSVR and the classic Valve VR room are all based on tracking placed markers one way or another.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Why not just call vives tracking "lighthouse tracking" since there are no other vendors doing it that way

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Managed to get a brand new Vive Pro through work and have been really briefly playing around with it.

Is it just me or are the lighthouse v2 motors obnoxiously noisy? When on they both emit and extremely high pitched whine - not unlike the high frequency noises crtv monitors used to make that only under 20s could hear... Only I'm well past hearing those at 33 - and these are deafening in a otherwise quiet room.

It's rather spoiled any dev work I want to do in my study since it's hard to concentrate with them on.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Isometric Bacon posted:

Managed to get a brand new Vive Pro through work and have been really briefly playing around with it.

Is it just me or are the lighthouse v2 motors obnoxiously noisy? When on they both emit and extremely high pitched whine - not unlike the high frequency noises crtv monitors used to make that only under 20s could hear... Only I'm well past hearing those at 33 - and these are deafening in a otherwise quiet room.

It's rather spoiled any dev work I want to do in my study since it's hard to concentrate with them on.

Bad lighthouses? I've had them make noise on initial spin up but never consistent like that and not be damaged or dying.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

IDK 2.0s, but OG lighthouses will make that noise if they aren't screwed in all the way or sometimes the power cable vibrates noticeably until you adjust it

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Isometric Bacon posted:

Don’t know anything about lighthouses but I can still definitely hear CRTs at age 40.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Isometric Bacon posted:

My v1 lighthouses have always sounded like this

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
Sorry! I was out enjoying the nice weather today and let a whole page of nonsense fester. Both Constellation and Lighthouse are basically measuring angles between known immobile points in space (tracking cameras and base stations) and points along a rigid object that is under motion, and then fitting a model of that object to the now known angles relative to the immobile points in space. Each pixel on a Oculus Rift tracking camera represents an angle measurement directly from the sensors POV, Lighthouse just uses some clever techniques to convert time measurements into angle measurements. Constellation can ID which tracking LED is lighting up a particular pixel, just like how Lighthouse knows when the laser curtain sweeps over a particular sensor and then converts that to an angle.

Ya'll are getting confused by what's a sensor and whats an emitter, but what really matters is the math. Here are outside in systems, with the rays drawn centered on the trackers representing the measured angles:

Here is some Quest marketing material talking about Insight. Notice how the rays originate in the other direction.

WaterIsPoison is right, Constellation and Lighthouse are the same math essentially, and are both outside in. WMR-based headsets, Quest, and Rift S are inside out. Think of it in terms of effects like occlusion - the collection of possible rays forms a cone, and objects inside the cone will cast a 'shadow' that prevents tracking. In an outside-in system, the shadow from the object is on the side of the user (opposite of the base station or rift tracker), in an inside-out system it will be on the far side of the object from the user.

Delta-Wye fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Mar 31, 2019

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Delta-Wye posted:

Sorry! I was out enjoying the nice weather today and let a whole page of nonsense fester. Both Constellation and Lighthouse are basically measuring angles between known immobile points in space (tracking cameras and base stations) and points along a rigid object that is under motion, and then fitting a model of that object to the now known angles relative to the immobile points in space. Each pixel on a Oculus Rift tracking camera represents an angle measurement directly from the sensors POV, Lighthouse just uses some clever techniques to convert time measurements into angle measurements. Constellation can ID which tracking LED is lighting up a particular pixel, just like how Lighthouse knows when the laser curtain sweeps over a particular sensor and then converts that to an angle.

Ya'll are getting confused by what's a sensor and whats an emitter, but what really matters is the math. Here are outside in systems, with the rays drawn centered on the trackers representing the measured angles:

Here is some Quest marketing material talking about Insight. Notice how the rays originate in the other direction.

WaterIsPoison is right, Constellation and Lighthouse are the same math essentially, and are both outside in. WMR-based headsets, Quest, and Rift S are inside out. Think of it in terms of effects like occlusion - the collection of possible rays forms a cone, and objects inside the cone will cast a 'shadow' that prevents tracking. In an outside-in system, the shadow from the object is on the side of the user (opposite of the base station or rift tracker), in an inside-out system it will be on the far side of the object from the user.

Naw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Quest is outside in because photons from the light bulb in your room bounce off the walls and are picked up by the headset. All the rays originate from the lightbulb which is an external device. I can make up wacky rules all day, just like you.