Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Dang, ok. The gym owner is one of those high level lifetime refs (I forget the terminology, she had to go off and do the testing certification), so she'd probably have corrected me. Sounds like baseball bat choke is the way to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jack B Nimble posted:

I'm being asked to show a Jiu Jitsu ground technique once a week when I visit Judo class, which is touching. I was wondering, do lasso sweep off a guard pass and baseball bat choke seem legal/reasonable for Judo? With the lasso sweep you have to clear the arm or you'll accidentally bicep slicer them after the sweep, baseball batt seems fine to me and it's a little sneaky.

Canto choke everyday, all day.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Just got back from a "lapel guard for white belts" seminar run by Nikki Lloyd-Griffiths that was a lot of fun. Starting from closed guard with a bit of tactical undressing and then when they stand up doing a transition to de la riva worm guard and back take or squid guard and sweep. I dunno that I'll have the composure to hit the full sequence in rolling/comp but definitely going to try adding them to my bag of tricks.

Edit: remembered what the first guard was called

whats for dinner fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Oct 15, 2022

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Mikey Musumesci is coming to Korea and I could go up to Seoul for the three days of seminars he's doing.

:staredog:

Edit - Nevermind, its in a far off suburb of Seoul that is gonna be a huge ballache to get to from where the train station is. One of Yuns' old training partners and a guy he mentioned in the past named Robert Degle is coming in December as well so I'll just go to that one to learn me some leg locks more good.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Oct 15, 2022

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Question for you guys: How do you deal with gym drama? We currently have some people in our gym that are not entirely serious about training and one person in particular seems to be causing issues with female/male dynamics via their sex. Coach is completely oblivious/ Doesnt seem to care.

Advice?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Coach is completely oblivious/ Doesnt seem to care.

Advice?

:siren:Coach is completely oblivious/ Doesnt seem to care. :siren:

If you can't talk to your coach and get them to care, or the people involved and get them to care/stop, that's it.

If your coach doesn't care if/when multiple people, say, stay after class to bring it up as a group, then, I mean, you need a new gym? Not trying to sound like a hard ball rear end in a top hat it's just...I don't think there's any other solution than talking about it and making sure coach / the people know you think it's a problem.

Edit - We have a boy and a girl, teenagers, that constantly poo poo up our adult classes by being terrible, not learning, rolling too rough, and mistaking mercy from colored belts with a fifty pounds on them for weakness. But coach is also constantly on the fence about kicking them out and every adult knows about it. If coach thought they were fine/didn't think there was a problem it'd be a big deal I'd be mad, instead they're just our burden to bear (I hope / like to think Jiu Jitsu is improving them... slowly)

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Oct 19, 2022

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
Hard to say. Maybe your coach hasn't seen the more egregious examples firsthand, maybe they have a more laissez-faire attitude to policing personality conflicts on the mat, maybe they think that's too thorny of an issue to get involved with personally 'cause the sort of person who does that is likely to retaliate... who knows.

As far as people not taking training seriously, some light ribbing goes a long way. White belts next to you have stopped drilling and are just kind of sitting around not doing anything? "Whoa, you guys mastered that move already? I'm a purple belt and I'm still over here struggling!"

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
People are paying to train their way, I'm not sure what "not entirely serious" means exactly, but if they're not making GBS threads up a competition class I'm not sure why it's a problem. As for sex drama, maybe if I was the head coach I would mention something if it really gets out of hand, but maybe they don't think it's gotten to that point yet? I assume they're adults so it's not really anyone else's business unless someone's being an unwanted creep.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Dear grapple thread, I dont think there is anything more miserable than the second round of ten minute rounds in no-gi with standup allowed and everyones putting in work.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Jack B Nimble posted:

:siren:Coach is completely oblivious/ Doesnt seem to care. :siren:

If you can't talk to your coach and get them to care, or the people involved and get them to care/stop, that's it.

Im at the point now in my jiu jitsu journey that I really dont care and I try to just get in the training and leave. But like for example, the other night said female poo poo starter came into class wearing no bra under her gi, tits flapping all over the place (like literally coming out of her gi) and a pussy that had, I kid you not, not been washed in over a week. It was so bad I just decided to keep her in open guard the whole guard passing session at a distance. I actually was shocked he didnt say anything to her. I try talking to my professor about these issues, but again oblivious.

Im just confused...

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Dear God, that's disgusting. We had a 14 year old guy that hadn't learned that his changing body stinks if he exercises at school and comes to the gym, and I had to pull him and aside and gently point out he's going to have to start showering between school and Jiujitsu.

I don't think I could have / would have kept rolling with this lady, and I'd have told her it was because she stinks? I don't mean to trivialize it and say "I would simply" but hoooly poo poo, it sounds rancid.

Edit - well maybe I'm over estimating how bad it was. Sometimes you don't really know they stink until they're on you

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Jack B Nimble posted:

Dear God, that's disgusting. We had a 14 year old guy that hadn't learned that his changing body stinks if he exercises at school and comes to the gym, and I had to pull him and aside and gently point out he's going to have to start showering between school and Jiujitsu.

I don't think I could have / would have kept rolling with this lady, and I'd have told her it was because she stinks? I don't mean to trivialize it and say "I would simply" but hoooly poo poo, it sounds rancid.

Edit - well maybe I'm over estimating how bad it was. Sometimes you don't really know they stink until they're on you

I tried to keep her as far away from me as I could.

The thing that bothers me about this stuff is not so much that he doesnt address the offender, but he ignores the rest of the class by not addressing it. It takes the joy out of coming into class. At least address this type of stuff for the people that are there for the right reasons.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Im at the point now in my jiu jitsu journey that I really dont care and I try to just get in the training and leave. But like for example, the other night said female poo poo starter came into class wearing no bra under her gi, tits flapping all over the place (like literally coming out of her gi) and a pussy that had, I kid you not, not been washed in over a week. It was so bad I just decided to keep her in open guard the whole guard passing session at a distance. I actually was shocked he didnt say anything to her. I try talking to my professor about these issues, but again oblivious.

Im just confused...

"today we're going to be working on north-south pins..."

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Im at the point now in my jiu jitsu journey that I really dont care and I try to just get in the training and leave. But like for example, the other night said female poo poo starter came into class wearing no bra under her gi, tits flapping all over the place (like literally coming out of her gi)

I'm really happy for my gyms 'rash guards are compulsory for all classes (aside from comp class the week before comp)' rule.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Im just confused...

I have reread this four times and honestly can’t tell if it is a serious post or a poo poo post

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

butros posted:

I have reread this four times and honestly can’t tell if it is a serious post or a poo poo post

I wish it was but its not a poo poo post unfortunately. After doing this for over 7 years I've basically seen it all at this point.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Hygiene issues happen and need to be dealt with but a woman not wearing any kind of top under the gi is just wild, never seen that one before lol

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Yeah I do NOT understand why you wouldn't want some protection for your boobs and nipples under a grappling gi top!!! Honestly the hygiene/smell makes me suspect some other issue(s) may be at play (hygiene makes me suspect depression first, but also things like laundry access, or housing / money / medical stuff) -- I'm getting pretty far afield of discussing grappling at this point so I hope she can get what support she needs, and also mb mature a bit or otherwise learn to not start poo poo w/ people. (These all may be causally related too!!)

Grappling itself is cool too tho

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Okay, yeah, I think you're right that the head coach isn't doing enough. That doesn't sound right.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Grace Baiting posted:

hygiene makes me suspect depression first

This is definitely part of the problem I believe. I also dont believe that the mat is a good alternative for people getting help. I had a friend that I trained with that I had 0 clue he was going through depression and he ended up offing himself :(

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

This is definitely part of the problem I believe. I also dont believe that the mat is a good alternative for people getting help. I had a friend that I trained with that I had 0 clue he was going through depression and he ended up offing himself :(

I am so so sorry about that, I know that's fucken rough   :(

I'll just leave a general plug to get therapy (good ol' :therapy: emoticon!) for most everyone, if your living situation can at all allow + afford it — grappling can and should be super fun and great, but also is definitely not a substitute for therapy w/ a good therapist who you click with. #BothAnd

(I imagine that most of y'all other grapple goons understand this already, but still!)

Good luck with the gym situation and to the kid you've been talking about too, Tacos Al Pastor.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
Sensei: [something about those bursts of energy when you feel like you're 20 again]

15-year-old: I definitely know what you mean. My dad walks all hunched over. He's like 40.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Im just confused...

what in the gently caress

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Mekchu posted:

what in the gently caress

I dont even know what to say to some people anymore, Im embarrased for them.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

Signed up for nogi worlds Masters 202. Haven't competed since 2019. Here goes nothing.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Do you guys feel that when someone is body lock passing you, that it is a great time to try to enter into Williams/shoulder pin guard? The overhook is right there, you just kinda need to get your hips out and cut an angle and keep your far leg from getting stepped over into half guard.

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC

Pron on VHS posted:

Do you guys feel that when someone is body lock passing you, that it is a great time to try to enter into Williams/shoulder pin guard? The overhook is right there, you just kinda need to get your hips out and cut an angle and keep your far leg from getting stepped over into half guard.

This and other variations of rubber/high guard often get attempted on me. The real battle in this situation is them posting my head away because if I can keep it against their chest I can generally flatten the hips/back out to where they can't get the top leg in position. Then because I'm generally attempting to drag the bottom leg towards me as I flatten them out, I have space to step over and hip switch for the pass.

As far as the overhook is concerned, they should have their arms elbows so sucked in to their sides that there's no gap to grab either an over or underhook. That's one of the requirements of the pass, as far as I know it.

FiestaDePantalones fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Oct 25, 2022

Pyle
Feb 18, 2007

Tenno Heika Banzai
I was about to write on my weekend's competition journey. Except I won't. I didn't go anywhere near the competition. Writing this irritates me more than any result I could have achieved last Saturday. Two weeks earlier, my lower back started aching and gradually the pain grew and I have been unable to train. I've been actively avoiding tatami and I am slowly getting better. Maybe? But, anyway this situation is frustrating. This back pain just comes and goes with irregular intervals and nothing seems to help. Other grappling goons with lower back pain problems?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Pyle posted:

Other grappling goons with lower back pain problems?

yeah mate, constantly

I destroyed some lumbar discs by landing hard on one leg jumping over a fence when I was about 20. I've never done enough strengthening to stop it constantly aching since I restarted doing bjj the last 5 years. When I first restarted my back spasmed so hard I couldn't walk without a cane for 9 weeks.

My physical conditioning is a lot better now, and I'm more aware of the warning signs that my back is getting that bad again and I can just chill more on the mats, but it's still always there waiting to debilitate me again.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Halloween --- Dressing up in a funny outfit and pretending to be scary --- grappling

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Can anyone recommend a good video on BJJ Fanatics for leglock defense? It seems like all videos on this subject are about offense.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
I mean it makes sense there are no known defences to leg locks.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Can anyone recommend a good video on BJJ Fanatics for leglock defense? It seems like all videos on this subject are about offense.

It’s expensive but Danahers new wave submission escapes is top notch. Doesn’t just cover fundamental defense (hiding heel, turning in right direction, slipping knee out) but also counter attacking. Eg he shows a nice Aoki lock counter to standard ashi, etc. He also talks about how leglock defense has evolved over last decade, and how it went from “spinning/turning faster than your opponents breaking forces while your heel is caught” to “first heel slipping and then spinning in the opposite direction into the break”

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Pron on VHS posted:

It’s expensive but Danahers new wave submission escapes is top notch. Doesn’t just cover fundamental defense (hiding heel, turning in right direction, slipping knee out) but also counter attacking. Eg he shows a nice Aoki lock counter to standard ashi, etc. He also talks about how leglock defense has evolved over last decade, and how it went from “spinning/turning faster than your opponents breaking forces while your heel is caught” to “first heel slipping and then spinning in the opposite direction into the break”

Thanks for this. I've had an eye on this video for a while now but didnt know it covered leg locks too.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
It’s the last 3 sections. He mainly covers heel hooks, I haven’t watched all of it but toehold/kneebar/ankle lock defense may be a bit lacking. I’ll finish it by the end of this week and will report back

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Pron on VHS posted:

It’s the last 3 sections. He mainly covers heel hooks, I haven’t watched all of it but toehold/kneebar/ankle lock defense may be a bit lacking. I’ll finish it by the end of this week and will report back

Yeah a video that covered everything would be amazing. I feel like this stuff isnt taught either very well, or at all in traditional old school jiu jitsu gyms.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
I went to a camp / retreat thing last week in spain. Wrote up a little review I thought i would share:

Mallorca BJJ and Yoga Festival Review (https://www.mallorcabjjyogafest.com)

Last week I attended a 5 day BJJ and Yoga retreat on the island of Mallorca in Spain. I would consider it at the high end of quality in terms of these type of events. The venue was a beautiful resort on the coast with a pool, sea access, and a beautiful garden and space to relax as well as eat food and drink cocktails. Thinking about this event I don’t think it’s right to call it a camp so much as a luxury holiday where you can also do activities in a beautiful location.

For my part of the trip the focus was clearly on the BJJ side so I’ll focus on that and at the end give some passing comments on what I saw of the other activities.

There were 6 absolute top tier instructors that were scheduled to present for the BJJ portion of the festival (unfortunately cut to 5 at the last minute due to illness) with each doing 1.5 hours of instruction each day with 3 open mats sandwiched somewhere in there as well. You could literally do bjj from before the sun came up to when it went down if you wanted to. Most days I tried to hit 4 sessions of activity - and TBH I only hit 2 open mats instead deciding to focus on the instruction side. Between the classes I would swim in the ocean, go for a walk to get food, drink a cocktail by the pool, or something like that.

So who were the instructors and what did they teach?

Mauricio Gomes
Fundamental and Timeless Jiu-Jitsu. These classes didn’t cover anything new or flashy for me. It was all fundamentales but tweaked to the highest level. I attended 3 of the classes and enjoyed every one. Each class I got a few really fundamental game changing, yet simple, insights into jiu jitsu. I felt that these classes were perfect for refining and improving the base game of anyone that does BJJ. There seemed to be tweaks and refinements here for even the seasoned black belts I talked to afterwards. I would happily attend any seminar given by this instructor again and feel that everything taught here is instantly applicable to my current Jiu Jitsu.

Daniel Strauss
4 part (6hr) guillotine seminar. This was a really deep dive into the control position with a lot of really specific and nuanced instruction. Dan gave a series that wasn’t so much about ‘how to do the move’ but a deep breakdown of the position and the mechanics, how to adapt them, and how to debug when things are not working. Basically the ‘teach a person to fish’ approach. I feel like from this I’ll be able to rapidly start developing a strong guillotine with a couple of great finishing mechanics (high elbow or thrust) and some positional variations. The takeaway for me here isn’t directly applicable to my game as I never get good entries to the position currently - but it’s given me the knowledge I need to actually start trying. Ask me in 6 months how I'm going with the guillotine - I think it will be pretty good then. If Dan comes to visit your area I would strongly recommend signing up for a seminar, he gives really great instruction and guidance.

Lilo Asensi
Lilo gave a great series on some dynamic, but yet fundamental Jiu Jitsu. I only had the opportunity to attend two of her classes but they were on open guard and open guard transitions. In the classes I attended she showed some really nice collar sleeve mechanics and half guard sweeps. The things she taught were things that for half I can plug right into my game, and for the other half will need to do a lot of drilling on. She was a clear instructor and I think that her approach is similar to Mauricio’s - just with moves that are much more dynamic.

Ross Nicholls
Ross’ classes were split into two themes, the first was turtle escape / reverse underhook, and the second was leg locks. I really enjoyed his teaching style and it was a nice mix between mechanical explanation, practical application, and move sequences that live within the same area of the sport. The class I enjoyed most (of all the instructors) was the class on reverse underhook usage (octopus guard), it covered some sweeps, backtakes, and some fundamentals of the position. For me I feel this was an eye opening position to move into - I play a lot of bottom half guard and often have the near side locked down, being able to go to the far side seems like a really good option to have. Ross was really attentive during all the classes and came around and gave really good adjustments and tweaks. The leg locks portion was also really well delivered - i’m not a leglocker but there were some really nice entries to heel hooks and saddle position as well as some great straight ankle lock advice. Talking with the more experienced leg lockers they got a lot out of it and were really happy with the presentation.

Clark Gracie
I only made it to one of Clark’s classes which was on a transitional position sequence to move through. I think for me it is not directly useful but is a really nice partner drill that I can take back to the gym and work with my teammates on to help nail down good transitions. Because I only attended one class (it was the first of the week and it was over crowded) I don’t have much to add on the teaching style or similar, I think I would need to attend more of his classes to give good feedback.

Now onto the yoga side of the festival.
There were a lot of activities available with some well known instructors that ranged from yoga, to headstands, to cacao ceremonies, to relaxing meditation. There were even a number of even deeper alternative practices like tarot and similar. Not all of this is my cup of tea but all the people that I spoke to that enjoy these practices had a wonderful time and were really impressed and happy to have done them.

Final Thoughts
My partner and I have already decided to attend again next year. The quality and quantity of the classes was amazing and the location breathtaking. It was a great opportunity to have a luxury vacation on an island in spain and get some of the best instruction I've seen. Everyone I met there was really nice and great to talk with. All of the instructors were super friendly and were more than happy just enjoying the festival and attending each other's classes and other types of classes to try new things too. Joe, the main organizer, should be really proud of what he’s created, he’s done a fantastic job. I would unreservedly recommend this event.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
We had our yearly Halloween roll last night, in disposable street clothes. Some highlights:

My shirt sleeve button down tore apart this time, I didn't expect that. Most of the shirts just stretch. I loop choked my opponent with the remnants. Later, I took my belt off and tried the same thing on my coach; she got it away from me, hog tied my wrists with it, and then Ezekieled me.

I had a foam knife in my front pocket and the black belt I was rolling with saw me trying to get it out and then spent the whole role absolutely dominating that hand and side with pressure and grips. Extremely tiring and I never even came close to getting it out.

Someone tried the "slap the gun with both hands" thing they were taught in the army, absolutely does not work.

I think Judo grips actually work BETTER on a collared dress shirt than a gi because you get the back of the shirt bunched up under your hand and it's the best handle I've ever had while grappling; I kept it long after I would have abandoned a collar gi grio because it gave so much leverage. It's like, imagine if someone's gi had a strap or handle on it like the top of a backpack, it's nuts.

Oh, some more serious tips, if you want to try this yourself:

Whoever is defending against the knife or gun is "the good guy" and cannot lose. I don't care how much you get stabbed, don't stop.

If you're the knife holder, resist the temptation to switch hands - it never happens in real life. Death grip the knife and resist until your opponent strips the knife.

Stripping the knife is trivial if you get any old wrist lock or figure four grip. So, we're already really good at that! Use that!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

stramit posted:

I went to a camp / retreat thing last week in spain. Wrote up a little review I thought i would share:

Mallorca BJJ and Yoga Festival Review (https://www.mallorcabjjyogafest.com)

Last week I attended a 5 day BJJ and Yoga retreat on the island of Mallorca in Spain. I would consider it at the high end of quality in terms of these type of events. The venue was a beautiful resort on the coast with a pool, sea access, and a beautiful garden and space to relax as well as eat food and drink cocktails. Thinking about this event I don’t think it’s right to call it a camp so much as a luxury holiday where you can also do activities in a beautiful location.

For my part of the trip the focus was clearly on the BJJ side so I’ll focus on that and at the end give some passing comments on what I saw of the other activities.

There were 6 absolute top tier instructors that were scheduled to present for the BJJ portion of the festival (unfortunately cut to 5 at the last minute due to illness) with each doing 1.5 hours of instruction each day with 3 open mats sandwiched somewhere in there as well. You could literally do bjj from before the sun came up to when it went down if you wanted to. Most days I tried to hit 4 sessions of activity - and TBH I only hit 2 open mats instead deciding to focus on the instruction side. Between the classes I would swim in the ocean, go for a walk to get food, drink a cocktail by the pool, or something like that.

So who were the instructors and what did they teach?

Mauricio Gomes
Fundamental and Timeless Jiu-Jitsu. These classes didn’t cover anything new or flashy for me. It was all fundamentales but tweaked to the highest level. I attended 3 of the classes and enjoyed every one. Each class I got a few really fundamental game changing, yet simple, insights into jiu jitsu. I felt that these classes were perfect for refining and improving the base game of anyone that does BJJ. There seemed to be tweaks and refinements here for even the seasoned black belts I talked to afterwards. I would happily attend any seminar given by this instructor again and feel that everything taught here is instantly applicable to my current Jiu Jitsu.

Daniel Strauss
4 part (6hr) guillotine seminar. This was a really deep dive into the control position with a lot of really specific and nuanced instruction. Dan gave a series that wasn’t so much about ‘how to do the move’ but a deep breakdown of the position and the mechanics, how to adapt them, and how to debug when things are not working. Basically the ‘teach a person to fish’ approach. I feel like from this I’ll be able to rapidly start developing a strong guillotine with a couple of great finishing mechanics (high elbow or thrust) and some positional variations. The takeaway for me here isn’t directly applicable to my game as I never get good entries to the position currently - but it’s given me the knowledge I need to actually start trying. Ask me in 6 months how I'm going with the guillotine - I think it will be pretty good then. If Dan comes to visit your area I would strongly recommend signing up for a seminar, he gives really great instruction and guidance.

Lilo Asensi
Lilo gave a great series on some dynamic, but yet fundamental Jiu Jitsu. I only had the opportunity to attend two of her classes but they were on open guard and open guard transitions. In the classes I attended she showed some really nice collar sleeve mechanics and half guard sweeps. The things she taught were things that for half I can plug right into my game, and for the other half will need to do a lot of drilling on. She was a clear instructor and I think that her approach is similar to Mauricio’s - just with moves that are much more dynamic.

Ross Nicholls
Ross’ classes were split into two themes, the first was turtle escape / reverse underhook, and the second was leg locks. I really enjoyed his teaching style and it was a nice mix between mechanical explanation, practical application, and move sequences that live within the same area of the sport. The class I enjoyed most (of all the instructors) was the class on reverse underhook usage (octopus guard), it covered some sweeps, backtakes, and some fundamentals of the position. For me I feel this was an eye opening position to move into - I play a lot of bottom half guard and often have the near side locked down, being able to go to the far side seems like a really good option to have. Ross was really attentive during all the classes and came around and gave really good adjustments and tweaks. The leg locks portion was also really well delivered - i’m not a leglocker but there were some really nice entries to heel hooks and saddle position as well as some great straight ankle lock advice. Talking with the more experienced leg lockers they got a lot out of it and were really happy with the presentation.

Clark Gracie
I only made it to one of Clark’s classes which was on a transitional position sequence to move through. I think for me it is not directly useful but is a really nice partner drill that I can take back to the gym and work with my teammates on to help nail down good transitions. Because I only attended one class (it was the first of the week and it was over crowded) I don’t have much to add on the teaching style or similar, I think I would need to attend more of his classes to give good feedback.

Now onto the yoga side of the festival.
There were a lot of activities available with some well known instructors that ranged from yoga, to headstands, to cacao ceremonies, to relaxing meditation. There were even a number of even deeper alternative practices like tarot and similar. Not all of this is my cup of tea but all the people that I spoke to that enjoy these practices had a wonderful time and were really impressed and happy to have done them.

Final Thoughts
My partner and I have already decided to attend again next year. The quality and quantity of the classes was amazing and the location breathtaking. It was a great opportunity to have a luxury vacation on an island in spain and get some of the best instruction I've seen. Everyone I met there was really nice and great to talk with. All of the instructors were super friendly and were more than happy just enjoying the festival and attending each other's classes and other types of classes to try new things too. Joe, the main organizer, should be really proud of what he’s created, he’s done a fantastic job. I would unreservedly recommend this event.

sounds fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Jack B Nimble posted:

We had our yearly Halloween roll last night, in disposable street clothes. Some highlights:

My shirt sleeve button down tore apart this time, I didn't expect that. Most of the shirts just stretch. I loop choked my opponent with the remnants. Later, I took my belt off and tried the same thing on my coach; she got it away from me, hog tied my wrists with it, and then Ezekieled me.

I had a foam knife in my front pocket and the black belt I was rolling with saw me trying to get it out and then spent the whole role absolutely dominating that hand and side with pressure and grips. Extremely tiring and I never even came close to getting it out.

Someone tried the "slap the gun with both hands" thing they were taught in the army, absolutely does not work.

I think Judo grips actually work BETTER on a collared dress shirt than a gi because you get the back of the shirt bunched up under your hand and it's the best handle I've ever had while grappling; I kept it long after I would have abandoned a collar gi grio because it gave so much leverage. It's like, imagine if someone's gi had a strap or handle on it like the top of a backpack, it's nuts.

Oh, some more serious tips, if you want to try this yourself:

Whoever is defending against the knife or gun is "the good guy" and cannot lose. I don't care how much you get stabbed, don't stop.

If you're the knife holder, resist the temptation to switch hands - it never happens in real life. Death grip the knife and resist until your opponent strips the knife.

Stripping the knife is trivial if you get any old wrist lock or figure four grip. So, we're already really good at that! Use that!

Sounds like a blast.

Why is it bad to switch grips with the knife? In a grappling situation where everyone is trying to control the knife it sounds useful.