Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

You don't need warrants for cameras pointed at public spaces, and you never have.

I thought we're talking about a network of cameras installed on private property by a company that incentivizes police forces to encourage their installation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Devor posted:

I thought we're talking about a network of cameras installed on private property by a company that incentivizes police forces to encourage their installation

Read the thread better.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

You don't need warrants for cameras pointed at public spaces, and you never have.

I'm a sovereign citizen, my body and everything within a one inch radius around me is private property. Therefore even when I'm out in the street, wherever I got I am on private property, my own. Therefore you are not permitted to take my photo.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Anyone can film in public, but police absolutely do need a warrant, subpoena, or consent to view a private person's camera footage whether it was made in public or private.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

glynnenstein posted:

Anyone can film in public, but police absolutely do need a warrant, subpoena, or consent to view a private person's camera footage whether it was made in public or private.

The big gotcha there is consent - The Ring makes that a checkbox away which no one is reading or understanding the ramifications of granting it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

glynnenstein posted:

They need the warrant to coerce you to hand over the footage, but as I understand it if they ask and you hand it over and there's no implied force or other coercion in play, that's all legit.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

They need the warrant to coerce you to hand over the footage, but as I understand it if they ask and you hand it over and there's no implied force or other coercion in play, that's all legit.

I mean, the police can always ask for whatever they want, but if you say no they need a warrant. If there are exigent circumstances wherein they believe evidence of a crime will be destroyed they can seize it but they still have to prove to a court that a warrant would have been justified.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah the "warrantless surveillance" concern isn't that the police are breaking the law, it's that law - and social norms - are increasingly creating a surveillance state, and people are more or less entirely OK with that, because they mostly are focused on the immediate benefits (help my neighbor by helping the cops catch whoever stole his trailer, keep people from speeding, deter criminals from robbing my house) and not the long-term consequences (government might accumulate data on everyone's whereabouts and habits and use it for profiling, invade privacy, effectively invalidate the 4th amendment, etc.).

But that particular debate is kind of a big one and possibly not so much related to crappy construction tales? Not to backseat mod, I'm just putting it up there that it's a contentious topic.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

But that particular debate is kind of a big one and possibly not so much related to crappy construction tales? Not to backseat mod, I'm just putting it up there that it's a contentious topic.

Yes, there are better arenas for this discussion, within the SA forums, even.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Jaded Burnout posted:

Yes, there are better arenas for this discussion, within the SA forums, even.
This post confused the hell out of me until I realised I was not in fact in the terrible cyberpunk dystopia thread.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Motronic posted:

Yep. That was a partition wall install and due to lack of electrician they did......that.

Guess they are out of luck if that light switch ever fails...

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Splicer posted:

This post confused the hell out of me until I realised I was not in fact in the terrible cyberpunk dystopia thread.

The trick is that forums.somethingawful.com/* is one big cyberpunk dystopia thread.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

wesleywillis posted:

I'm a sovereign citizen, my body and everything within a one inch radius around me is private property. Therefore even when I'm out in the street, wherever I got I am on private property, my own. Therefore you are not permitted to take my photo.

I'm not taking your photo, I'm taking a photo of the legal entity "wesleywillis"

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

cakesmith handyman posted:

I'm not taking your photo, I'm taking a photo of the legal entity "wesleywillis"

you're going to get a headbutt

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

cakesmith handyman posted:

Look my corporate entity can't be held liable for the light you reflected at me creating joinder with the sensor in this camera. Your beef is with the sun not this camera.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

Look my corporate entity can't be held liable for the light you reflected at me creating joinder with the sensor in this camera. Your beef is with the sun not this camera.

As if Legal Entity -wesleywillis- would be out in the sun.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Back to questionable fixture choices.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

By questionable you mean awesome right?

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Yeah that owns

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The only question is where I can get it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

leave my gay rear end toilet alone

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

kid sinister posted:

Why the gently caress is there no toilet seat

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

asecondduck posted:

Why the gently caress is there no toilet seat

Because it’s in a showroom.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

kid sinister posted:

This reminds me that the ceramics professor at the local university apparently bought and unglazed toilet and then glazed and fired it himself. (I've never seen it, though.)

I'm tempted to the do the same, but none of the glazes I use would look anything other than awful on a toilet.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

kid sinister posted:

Finally a legal party toilet.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Urinal with Tongue, by Jack Earl, sadly not a working piece

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Synthbuttrange posted:

leave my gay rear end toilet alone

don't talk to me or my gay rear end toilet ever again

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

canyoneer posted:

you're going to get a headbutt

Also might get told to suck a male camel's dick.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

My Lovely Horse posted:

The door opens into a broom closet lit by a bare bulb with swinging chain that's completely empty and featureless except for an angular protrusion in the wall. A cat is sitting on the protrusion.

HelloIAmYourHeart: well I don't know what I expected.

Your guess was very accurate! Have you been spying on my cat shelter? There was not a cat in the closet. I thought about bringing one in, but they're pretty uncooperative about that sort of thing.

The lighting was a fluorescent panel controlled by a switch in the angular protrusion, so you'd have to walk outside to turn it on/off (the thing to the right that looks like it could be a switchplate is for a phone).

Why would you build this? :psyduck:

Edit: this donation looks like an old friend

HelloIAmYourHeart fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Oct 26, 2019

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

I'd like to think there's a good story here, but it's probably someone hosed up the stair location and they decided to leave it.

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

That's where the firepole goes once the last inspector has hosed off.

HelleSpud
Apr 1, 2010
It's so the archers can pick off whoever tries to take the stairs, while staying out of the way of the group setting up the Indiana Jones boulder.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Yooper posted:

I'd like to think there's a good story here, but it's probably someone hosed up the stair location and they decided to leave it.

They also accidentally used the same window style twice.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

One of the giantbomb folks referenced Groverhaus on a stream, and that's just too much leaking for me.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Jaded Burnout posted:

One of the giantbomb folks referenced Groverhaus on a stream, and that's just too much leaking for me.
There was too much leaking for him, too

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Yooper posted:

I'm the dumbass that would mistake that for a baby or puppy playpen and have a very very unfortunate incident.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

couldcareless posted:

I'm the dumbass that would mistake that for a baby or puppy playpen and have a very very unfortunate incident.

Mandatory airframe parachutes on all pets would address that

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Look, if it’s a urinal and I piss in it, it’s working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Lexx is :wtc: in television form.