Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Hazo posted:

Harmonious seemed just fine :shrug:

source your quotes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
better than the new MK show

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

April 3rd Happily Ever After returns to MK

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

alg posted:

source your quotes

Me. I loved IllumiNations but Harmonious is trying something different and does an okay job at it-- unlike MK's Enchantment where it's the same format as its predecessor but jarringly worse in almost every way (almost because Bald Mountain rules).

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Hell yeah

https://www.wdwmagic.com/resorts/wa...sort-hotels.htm

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Probably the dumbest change, just behind getting rid of magical express.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

anybody else figure we get AP open before the end of the week?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
More things too.

quote:

Happy New Year from Walt Disney World Resort!
2023 brings so much to look forward to for Walt Disney World guests and our Passholder community! Today, we're also excited to share a few updates we’re making to improve your experience and show some of our biggest fans that we are listening to your feedback.

Walt Disney World Annual Passholders: Park reservation requirements will be relaxed for visits after 2 p.m.

While the theme park reservation system remains important to manage attendance in our parks, especially on busier days, we have heard our Passholders tell us that they would like to enjoy more spontaneous visits. Beginning in the next few months, Walt Disney World Annual Passholders will be able to visit our theme parks after 2 p.m. without needing to make a park reservation, except on Saturdays and Sundays at Magic Kingdom Park. Pass blockout dates will continue to apply like they do today.
We also know that Passholders enjoy capturing memories in new and unique ways. Coming soon, Passholders with a My Disney Experience account will receive access to Disney PhotoPass lenses and one complimentary Cinderella Castle Mural of Memories experience (age restrictions apply).
We look forward to sharing more details and launch dates in the coming months on these upcoming Passholder offerings, as well as information about a new offering that is planned where you can create and share short Disney-themed video slideshows with favorite photos from your theme park visits.
As always, access to the theme parks is subject to capacity limitations and all offerings are subject to change or cancellation without notice. Visit Disney PhotoPass Lenses and Cinderella Castle Mural of Memories for details, restrictions and other information.

Enjoy complimentary self-parking when staying at a Disney Resort hotel 

Beginning this evening, Jan. 10, overnight self-parking will once again be offered complimentary to guests staying at Disney Resort hotels at Walt Disney World. This is a Disney difference many of you have asked us to bring back, and we’re happy to reintroduce it to make your vacation a little easier and more affordable – whether you’re road tripping across the country, renting a car or vacationing as a local Florida resident. As a reminder, Disney Resort hotel guests also continue to receive complimentary standard parking at Walt Disney World theme parks, daily early theme park entry (with valid admission and a park reservation) and complimentary on-site transportation options such as buses, monorails and Disney Skyliner.

Attraction photo downloads will be included with Disney Genie+ Service

Attraction photos are taken while in the parks at more than a dozen of our most popular attractions including Space Mountain, Slinky Dog Dash, Test Track, Expedition Everest and more. This fan favorite will be a great way for Walt Disney World guests using the Disney Genie+ Service to commemorate and celebrate park visits together. We look forward to sharing more on this great addition. Disney PhotoPass terms and conditions and expiration policy apply.
Please know we will keep listening to you and adapting as we focus on making the guest experience even better for more people who visit us here at The Most Magical Place on Earth.
We hope these updates make your next visit more convenient and enjoyable so you can focus on making the special kind of Disney magic that is just for Passholders.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

anybody else figure we get AP open before the end of the week?

One can dream

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

So PhotoPass isn't already part of paying for Genie+ at WDW like it is at DLR?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Fartington Butts posted:

So PhotoPass isn't already part of paying for Genie+ at WDW like it is at DLR?

It is not. You can get all the photos you want but you gotta pay for them. You can do per photo, or get the Memory Maker which is not cheap. However, if you're doing a long stay and/or have a lot of people with you, it's not a bad deal all things considered. Too bad they aren't including the photos from CMs in that.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

I know it's a little thing but I'm actually pretty happy with them eliminating the parking fee. It was honestly a substantial pain point for me and my personal trips. It was a small fee that added up.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
lol you know Disney was in trouble and in a bad placce vs universal and Epic Worlds if they're doing these things

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Braksgirl posted:

I know it's a little thing but I'm actually pretty happy with them eliminating the parking fee. It was honestly a substantial pain point for me and my personal trips. It was a small fee that added up.

I'm so broken medically that I get it waived but I'm very glad to see it go just in case I ever got a cast member who thinks I'm *not* as broken as I am.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

worms butthole guy posted:

lol you know Disney was in trouble and in a bad placce vs universal and Epic Worlds if they're doing these things

I think you're failing to grasp that the only thing that can affect crowds at Disney at this point is catastrophic economic downturn, and even then that's debatable.

They could add a complimentary spit in the face by a CM everytime you scan into MK and people would still be lining up to get in.

I wish epic universe could steal some crowds so I could have a more manageable trip one of these days.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
On an average day, the Magic Kingdom alone sees more guests than all of Universal Orlando.

For the last half-decade, Disney has almost seemed to be doing an experiment on how much they could take away from the guest experience while not lowering/still raising prices without their reputation faltering. They finally did find the breaking point and are correcting course. But they are still in no danger of Universal dethroning them, and Epic Universe won't do it either.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
Disney Parks would have a long way to fall for Universal to win out. They're losing ground A LITTLE yes, but nothing that can't even be just park attrition. Most will find that Universal is a pleasant surprise if they like the franchises associated with it. Disney's gonna forever be timeless, as for myself and my family, my wife works for NBC/Universal/Comcast so we are a little bias and the prices are nothing to scoff at.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
I prefer Universal simply because I grew up with those properties and they build fun rides. Sure, I watched Disney movies when I was a kid, but I never ever had that level of obsession with it. Certainly not enough to spend thousands of dollars on it.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

If Universal were such a threat the parks would be a lot more comfortable to move around in. As it is they are so packed all the time, I can't believe that Universal is a threat

Lucky for us Minions and Harry Potter are big negatives so we don't need to go to Universal any time soon

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Universal opening a new park north of Dallas and some sort of year round horror thing in Vegas

alg
Mar 14, 2007

couldcareless posted:

Universal opening a new park north of Dallas and some sort of year round horror thing in Vegas

if there's anywhere worse than Florida to go on vacation, its Texas

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

The Texas one is described as a "new concept for children with young families." At a glance, it looks more like Universal's going for that sweet sweet regional theme park money - and maybe trying to court people with a cheaper alternative than the Castle Parks - rather than trying to build a third destination per se.

https://twitter.com/universalorl/status/1613226021066575896

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

quote:

the new park will host four or five Universal-themed immersive and interactive experiences as well as a 300-room hotel, retail, and restaurants

Moderately-Sized Universe

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Jose Oquendo posted:

It is not. You can get all the photos you want but you gotta pay for them. You can do per photo, or get the Memory Maker which is not cheap. However, if you're doing a long stay and/or have a lot of people with you, it's not a bad deal all things considered. Too bad they aren't including the photos from CMs in that.
Memory Maker has always been included with the tickets I've gotten and I think this last trip was the first one where we even bothered to look at what it includes. We're not super big on getting photos of ourselves anyway, but it was nice to get free ride photos I guess.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Arquinsiel posted:

Memory Maker has always been included with the tickets I've gotten and I think this last trip was the first one where we even bothered to look at what it includes. We're not super big on getting photos of ourselves anyway, but it was nice to get free ride photos I guess.

I’d love to know this trick to get free memory maker because every time I’ve purchased a vacation package it’s an additional charge.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

alg posted:

if there's anywhere worse than Florida to go on vacation, its Texas

Just as terrible, but now bigger and with 500% more pride. Also, weather still sucks poo poo.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I know you guys are disney fanboys but it absolutely says something that Universal is opening, designing and deceloping entirely new parks by the handful while Dis ey managed to take 6 years to build one ride(tron)

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

drat that's all disney did in 6 years, incredible

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Let me drag out the old "like it or not, Disney spaces out their construction projects to keep a reason for attendance"

Pretty sure everytime that same line gets echoed in here, this gets said over and over.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

maybe the person that can barely type coherent sentences isn't a great source for the great threats facing disney

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Jose Oquendo posted:

I’d love to know this trick to get free memory maker because every time I’ve purchased a vacation package it’s an additional charge.

I believe that poster is from the UK and they tend to get discounts that we don't get stateside. That would be my guess.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

worms butthole guy posted:

I know you guys are disney fanboys but it absolutely says something that Universal is opening, designing and deceloping entirely new parks by the handful while Dis ey managed to take 6 years to build one ride(tron)
What’s it say?

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

What’s it say?

that even non theme park nerds can be lovely trolls

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Braksgirl posted:

I believe that poster is from the UK and they tend to get discounts that we don't get stateside. That would be my guess.
I'm actually from Ireland but I have also booked from the UK and it seems both countries get the same discounts. If you're willing to spend a week or two there then you can always VPN yourself your ticket purchase to take advantage.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Bottom Liner posted:

maybe the person that can barely type coherent sentences isn't a great source for the great threats facing disney

I think the fifth image is wrong; it lists Runaway Railway as Magic Kingdom, should be under Hollywood Studios. The other thing about that list, the only Magic Kingdom updates were fireworks shows and Friendship Faire. Tron is definitely needed. But yeah, tons of stuff over the past six years at every other park.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah, to say nothing of the pandemic and global supply chain shortages for critical components of high tech stuff like theme park rides.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah, to say nothing of the pandemic and global supply chain shortages for critical components of high tech stuff like theme park rides.

*Confused Velocicoaster Noises*

Honestly Disney's cadence has been fine, but I think there's a very real issue with how they generate hype. Taking years to build a roller coaster is one thing - telling everyone to get excited and maintain that excitement for years is another.

They're also somewhat indiscriminate about what they slow roll. Taking their time on Cosmic Rewind and Ratatouille is one thing, those are at the edges of the park. Tron has shut down the Railroad for an incredible amount of time, and the central spine of Epcot being a dirt pit for as long as it has is just plain rude. The slow rolling also hurt them there, because it forced massive changes in project scope, further hurting enthusiasm for the projects.

Anyway lets talk about how hopefully we never have another new internal projection animatronic again.

https://twitter.com/hkdlfantasy/status/1613755659320987649?s=46&t=IaBxWhgTaS3MbvFHTceIWg

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I am torn on the internal projection animatronics. Stuff like Buzz Lightyear really worked well in the bright neon UV-washed cartooney environment, but the Frozen stuff is extremely not great.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
A common theme IMO over the decades from doing a ton of Disney park history reading and watching the last few weeks is creating very ambitious concept art and projects but the massive scale of the projects take Disney so long that outside factors have almost always impacted those plans well before they’re even off the design table requiring even more time to scale back or rework an idea. And of course for some reason they have already announced this concept art and generated hype so by the time it’s cancelled or modified it pisses off everyone.

Disney for the last decade for sure seems to be getting a bit better about this at least.

The weirdest thing to me now is lack of cohesiveness with theming and very long term planning thought. Like Guardians in Epcot. You own marvel, at some point a marvel theme park or extension of Hollywood Studios makes total sense for your massive IP that lends itself very well to a huge set of rides. I’m amazed they didn’t future proof that final area some more. Maybe this was discussed ad nauseam in the past but some of those planning decisions really make me wonder what they’re thinking sometimes.

Edit: I forgot there’s that weird east coast contract thing with universal marvel rides. I’m assuming Disney will buy that out or something at some point.

Disappointing Pie fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jan 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

Arquinsiel posted:

I am torn on the internal projection animatronics. Stuff like Buzz Lightyear really worked well in the bright neon UV-washed cartooney environment, but the Frozen stuff is extremely not great.

The animatronics were such a weird brain moment for me when we visited. Part of me was amazed by how great and well done some of the older style characters were. They were very impressive but then a lot of the newer stuff must have been too close to the uncanny valley because my brain genuinely felt some of them didn’t look that great or were hitching slightly that made me weird about them.