Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Mega64 posted:

I liked that you could permanently kill the Eblan Four because I hated them.

I liked that you could easily ignore reviving Calca and Brina because that section always gave me night terrors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I really wouldn't count out DQVII yet anyway. That is a game with A LOT of text to translate, and then make sure the translation doesn't break the game. It's still entirely possible it's in the works and just not been announced yet.

Unless the iOS release of dq8 does very well dq7 will not get a rerelease. Only dq9 has had decent sales outside of japan in the last decade or more.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Yeah but Lightning Returns sold like poo poo and the game SE didn't want to bring over and it was left for Nintendo to do so, Bravely Default, sold very well so it's not like Square Enix are very good at trying to make money lately either. Then there's the unrealistic expectations of Sleeping Dogs and Tomb Raider that they'd sell CoD levels and were written off as a financial loss despite having respectable sales numbers.

Selling under expectations does not mean a game is a financial loss. Iirc tomb raider made a fair bit of money but SE overall had a loss because it didn't sell enough like they hoped for. SE not wanting to bring BD here was dumb and I bet Nintendo acted because they saw a demand similar to Xenoblade Chronicles.

I said come in! posted:

Just as long as Bravely Default sequels keep coming out. That's the only good jRPG since PS2 era.

Look at this poor fool who hasn't played Etrian Odyssey.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jul 20, 2014

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
drat iPad. Quote isn't edit

Cake Attack posted:

they aren't actually pushing Lightning as hard as people claim though

like, the XIII trilogy was made solely to reuse assets and recoup costs on the original XIII, and of course lightning plays a big part in them since she was the ostensible protagonist of XIII

also tbh everyone i've met in real life who still gives a gently caress about ff likes lightning so :shrug:

People should only get worried if SE pushes Melfina from FF14. God what an annoying gently caress of a character. :gonk:

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

Ballz posted:

There's a Japanese rom hack of FFVI called "Final Fantasy T Edition" that's pretty interesting. New music, new events and quests, gameplay changes, etc. Of course it's in moon language, but maybe one day someone will translate it. You can get it here and right at this moment, Tomato of Mother 3 fame is playing through it on his twitch if you're bored.

I have no clue with regards to Japanese so it's pretty useless to me, but I love how prevalent FFVI rom hacks are.

I've seen a pair of Chrono Trigger hacks and a few simple FFIV hacks, but that really pales in comparison to all the FFVI ones. It's really the go-to game if you want to make a hack for your fandom or original idea or whatever.

The website makes it seem like the new music is just tracks from other FF games reinserted into the rom, and then I guess being punched out via the SNES sound module. Still neat though.

Thanks for sharing it so I can at least try and parse what's going on via Twitch.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Evil Fluffy posted:

Look at this poor fool who hasn't played Etrian Odyssey.
Does EO really count, or is it a lower-difficulty first person dungeon crawl with a particular visual aesthetic? They could just as easily have had the art style of Dark Spire and nothing about them feels especially JRPG aside from the art.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

People should only get worried if SE pushes Melfina from FF14. God what an annoying gently caress of a character. :gonk:

They put Y'shotla in Curtain Call for FF14's rep over Minfilla, I wouldn't be too worried if I was you.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Terper posted:

I mean, I agree that for big budget HD projects you certainly need more than a year, but for something like Bravely Default? Nope.

Someone take this image and add in all rereleases so every year is like Final Fantasy I, Final Fantasy III, Final Fantasy IV, Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy XIII

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

Does EO really count, or is it a lower-difficulty first person dungeon crawl with a particular visual aesthetic? They could just as easily have had the art style of Dark Spire and nothing about them feels especially JRPG aside from the art.

Well, if dungeon crawlers don't count as JRPGs than like... Phantasy Star or SMT doesn't count as a JRPG and that seems a little off to me.

Anyway, the first game has you visiting the decaying ruins of Tokyo after you discover that you're actually in a post-apocalyptic future which is pretty drat JRPG.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

Well, if dungeon crawlers don't count as JRPGs than like... Phantasy Star or SMT doesn't count as a JRPG and that seems a little off to me.

Anyway, the first game has you visiting the decaying ruins of Tokyo after you discover that you're actually in a post-apocalyptic future which is pretty drat JRPG.

So the first game was basically SMT4 with added mystery then?Maybe I should find my DS and play them one of these days.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I did not know this from playing eo3. Maybe they assumed I'd played 1 and 2 or I missed some obvious thing mentioned in eo3 somewhere.

Glenn565
Aug 1, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

I did not know this from playing eo3. Maybe they assumed I'd played 1 and 2 or I missed some obvious thing mentioned in eo3 somewhere.

That twist doesn't even come up in 3, because they gave the Yggdrasil Tree and the Labyrinth a different backstory. As far as I know 3 isn't even in the same continuity as 1 and 2(and maybe 4).

You know, as much as story matters in the Etrian series.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

Unless the iOS release of dq8 does very well dq7 will not get a rerelease. Only dq9 has had decent sales outside of japan in the last decade or more.

Yeah, but the funny thing is - Nintendo actually advertised DQ9. With TV commercials and everything.

They're unlikely to put that much effort into a remake, but there's still hope for DQ11.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

So I was thinking of doing a single-race run of FFTA2, and I need a little help figuring how to get it going.

I know I have to open a map area for each race, but I've been thinking it'd take a bit to get a team of 6. I basically have to recruit one, wait for the clan recruitment quest to come up, then pass a year till the next one right?

Any way to make that not painful before I get to Lezaford's house?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Tyty posted:

So I was thinking of doing a single-race run of FFTA2, and I need a little help figuring how to get it going.

I know I have to open a map area for each race, but I've been thinking it'd take a bit to get a team of 6. I basically have to recruit one, wait for the clan recruitment quest to come up, then pass a year till the next one right?

Don't think there's really a way to do that, sadly.

It shouldn't be too painful unless you're doing something like Gria, just horribly tedious. If you have a decently strong two or three units it shouldn't be too bad, and you can do some quests later anyway.

Humes are the easiest to get going since you're guaranteed three of them early on.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

Woah, "lower difficulty?" EO is pretty tough and I'm big on Wizardry and Might & Magic.

But at this point the first person dungeon crawl is solidly Japanese because few in America are making them anymore. Hell, Japan latched onto Ultima and Wizardry more than America. There were Japanese publishing houses releasing updated ports of American RPGs in the 80s and 90s left and right. Dungeon Master 2 was by FTL but was released in Japan 2 years prior to the American release.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Tyty posted:

Cheat the races in if possible.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Bongo Bill posted:

Yeah, but the funny thing is - Nintendo actually advertised DQ9. With TV commercials and everything.

They're unlikely to put that much effort into a remake, but there's still hope for DQ11.

I haven't looked at sales numbers but I remember DQ8 getting talked a lot about amongst American players. I beat it and a roommate who watched me enjoyed it enough to then play and beat it himself, so it always stuck out in my mind as a decent game.

They could do a low-effort rerelease on 3DS and/or PS4/Vita and make decent money. They won't but they could.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

bloodychill posted:

I haven't looked at sales numbers but I remember DQ8 getting talked a lot about amongst American players. I beat it and a roommate who watched me enjoyed it enough to then play and beat it himself, so it always stuck out in my mind as a decent game.

They could do a low-effort rerelease on 3DS and/or PS4/Vita and make decent money. They won't but they could.

They just did a low-effort phone release (iOS and Android, no less), so I'd imagine it's not out of the question assuming it sells well

Legacyspy
Oct 25, 2008

Can some one explain what is wrong with this? I've never played FFVI. I'm playing the android port of FFV and having lots of fun, and that seems fine to me but I have nothing to compare to.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Legacyspy posted:

Can some one explain what is wrong with this? I've never played FFVI. I'm playing the android port of FFV and having lots of fun, and that seems fine to me but I have nothing to compare to.

Basically I think the biggest complaints are they took a game with great sprites and crammed it into this super generic looking RPG maker art style. It just kills a lot of the character of the game. The other iOS ports suffer from the same thing, but they do look good in battle with higher res backgrounds and great looking monsters.

If the overworld stuff doesn't bother you then it's no big deal, but lots of fans of the older releases aren't happy with the new art style.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I always liked this screenshot from the iOS version of V

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

What's even more strange is that All The Bravest practically celebrates the art style of Final Fantasy VI by redrawing a lot of the most iconic characters and enemies from VII to XIII to match it. It must have been a completely different studio that looked at FFVI, thought it was too old-fashioned to be given a straight port like Chrono Trigger, and decided to give it the iOS Mega Man X treatment instead and ruin everything.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

That loving Sned posted:

What's even more strange is that All The Bravest practically celebrates the art style of Final Fantasy VI by redrawing a lot of the most iconic characters and enemies from VII to XIII to match it. It must have been a completely different studio that looked at FFVI, thought it was too old-fashioned to be given a straight port like Chrono Trigger, and decided to give it the iOS Mega Man X treatment instead and ruin everything.

The weirdest part of this is that the character sprites for the 5/6 ports were influenced from TAY/Dimensions, and those sprites were pretty much inferior reworkings of the FF6 sprites.

I wonder why they couldn't have at least done something like the PSP ports' sprites if they wanted to rework them. Though I've seen criticism for them, at least they look clean and sharp, plus they still have the nice redone monster sprites.

Of course then they went with a 3D remake for the freaking After Years of all things so :psyduck:. There's no god drat consistency for their mobile releases.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Someone should really go to Square-Enix HQ and slap everyone who proposes these mobile versions as a good idea.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Aurain posted:

Someone should really go to Square-Enix HQ and slap everyone who proposes these mobile versions as a good idea.

They seem to make pretty good money for the company so good luck.

Now keep buying those IAP games and help them bankroll more overwrought budgetary failures of mainline games.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Captain Mog posted:

I mean, I agree that it's not a big deal at the end of the day because video games but I can see what he's trying to say. They used to be really good and make quality games- in fact, some of the best games out there- but now they're shooting for the least common denominator due to consistently misinterpreting what their fans want. For example, their focus on mobile iOS games comes from a gross (and common) misreading of the gaming industry, which is the assumption that "gamers" now prefer gaming on their cell phones. This isn't true because often those who play games on their phones aren't really gamers in the first place but people looking to kill time while on the train to work or outside of class or something. It just looks that way since so many people have cell phones, many more than do game consoles. Most of those people probably don't even know what Dragon Quest is.

Is it making them money? Probably. Is it what their fans- what the average "Final Fantasy" geek wants? No, totally not.

Mmmmm, I wouldn't be so sure of this. I'm as grognard-y as it gets with RPGs - as far as I'm concerned, FF4 and 6 are lightyears ahead of everything that came after them, in terms of everything besides graphics. (except for Tactics. Fuckin' love Tactics) But that said, I've taken to playing them on my phone quite readily, and it hasn't diminished my enjoyment of the games at all. In fact, it's really nice to be able to play FF6 while I'm doing cardio at the gym (or, you know, at work). I'm sure that there are other "aging" gamers that don't share my point of view here, but I'm equally sure that there are plenty who do.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Mega64 posted:

The weirdest part of this is that the character sprites for the 5/6 ports were influenced from TAY/Dimensions, and those sprites were pretty much inferior reworkings of the FF6 sprites.

I wonder why they couldn't have at least done something like the PSP ports' sprites if they wanted to rework them. Though I've seen criticism for them, at least they look clean and sharp, plus they still have the nice redone monster sprites.

Of course then they went with a 3D remake for the freaking After Years of all things so :psyduck:. There's no god drat consistency for their mobile releases.

I'm not too sure about FFIV PSP's sprites, although that may be because they're more accurate to Amano's artwork than the original ones, but the FFI sprites were brilliant. We even got a preview of what many of the series' best boss battles would look like in this style, since the game had so many bonus dungeons with them.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

That loving Sned posted:

I'm not too sure about FFIV PSP's sprites, although that may be because they're more accurate to Amano's artwork than the original ones, but the FFI sprites were brilliant. We even got a preview of what many of the series' best boss battles would look like in this style, since the game had so many bonus dungeons with them.

You know, I know it was the 80's and everybody was on tons of cocaine at the time, but...how did anybody ever think that the Black Wizard design looked acceptable?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Majorian posted:

You know, I know it was the 80's and everybody was on tons of cocaine at the time, but...how did anybody ever think that the Black Wizard design looked acceptable?

It's like his awesome job transformation just involved pulling his robe up to expose his giant striped granny bloomers.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Majorian posted:

Probably because he looked different back then

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Schwartzcough posted:

It's like his awesome job transformation just involved pulling his robe up to expose his giant striped granny bloomers.

Not much better than the NES one, where it was just 'pulls hood back, now is just some dude in a bathrobe'. White Mage too, pretty much. White Mage still has just 'pulls hood back' in the newer stuff, even.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Legacyspy posted:

The only problem I have with it is that we were promised 3DS remakes of V & VI, which would've been buckets of awesome (although this is coming from someone who loved the remakes of 3 & 4 for the DS and I understand those games are disliked because people think they're too hard or something). Instead we get what is essentially a graphical downgrade for the iPhone. yes, downgrade; SNES-era sprites still look cool while whatever the washed-out RPG Maker-esque poo poo style they used for the iOS versions of V & VI look like garbage.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Captain Mog posted:

The only problem I have with it is that we were promised 3DS remakes of V & VI, which would've been buckets of awesome (although this is coming from someone who loved the remakes of 3 & 4 for the DS and I understand those games are disliked because people think they're too hard or something). Instead we get what is essentially a graphical downgrade for the iPhone. yes, downgrade; SNES-era sprites still look cool while whatever the washed-out RPG Maker-esque poo poo style they used for the iOS versions of V & VI look like garbage.

Were we really promised 3DS remakes though? All remember is them always dancing around the subject, but never confirming anything.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Electric Phantasm posted:

Were we really promised 3DS remakes though? All remember is them always dancing around the subject, but never confirming anything.

Eh, maybe "promised" is sort of a strong word to use but I think the implication was there and they never really denied it. But there were definitely major hints, though.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

That reads a lot like the same "hints" they gave about a FFVII remake.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
If Toonami taught me anything, it is that a boy has the right to dream.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

Help Im Alive posted:

I always liked this screenshot from the iOS version of V

Hahaha. I've never seen a FFV iOS screenshot before, and I can't stop laughing at the timid slack-armed Butz in the corner.

It's like he's waiting to surprise Galuf when he pops out of the meteor.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

You're supposed to be noticing how poorly the meteor tiles fit together.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I wouldn't say that they poorly fit together, honestly.

I'd say they don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Legacyspy posted:

The FFD/TAY people aren't very good at making games and the FF6 layout is like someone vomited several art styles on to a mobile device. The characters are barely remodeled FFD sprites and do not work well for the ff6 overworld. Even if they did, using a 3D model of figaro for it and other locations is both terribly out of place and tacky as poo poo. This also excludes things like tiles for towns or castles that don't line up, something that even kids loving around in RPG Maker or BYOND are capable of not loving up.