Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

General Venereal posted:

Would have loved to, but coconut is one of those fruit considered "exotic". Safe fruit are strawberries, rhubarbs, anything that can be grown in European soil except for apples. Should have explained the flour allergy a bit better though, the person in question is only allergic to the type of flour that only consists of the innermost part of the kernel - bit of google translating calls it white flour. Grains in this case means whole, unprocessed grains.

Your words, or theirs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Final Call
Nov 15, 2005

nuru posted:

Your words, or theirs?

Mine, because their words were "no apples, pears or exotic fruit". I'm guessing their definition of exotic is anything not locally grown.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

That seems more neurotic than an actual allergy but I guess it's your problem since you're the only cooking. Good luck, the orange cake linked earlier is good, I've had something similar.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

General Venereal posted:

Would have loved to, but coconut is one of those fruit considered "exotic". Safe fruit are strawberries, rhubarbs, anything that can be grown in European soil except for apples. Should have explained the flour allergy a bit better though, the person in question is only allergic to the type of flour that only consists of the innermost part of the kernel - bit of google translating calls it white flour. Grains in this case means whole, unprocessed grains.

This sounds fantastic, and really versatile! Gonna try a few versions today. :)

No idea :( It's slightly frustrating to have your hands tied - but at the same time, it's a pretty interesting challenge!

What about soy or almond milk?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Dogwood Fleet posted:

How long would a cake like that keep? I have an aunt out in Washington who has celiac and I haven't sent her anything for Christmas in a long time.

I have done cupcakes with this recipe, and they lasted about a week at room temperature.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Using leftover chocolate ganache to spread on two toasted brown sugar cinnamon pop-tarts, topped with a sliced banana and course sea salt. Culinary masterpiece.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

Using leftover chocolate ganache to spread on two toasted brown sugar cinnamon pop-tarts, topped with a sliced banana and course sea salt. Culinary masterpiece.

:captainpop: you're a monster and I love it

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

I am an amateur cook to say the least. I recently used my WM frying pan to pan sear some tuna steaks, but I had the head *way* too high. The oil and tuna steak combo instantly caused the stains that are associated with using too high heat on stainless cookware. It looks like burned on food, but it's become a part of the metal and no amount of SOS pad + comet scrubbing is doing anything.

I recently read that Barkeepers Friend is good for this very issue, but we don't have any of that locally. I was looking around my local store and saw Brasso, which is also a metal polish just like BKF. Will Brasso do the same thing for removing high heat stains from my SS cookware, or do I *need* to use BKF?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Brasso works differently from BKF. Maybe it will work but I'm kinda doubtful.

Instead of SOS pads I would highly recommend steel wool.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
I think BKF and Cameo are comparable, but not brasso. I think All-Clad specifically recommends cameo. Amazon?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
If you want something chemical, then Sodium Hydroxide (aka Caustic Soda or Lye) is the nuclear option. As long as you don't heat the stuff up, it won't damage stainless steel, though it is absurdly corrosive, so you should be careful with it. It should be commonly available, I can get it in the supermarket as drain unblocker.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
You can also use vinegar- drape some washcloths soaked in vinegar over the stains for a couple of hours, rinse, then try your scrubbing again. Or you can make a vinegar/cream of tartar paste and rub that on the stains, and let it sit for a couple of hours, rinse and scrub.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
If you have a chinese grocery around you, they often sell vinegar in %25 acidity in small glass bottles. I have no idea what the chinese do with it, but it's a fantastic household cleaner, and perfect for nuking out stains and hard water deposits.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Mr. Wiggles posted:

If you have a chinese grocery around you, they often sell vinegar in %25 acidity in small glass bottles. I have no idea what the chinese do with it, but it's a fantastic household cleaner, and perfect for nuking out stains and hard water deposits.

it's for the sweet and sour pork of course. :v:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Best time & temp for baking a potato? Or is it not worth the precision?

Enkor
Dec 17, 2005
That is not it at all.

C-Euro posted:

Best time & temp for baking a potato? Or is it not worth the precision?

Size matters, but 60-120 minutes at 350 is what I usually figure. Less cooking is fluffier, more cooking is crustier. Just depends on what you want!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Enkor posted:

Size matters, but 60-120 minutes at 350 is what I usually figure. Less cooking is fluffier, more cooking is crustier. Just depends on what you want!

I'm mixing it into a soup TBH, so fluffier sounds better. Thanks.

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

I did this thing where I boiled water and vinegar for a while, then went at it with a will. Generous Brasso seems to have removed all the heat related stains.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

General Venereal posted:

Would have loved to, but coconut is one of those fruit considered "exotic". Safe fruit are strawberries, rhubarbs, anything that can be grown in European soil except for apples. Should have explained the flour allergy a bit better though, the person in question is only allergic to the type of flour that only consists of the innermost part of the kernel - bit of google translating calls it white flour. Grains in this case means whole, unprocessed grains.!

Perhaps I'm missing something, but wouldn't that still be in the whole, unprocessed grain?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

guppy posted:

Perhaps I'm missing something, but wouldn't that still be in the whole, unprocessed grain?

Sound suspiciously like someone who is trying to just avoid bleached / processed white flour and passing it off as an 'allergy'

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I say, turn this dinner into an allergen testing panel.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
It's pretty clearly a picky eaters list and not any kind of allergy list.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I'm allergic to sugar this month guys, read about it on the internet.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

pile of brown posted:

It's pretty clearly a picky eaters list and not any kind of allergy list.

That's what makes it fun!

"Turns out you're actually not allergic to 'exotic' fruits, but you may die from the nuts I gave you sorry"

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Here in Sweden Ättika, which is a 24% vinegar, is a hhousehold staple and the basis of most traditional pickling recipies. It also serves really well as an all round cleaning agent, as you noted.

Final Call
Nov 15, 2005

That Works posted:

Sound suspiciously like someone who is trying to just avoid bleached / processed white flour and passing it off as an 'allergy'

I hear you, but the person in question basically got this list of allergies from his doctor when tested during the 70's. One might think that they might want to get re-tested, but hey.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

General Venereal posted:

I hear you, but the person in question basically got this list of allergies from his doctor when tested during the 70's. One might think that they might want to get re-tested, but hey.
Unless you mean the 1670s this doesn't really make the allergy to `exotic fruit' any more plausible.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Is a tomato an exotic fruit? They're from the new world.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Is a tomato an exotic fruit? They're from the new world.

I've heard tell of these, but I'd never eat one myself; who would be so foolhardy as to ingest the fruit of a deadly nightshade? scoff

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
I thought you were supposed to set afire to the dried tubers and leaves and inhale the smoke thereof. Apparently it cures all ills and is gluten-free.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

General Venereal posted:

That's all from one person? And they've cut out dairy, wheat and half the vegetable kingdom for 40 years? I'm normally accepting of this stuff, but you've got to wonder if there isn't some sort of masochistic/hypochondriac aspect to something like that... I had a girlfriend once who was allergic to gluten, tomatoes and cheese and she hated it. One time we went to an Italian and she ordered pizza, she had to run to the bathroom because her throat started swelling shut.

WereJace
May 16, 2006

Beast Wars

I have these gourds/squashes, bought in place of pumpkins because we were lazy and ran out of time to get real pumpkins. I'm guessing they're edible, anyone have any suggestions on what to use them for, or would it be best to just chop-scoop-roast-eat?

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I find it easiest to roast in halves and scoop the meat out once it's soft, but same diff

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Tonight I'm making split pea soup with some smoked ham hocks because 1) gently caress Yeah Autumn and 2) I like to make vats of soup so I don't have to cook when I come home exhausted from slaving over a dishpit for 12 hours, and 3) I am a poor, and a pot of legumes goes a long way. So on my day off tomorrow I was gonna do up the bag of black beans I have, as well.

Once I cut the ham off the hocks tonight, is there any point in saving the bones to throw into the black beans tomorrow, or have they lost all their mojo by then? (I'm probably gonna try it anyways because it can't hurt, and see #3 above, but just wondering.)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Can parboiled potatoes be stored overnight without losing flavor? If so does it need to be in water like with raw cut ones? I would be mashing some and oven roasting the rest.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Grand Fromage posted:

Can parboiled potatoes be stored overnight without losing flavor? If so does it need to be in water like with raw cut ones? I would be mashing some and oven roasting the rest.

Yes, and yes. One time I had to leave the house unexpectedly when I had potatoes ready for mashing, so I tossed them in a Cambro full of water and mashed them the next day (after some reheating). Perfect. I even suspect there was some starch gelatinization from the storing period, since the texture seemed a bit better. That might be the placebo effect, though. I bet the roasted ones will turn out extra crispy and yummy.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
parcooked taters don't get stored in water. Sounds like a good way to waterlog them.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

parcooked taters don't get stored in water. Sounds like a good way to waterlog them.

It was fine for mashing, but might not be for roasting. You'd know better than I, undoubtedly.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

That's what I was concerned about. I don't know if the parcooking destroys whatever enzyme? that causes them to get all funky in oxygen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
If you're just going to use them for mash, storing in water isn't going to matter much because you'll just bring it to a boil again anyways. If you want to roast them, don't store in water. Make sure you boil your taters in salted water too.

Yeah, parcooking prevents the oxidation.

e: If you have a SV setup, cook your taters at 190F for an hour with butter, salt, and thyme. Chill them, roast to reheat. Butter poached potatoes are the best potatoes.