Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

If I was dumb enough to daily a mid-engined car, what would the most livable one be?

Cayman? C8 Corvette? The new Lotus?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

KillHour posted:

If I was dumb enough to daily a mid-engined car, what would the most livable one be?

Definitely the C8. Plenty of cargo space, magna-ride suspension can be set to not be too harsh, working a/c, etc. etc.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

KillHour posted:

I'd go Cayman because you can still get a stick, but it'd likely be more expensive in the long run unless you're planning to do most of the work yourself. A peek on Rennlist says $625 annual service and $1300 to replace spark plugs, and that was years ago. https://rennlist.com/forums/981-forum/1085867-1300-for-spark-plug-replacement.html?ispreloading=1

Corvette's going to burn more gas but have longer service intervals, cheaper domestic service networks and have always been set up to be a daily driver.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The SO has decided that she doesn't want a GM product (even though the Z06 is going to be sick). Also, the Lotus comes in a manual as well. If we went Porsche, I think she has her heart set on the Spider (or at least the GT4).

We wouldn't be keeping past the warranty. I get car-ADD.

Edit: And yes, I would be driving it in the winter in Buffalo. For some reason, my M4 is just too... practical? Convenient? Good?

It's great but it's leased and I've always wanted a mid engine car

KillHour fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jul 18, 2022

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

Corvette's going to burn more gas but have longer service intervals, cheaper domestic service networks and have always been set up to be a daily driver.

Not sure what you're on about with the "daily driver" thing. Porsche basically popularized the "sports car you can drive every day and take to the track on the weekend". Like even to the point of having the stupid simplest brake pads to change to make swapping from street to track pads easy while swapping your street and track wheels.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

KillHour posted:

The SO has decided that she doesn't want a GM product (even though the Z06 is going to be sick). Also, the Lotus comes in a manual as well. If we went Porsche, I think she has her heart set on the Spider (or at least the GT4).

We wouldn't be keeping past the warranty. I get car-ADD.

Edit: And yes, I would be driving it in the winter in Buffalo. For some reason, my M4 is just too... practical? Convenient? Good?

It's great but it's leased and I've always wanted a mid engine car

How did your math work out on the M4 lease? I thought it would be one of those cases where you would make out like a bandit buying the lease out, if allowed, because the buy-out price assumed much more depreciation than actually occurred in the previous 3 years.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
More for service support than for the purchase experience:

The Lotus dealer network is spotty at best. A quick Google indicates the place in Buffalo is OK but there aren't many reviews and it's colocated with a Nissan dealership.
The Porsche store will rip you off but they'll probably call you sir and even if the people are insane right wingers they will have been trained to not try to tell you about replacement theory.
The GM store will be a GM store, so the experience will be terrible, the tech/lot porter will thrash your car, and the TV will be blasting Fox News or if you're unlucky, OAN. This wouldn't matter normally but you will have to spend hours in there trying to get them to do their jobs correctly.

Twerk from Home posted:

I'd go Cayman because you can still get a stick, but it'd likely be more expensive in the long run unless you're planning to do most of the work yourself. A peek on Rennlist says $625 annual service and $1300 to replace spark plugs, and that was years ago. https://rennlist.com/forums/981-forum/1085867-1300-for-spark-plug-replacement.html?ispreloading=1

weird criteria when considering a midengined sports car lease where the car will be under warranty

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Inner Light posted:

How did your math work out on the M4 lease? I thought it would be one of those cases where you would make out like a bandit buying the lease out, if allowed, because the buy-out price assumed much more depreciation than actually occurred in the previous 3 years.

Don't know yet because the lease isn't up. But even if I make money buying it out, I will likely immediately sell it via third party buyout so I don't owe taxes. I'm just starting to think about it now because tracking down something like a GT4 allocation is probably going to require I get in line at least a year before I actually need it.

Motronic posted:

Not sure what you're on about with the "daily driver" thing. Porsche basically popularized the "sports car you can drive every day and take to the track on the weekend". Like even to the point of having the stupid simplest brake pads to change to make swapping from street to track pads easy while swapping your street and track wheels.

gently caress I wish the Focus was like this

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Jalopink did an article on this guy's Porsche daily driver with 300,000 miles on it, for sale for $30k, their impressions were very positive

https://www.edmunds.com/porsche/911/2005/vin/WP0AB29915S740258/?radius=50

https://jalopnik.com/what-do-300-000-miles-do-to-a-997-generation-porsche-91-1849175331

Seems to me like pretty much the perfect daily driver mid/rear engine choice. If we ever end up somewhere with two or more covered parking spaces, a 911 is going to be on my short list once we move beyond the "every kid needs a car seat" phase

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Let's put it this way, there's a reason that the ticket for a cheap Porsche 20-30 years ago was a mid-'70s aircooled 911 that already had 150-200k on the odometer.

I'm sure part of it was the sheer dedication of 911 owners willing to shovel money into the car to keep it going, but let's be fair - most mid-'70s cars were not racking up that kind of mileage and ending up in a state where they were still usable.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
Having dailied a 2014 Cayman S for awhile, it’s perfectly livable for every day driving. The c8 would probably be more comfortable as a daily, though. The 2014 Cayman S I had, at least, was a firm ride no matter what you did, but cargo space is fine and I disagree about upkeep price. Even if you didnt have a warranty, normal wear and tear stuff like brakes, oil, air filters, etc, are perfectly easy to replace yourself. The only big ticket items are drive belt/spark plugs every 40k which requires you to get the car on a lift and take the engine cover off. OEM parts are not as bad as you would expect, either, if it doesn’t deal with electronics (I had to replace my side rocker panels, for instance, and both panels came in under 300$).

I don’t know if the 718 caymans have more creature comforts, but the 981 didnt have adaptive cruise, backup cameras, etc, if those are some things you care about

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I can't imagine a Corvette as a daily driver. The interior sucks, although I guess the C8 is better than the C7 although I'm not sure by how much. Apparently the cupholders are actually usable now

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

KillHour posted:

Audi R8?

The right answer is Porsche.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hadlock posted:

I can't imagine a Corvette as a daily driver. The interior sucks, although I guess the C8 is better than the C7 although I'm not sure by how much. Apparently the cupholders are actually usable now

The interior is weird, ugly (subjective) and poorly laid out but it will be fine for as long as a GM interior is fine. Meaning by the first year you'll at least have random squeaks.

Meanwhile I just ran 300+ miles on dirt over 2 days with a porsche old enough to vote in calm, quiet comfort.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Motronic posted:

Meanwhile I just ran 300+ miles on dirt over 2 days with a porsche old enough to vote in calm, quiet comfort.

I spent way too long trying to figure out what age one begins voting in calm, quiet comfort.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Explosionface posted:

I spent way too long trying to figure out what age one begins voting in calm, quiet comfort.

this is the future democRATS want with their mail in ballots

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

But what if I buy a Porsche and everyone thinks I'm a dentist!?

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

KillHour posted:

You charge them $40 every time they see you

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

KillHour posted:

Tell them to be sure to floss and then do a burnout.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

KillHour posted:

Has anyone said MR2 yet

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I remember when I almost bought a lotus Elise for 20k as a daily driver. Thank god the seller backed out what a loving miserable existence that would have been

Instead I bought a Miata that I kept for 6 years :allears:

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

ethanol posted:

I remember when I almost bought a lotus Elise for 20k as a daily driver. Thank god the seller backed out what a loving miserable existence that would have been

Instead I bought a Miata that I kept for 6 years :allears:

Nah. We had an Exige with a stage II exhaust as our daily for a while, and it was glorious, summer or winter. True, you had to wear earplugs for drives longer than an hour, but it still didn’t keep us from driving from Luxembourg to Ireland, or from using is as our wedding car. I was looking forward to every grocery run.

At least once a week, I feel a pang of longing, and it’s the only car I really miss driving; more than our 911, or our Cayman - both of which we sold, whereas the Exige has been sitting in storage for 5 years back in Europe now.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I mean it totally depends on where you are. Here in New England driving a low clearance stiff suspension sportscar with a one piece fiber glass front end around every day is not advisable.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

ethanol posted:

I mean it totally depends on where you are. Here in New England driving a low clearance stiff suspension sportscar with a one piece fiber glass front end around every day is not advisable.

Trust me when I say that I’ve never lived in a place with roads that were good enough for an Exige. Dodging potholes, manhole covers and even ants on the road for that matter, becomes second nature and a necessity. The good news is that most of the time, you can swerve within your lane, the Exige being so absolutely tiny, if somewhat wide:

I’d agree that sharp angles for driveways and parking garages remain an issue. We held up an entire ferry for about 15 minutes once. A lot of US driveways look suspect.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Worked with a guy who dailied a new Lotus, forget what model, to a chemical plant in Illinois. Entryway was a railroad level crossing, beside the absolute roadway decay in an area with declining population and taxes and frequent ice storms and freezing events made to tear apart the road.

Also he was like 6'5" so watching him get in and out was a real riddle of physics unfolding before your eyes.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

ATAIBFC

I have a conundrum. I'm at the point in my life where I'd like a convertible to drive places when I don't need my minivan full of 5+ ppl or bikes or kyaks, or lumber that I can use for I don't know 4-5 months out of the year.
Middle Tldr: Am I an idiot for considering the Solara V6?

My Pool existed of Miata. Then my wife was like well Miatas are cute but what about a Mark 1 Cabriolet (not cabrio), but then she's throwing around words like "maybe the kids can be in the back seats.. which also crosses out the cabriolet. I owned one.. the rear seats are LOL. THEN a new contender came into the world. There's a local dealer with a solid deal on a Solara Sport convert (V6 3.3 l) in my area. (2007 108k miles, $9k) My thought is go in and say 9k out the door for tax tags etc. AND I will walk out the door if your loving finance guy tries to sell me the $3,000 extended warranty and simonize for an hour.

My wife's dream: Cruising down Routes instead of highways with the top down and through the countryside in a cool old looking car. Oh and maybe the kids will be in it sometimes. Not super interested in driving a manual transmission.
My dream: neat little stick shift sportscar with a top that goes down to commute, drive zippedly around, and sometimes take out of town.

Here's my thoughts
Miata: Then answer is always maita.. but UGH there's some issues.
I'm 6' I fit in NC but NA and NB is rough I'm slouching, and the steering wheel would need a spacer in the NC. I'm not a fan of the NC hood, or if I chose an NB I'm going to have to go manual transmission. the NC at least has some pep with the AT in sport. Plus I'm not really sure how I'm going to feel driving 4 hrs in.

Cabriolets: Super cool, I cannot own an auto as they are slow as poo poo. (1.8l tied to a 3speed 80's auto no thanks). The 35+ year old 1.8 engines are starting to get pretty tired especially as more and more start approaching that 100k mile range.
I have owned a 10 year old one in like 99 it was cool. I know how tiny the back seat is (Great for a 10 min trip to ice cream store.. after that LOL) and my nearly 6ft 14 year old is going to have a hard time back there. In many examples the interiors are generally beat to poo poo (Especially the "leather" ones) and difficult to get, $$$$, or you end up putting something else in there for the fronts (which is a dick pain)

other options
Mustang: Reliability is scary
Mini: Reliability is scary. Tiny as hell everywhere.

Enter the Solara.
It's not REALLLY what I want.. but would hold me over for a Miata/z3 2 seater when the kids are older. The V6 seems to be able to get out of it's own weight over the 155hp i4. At the end of the day it's a Camry coupe with a drop top. The body panels are not going to be easy if someone hits me. I am concerned that the one I'm looking at has had a Timing belt done at 105k. The V6 is a belt and Non interference so it's not the end of the world if it goes but I'm not going to want to drive it to failure.

Another plus it's an auto, my wife can and will probably drive it so it will end up getting more use than a manual Miata /cabriolet.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jul 19, 2022

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

tater_salad posted:

ATAIBFC

I have a conundrum. I'm at the point in my life where I'd like a convertible to drive places when I don't need my minivan full of 5+ ppl or bikes or kyaks, or lumber that I can use for I don't know 4-5 months out of the year.
Middle Tldr: Am I an idiot for considering the Solara V6?

My Pool existed of Miata. Then my wife was like well Miatas are cute but what about a Mark 1 Cabriolet (not cabrio), but then she's throwing around words like "maybe the kids can be in the back seats.. which also crosses out the cabriolet. I owned one.. the rear seats are LOL. THEN a new contender came into the world. There's a local dealer with a solid deal on a Solara Sport convert (V6 3.3 l) in my area. (108k miles, $9k dollars)

My wife's dream: Cruising down Routes instead of highways with the top down and through the countryside in a cool old looking car. Oh and maybe the kids will be in it sometimes. Not super interestd in driving a manual transmission.
My dream: neat little stick shift sportscar with a top that goes down to commute, drive zippedly around, and sometimes take out of town.

Here's my thoughts
Miata: Then answer is always maita.. but UGH there's some issues.
I'm 6' I fit in NC but NA and NB is rough I'm slouching, and the steering wheel would need a spacer in the NC. I'm not a fan of the NC hood, or if I chose an NB I'm going to have to go manual transmission. the NC at least has some pep with the AT in sport. Plus I'm not really sure how I'm going to feel driving 4 hrs in.

Cabriolets: Super cool, I cannot own an auto as they are slow as poo poo. (1.8l tied to a 3speed 80's auto no thanks). The 35+ year old 1.8 engines are starting to get pretty tired especially as more and more start approaching that 100k mile range.
I have owned a 10 year old one in like 99 it was cool. I know how tiny the back seat is (Great for a 10 min trip to ice cream store.. after that LOL) and my nearly 6ft 14 year old is going to have a hard time back there. In many examples the interiors are generally beat to poo poo (Especially the "leather" ones) and difficult to get, $$$$, or you end up putting something else in there for the fronts (which is a dick pain)

other options
Mustang: Reliability is scary
Mini: Reliability is scary. Tiny as hell everywhere.

Enter the Solara.
It's not REALLLY what I want.. but would hold me over for a Miata/z3 2 seater when the kids are older. The V6 seems to be able to get out of it's own weight over the 155hp i4. At the end of the day it's a Camry coupe with a drop top. The body panels are not going to be easy if someone hits me. I am concerned that the one I'm looking at has had a Timing belt done at 105k. The V6 is a belt and Non interference so it's not the end of the world if it goes but I'm not going to want to drive it to failure.

Another plus it's an auto, my wife can and will probably drive it so it will end up getting more use than a manual Miata /cabriolet.

This is how we solved a very similar problem: reliable, surprisingly comfortable, surprisingly quick. We also learned that we drive maybe about 1K miles per year with the top down, so it’s perfect for ~wafting~, and the kids fit in the back.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

That little "peace sign" on the front makes me wonder about the world Reliable :)

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

This is probably the only time the answer is a 996 cabrio tiptronic

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
So automatic, 4 seat, convertible that's also reliable? There is nothing better than the Toyota. Congratulations on your brand used Solara.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

mustang reliability is fine, in my opinion that's the clear answer to the question asked

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Mustang is also an answer. But I read things like 'the v6 spark plugs disintegrate / get stuck and it's a 800-grand to get em out because you won't want it to happen in driveway. And was like welp.

Also my wife also said 'cant look like 40 year old is having a mid life'.but there has to be some kind of compromises

Edit: I'm not antsy to own another Ford. I have had a few. And I don't like broken springs at 60k or new wheel bearings at 40k or 'what month was your car made because if its and even number you need this brake pad.'

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jul 19, 2022

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

morothar posted:

Trust me when I say that I’ve never lived in a place with roads that were good enough for an Exige. Dodging potholes, manhole covers and even ants on the road for that matter, becomes second nature and a necessity. The good news is that most of the time, you can swerve within your lane, the Exige being so absolutely tiny, if somewhat wide:

I’d agree that sharp angles for driveways and parking garages remain an issue. We held up an entire ferry for about 15 minutes once. A lot of US driveways look suspect.

The only thing that would stop me from dailying one is the fiberglass shell, it seems like I find a new dent or scratch every few months of parking and driving in the city.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

tater_salad posted:

Mustang is also an answer. But I read things like 'the v6 spark plugs disintegrate / get stuck and it's a 800-grand to get em out because you won't want it to happen in driveway. And was like welp.

Also my wife also said 'cant look like 40 year old is having a mid life'.but there has to be some kind of compromises

Edit: I'm not antsy to own another Ford. I have had a few. And I don't like broken springs at 60k or new wheel bearings at 40k or 'what month was your car made because if its and even number you need this brake pad.'

i would rather deal with all of that poo poo than drive a solara but you do you

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Convertible PT cruiser?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Loan Dusty Road posted:

Convertible PT cruiser?

Might as well throw Sebring on the list too.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

If we're going to talk about mid aughts American convertibles....

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

tater_salad posted:

That little "peace sign" on the front makes me wonder about the world Reliable :)

tater_salad posted:

Why are you so obsessed with reliability, when it sounds like you are buying a fun weekend car and not put particularily high mileage on it?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I think you're thinking of the spark plugs getting stuck in the old v8.

At this point, a mustang ten years or less is going to be a car comparable to any import in terms of reliability, so the only question is if you actually like them (and it's fine not to).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

Go drive some cars? There's going to be a big difference between a BMW or Mercedes 4 seater, a 911, a Mustang, and a Camry.

A BMW 3 or 4 series convertible would also make sense here.