Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Wheany posted:

we use punchcards. well not literally, but a web form where you have to click on a button when you arrive and leave.

this is separate from the timesheets where you still need to go type your hours

you can be drat sure that i loving beeline for the login button as soon as i come in from the front door. and after i click the logout button, i leave behind a cartoonesque dust cloud where i was standing.

This is pretty much what I have except instead of a punch-in/punch-out system, I have my HipChat availability status. Luckily yesterday was sweet because my boss's boss was out for the afternoon and the whole support team is offsite visiting another team.

I have recently turned up the idle time on my HipChat, though. I have to leave my machine unlocked when I leave, but I now have like a 30 minute window where I can do whatever I want, now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
we used to have timesheets where we recorded exactly how long we spent working on each task

i know i used rand() to fill mine in and i guess i wasn't alone because management suddenly realised the whole thing was pointless and told them nothing of value and, in a startling display of common sense, dropped the whole idea

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i said "gently caress that hdl poo poo" and went back to playing with haskell and hdl parsing and i successfully parsed out all of the register/constant declarations from one of my files, including things like ranges defined by expressions

this was very exciting for me

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

so I found an RPC server plugin for kerbal space program

brb going to turn my Arduino (which I bought a new CPU for after I toasted the last one) into a dedicated KSP autopilot

Surely if they did it in 1969 I can do it in 2016

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Luigi Thirty posted:

so I found an RPC server for kerbal space program

brb going to turn my Arduino (which I bought a new CPU for after I toasted the last one) into a dedicated KSP autopilot

Surely if they did it in 1969 I can do it in 2016

we have at least a dozen employees still here from when we did it in '69 :3:

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

I have to track how much dev time I spend on work items and I hate it because no matter how much management says they're not making judgements based on it, I know they are, and I've got too much baggage from past jobs of getting the classic "Why did you spend 40 hours on this task? It really shouldn't have taken that long." Thanks for your input, manager who hasn't touched the code or have any idea how loving hard something was to do.

gently caress time tracking

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Finster Dexter posted:

no matter how much management says they're not making judgements based on it

wait, what are they claiming is even the point then

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

Soricidus posted:

at my place -- for improving time estimation statistics

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Bloody posted:

we have at least a dozen employees still here from when we did it in '69 :3:

neat

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

megaparsec seems to let you capture the parser state as its doing stuff. i wanna do that so i can tag my parsed bits and pieces with where in the source file they came from so i can give nice descriptive messages after parsing an entire file but their tutorials do not cover it and i am dumb. looks like there's a runParser' that somehow exposes the state as it goes along? i have no idea what i am doing lmao and every google search containing "megaparsec" gives a bunch of space related bullshit

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

hackbunny posted:

oh, lucky you, our OS class was all about fork and sysv ipc, the project was about writing a silly toy task dispatcher. in our study group we called it bogotron 2000 because it did a lot of work to accomplish nothing :pram:. I had the honor of having to explain the name to the professor lol

is ipc inter-process communication? i didnt have to do that, but we did implement fork as well. this is everything i did for that course:
*implement fork and exec
*implement a bunch of other syscalls that escape me
*implement a ticket-based process scheduler
*implement a basic shell (really basic, really really basic, i wasn't allowed to use a parser library :()
*implement a slab allocator
*change the virtual memory layout (the kernel we were using put the stack in the middle by default, we moved it to the top of the memory range and put the heap in the middle)
*implement spinlocks and semaphores
*implement an fsck tool for a super basic filesystem
*implement a few basic programs like cat and grep against a different filesystem
*implement multithreading

i was working full time throughout all my cs courses too, since epic was paying for them. i think i got like 2 hours of sleep a day max during that os course.

Soricidus posted:

we used to have timesheets where we recorded exactly how long we spent working on each task

i know i used rand() to fill mine in and i guess i wasn't alone because management suddenly realised the whole thing was pointless and told them nothing of value and, in a startling display of common sense, dropped the whole idea

we technically have this time log to fill out, but my boss doesnt give a poo poo as long as theres at least 40 hours in there logged to "development" and i remember to log the billable poo poo accurately. thats really variable though and some people have hideous micromanagers that want 15-minute level detail of all the poo poo you do.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Soricidus posted:

Barnyard Protein posted:

at my place -- for improving time estimation statistics

Yup, exactly this. Time estimation is easily my least favorite thing about this line of work.

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

i ended up spending all day yesterday getting one dialog to work and i got five tickets back about it still being broken as gently caress just now
if you asked me for an estimate before i started i would have said 2-3 hours tops

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
it usually takes a few hours for me to come up with an estimate the right way. i'm anticipating being asked to give an estimate for the estimate.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

HoboMan posted:

i ended up spending all day yesterday getting one dialog to work and i got five tickets back about it still being broken as gently caress just now
if you asked me for an estimate before i started i would have said 2-3 hours tops

always triple your estimates

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

is ipc inter-process communication?

yes, sysv ipc in particular is an ancient and especially lovely ipc api

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

i didnt have to do that, but we did implement fork as well. this is everything i did for that course:

I'm envious! all we did was write the aforementioned bogotron 2000 and run it on the solaris machines of the unix lab. I wish we had toy kernels to play with, I had to learn all that stuff the hard way on my own by working on reactos

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
I'm looking for a fully managed PaaS that I can just ship code to, and I'm willing to spend the money. Is heroku still the best option for this or is there some new stuff from azure or openshift worth looking at?

e: python 3.4 or 3.5, postgis, background celery procs

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
use azure and asp.net.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Barnyard Protein posted:

it usually takes a few hours for me to come up with an estimate the right way. i'm anticipating being asked to give an estimate for the estimate.

I didn't know George costanza had a forums account

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

mostly I just want to torture myself by writing a cooperative multitasking kernel on my arduino because I never got to take any operating system classes in college

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

Luigi Thirty posted:

mostly I just want to torture myself by writing a cooperative multitasking kernel on my arduino because I never got to take any operating system classes in college

I did a preemptive kernel for dsPIC a while back for the same reason -- its really fun and surprisingly simple to get something barebones basic working, although i learned that the simple-barebones design didn't lend itself to the kinds of constructs you'd want in a real kernel.

i read this book a while back, its about coding up cooperative statemachines, but it goes into a lot of OS ideas suitable for a small platform like an AVR or PIC -- he starts selling his licensed framework pretty early on, but he describes the fundamental concepts well enough that you can design and write your own

http://www.amazon.com/Practical-UML-Statecharts-Event-Driven-Programming/dp/0750687061

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
If it needs structural changes to the db, rest interface and ui, the default estimate is 2 weeks.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
#noestimates

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Barnyard Protein posted:

we call that a scoping exercise. sometimes we spend more time coming up with estimates than actually producing anything.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Wheany posted:

If it needs structural changes to the db, rest interface and ui, the default estimate is 2 weeks.

I wish those were separate concerns in this code base. A lot of ASP.NET web forms pages with codebehind, and the codebehind has everything, db access, html manipulation, 3rd-party API requests. The best is when I work on poo poo that this one guy did with his ninth level of hell jarvascript implementation. Then it's like all the normal poop wrapped in a thick layer of diarhea sauce

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
web forms is so gross. can you imagine that there was a time when it was the best thing out there?

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

well i found the page where everything just throws an exception instead of trying to do anything graceful

this is literally the user entry validation:
C# code:
if (pooType== "Soft") {
	// do stuff
}
else if (pooType== "Solid") {
	// do other stuff
}
else
       throw new ApplicationException("Invailid poo type");
and no, there's not code to handle this exception

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

Shaggar posted:

web forms is so gross. can you imagine that there was a time when it was the best thing out there?

as someone who is working on nothing but gross webforms, no

i can feel myself forgetting what MVC is a little more every day

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

HoboMan posted:

as someone who is working on nothing but gross webforms, no

i can feel myself forgetting what MVC is a little more every day

loving same

fml

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

when it was a thing you were better off with php than webforms

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
when i first used webforms after using php i was amazed by how much better of a model it was. this lasted about a week before i concluded that the webform model was actually so broken that even php soup which mixed sql and html was better

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

akadajet posted:

when it was a thing you were better off with php than webforms

lmao no.

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
https://www.codingame.com/start

i'm trying my hand at this but i only know HTML and XML, the 2 programming languages that I've heard of

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

Beast of Bourbon posted:

https://www.codingame.com/start

i'm trying my hand at this but i only know HTML and XML, the 2 programming languages that I've heard of

lmao at implying HTML/XML is a programming language

JimboMaloi
Oct 10, 2007

more like dICK posted:

I'm looking for a fully managed PaaS that I can just ship code to, and I'm willing to spend the money. Is heroku still the best option for this or is there some new stuff from azure or openshift worth looking at?

e: python 3.4 or 3.5, postgis, background celery procs

heroku or go into the aws ecosystem. elastic beanstalk for your app + RDS for db + apparently you can use SQS with celery.

your stack as specified wont let you benefit from most of azures PaaS features so youd end up mostly using it as an IaaS provider and janitoring the vms yourself.

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

HoboMan posted:

the L stands for language, C++ doesn't have an L in it, so you could make the argument that it's not a programming language.

although maybe it's like college majors and if you have to put 'science' in the title, then it's not a science. like political science.

hmmm

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

HoboMan posted:

please don't be that guy

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin
blup blup Programming Must Be Difficult blup blup

quiggy