Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

make mockery
Jan 31, 2019
sexy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Serephina posted:

Qud Talk! I finally bought it, and have splatted enough Praetorians to get through the Red Rock quest and back alive via the underground river. Also completed the Copper Wire mini quest. The world just opened up and it's scary, since I know I'm just going to splat the second I stick my head in a new area and it seems tempting to do dumb stuff like grind. This is my first open-world RL and I'm not sure I like the feel of it =[

Edit; splat. Hit a weird spot where any AV increases caused traumatic loss in DV. was either 6/9 (plus shield), or 11/-2. Oh well!

make mockery
Jan 31, 2019
quds armour system is not what id call balanced currently

from what i understand you usually basically want enough av that most attacks from trash enemies have trouble penetrating and then as much dv as you can get on top of that

also explosions dont respect either av or dv so theyll murder u through either

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Yeah 6 AV is around the early- to midgame sweet spot if you're not planning to spend a bunch of time meleeing super beefy enemies, since that's what you can reasonably achieve while still having high DV. If you want to be a supertank, you need to get into modifying higher level armours like crysteel shardmail (specifically with Flexiweaved to mitigate DV loss, plus any other defensively useful stuff you can acquire).

Alternatively you can simply go for atrociously high DV and just add on a point or two of AV whenever you get your hands on a really good, high-tier piece of equipment worth swapping to. Don't attempt this unless you have decent Toughness and really good Agility though, as approximately 5% of attacks will hit you no matter what, and that poo poo hurts when it happens while you're in a slap fight with some big swole bastard from the depths of cyberhell.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

If there's one thing I fondly remember about Dredmor it's all the eyebrow based insults the enemies throw at you.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
ascii is good gently caress the haters. I have way more practice differentiating letters than I do differentiating blurry 25x25 images of orcs and goblins.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
DCSS has fantastic easily-distinguished tiles for different monsters and even that game is more readable in ASCII if you're in a big fight surrounded 2 layers deep in beoghite followers or something.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
plus, ascii makes roguelikes easier to play at work.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Impermanent posted:

plus, ascii makes roguelikes easier to play at work.
a hard-to-ignore perk

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I hate this thread because it's making me reinstall ToME and I've already spent 44 hours in it getting mad when I inevitably lose to a random elite

e: I'd forgotten how.... interesting the UI is, bless it. Trying to parse if my fireball skill will do damage to this enemy is an adventure in and of itself.

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Feb 8, 2019

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
Big eyebrows are a crime against me and I won't stand for them.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Serephina posted:

Edit; splat. Hit a weird spot where any AV increases caused traumatic loss in DV. was either 6/9 (plus shield), or 11/-2. Oh well!

Angry Diplomat posted:

Yeah 6 AV is around the early- to midgame sweet spot if you're not planning to spend a bunch of time meleeing super beefy enemies, since that's what you can reasonably achieve while still having high DV. If you want to be a supertank, you need to get into modifying higher level armours like crysteel shardmail (specifically with Flexiweaved to mitigate DV loss, plus any other defensively useful stuff you can acquire).

Alternatively you can simply go for atrociously high DV and just add on a point or two of AV whenever you get your hands on a really good, high-tier piece of equipment worth swapping to. Don't attempt this unless you have decent Toughness and really good Agility though, as approximately 5% of attacks will hit you no matter what, and that poo poo hurts when it happens while you're in a slap fight with some big swole bastard from the depths of cyberhell.

Nah if you want high AV you eat deep-fried neutron stars, physics be damned. Precognition and/or Sphinx Salt to taste.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

I haven't played it, but there's a survival sim called The Forest that might be good for you? It gets compared to URW in the survival sim thread.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

make mockery posted:

ascii can be boring or good its all about implementation

somebody make a pseudoascii game where the monsters form the shapes of their letters

Brut@l. It's okay.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

ascii is good, for games that are built around it. that is, the enemies are named for easy asciification (there's a reason every roguelike has yetis...), no enemy variety has more than a few subspecies so that you can always easily identify a particular subspecies by the color of its glyph, terrain is uncomplicated enough that it can be represented with lines, dots, and colored variations thereof, that sort of thing.

angband's ascii is particularly good and very readable, while i find dwarf fortress to be a mess without tiles

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Jazerus posted:

ascii is good, for games that are built around it. that is, the enemies are named for easy asciification (there's a reason every roguelike has yetis...), no enemy variety has more than a few subspecies so that you can always easily identify a particular subspecies by the color of its glyph, terrain is uncomplicated enough that it can be represented with lines, dots, and colored variations thereof, that sort of thing.

angband's ascii is particularly good and very readable, while i find dwarf fortress to be a mess without tiles

Dwarf fortress is so complicated that tilesets are generally forced to remove information purely because no one can be bothered to make that many loving tiles.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Dwarf Fortress's ASCII is almost pictographic, which is an interesting choice to say the least and the opposite of how nearly every other ASCII roguelike handles things.

It still embodies most animals and enemies after their first letter, though, so it could be even weirder.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Jazerus posted:

ascii is good, for games that are built around it. that is, the enemies are named for easy asciification (there's a reason every roguelike has yetis...),

I don't know the history of the genre so why is this?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Name five animals or monsters whose name starts with "y."

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

because there's nothing else you can use a Y for

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Hahaha I figured that was what it was.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I fail after "Yak".

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
there are a lotta yaks too

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Milo and POTUS posted:

Hahaha I figured that was what it was.

I fail after "Yak".

Google turned up this list of 12 animals, 11 of which are "Yellow <something> <some other kind of animal". And the 12th is yak. So good job, you got the only one.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Should just assign wyverns to Y as the weaker dragon variant.

I mean... Y-vern.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Prism posted:

Should just assign wyverns to Y as the weaker dragon variant.

I mean... Y-vern.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I really like how Incursion looks but I think it uses partially DF tileset graphics. integrates really smoothly with the ascii though.

make mockery
Jan 31, 2019

nah i mean like this

also nobodys mentioned the yeek

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

DisDisDis posted:

I really like how Incursion looks but I think it uses partially DF tileset graphics. integrates really smoothly with the ascii though.

If I recall correctly, the standard DF "tileset" is really just a specific extended ASCII that you used to get on old Windows/DOS machines.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Just make a bunch of different throwing themed enemies and bundle them all under Y for Yeeter. Kobold yeeter, orc yeeter, ogre yeeter, giant yeeter, etc. Voila, Y is now the distinctive ASCII shorthand for a dangerous ranged physical enemy that shows up as part of a group alongside melee chaff enemies.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Angry Diplomat posted:

Just make a bunch of different throwing themed enemies and bundle them all under Y for Yeeter. Kobold yeeter, orc yeeter, ogre yeeter, giant yeeter, etc. Voila, Y is now the distinctive ASCII shorthand for a dangerous ranged physical enemy that shows up as part of a group alongside melee chaff enemies.

this is, incidentally, the origin of the yeek

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
hey madjackmcmad I found a weird bug

when you have the pay 2 lose 'misidentify consumables' toggle on, and then get the 3rd advanced delving perk that auto identifies stuff, it gives things the random "misidentified consumable" names even if they're not consumables, and/or mundane items. so you get stuff like this

this gets reset when you save and quit and load back in, but new stuff you pick up will still have the scrambled names.
perhaps I'm the first person to actually play with "misidentify consumables" on 100%?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Precisely!

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
Card quest is such a rush.

I can't believe I actually beat a quest, although the 'cycle through your deck swashbuckler' is pretty easy to get the hang of. I still feel like I'm pretty bad at the game overall, but it does get a lot more reasonable when you unlock some upgrades for the class you're using.

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

If I recall correctly, the standard DF "tileset" is really just a specific extended ASCII that you used to get on old Windows/DOS machines.

The one with the rectangular smiley face?

Edit: Looks like he's kind of still around: ☺

User fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Feb 9, 2019

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Another not often mentioned problem with ascii is that depending heavily on color can screw people with color blindness. Graphical tiles at least will just look weird.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Blue Yeek
Brown Yeek
Master Yeek
Boldor, King of the Yeeks
Orfax, son of Boldor

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
I gave up after yak, yeek, yellow mold, yellow light

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

:colbert: Yak yeeter, yellow yeeter, yeet mold, y-

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

YASD-generator. I guess Y'golonac if you're going full Lovecraft?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

make mockery
Jan 31, 2019
ymir-eater