Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Erenthal posted:

http://www.pulitzer.org/winners/michael-ramirez

For his provocative cartoons that rely on originality, humor and detailed artistry

This statement makes me want to jump out a window

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Prism posted:

'Not with sticks, so it doesn't count. :pseudo:'

It's really kind of disgusting how many of the conservative cartoonists (and talking heads, and radio people, and politicians, and...) have locked in their positions as 'defend Nazis' and 'antifa are the real threat'. Not entirely unexpected, but disgusting nonetheless.

It's working too

Like, if enough talking heads say "antifa are the REAL problem" enough times, the national discourse moves away from how horrible it is that 2017 America has a living, thriving Nazi movement and toward a referendum on antifa. I've talked to enough centrists/right-leaning Dems whose opinion on antifa is "they're assholes, breaking windows and stuff all the time, this congress does not speak for me" etc etc to see it firsthand.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

loquacius posted:

It's working too

Like, if enough talking heads say "antifa are the REAL problem" enough times, the national discourse moves away from how horrible it is that 2017 America has a living, thriving Nazi movement and toward a referendum on antifa. I've talked to enough centrists/right-leaning Dems whose opinion on antifa is "they're assholes, breaking windows and stuff all the time, this congress does not speak for me" etc etc to see it firsthand.

Canada has it too, so it's not just you. They just have to be a little more subtle here about big gatherings, because we don't have an absolute right of free speech, and there's a law against inciting hatred that can hit them if they target a particular group (like Muslims) with calls to violence in public. But not that much more subtle, because they usually won't charge you until the point that you're inciting violence or distributing hate propaganda.

Instead it tends to be smaller groups in private that then go out and harass people.

Edit: And the swastika when used in this manner has been declared hate speech, so they have to use different symbols publically, too. The Confederate flag is one of them!

Prism fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Sep 10, 2017

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

TheBigAristotle posted:

Grab a political cartoonist to cushion you when you land.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Noted Communist, Vladimir Putin

(to be fair, lots of liberal cartoonists have become guilty of this in the last year, too)

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Pakled posted:

Noted Communist, Vladimir Putin

(to be fair, lots of liberal cartoonists have become guilty of this in the last year, too)

To be fair he was in the KGB.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Hunt11 posted:

To be fair he was in the KGB.

Like many who used to be in the KGB, he's now a kleptocrat. Putin is the ultimate representation of crony, klepto-Capitalism. Its final SSJ form if you will. Confusing Putin with Communism is utter garbage and throughly misleading.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

TheBigAristotle posted:

quote:

Ramirez combines an encyclopedic knowledge pf the news with a captivating drawing style to create consistently outstanding cartoons. "Editorial cartoons should be smart and substantive, provocative and informative," he says. "They should stir passions and deep emotions." Ramirez says, "Editorial cartoon should be the catalyst for thought and frankly speaking, if you can make politicians think, that is an accomplishment itself."

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Pembroke Fuse posted:

Like many who used to be in the KGB, he's now a kleptocrat. Putin is the ultimate representation of crony, klepto-Capitalism. Its final SSJ form if you will. Confusing Putin with Communism is utter garbage and throughly misleading.

I know Putin has nothing to do with Communism and by the time Putin was born the Soviet Union had very little to do with Communism either and had instead turned in this super repressive state. So I took the symbol as an idea that any hope for Russia becoming more representative and less repressive was gone as long as Putin was still in control.

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015
Some things I've noticed about the comics of this era. Comic strips were a big deal, the Sunday paper could reach twenty pages of comics. Editorial comics were not a big deal. Most of the papers I've seen had one staff cartoonist who provided all of the editorial comics for the paper.

Another group of early WWII

I haven't come across pro Nazi comics in 1939 yet. As far as I can tell the government had already started cracking down on that. I did see a number of stories about an embezzlement trial involving the German American Bund that were interesting but no comics yet.
German American Bund

Hitlerism uber alies!-- Brooklyn Daily Eagle 6-8-1937

Storm Brewing-- Brooklyn Daily Eagle 1-3-1939

Snake in the grass-- Brooklyn Daily Eagle 1-4-1943

Winter Goblin --Brooklyn Daily Eagle 1-14-1939

Babes in the woods--The Wilkes-Barre Record 1-20-1936

Sittin' Pretty--The Tennessean 2-19-1939

A Strong Protection--Brooklyn Daily Eagle 1-4-1939

Conscientious tax payer is probably the most Kelly thing I've ever seen.
Wrong course--Brooklyn Daily Eagle 6-9-1937

Sober Report--Brooklyn Daily Eagle 1-11-1939

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.
"Belief in Santa Claus"? What?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Neodoomium posted:

First time for everything!

(also it was Ramirez who won the two Pulitzers. Branco can't even win the 5th grade art prize)

Are you suggesting Ramirez deserved to win his Pulitzers?

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

TheBigAristotle posted:

60% of what, you stupid rear end in a top hat?

Glad this was bugging someone else too.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Jurgan posted:

Are you suggesting Ramirez deserved to win his Pulitzers?

Nah, just that Ramirez might win the 5th grade prize.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Tardigrade posted:

"Belief in Santa Claus"? What?

I'm actually mad more political cartoons don't involve a giant baby labeled BELIEF IN SANTA CLAUS, really

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

Kirschen posted:

When I was a young art student I first discovered the work of Hokusai. Now I'm an old cartoonist about to be 80 on Mar 8.

still can't draw a wave of his own

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Stay safe, hurricane :ohdear:

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

Trogdos! posted:

still can't draw a wave of his own

"Thanx"

Kirschen getting with the times.

Also it takes balls to go "welp here's a real legit piece of art from a masterful artist that I'm just going to paste into my racist MSPaint shitheap of a comic."

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Murderion posted:

Something about this bugged me...

There, fixed.

An artist's hand at work.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Kirschen was an art student? I guess he's one of those people who doesn't learn from either formal training or a life of experience.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

TheBigAristotle posted:

He's provocative alright.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

Hunt11 posted:

I know Putin has nothing to do with Communism and by the time Putin was born the Soviet Union had very little to do with Communism either and had instead turned in this super repressive state. So I took the symbol as an idea that any hope for Russia becoming more representative and less repressive was gone as long as Putin was still in control.

I think the comic has more to do with Putin's desire to win back the territory and power lost when the Soviet Union collapsed than anything related to the economics of communism. It is clear that Putin wants to establish a country that will worship him as the Soviet Union once worshipped Stalin.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
tag yourself I'm Conscientious Tax Payer

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

SwitchbladeKult posted:

I think the comic has more to do with Putin's desire to win back the territory and power lost when the Soviet Union collapsed than anything related to the economics of communism. It is clear that Putin wants to establish a country that will worship him as the Soviet Union once worshipped Stalin.

I don't think Putin is quite that organized or ideological however. His primary goal seems to be to destabilize some border nations so they don't impede his plans to profit off natural resources, not outright take them over (he doesn't actually give a poo poo about administrating or running the DNR, which the DNR is slowly starting to understand). Putin is also pretty disorganized about the cult of personality thing. I know there is a long-term historical trend towards trying to create Russian "strongman" narratives. Stalin was a big fan of promoting and propagandizing Peter the Great, but in this case Stalin carries a lot more cultural baggage and it's pretty difficult to relate to Stalin's accomplishments/brutality to Putin's boring kleptocracy.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Observer:

"David Davis's power grab – David Simonds on the so-called Henry VIII powers that will rewrite EU laws without parliamentary debate"

Sunday Telegraph:

Irma: UK Government defends response to hurricane after Corbyn says it 'should have acted much faster'

Independent om Sunday:

Sunday Times:

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
https://twitter.com/HongKongFP/status/904915437523107840/

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008

MY PARENTS ARE DEAAAAAAD

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
drat it thread where's Garrison's cartoon about heroic daddy trump brilliantly tricking the dems by agreeing with them and doing what they want as a swamp jew yells "THAT'S RACIST" impotently?

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008

I love how he always draws his GOP elephants with crazy eyes.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

These two frames would make an excellent avatar gif

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Throwing Turtles posted:

A Strong Protection--Brooklyn Daily Eagle 1-4-1939

this guy looks like he has some good ideas for our modern times

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Hunt11 posted:

I know Putin has nothing to do with Communism and by the time Putin was born the Soviet Union had very little to do with Communism either and had instead turned in this super repressive state.

"Turned into" jhmm yes.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Oh hey, birtherism, didn't expect to see you still showing up in 2017 cartoons. Keep on bein' a shithead, Delonas.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Xander77 posted:

At a guess. Haven't actually checked.

None of these say DEBT. What the gently caress, Ramirez?

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

sexpig by night posted:

drat it thread where's Garrison's cartoon about heroic daddy trump brilliantly tricking the dems by agreeing with them and doing what they want as a swamp jew yells "THAT'S RACIST" impotently?

Also looking forward to this

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

"over ten inches of left-wing hoax"

mods please do the needful TIA

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

loquacius posted:

Sounds like a Chuck Tingle title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

loquacius posted:

I'm worried about the context of this one.

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Sounds like a Chuck Tingle title.

Yuuuup

• Locked thread