Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Counterpoint: Texas has Lubbock in it.

You mean the birthplace of Buddy Holly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Counterpoint: Texas is full of Texans.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
The real issue is the non-Texans that move here.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Captain Monkey posted:

The real issue is the non-Texans that move here.
Are you 'gainst turnin the state a pretty blue?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
New Mexico is the best state. It's like texas but better in basically every way. Florida is close behind it.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Counterpoint: Texas has Lubbock in it.

holy poo poo that is a pointed attack rn

Grouchio posted:

It's not blue BECAUSE of the foreigners. See: Bush family, War Criminal Allen West, most of the white people in Austin, that foreigners voted for Ted and texans voted for Beto, etc, etc

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 03:30 on Jan 10, 2021

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Grouchio posted:

You have no idea what you're talking about lmao.

Texas would be blue if people stopped sending their rejects here - Bushes, Allen West, Cruz, etc.

edit: Yeah what the other texan said

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
The rejects come there for the Texas experience. Guns, big hats, racism, and poo poo. It's not like that reputation sprang from nothing.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Captain Monkey posted:

You have no idea what you're talking about lmao.

Texas would be blue if people stopped sending their rejects here - Bushes, Allen West, Cruz, etc.

edit: Yeah what the other texan said
I was talking more about Californians or fleeing Rustbelters populating Texas blue :shrug:

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Texas is amazing, love it to death, can't get enough of my beautiful state full of genuinely lovely people.

But have you guys been to motherfucking Florida? Everyone hates on it but it's delightful and the beaches, even the lovely swampy ones, are amazing. The people there are all batnuts crazy but you lean into it and suddenly you're just having a good time. I'd move back to Jacksonville right now if I could.

BORTLES!

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
As someone from the UK who will probably never visit America, the New England states sound the most appealing and California sounds awful

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Washington seems appealing to me because it apparently is always raining and damp there. And Minnesota obviously because it's cold and the people eat lots of cheese.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
i would like to do a 20 person AMA with a person from Washington State and a person from Washington DC and compare and contrast their answers

for some reason I suspect the DC person would be much more reserved and downbeat but also realistic about life

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

ive been to florida as a kid, it was okay, but i remember a shopkeeper got extremely angry at me for not calculating the value added tax on a small bag of potato chips i tried to buy because apparently the money on the price tag isnt what you actually pay at the register??

i have also been to south carolina, it was worse

if i had to live anywhere it'd be one of the depopulated states like montana or maine. hawaii seems fine

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

my father did not want to go to disneyworld because he thought disney was for degenerates. we went to cape canaveral instead

doverhog
May 31, 2013

JollyBoyJohn posted:

i would like to do a 20 person AMA with a person from Washington State and a person from Washington DC and compare and contrast their answers

for some reason I suspect the DC person would be much more reserved and downbeat but also realistic about life

I was definitely talking about the state, DC is a hot swamp. Most of the US is way too hot for me to ever wanna live there. We got some snow and temperatures around -10 C (14 F) and it's very nice.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I do not like weather much warmer than 20c (70f) which rules out most of America

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Grouchio posted:

If only Texas‐born Texans voted, Ted Cruz would have lost his Senate seat in 2018.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Shibawanko posted:

ive been to florida as a kid, it was okay, but i remember a shopkeeper got extremely angry at me for not calculating the value added tax on a small bag of potato chips i tried to buy because apparently the money on the price tag isnt what you actually pay at the register??

I cannot imagine the situation that led to this, on brand

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Shibawanko posted:

my father did not want to go to disneyworld because he thought disney was for degenerates. we went to cape canaveral instead

He wasn't wrong, except for animal kingdom and epcot. Magic kingdom just seemed kind of disappointing even as a kid (space mountain was kind of cool though). It's OK but islands of adventure just seems better in every way.

Cape canaveral is good, if only because you can buy astronaut ice cream there.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

yeah I eat rear end posted:

He wasn't wrong, except for animal kingdom and epcot. Magic kingdom just seemed kind of disappointing even as a kid (space mountain was kind of cool though). It's OK but islands of adventure just seems better in every way.

Cape canaveral is good, if only because you can buy astronaut ice cream there.

Disney World is so much better than Universal wtf

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I cannot imagine the situation that led to this, on brand

Probably brought cash but not enough to cover sales tax. Not unique to Florida.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Disney World is so much better than Universal wtf

Regular Universal is kinda lame but Islands of Adventure shreds.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Not including sales tax in the total price is ableist and I think it should be abandoned. I can't do basic loving math and you want me to figure out what the gently caress 107% of the printed price is before you tell me? No. I can't do that. STOP SIGHING AT ME AS I COUNT MY loving CORRECT CHANGE I DON'T UNDERSTAND YOUR MOON UNITS.

I shouldn't feel like crying everyday because the guys that created money didn't understand learning disorders.

fizzymercury has a new favorite as of 15:31 on Jan 10, 2021

doverhog
May 31, 2013

In glorious or at least cold Finland tax is always included in the display price. To do otherwise seems weird, but I read somewhere it's actually a political ploy to make people hate taxes and thus vote Trump.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Everywhere I know besides the US and Canada has sales tax included in the sticker price.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Everywhere I know besides the US and Canada has sales tax included in the sticker price.

Canada is surprising but obviously the USA does it because they literally have to do absolutely everything in the shittest way imaginable, and when you point that out a bunch of them always crawl out to try to excuse it with ludicrous arguments and/or try to put down the out-pointer all racism-like.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Canada is surprising but obviously the USA does it because they literally have to do absolutely everything in the shittest way imaginable, and when you point that out a bunch of them always crawl out to try to excuse it with ludicrous arguments and/or try to put down the out-pointer all racism-like.

Canada is exactly like the US but with healthcare, idk why people think it's anything else

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Canada is exactly like the US but with healthcare, idk why people think it's anything else

universally legal weed, nicer people, more charming tv shows, nice accents

the only thing canada does thats incredibly lame next to the USA (and most countries) is sport, who the gently caress cares about Canadian Football or Lacrosse lol

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The justification I've heard for why the US does this is that their sales tax laws can be pretty complicated.

Different states, cities, & counties levy different amounts of sales tax on different items.

In a place like the greater Philadelphia metropolitan area (this was fishmech's old example when this subject came up), which borders 3 different states with three very different sales tax laws and many different counties in like a 30 mile radius, it gets complicated. It would be hard to e.g. advertise sales prices with tax included in flyers & billboards. I guess putting them into the in-store stickers would not be meaningfully different from figuring it out at the register.

Not sure if the US' sales tax system is uniquely complicated/federalist or if other countries are similar.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The grass is always greener on the other side. I think this at least explains the thought process of the contingent of self-loathing left-wing Americans who fantasize about moving to Canada.

silence_kit has a new favorite as of 16:19 on Jan 10, 2021

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

JollyBoyJohn posted:

universally legal weed, nicer people, more charming tv shows, nice accents

I was talking about the whole country, not just Québec

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
https://twitter.com/annandvirk/status/1348281237371310086?s=21

Canada is bad.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Apparently it's not terrible?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqI2o3QXpHI&t=262s

e: But then you could make a really good cake with no catsup whatsoever, instead so

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

JollyBoyJohn posted:

the only thing canada does thats incredibly lame next to the USA (and most countries) is sport, who the gently caress cares about Canadian Football or Lacrosse lol

They're really good at hockey though, also known as the best sport.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I thought hockey was more the purview of the more Southernly and/or Easternly Commonwealth nations. The Canadians are pretty good at ice-hockey, though.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

3D Megadoodoo posted:

The Canadians are pretty good at ice-hockey, though.

That's the kind I was talking about.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
When I was in Canada in 2010, I noticed that buildings were not handicap accessible. It was even worse than the US’s poor attempt at accessibility.

But someone dropped a tray in Tim Hortons and a guy broke into song (O Canada) so Canada is a land of contrasts.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Joburg posted:

But someone dropped a tray in Tim Hortons and a guy broke into song (O Canada) so Canada is a land of contrasts.

Of course they did, a very patriotic thing for a Canadian happened: Someone was given an excuse to say sorry.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Joburg posted:

(O Canada)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f389hIxZAOc

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

:hai:

e: also I've heard serious football nerds, even from the US, argue that canadian football is the better, more competitive version of the sport. I have no idea what the differences between NFL and CFL rules are tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Fleeing to Canada once my country's government gets overrun is the only thing I'm looking forward to in 2021. Hopefully it'll be before the NHL playoffs start. Fingers crossed!