Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Mange Mite posted:

Isn't that car basically a Taurus

The outgoing US spec Taurus was/is built on the old Ford D3 platform, the new Chinese market Taurus and Continental are built on the new Ford CD4 'one Ford' platform. Basically a modified Fusion platform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Mange Mite posted:

Worse, it's a Fusion, even cheaper.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

All that and the distinctive style and personality of... something.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
I've always been put off by that site's name. I know it's been around forever but I keep expecting tangents about how the industry suppresses knowledge of the pill you put in your gas tank that lets you get 200 mpg.

Grater
Jul 11, 2001
Might seem like a nice guy, but cross me once...

Mange Mite posted:

Hey now, nothing wrong with a Taurus. I just spent about that much on a large, heavy Taurus (Explorer Sport).

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

No, MINI, don't do that!
http://www.motoringfile.com/2016/04/13/report-minis-5th-model-to-be-a-sedan/

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
HUG-E

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Considering how hard companies are bending to the will of the chinese market, it's probably going to be based on the 7 series.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Powershift posted:

Considering how hard companies are bending to the will of the chinese market, it's probably going to be based on the 7 series.

Long wheelbase 7 series.

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Sigma X posted:

TST posted a video today of the Boxster S featuring the new 350 HP, 319ft/lb VVT Turbo four-banger and drat does it sound bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71dPKCqVegs

I'm a little late but man that sounds terribl, and this is from someone who went directly from a dp+catback WRX to a 987

I still enjoy driving the WRX but if the Cayman sounded anythign like it I think I'd be embarrassed to drive it around

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

I finally saw a Lexus RC350 today for the first time. I thought it was a Scion until I got right on top of it.

Not a good looking car, and it looks a LOT like a cheap one.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

angryhampster posted:

I finally saw a Lexus RC350 today for the first time. I thought it was a Scion until I got right on top of it.

Not a good looking car, and it looks a LOT like a cheap one.

It also puts down roughly the same performance numbers as a V6 camry, at least in F-sport trim.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Powershift posted:

It also puts down roughly the same performance numbers as a V6 camry, at least in F-sport trim.

I've been seeing these, I had no idea that they were >$40k. They look plasticky and cheap, and I guess the 350 F-Sport is gunning for the V6 Mustang? The RC is about a hundred pounds more.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Twerk from Home posted:

I've been seeing these, I had no idea that they were >$40k. They look plasticky and cheap, and I guess the 350 F-Sport is gunning for the V6 Mustang? The RC is about a hundred pounds more.

They are pretty lame and the RC-F is too expensive. Interiors are sharp though

dk2m
May 6, 2009

Powershift posted:

Holy poo poo, the 2016 V6 Camry's put out 268 HP. That's the same as a 2016 WRX.

I...I need to sit down for a second.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

dk2m posted:

Holy poo poo, the 2016 V6 Camry's put out 268 HP. That's the same as a 2016 WRX.

This has been going on for a while now though?

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Powershift posted:

Same engine, but like 40 more HP. Plus, RWD should put that power down better. However, the fucker weights like 3900lbs, so there goes all that extra power.

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Yeah that just sounds like a bucket of farts.
The 981.1 GTS might be the high point of Porsche's N/A tuning. What they did with the 3.4L was just incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYQWmNGAPb8

That video sounds like a bucket of farts too, with all the artificial pops.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

dk2m posted:

Don't calm down:

8th pax http://www.delta-scca.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/march_2016_pax_wo_de.htm

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Mat_Drinks posted:

I'm not going to argue that it sounds great for a 4 (like the CLA/GLA which is hilariously nutty: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqeogOKJdSg), but come on, it doesn't sound bad.

edit: the power numbers are nice for it's weight.

I drove a GLA45 the other day. It actually *woofs* on full throttle upshifts. Something I've never heard out of a car before.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

oRenj9 posted:

That video sounds like a bucket of farts too, with all the artificial pops.

Artificial pops?

Are you saying that Porsche artificially leans out the exhaust to intentionally make the popping/crackling noise?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The Boxster sounds like crap but hey at least it will probably get .5 mpg more now.

pik_d posted:

This has been going on for a while now though?

Yeah that's not particularly impressive, the I6 3 series had 270hp like ten years ago.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

Artificial pops?

Are you saying that Porsche artificially leans out the exhaust to intentionally make the popping/crackling noise?

Closest I could find.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/tech-dive-in-depth-with-the-new-porsche-718-boxsters-turbocharged-flat-fours/ posted:

To maintain responsiveness even when the driver lifts off the gas, Porsche briefly leaves the throttle open while retarding the timing, cutting fuel, and shutting the wastegate, essentially pumping air through to the turbo to keep it spinning; get back on the gas quickly, and the turbo’s already in play—no waiting for it to spool up. In the “Sport” drive mode (the middle option on cars with the Sport Chrono package), the programming is less aggressive in cutting fuel, allowing for “emotional” exhaust pops and burbles on overrun. In Sport Plus mode, the programming prioritizes airflow to the turbo, leaving the exhaust relatively subdued on overrun.

I remember Top Gear mentioning some car (M3?) injecting fuel directly into the exhaust manifold, resulting in pops on throttle lift. They presented it as if its sole purpose was to make NOIIIIISE but I guess it could also cool down the exhaust.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Huh. Interesting.

My motorcycles pop and burble on deceleration, but they come by it honestly because they're carbureted, dammit. The Hawk GT even makes a nice POW with every partial-throttle upshift.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Fake exhaust notes and simulated sportiness are the way of the future my friend.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I have an off road h-pipe and the pops and crackles I get on high rpms are great. Don't need no speakers to pipe it in the cabin. :smug:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

a primate posted:

Closest I could find.

I remember Top Gear mentioning some car (M3?) injecting fuel directly into the exhaust manifold, resulting in pops on throttle lift. They presented it as if its sole purpose was to make NOIIIIISE but I guess it could also cool down the exhaust.

So in other words it's an anti-lag system. Arent those supposed to be super loud? If so that's probably it.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

They should make speakers that just pipe in the sounds of someone making vroom-vroom noises in cars.

Get on it Tesla!

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Emptyquote this post in 30 years when the only people who care about how much noise a car makes or whether it has a grill are the out of touch fossils who are ridiculed like we ridicule the last few senile AOL subscribers today.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

ExplodingSims posted:

They should make speakers that just pipe in the sounds of someone making vroom-vroom noises in cars.

Get on it Tesla!

BMW already does this. As usual Tesla isn't actually as innovative as their fanboys think

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Pryor on Fire posted:

Emptyquote this post in 30 years when the only people who care about how much noise a car makes or whether it has a grill are the out of touch fossils who are ridiculed like we ridicule the last few senile AOL subscribers today.

People love cars like the 911 that don't have grilles. It's just that when it's ugly, people latch onto the first thing they notice and blame the lack of grille when really it's just a bad design.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Mange Mite posted:

So in other words it's an anti-lag system. Arent those supposed to be super loud? If so that's probably it.

More like how they do no-lift-shift on aftermarket tunes. Anti-lag would involve throwing fuel into the exhaust pre-turbo to keep it spooled up and it is indeed loud and pretty hard on the turbo (definitely don't think you'll ever see such a system on a road going production car.)

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Mange Mite posted:

BMW already does this. As usual Tesla isn't actually as innovative as their fanboys think

I think you missed the joke in your rush to get that sick burn on Tesla fan boys in.

I meant like, an actual person making vroom-vroom noises.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

x-post - relevant

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Mange Mite posted:

when really it's just a bad design.

It's this. If it didn't look it was designed to have a grill on it it would be fine.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

ExplodingSims posted:

I think you missed the joke in your rush to get that sick burn on Tesla fan boys in.

When one day I own some EV roadster that goes 0-60 in 2 seconds I hope I can set the speakers to make the noises of the "try not to laugh" video where the guy makes F1 noises with the pitch jacked up.

Edit: You know, while it drives me around since humans won't be allowed to manually drive at that point.

Double-edit: hah! this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jk2t2hIATCU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

davebo posted:

When one day I own some EV roadster that goes 0-60 in 2 seconds I hope I can set the speakers to make the noises of the "try not to laugh" video where the guy makes F1 noises with the pitch jacked up.

Edit: You know, while it drives me around since humans won't be allowed to manually drive at that point.

Double-edit: hah! this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jk2t2hIATCU

That video eventually became this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k85mRPqvMbE

And the world became a slightly shittier place to be. That loving thing was EVERYWHERE ~10 years ago.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Apr 14, 2016

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

ExplodingSims posted:

And my joke was that it's not actually a good thing

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

I think we all know the true future of artificial car noises

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSOSJ68xOBA

WOO WOOOO

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Mange Mite posted:

I thought it was well-publicized the Ford or someone did the fake-exhaust-note-over-speaker thing already? Like on a large scale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

LeeMajors posted:

I thought it was well-publicized the Ford or someone did the fake-exhaust-note-over-speaker thing already? Like on a large scale.

Bmw was the first to admit it, and I think their version is prety much fully synthesixed (not sure though - someome correct me). Ford uses a microphone to pipe in the actual engine noise over the speakers, but processed to sound better. They use it in big volume cars like the V6 F150 and I thiNk the Mustang too.