Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Jason Williams and Mahmoud Abdul Rauf on the same team is pretty incredible.

yep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

i will watch every minute of this those teams own and they own hard

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Glad the Clippers might finally break it up

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Also the 3 League is going to be incredible

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Dexo posted:

I'm all in on the 3 Headed monsters.

Still on team Iverson, thought I have no idea who any of the non-AI players are

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Isnt Mike Sweetney 400 pounds now?

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Spacebump posted:

He is playing with 3 future hall of famers, a future hall of fame coach, and a multiple time all star. Yes he is having a great year but he is hardly dragging the team to the playoffs.

Haha even thread vets get trolled by Bashez' subtle posting

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

No one picked Kendall Gill?

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Isnt Mike Sweetney 400 pounds now?

Awesome.

I wonder how close the closest person to Mike Sweetney was who thought he was dead and then remembered it was Robert Traylor.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

So there are going to be some changes this offseason for the Bulls. They are giving Paxson's brother more input. And Reinsdorf's moron kid is going to look at why their front office doesn't employ as many people as others.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/ct-bulls-front-office-changes-spt-0501-20170430-column.html

My favorite part about Paxson's brother.

quote:

Jim Paxson, the Bulls director of basketball operations and former Cavaliers general manager who drafted LeBron James, is an example of someone who could have an increased voice or role.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

I'm insanely hype for the big 3 and I'm gonna make a whole weekend of it when they come to charlotte

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
this rule is going to gently caress the ghost ballers

A technical foul results in 2 foul shots & the ball. Every technical foul after the first results in 4 foul shots & ball possession

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Still on team Iverson, thought I have no idea who any of the non-AI players are

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I will never understand how you can get that large playing full court basketball.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

EvanTH posted:

Haha even thread vets get trolled by Bashez' subtle posting

it keeps happening lol

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Niwrad posted:

Ahahah WOW WHAT A GENIUS btw does anyone know who is to blame for the Bennett pick?

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Five thirty eight updated their melo predictions today and bad news cav fans, both the celtics and raptors have a higher chance of winning the title

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2017-nba-predictions/

My first thought was that they need to update their models to account for shookness, but then I clicked on the "our methodology" page and... they actually did. They included a cold/hot streak thing last season that lowered GSW's chances from like ~75% down to ~50%

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Jim Paxson was one of the worst GMs in NBA history.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I saw those rosters and was going to post about all of them but then I saw Sweetney's name and just wanted to post about him and then I saw everyone else did and it made me happy because my internet pals know what's up

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Oakley listed as "player-coach" gonna get in there and throw some 'bows.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the fact that there is no hinrich/gordon/nocioni/brad miller team is profoundly disappointing.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Niwrad posted:

So there are going to be some changes this offseason for the Bulls. They are giving Paxson's brother more input. And Reinsdorf's moron kid is going to look at why their front office doesn't employ as many people as others.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/ct-bulls-front-office-changes-spt-0501-20170430-column.html

I hate this loving organization.

At least Bears incompetence usually ends in people getting fired even though the people the McCaskey's are gonna bring in next are likely just as incompetent.

But at least there's accountability up to right before the owners.

This dumb Org doesn't even have that.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Garbajosa, Calderon , Jamario Moon, Bargnani, and Anthony Parker player coach

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

I think Jamario Moon's NBA career highlight was a rebound

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XT8xplDccE

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Niwrad posted:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2009-05-21/sports/0905200981_1_berto-center-bulls-organization-jim-paxson

quote:

When the Bulls finally make official the promotion of Gar Forman to general manager at a Thursday morning news conference, the announcement will cap a long journey of obscurity and anonymity for the team's former director of player personnel.

Originally hired as a scout by Jerry Krause in 1998, Forman came to the Bulls with Tim Floyd from Iowa State and also recruited or coached at outposts such as New Mexico State, Cal Poly Pomona and College of the Desert in California.

This path contrasts sharply with the very public and prominent role John Paxson always has held within the Bulls' organization -- first as a beloved player, then as a lauded broadcaster and finally as the executive vice president of basketball operations.

But truth be told, the two have shared a close working relationship since Paxson succeeded Krause in April 2003. And even with Forman's promotion, Paxson will keep his title.

Indeed, little will change in the Bulls' decision-making hierarchy other than Forman's title. Forman will continue to report to Paxson, who still will oversee all basketball operational decisions while working in concert with Forman and behind-the-scenes executives like Jim Paxson, Jay Hillock, Ivica Dukan and Matt Lloyd.

The working arrangement is common in NBA front offices. It's possible the Bulls will make an additional front-office hire in advance of a typically busy summer.

Forman served as the lead negotiator last summer when the Bulls succeeded in extending the contract of Luol Deng but stalemated for the second straight offseason on one for Ben Gordon. And Forman will jump into his expanded role with Gordon now an unrestricted free agent as of July 1 and other pressing issues facing the organization.

It's also almost certain the Bulls' coaching staff will undergo a small makeover. Pete Myers' contract is up and his future role is uncertain.

Forman's expanded role was first reported in February, when erroneous reports of Paxson resigning surfaced over the All-Star weekend. Paxson has soured on some aspects of the job such as dealing with player agents and traveling to scout.

Paxson also likely will be less high-profile moving forward. It's Forman's turn for the spotlight Thursday.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

article million about how the rockets are changing the nba or whatever but this one had some interesting stuff https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-houston-rockets-shoot-long-3-pointers-from-outer-space-1493563578

quote:

NBA teams got as close to that line as they could. The Rockets went the opposite way.

They were the only team to hit more of those threes this season from outside 25 feet than inside 25 feet. They also depended on those shots. The league attempted 11% of its field goals from beyond 25 feet. That number for the Rockets was an NBA-record 23%.

Houston’s expected value from threes exceeded one point all the way out to 30 feet, according to the SportVU data.

Over the course of the season, they slowly recognized that range no longer seemed to matter, and their coach started encouraging the Rockets to ignore the 3-point line and launch from remote areas.

Houston shot 35.8% on threes inside 25 feet, excluding the shorter corner three, but 36.2% between 26 and 30 feet. The rest of the NBA shot 37.6% on close threes and 33.6% on deep threes. The Rockets also took 14% more threes than the league average inside 25 feet—and 122% more outside 25 feet.

But the plan to experiment with longer 3-pointers came from the players themselves. And even they’re not quite sure why. “It just kind of happened,” Anderson said.

All the 3s.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

that sure seems sustainable

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Ghost Dog posted:

To who do you align with in the big 3

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

the killer 3's cause of larry hughes, member of the first big 3 involving lebron james

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Ghost Dog posted:

It was pretty sustainable for 82 games + the first round so

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
on the other hand, taking shots within 25 feet is for lame old man teams like the spurs who will probably advance

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
So apparently big 3 is airing on Fox Sports, everyone buy a cable subscription and then watch it so it can be financially successful

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I feel like Ricky Davis would want me to illegally stream it...

AI wants me to watch it at an Applebees.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
On one hand, the Killer 3s - what a great name. As a die hard kings fan, the Ghost Ballers logo speaks to me (plus Bibby, duh). But also, Jason Williams - he is absolutely going to crush in this format. I'm torn! And I'm happy about it!

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
I will one hundred percent purchase a Jason Williams 3 Headed Monsters jersey

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I hope the big 3 becomes an unexpected ratings monster and rivals hockey as the 5th sport in america

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Dexo posted:

I'm all in on the 3 Headed monsters.

This is loving awesome. How many men's balls will Reggie be crushing? Also needs more Mo3 Pete

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Lockback posted:

What do people think of this Wizards/Boston matchup? I originally had Boston with a solid edge but now I don't know. Horford has been quietly balling out, but the guard/Wing play of the Wizards is a more consistent version of what was working for the Bulls.

BOS has HCA and also the high WS/48 guy. Now they have the lead so they're definitely the favorites.

I remember when everyone was taking massive dumps on Vinny Del Negro and then all that was going to be fixed by Doc Rivers.

Game six two years ago where they finished the last fifteen minutes being outscored 20-51. That was their golden opportunity: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fvex-Puxp_0

EvanTH posted:

My first thought was that they need to update their models to account for shookness, but then I clicked on the "our methodology" page and... they actually did. They included a cold/hot streak thing last season that lowered GSW's chances from like ~75% down to ~50%

The issue is that these models can't account for LBJ coasting. Not that it matters much this year.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

the_american_dream posted:

that dad is insufferable asf.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6XljgqShhA

Dexo posted:

I can't wait for Chris Paul and Carmelo to somehow end up on the Bulls this offseason.

The amount of fake Carmelo Bulls pictures from a few years back was impressive:

Lockback posted:

It was pretty sustainable for 82 games + the first round so

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAhwV-8rpw4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Zogo posted:

The amount of fake Carmelo Bulls pictures from a few years back was impressive:

good god...five alphas

• Locked thread