Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

My go to with dickheads is to honk then leave it at that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I don't know if I'd even recommend that. I've been brake checked for honking before. People are just loving crazy, and I agree the best thing to do is let them carry on being crazy somewhere else.

One Nut Wonder
Mar 17, 2009
I drive under the assumption that everyone on the road is actively trying to kill me.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

We had the first major rain of the season yesterday (it wasn't even that heavy) and I saw three accidents in a 2 hour drive (one involving 5 cars). We just got done with driving in snow and somehow people have forgotten how to handle rain?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

stevewm posted:

The same can be said for most cars with electric drive... People see a Leaf, Volt, Prius, etc.. and just assume they are going to limp off the line.

As a '17 Volt owner, it's fun doing it.

Yeah, it's an electric motor thing. Building an electric motor big enough to move a vehicle is hard, but if you can do it they're all torque all the time while a mechanical transmission has to take time to speed up. Or something like that.

It's why all the freight trains in America are Diesel-Electric these days. The diesel motor is to just to generate electricity while the electric motors pull.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I believe the train thing also considers fuel economy and tractive mass, otherwise we'd be stuffing turbines in everything for unlimited torque. But I say replace diesel engine mass with thousands of gallons of kerosene for the hungry turbine.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

um excuse me posted:

I believe the train thing also considers fuel economy and tractive mass, otherwise we'd be stuffing turbines in everything for unlimited torque. But I say replace diesel engine mass with thousands of gallons of kerosene for the hungry turbine.

Bring back the Chrysler Turbine and the Union Pacific turbine locomotives.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

On behalf of USS Lexington, CV-2, I demand that we bring back turboelectric propulsion for everything.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

We had the first major rain of the season yesterday (it wasn't even that heavy) and I saw three accidents in a 2 hour drive (one involving 5 cars). We just got done with driving in snow and somehow people have forgotten how to handle rain?

You assume they knew how to handle it in the first place.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
My GF just told me that she has a co-worker that did not know that a 6th gear existed on manual transmissions, so she's been happily driving about in 5th gear all her life, despite having driven cars (like their work car) that has a 6th gear.

:psyduck:

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Apr 2, 2019

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Whether it’s a drizzle or a downpour you can bank on drivers going 25% slower in Cincy

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

nsaP posted:

Whether it’s a drizzle or a downpour you can bank on drivers going 25% slower in Cincy

Ultimately people don't understand what's actually going on when they drive for the most part, so they'll do useless things like slow down on a bridge that might be icy, instead of slowing down prior to crossing the bridge and then driving in consideration of the possibility of low traction. Or they'll slow down considerably in snowy conditions, but decrease following distances as a result, leading to conditions that are more unsafe than if you just went a normal speed and doubled your following distance.

The lack of understanding why you do certain things when driving is a huge impediment to road safety.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

PT6A posted:

Ultimately people don't understand what's actually going on when they drive for the most part, so they'll do useless things like slow down on a bridge that might be icy, instead of slowing down prior to crossing the bridge and then driving in consideration of the possibility of low traction. Or they'll slow down considerably in snowy conditions, but decrease following distances as a result, leading to conditions that are more unsafe than if you just went a normal speed and doubled your following distance.

The lack of understanding why you do certain things when driving is a huge impediment to road safety.

I'll take a light tap slowing from 20mph with low follow distance over a rear-end totaling me at 40mph when the dude behind me didn't get the memo on increasing his follow distance

And for hands-on example of what happens when you don't slow down on an icy viaduct, here's an example from frozen roads on I-95 northbound entering Baltimore. Warning - the driver didn't make it, although you can't really see much detail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9F0RvfFJHnM

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Devor posted:

I'll take a light tap slowing from 20mph with low follow distance over a rear-end totaling me at 40mph when the dude behind me didn't get the memo on increasing his follow distance

Well, yeah, going fast with an inadequate stopping distance is undoubtedly still worse, but simply going slow is not by itself enough to maintain road safety.

Mainly I'm pissed off at the people that tailgate me or cut me off in wintery conditions after I've slowed in order to maintain a safe following distance. Just overtake if you feel my speed is inadequate!

I've noticed the worst driving is always in marginal conditions, never in solidly awful conditions. In the worst conditions, I've noticed people tend to drive very safely and with due consideration, it's only in the edge cases where you have pricks who have no clue how to drive. I've driven in some rear end-puckering conditions, and the behaviour of my fellow motorists in those conditions usually makes me feel very comfortable compared with even an average day.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

MrOnBicycle posted:

My GF just told me that she has a co-worker that did not know that a 6th gear existed on manual transmission, so she's happily driving about in 5th gear all her life, despite having driven cars (like their work car) that has a 6th gear.

:psyduck:

If people won't look at the gear pattern on their shift knob, then imagine what else they're not paying attention to.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Balliver Shagnasty posted:

If people won't look at the gear pattern on their shift knob, then imagine what else they're not paying attention to.

I look forward to someone used to a 6-speed making a 5-speed transmission poo poo itself after attempting to shift to R at highway speed :v:

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

PT6A posted:

I look forward to someone used to a 6-speed making a 5-speed transmission poo poo itself after attempting to shift to R at highway speed :v:
For a brief period in my life I had two vehicles, an F-350 with a 5-speed and a Trans-Am with a 6-speed, only a very dedicated idiot would manage to ignore the screams from the transmission enough to complete the shift into reverse at highway speeds.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Bimmer owners will have to chime in on this one...the E36 M3 was quite susceptible to an errant downshift that would overrev the engine to pieces.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Colostomy Bag posted:

Bimmer owners will have to chime in on this one...the E36 M3 was quite susceptible to an errant downshift that would overrev the engine to pieces.
That didn't have anything to do with reverse, though, and it didn't have a 6 speed?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Krakkles posted:

That didn't have anything to do with reverse, though, and it didn't have a 6 speed?

No, something about a weak shift gate.

To get back to what you are talking about, hell if you can you force a manual into reverse at speed...cripes, that is impressive.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Devor posted:

same. regardless of weather

*sigh*

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Every five speed manual I've owned had an interlock that prevented fifth to reverse shifts. I thought they were pretty universal, but I guess not.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Today I saw a new beetle painted up like Herbie. :stare:

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Colostomy Bag posted:

Mazda posted:

Beginning today, all unsold MX-5 (ND) vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission must not be delivered to customers until the recall repair is completed.

Concern Outline:
In affected vehicles equipped with automatic transmissions, electrical noise in the range signal may be detected while driving in “D” range (including “Manual” mode). Due to inappropriate control logic of the clutch control software in the Transmission Control Module (TCM), this signal noise may cause the vehicle to unexpectedly downshift, causing an abrupt deceleration of the drive wheels.
A sudden decrease in the speed of the drive wheels while driving may negatively affect the directional stability of the vehicle, increasing the risk of losing vehicle control and potentially resulting in a crash. No crashes or injuries related to the subject condition have been reported to date.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
This thread just goes and goes...

https://twitter.com/Mrhflrs/status/1112924566312050690

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Good to know my adrenal system is still working.

But big gently caress you to the shithead that decided to enter the road when I'm doing 50 and am under 50 meters from the intersection. I dropped anchor hard and still couldn't stop fast enough so I ended up straddling the line to the next lane over. By the time I matched speed my front bumper was at their side mirror.

Doofus never even acknowledged my presence, they lucky I didn't push their spare tire through their rear end in a top hat.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

loving incredible

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You know you've hit it big when bored news channels start pinging you for permission to use your videos.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

xzzy posted:

Good to know my adrenal system is still working.

But big gently caress you to the shithead that decided to enter the road when I'm doing 50 and am under 50 meters from the intersection. I dropped anchor hard and still couldn't stop fast enough so I ended up straddling the line to the next lane over. By the time I matched speed my front bumper was at their side mirror.

Doofus never even acknowledged my presence, they lucky I didn't push their spare tire through their rear end in a top hat.

Yeah, I had an idiot pull something similar on me on the highway the other day. I was doing 80 in the left of four lanes having just passed a bunch of folks and was about to move back over to one of the middle lanes when I saw two cars getting on the highway ahead of me at slow speed. The guy in front was probably doing 50, the guy behind moved to the right middle lane to pass him, but the guy in front also moved to that lane, so he moved to the left middle lane, and the guy in front did the same. By this point I was about 50 feet behind the guy in the back, and I knew he was going to move into my lane, so I laid on my horn and stepped on the brake. Sure enough, he starts sliding into my lane doing maybe 55 while I'm still probably at 75. I drop anchor completely and come within about a foot of hitting his back left corner. I continue to hold the horn down for about 10 seconds just to make sure he gets the point, at which point he's past the slow guy and moves back over. Of course he doesn't look at me or acknowledge my existence as I pass him. Their transition from the on-ramp to my lane took maybe 5 seconds.

Also holy poo poo that loving parking thread.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
A generation of drivers who never saw that Seinfeld episode. For shame.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

Pro Click right here.

I've seen pettiness, but this is taking it to a spectacular level

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Had some dipshit try to merge into me at a dual turn lane. He was next to me at the light, when he started completeing it I was not in front of him, where did he think I went? As if he even checked his mirrors... Jammed the brakes and hit the horn, his passenger jumped about a foot in her seat and whipped around to see what the noise was.

mungtor
May 3, 2005

Yeah, I hate me too.
Nap Ghost

Colostomy Bag posted:

No, something about a weak shift gate.

To get back to what you are talking about, hell if you can you force a manual into reverse at speed...cripes, that is impressive.

It was soft transmission bushings combined with the shift mechanism being mounted to the body and connected with linkages presumably for NVH. See also one of the reasons the Asin transmission Mustangs are notchy and unpleasant.

In the M3, it would allow the transmission to torque on the bushings during hard deceleration (eg, driving schools that totally weren't timed events) but the shifter stayed in the same position. The money shift was dropping from 5th to 2nd instead of 4th because the trans was rotated relative to the body.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Devor posted:

As the victim of far too many rear-endings.... please, just total my car. loving do it. It'll save us both a lot of trouble. Finish what you start.

not actually a recommendation to drive unsafely

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

If a car is backing into a spot, you may not pull in frontwards, it's an ungodly abomination.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

PT6A posted:

If a car is backing into a spot, you may not pull in frontwards, it's an ungodly abomination.

If a collision occurs in that scenario, who is at fault in your jurisdiction?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
A guy in a work van tried to jump a line of construction traffic yesterday when the parking lane was empty for a little bit. He ended up next to me and started pushing in but unfortunately for him I drive a suburban. When he realized I wasn’t gonna let him he actually stopped before our front corners contacted but it wasn’t the case for our mirrors. I’ve got electric ones tho so I just kept cruising in the traffic while casually hitting the button to fold my mirror back out as I watched him getting out of his van and folding his back in to place. He ended up getting back in line behind where he started from what I could see in my rear view.

Usually I take the zen attitude that people have talked about here but this time, eh. An rear end in a top hat met another rear end in a top hat.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

That'll buff out.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

3m buffing compound is incredible if you can find it locally. Purple bottle stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

toplitzin posted:

That'll buff out.

Perhaps the first time uttered on the internet where it could be true.