Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

A number of people I know have a Oneplus phone because it's cheap. That's the only reason. They think it's a good phone because of the specs. They don't listen to me :negative:

Well oneplus 3 was 50% cheaper than a Galaxy S7. Same/better hardware with better software. Even Samsung's phones have bugs... I don't know what phone would have been better for 400€. Pixel definitely is not 400€ (and Google doesn't even sell them here).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Whenever I hear 'ac adapter'/'phone' ~exploded on a bed~ I can't help but think someone was stupid enough to lay on it or otherwise deny it room to radiate heat, and it's their own damned fault.

Considering how hot my Z5 (yay snapdragon 810) gets, I'm still mildly surprised it hasn't combusted just from sitting on my desk.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Ihmemies posted:

Well oneplus 3 was 50% cheaper than a Galaxy S7. Same/better hardware with better software. Even Samsung's phones have bugs... I don't know what phone would have been better for 400€. Pixel definitely is not 400€ (and Google doesn't even sell them here).

"Even Samsung's phones have bugs..." makes it sound like they're perceived as being good.

The Moto G series is the go to recommendation of you can't do a Pixel.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

But moto G is like 200€. The specs aren't even nearly in the same ballpark, G is a low-end phone. Also I don't buy lenovo, they push too much spy/malware with their products.

I know it can be a difficult concept, but Oneplus 3 is actually a decent phone for the price.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Ihmemies posted:

But moto G is like 200€. The specs aren't even nearly in the same ballpark, G is a low-end phone. Also I don't buy lenovo, they push too much spy/malware with their products.

I know it can be a difficult concept, but Oneplus 3 is actually a decent phone for the price.

Compared to anything but Shenzhen shitboxes, it really isn't. Considering the responsiveness of the Moto G is much, much better than the OnePlus, it's remarkable how incredibly bad it is. That is to say that even if you purposely tried to make a terrible phone with that set of commodity hardware, you'd have a difficult time getting it to be as poorly performing as OnePlus has managed. And that's before you get to their customer service woes.

But keep shipping on specs and please, keep us updated on how that works out for you. :)

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

I'd rather have a Note 7 than any of the One+ phones, for I will know the warm embrace of death when it combusts in my pocket.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

LastInLine posted:

Compared to anything but Shenzhen shitboxes, it really isn't. Considering the responsiveness of the Moto G is much, much better than the OnePlus, it's remarkable how incredibly bad it is. That is to say that even if you purposely tried to make a terrible phone with that set of commodity hardware, you'd have a difficult time getting it to be as poorly performing as OnePlus has managed. And that's before you get to their customer service woes.

But keep shipping on specs and please, keep us updated on how that works out for you. :)

Yeah, ultimately a phone is something you have to use.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Oh boy the stable version on nouget just came out for the OP3T.

I'm so excited I get to adb side load the non-beta version just hours after going to the beta to fix a critical bug and redo my entire phone's setup

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Nitrousoxide posted:

Oh boy the stable version on nouget just came out for the OP3T.

I'm so excited I get to adb side load the non-beta version just hours after going to the beta to fix a critical bug and redo my entire phone's setup

You loving idiot

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Talking about the price premium of the Pixel over the OnePlus while in the same sentence defending the price premium of the OnePlus over the Moto G is a bit of cognitive dissonance.

There are a LOT more tangible real world benefits to that Pixel price premium over the OnePlus than the OnePlus has over a $200 phone like the G4.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

FAUXTON posted:

You loving idiot

Won't deny this.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

The hardware in the G4 is inferior to the 3t though...

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

oh no

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

6gb of RAM that initially couldn't hold more thana couple apps in memory because of the poo poo software optimizations and still can't scroll competently compared to the inferior hardware of the g4

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
BUT THIS NUMBER BIGGER THAN THAT NUMBER

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

One plus one equals a deuce

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

sirbeefalot posted:

BUT THIS NUMBER BIGGER THAN THAT NUMBER

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nitrousoxide nervously punches the final number into his 2016 phone purchase spreadsheet and watches his computer objectively determine the best phone...

"This is it!" he shouts while reading the box, "The OnePlus 3t! There is simply no better for the money!"

After it arrives, he launches Awful.apk, ready to tell those goons about his purchase. He slides his finger down the glass. Moments later, the list follows. It's only now that he begins to realize what he's done

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I ended up just flashing the OTA from an internal package instead of using ADB sideload because it wouldn't send over the OTA file and I didn't feel like using fastboot to manually flash the various partitions.

It didn't clear my user data.

Hopefully this super dirty flash doesn't have adverse affects!

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Hopefully this super dirty flash doesn't have adverse affects!

New thread title!

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I can't imagine using ADB/fastboot in The Year of Our Lord 2017.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Ihmemies posted:

You're exactly the problem, you're going by specs. Oneplus phones are piles of trash, if you can't afford a Pixel (even on contract) then get a Moto G. Do not buy a OnePlus. Even an S7 has a better user experience than a Oneplus.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

CLAM DOWN posted:

Do not buy a OnePlus. Even an S7 has a better user experience than a Oneplus.

Something something Never Settle.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Just saw an Android Central article talking about chargers and discovered that both OnePlus and Huawei have their own proprietary standards as well.

We're so hosed on charging.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Yeah, this whole charger thing is ridiculous. I has to look at a gd spreadsheet to find a short A-C cable to use with my Amazon battery pack, but I'll just shell out the cash for official Google cables if I need more long ones.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

WSJ got a copy of Samsung's report.

http://www.androidcentral.com/galaxy-note-7-had-two-separate-battery-defects

This is fantastic. It was caused by two separate issues. The first batch was because the battery was physically too large for the case. The second batch was a manufacturing defect trying to ramp up production to compensate for losing the capacity of the first batch.

It's like someone running down a hill, tripping, and then just faceplanting as they overcorrected the recovery.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Protocol7 posted:

Do explain?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

bull3964 posted:

WSJ got a copy of Samsung's report.

http://www.androidcentral.com/galaxy-note-7-had-two-separate-battery-defects

This is fantastic. It was caused by two separate issues. The first batch was because the battery was physically too large for the case. The second batch was a manufacturing defect trying to ramp up production to compensate for losing the capacity of the first batch.

It's like someone running down a hill, tripping, and then just faceplanting as they overcorrected the recovery.

It's ok, I'm sure they'll get it right next time!

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

You're exactly the problem, you're going by specs. Oneplus phones are piles of trash, if you can't afford a Pixel (even on contract) then get a Moto G. Do not buy a OnePlus. Even an S7 has a better user experience than a Oneplus.

Ok. Maybe next time try using the phone before trash talking about it in the internet.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

FAUXTON posted:

One plus one equals a deuce
Thread title.

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

bull3964 posted:

Just saw an Android Central article talking about chargers and discovered that both OnePlus and Huawei have their own proprietary standards as well.

How in the hell is charging a battery so goddamned difficult? :psyduck: I shouldn't have to do this much research just to buy a loving USB cable.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Ihmemies posted:

Ok. Maybe next time try using the phone before trash talking about it in the internet.

Oh boy. That's not a good comeback. I have used OnePlus phones, brosef.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Ihmemies posted:

Ahahahahahaha

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

bull3964 posted:

I think the one plus thing was known previously because they made a big deal about it at launch... Not surprised about Huawei though lol

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Ihmemies posted:

The dude owns the best phone ever made and has used a bunch of others, he's not wrong. The best thing is that the best phone was heavily criticized prior to release for... suboptimal specs!

Turns out the thing that counts is user experience, not numbers.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I've owned too many phones and have no plans to stop :jeb:

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Protocol7 posted:

I used ADB to sideload the January security update to my Nexus 6P because I'm an impatient goon and couldn't wait for the OTA update to get pushed to my phone.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Ihmemies posted:

Pretend I posted that video of the lovely scrolling here

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I think some people here were complaining about this or a similar problem: Google has fixed Android 7.1.1's in-car Bluetooth issue on the Nexus 6P and Nexus 5X

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

azurite posted:

So, I have a discoloration on the center-left side of my Pixel's screen. I thought it might've been my imagination or the diffraction of the glass or whatever, but nope. I had the screen on low brightness with a gray screen and there it was: a big, dark blotch.

Time to talk to the Google Store. :suicide:

Here's a follow-up that no one asked for, but we're on the Oneplus phase of the Android Thread Cycle, so hey:

Getting a replacement was easy-peasy. Requested a support call, got one promptly. I explained the situation and they two-day (?) shipped a new replacement. Slapped their shipping labels on the replacement's box, and I'm about to drop the "bad" phone in the mailbox. Easy.

Here's the issue, if you were curious.