Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012

Reinanigans posted:

Would a Careful nature with max Special Defende be advisable? Maybe put the rest of the EVs in HP and Defense and then give it Bulk Up/Hammer Arm/Return/Shadow Claw with Leftovers?

Honestly, I don't know. But what I was planning to do when I got to battle tree and knocked out some effective pokemon was train Bewear with Adamant or Careful with HP and Attack IV's , with Assault Vest. With Return and Earthquake for sure then a toss up between Ice Punch/Shadow Claw/Hammer Arm. But that's just me and I don't have the best handle on competitive play. But in game, the only thing that has taken down my Bewear were special attacks when I got careless and didn't switch out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Kurtofan posted:

the cutest cry :3:

SCREEEEEEEE *squishsquishsquish*

But if we're talking about great cries, Mimikyu's adorable/pained "Pikachu" sound is cutest.

BEST still goes to the otherwise forgettable Kriketune.

DEEDLEEDLEEDLEEEE BWOOOOOOOOOOP

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Infinite ammo vs. CYBER PUNCH!!

Classtoise posted:

But if we're talking about great cries, Mimikyu's adorable/pained "Pikachu" sound is cutest.

It's imitating a Pikachu it strangled once.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Reduces it to zero, in fact.

I guess that helps, but it still means I've gotta waste a turn statusing wild Pokémon that I'd rather be knocking out quickly.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
If I have a 6 IV ditto with Destiny Knot, and a 5 IV parent, then the odds of getting a 6 IV child should be a little under 2%?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Ignite Memories posted:

I guess that helps, but it still means I've gotta waste a turn statusing wild Pokémon that I'd rather be knocking out quickly.

Try Quick Balls. They're god's gift to the frustrated SOS trainer.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

I want 50

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

PJOmega posted:

If I have a 6 IV ditto with Destiny Knot, and a 5 IV parent, then the odds of getting a 6 IV child should be a little under 2%?

3/160, yes.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Dr. Stab posted:

3/160, yes.

Oof. How does the math on that even work?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

PJOmega posted:

Oof. How does the math on that even work?
1/6 to inherit the not-perfect IV and 1/2 that you get it from the non-Ditto parent. When you hit your 11/12, it's 1/32 to hit the sixth perfect, because that's straight random.

So uh, isn't it 11/384?

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012

Classtoise posted:

SCREEEEEEEE *squishsquishsquish*

BEST still goes to the otherwise forgettable Kriketune.

DEEDLEEDLEEDLEEEE BWOOOOOOOOOOP

Gastrodon was my favorite when it first came out and seeing it in 3D and in refresh makes me so happy. It's so adorable.

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

cancerianmoth posted:

Gastrodon was my favorite when it first came out and seeing it in 3D and in refresh makes me so happy. It's so adorable.

My favorite in this generation is Charjabug. BEEP BEEP I'M THE BUG BUS

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012

Eddie Whitson posted:

My favorite in this generation is Charjabug. BEEP BEEP I'M THE BUG BUS

When it was revealed I wanted one so bad, but zooming through the game I have not seen one in the wild. Like most of the new 'mons, its low find rate makes me just move on. I am going up victory road though, I might back track or breed one up from an online grab. Its just atm, my newest member is Turtonator and I'm surprisingly liking him? Not sure what the hole in his chest is about but I'm kinda liking him in general. Once he picks up his signature move, i'll start my electro-bug hunt. Though Galvantula will always have that spot filled for me.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

cancerianmoth posted:

When it was revealed I wanted one so bad, but zooming through the game I have not seen one in the wild. Like most of the new 'mons, its low find rate makes me just move on. I am going up victory road though, I might back track or breed one up from an online grab. Its just atm, my newest member is Turtonator and I'm surprisingly liking him? Not sure what the hole in his chest is about but I'm kinda liking him in general. Once he picks up his signature move, i'll start my electro-bug hunt. Though Galvantula will always have that spot filled for me.

it's on route 1 or 2 but only in one patch of grass

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Reduces it to zero, in fact.

People keep saying this, yet multiple times I've had paralyzed pokemon call for help successfully.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

I don't know how the hell you missed seeing a Grubbin at the very beginning of the game. But if you'd rather start with a Charjabug it's in the area near the power plant on Ula'ula. It only evolves into Vikavolt in the Vast Poni Canyon. Also, be warned that it goes from a Physical attacker to a Special Attacker, you'll probably want to use the Move Reminder soon after evolution to change up it's moveset.

EDIT: Grubbin is in the two grass patches right outside Iki Town. I guess it's not that unreasonable to not see one.

runchild fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Dec 28, 2016

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

cancerianmoth posted:

It's the second form of Grubbin

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

I've been resetting for good IV's on the Tapus. I've lost count of the amount of times now I've gotten a perfect Attack IV on Lele, Fini, and Koko but poor Speed/Sp. Atk.

Now trying for Bulu, now I've got the opposite problem of getting perfect Sp. Atk multiple times but recurring poor Attack IV :shepicide:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Zonekeeper posted:

People keep saying this, yet multiple times I've had paralyzed pokemon call for help successfully.

Totem pokémon can still call for help. Others won't.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

DACK FAYDEN posted:

1/6 to inherit the not-perfect IV and 1/2 that you get it from the non-Ditto parent. When you hit your 11/12, it's 1/32 to hit the sixth perfect, because that's straight random.

So uh, isn't it 11/384?

This doesn't sound right to me. How is there only a 1/6 chance of inheriting that particular IV if you inherit 5/6 of your IVs?

There's a 1/32 chance to roll max on the non inherited IV, a 1/2 chance that the imperfect parent's IV is chosen for that particular stat, and a 1/6 chance that the imperfect IV won't be inherited at all.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Dec 28, 2016

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Blooming Brilliant posted:

I've been resetting for good IV's on the Tapus. I've lost count of the amount of times now I've gotten a perfect Attack IV on Lele, Fini, and Koko but poor Speed/Sp. Atk.

Now trying for Bulu, now I've got the opposite problem of getting perfect Sp. Atk multiple times but recurring poor Attack IV :shepicide:

Hyper Training, my friend

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Totem pokémon can still call for help. Others won't.

There are Pokemon, such as Wishiwashi, that do not care if they have a status effect, and will still call for help in that case. And no, I'm not talking about the Totem version.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Improbable Lobster posted:

I'm guessing a few restarts now is faster than grinding to Lv. 100 and farming bottle caps.

Although I don't know, is it :v:

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012

runchild posted:

I don't know how the hell you missed seeing a Grubbin at the very beginning of the game. But if you'd rather start with a Charjabug it's in the area near the power plant on Ula'ula. It only evolves into Vikavolt in the Vast Poni Canyon. Also, be warned that it goes from a Physical attacker to a Special Attacker, you'll probably want to use the Move Reminder soon after evolution to change up it's moveset.

Doesn't grubbing only show up during the day? I play moon so most of the time I'm playing during the night in-game. And as I mentioned I just zoomed through. Which I'm okay with, I picked up Morelull which has been a good mushroom. I also have been running around with Turtonator, Vullaby, Komala, and Gastrodon. I've been wondering what to fill my last slot with. Togedemaru was there but wasn't doing a good job staying alive. I'm looking for steel or electric. Been eyeballing Alola sandslash but I'm not too sure if I can take another fighting/fire weakness. Lycanroc would be cool, but night isn't as good as day moveset wise. Don't know why you can't breed accelerock back onto itself.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

I'm guessing a few restarts now is faster than grinding to Lv. 100 and farming bottle caps.

Although I don't know, is it :v:

You are looking at 1/1024 odds for perfect IVs, so...gonna guess no?

E: Is there any reason but petty revenge for spiting their uniqueness system to require levelling to 100?

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

You are looking at 1/1024 odds for perfect IVs, so...gonna guess no?

E: Is there any reason but petty revenge for spiting their uniqueness system to require levelling to 100?

Not wanting perfects, just good speed and attack. Not that crazy.

EDIT: Although aren't the odds improved for Legendaries because you get 3 perfects straight away? Or was that taken into account?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

I've still been resetting the ubs and tapus to at least get the three perfects in the important stats I want. No guarantee that hyper training will carry over next gen

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Zonekeeper posted:

Same

I can say from personal experience this isn't true

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

MacheteZombie posted:

I've still been resetting the ubs and tapus to at least get the three perfects in the important stats I want. No guarantee that hyper training will carry over next gen

I don't expect them to remove it. Maybe change how it's accessed or rename it but it would be really weird if they decided to reset the IVs of Hyper Trained pokemon.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

I don't expect them to remove it. Maybe change how it's accessed or rename it but it would be really weird if they decided to reset the IVs of Hyper Trained pokemon.

Changing or dropping something even though it's really weird is GF's thing.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Changing or dropping something even though it's really weird is GF's thing.

Yeah but it seems unlikely that EVs of Super Trained pokemon are gonna be reset when they're brought over through the bank. I doubt that they'd do that to Hyper Trained stats either.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

DACK FAYDEN posted:

So uh, isn't it 11/384?

If the not-perfect IV belongs to the stat that gets randomized (1/6 chance), then it needs to be randomized to 31 (1/32 chance). If the not-perfect IV doesn't get randomized (5/6 chance), then you need to inherit it from the 6IV parent (1/2 chance) and then the randomized stat needs to be randomized to 31 (1/32 chance).

So 1/6 * 1/32 + 5/6 * 1/2 * 1/32 = 7/384.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Gotta say I've come around on Primarina's design.

Popplio's joy to be given a chance to perform (even if it sucks at it) is :3: and Primarina's cute.

Brionne I'm still not fond of, but it's a middle stage between two good stages.

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

come back here
This is confusing me. How exactly does one go about getting skill swap on Exeggutor when according to Serebii, there are no legal parents to pass the move down to it?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm gonna call her Jasper.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

TFRazorsaw posted:

I'm gonna call her Jasper.

Z-crystals are just a cheap trick to make weak Pokemon stronger!

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9
So, if I'm levelling stuff up on the Pelago and it passes the level to evolve do I have to level it in the field or would feeding it rare meals or rare candy force it to evolve?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

vOv posted:

Z-crystals are just a cheap trick to make weak Pokemon stronger!

*cue two Plusle and Minun singing "Stronger Than You"*

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Syrant posted:

So, if I'm levelling stuff up on the Pelago and it passes the level to evolve do I have to level it in the field or would feeding it rare meals or rare candy force it to evolve?

Leveling up in battle or a rare candy will do the job. Rare meals from festival plaza don't seem to trigger evolution or move learning, so that won't do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

TFRazorsaw posted:

*cue two Plusle and Minun singing "Stronger Than You"*

it is time to stop