Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

This is goddamned amazing and I'd be impressed if it went more than a mile at any speed.

No of course not. its a loving uhaul.

also not the nice friendly highway patrolman at the tongue of the trailer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Wrong thread :colbert:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

xzzy posted:

Oh nice, running that high viscosity stuff! That's what you want in hot climates right?

https://gfycat.com/TidyQueasyAuk#?speed=0.5

Not much gets a :wtc: reaction out of me. That did.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

xzzy posted:

Oh nice, running that high viscosity stuff! That's what you want in hot climates right?

I insist that my automobile be lubricated by only the finest non-Newtonian fluids.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
There was both a mechanical failure and mechanical success here :stonklol:

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
There are better ways to groom one's facial hair.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

There are better ways to groom one's facial hair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5VjK7IiRpk&t=128s

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

I have so many questions about this, but on reflection I think I can sum my thoughts up as:

"How in the name of what in the why?"

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jan 6, 2017

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Beach Bum posted:

This was posted before and the perfect response was already supplied.

quote:

I think he sees the point.

Don't remember who it was but take a bow if you're here.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Powershift posted:

Idiots like this contribute as well.

Given the vehicles and modifications involved, I'm going with "nothing of value was lost."

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
it's not a tuuumaaahhh

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
calling 14" for a tire change

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

xzzy posted:

They're just recreating the pitch drop experiment.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Agreed, though relevant.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Uhaul let my fiancee buy, and installed, a tow hitch for her 98 explorer in New York. Then they let her rent a trailer.

The turn signal wiring was fucky 3 days into her cross country trip, so she went into a service center to get it fixed.

They saw she had an explorer, and took the trailer back, not refunding her anything. Dumped her poo poo out into the lot, and refused any assistance. Leaving her on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere with literally her entire life in the street.

gently caress uhaul forever.

Holy gently caress, I would have been in their faces the entire rest of the day, as loud as possible, until they either made it right, or called the cops. I'd have probably blown a vein or something.

As far as their trucks, the few times I've used them, I've actually gotten a good truck.

BloodBag posted:

Two things:

1: I really liked those old 80s Toyota trucks. I blame Back To The Future, I wanted that black lifted 4x4 so bad. They're like plucky little badgers that do what you want and don't give a gently caress. I loved the old dually camper conversions those things would stick out the front of when I was a kid.

2: Why does literally everything lovely happen to you? It's like you attract bullshittery.

E: #2 depends on my correct assumption that you're the artist formerly known as Some Texas Redneck.

1) those dually Toyotas were crap, but they looked cool.
2) he's a weirdness magnet I think, and yes, that's STR.

Jesus, that Miata on a Horror Freight (I think?) trailer. Those things are only rated for like 2K pounds at most! Miatas are light, but not that light.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Hilarious Mechanical Failures - Check Out That Disco Beat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGRl6cPl_XE&t=72s

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

Beach Bum posted:

This has to be staged. I took a 3" zip disk from a tiny die grinder to the forehead a few years ago and it felt like getting hit with a hammer, I was dazed for a few seconds. A huge piece off a 5" disk would cause way more damage, both to the lens and to the guy's face from impact with the glasses. He should have a black eye at least. Plus look at the lens around the shard, there's no way that was pierced, it was obviously precut, and then had the piece wedged in.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.

Vitamin J fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jan 9, 2017

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That wrong thread post can't be a good omen.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Is the mechanical failure the hideous "someone left it next to a heater" body styling?

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Uhaul let my fiancee buy, and installed, a tow hitch for her 98 explorer in New York. Then they let her rent a trailer.

The turn signal wiring was fucky 3 days into her cross country trip, so she went into a service center to get it fixed.

They saw she had an explorer, and took the trailer back, not refunding her anything. Dumped her poo poo out into the lot, and refused any assistance. Leaving her on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere with literally her entire life in the street.

gently caress uhaul forever.

Please tell me there was a lawsuit or at least someone got their rear end kicked for pulling that stunt.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I pulled this some 5000mi without issue; I'm going to guess it was 1400lb. I can't imagine doubling that and using something with a third of the power and terrible brakes.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Domestic Amuse posted:

Please tell me there was a lawsuit or at least someone got their rear end kicked for pulling that stunt.

Before I knew her, maybe 2007. I think she just picked up the pieces and got a Penske IIRC.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Old tow pics of some stupid poo poo I did in the years before AI.

Fat worthless customers truck. that trailer was a giant piece of poo poo too.

rotbox 96' 5 speed sd i bought.

3.2 swapped 190e i put together and traded for the rotbox. biggest mistake.
I think these were when it still had the low comp worn out 3.9 before i blew it sky loving high and swapped in a 4.2 with a cam.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Posted this in the OSHA thread, but I think it'll be appreciated here as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TIjwMrNck8&t=75s

Edit: unrelated

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urtoqW_jewo

`Nemesis fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jan 9, 2017

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Turns out chains aren't meant to yanked on.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tomarse posted:

Even those of us with the lovely later licenses can still drive tanks as provisional. I believe too that if they only have one seat you can do it unaccompanied with just an L plate, and older tanks are also road tax free, MOT exempt and congestion charge exempt...
Also, a rigid vehicle driven unladen can be any weight, provided it is pre-60.

I want a Scammell Explorer.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

`Nemesis posted:

This is why you don't yank on chains. . . But wouldn't teh whole thing have gone a lot better if he turned the tow truck around? It was spinning the back wheels and well, the load was pushing down on the front to cause the back wheels to lift.

Part 2 is way more booring, they brought in a large 3 axle tow truck and hooked it up from the back, also yanked off a big tree branch in the process. Maybe pulling at a slight angle first to get around the tree would and hooking up backwards could have saved the smaller truck.

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jan 9, 2017

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That's like when the guy thought you pull a truck off a berm by gunning it backwards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dw1xZxUssfs

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I love it when he says "yeah well, that's what you do with these straps, you just go..." and the response is a flat "no".

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I can only imagine that he at one point heard someone say that's what you do with bungee straps but forgot about the bungee part. If you had a bungee strap, you would just go (though not that fast), build up a bunch of energy in the strap and then that would slowly pull the other truck. But he just has regular straps.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

That's like when the guy thought you pull a truck off a berm by gunning it backwards.

Well it worked.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cojawfee posted:

I can only imagine that he at one point heard someone say that's what you do with bungee straps but forgot about the bungee part. If you had a bungee strap, you would just go (though not that fast), build up a bunch of energy in the strap and then that would slowly pull the other truck. But he just has regular straps.
Even then, you don't just floor it. You give it a try at a reasonable speed, and reassess if you want to go faster if it doesn't work.

A bungee strap used in that video would likely have done nothing but send his ripped-off front end on a more impressive trajectory.

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.

Aw, I thought it was gonna tip over. :(

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

`Nemesis posted:

Edit: unrelated

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urtoqW_jewo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxNzuCCh1T8

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

Not sure about Kansas, but where I'm from you're supposed to flag large projecting loads/rear overhangs.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
Ford E-350. Pulls to one side when you hit the brake, sometimes makes a grinding noise:

And this nightmare with a Kia Soul:

Not only were the hub and bearing completely destroyed; the excessive free play forced the axle up into the inside of the spindle, mashing the ABS tone ring straight into the sensor and ground them both into useless chunks. By some miracle, the spindle survived with only some surface damage.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Root Bear posted:

And this nightmare with a Kia Soul:

Not only were the hub and bearing completely destroyed; the excessive free play forced the axle up into the inside of the spindle, mashing the ABS tone ring straight into the sensor and ground them both into useless chunks. By some miracle, the spindle survived with only some surface damage.

That has to be like infant mortality. Isn't the Kia Soul like a 2013ish car at the oldest?

It's remarkable how long you can apparently drive on a bad wheel bearing before the wheel falls off. Look at how mashed some of those balls are.

e: jesus christ, 2008?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's like a gumball machine for war boys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

DumbparameciuM posted:

Not sure about Kansas, but where I'm from you're supposed to flag large projecting loads/rear overhangs.
I assumed that's what the pants were for.