Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Business Octopus
Jun 27, 2005

Me IRL
Go to a school where you can live at home for bachelor's, get straight As and then go to a prestige school for masters/PhD/JD/MD/Horse doctor degree. Best of both worlds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Business Octopus posted:

Go to a school where you can live at home for bachelor's, get straight As and then go to a prestige school for masters/PhD/JD/MD/Horse doctor degree. Best of both worlds.
Also don't do grad studies without a stipend.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

NancyPants posted:

Well I have an answer to my question

I'm not sure what's wrong with wanting your kid to go to a better school. I spent 7 years in a lovely commuter campus, I'd like my child to have a more 'traditional' college experience.

I could always change her college fund to a wedding fund I guess. Swans here we come.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

monster on a stick posted:

Old people tend to not get asked where they went to college because it doesn't matter much anymore, what matters is experience by that point. This goes for any job, in tech people may care whether you went to MIT/Waterloo/etc. if you are 21 but if you are 35 it's whether you worked at Google/some other respectable tech company vs. being the IT guy at the donut shop.

Yeah I know how that works but that wasn't really what I was implying...

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Business Octopus posted:

Better yet sneak in to a better school's classes and steal their fancy expensive learnin', I bet nobody would stop you if you didn't bother anyone.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Better schools don't really have much better learning, it's mostly just better networking

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
A lot of people still meet their spouses in college. Marrying someone smart with high earning potential is bestWM.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Ashcans posted:

Better schools don't really have much better learning, it's mostly just better networking
Not all learning comes from books and going to a school with more smart, driven people for you to learn by example from counts as better learning. It doesn't help if you heave the idea of good habits away with great force though, since *paragraphs long digression on where I went to school, the people I met there, how much I spent, my student loan interest rate*

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I sympathize with your kid, Kareem: I had mad anxiety and guilt over the cost of my higher education. I hope that they're able to eventually look calmly at the actual cost-difference of the different in-state schools and confidently follow through on their decision.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Anyway there's an easy solution to your kid being overly debt-averse when picking schools - simply pay their bills and suddenly they can have their cake and eat it too. If you want you can make them promise to pay it forward to their own children.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
The way to make that student loan situation manageable is to permanently emigrate.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Krispy Kareem posted:

I'm not sure what's wrong with wanting your kid to go to a better school. I spent 7 years in a lovely commuter campus, I'd like my child to have a more 'traditional' college experience.
And by living on campus at a non-lovely school you get a lot more networking opportunities than you would while commuting. Also- late night study sessions suck when you have to plan around a bus or train schedule.

But that is of course assuming that you don't pay $200K to study to become a Park Ranger. Just... don't do that.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Ashcans posted:

Unfortunately it doesn't actually matter what you learn in college anymore, only who you can schmooze into getting a job offer these days. Going to a prestige school helps with that a whole lot.

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe
Can't take 25 classes on machine learning in college outside of Stanford, CMU, Berkeley or MIT, I think

Research colleges do research, I knew folks who published 6 papers in undergrad, can't do that by community college + finish at 4-year

(That prolly ends up meaning grad school, tho, which is the canonical BWM)

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

curufinor posted:

Can't take 25 classes on machine learning in college outside of Stanford, CMU, Berkeley or MIT, I think

Research colleges do research, I knew folks who published 6 papers in undergrad, can't do that by community college + finish at 4-year

(That prolly ends up meaning grad school, tho, which is the canonical BWM)

I took 3 years to do my masters, I think we did take out a loan one semester because there was an interruption in my funding. I think it added 6k to our total debt load (plus of course the hit from delaying repayments).

If you're doing a science masters, you should be funded. The chairman of my undergraduate department told us flatly that if they don't offer a package that includes tuition waiver, health insurance, and a stipend (as a TA or RA), don't go. When you convince a committee you have something to offer and can hack it, they'll bring you on. If no committee will pay for you, you should reconsider your decision to apply and go to grad school in the first place.

When I read about people paying 50k+ to get a masters in something non-science, it makes me feel like there should be different words for our respective educational situations. They're totally different experiences- seems like the science masters is about 10000% better for the student.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I managed to get my non-science MS paid for by my university, but overall it was still probably a BWM decision for opportunity cost.

Actually if I hadn't done my MS I probably wouldn't have met my wife and wouldn't have two kids now, which is the ultimate BWM, so really I'll be paying for the MS for the rest of my life.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Uncle Enzo posted:

When I read about people paying 50k+ to get a masters in something non-science, it makes me feel like there should be different words for our respective educational situations. They're totally different experiences- seems like the science masters is about 10000% better for the student.
I know a lot of people who got their M.A. then Ph.D. in liberal arts. Their rationale was always, "What am I going to do with just a Bachelors in Political Science/Philosophy/Women's Studies/whatever? I need more than a B.A.!"

So then they dump thousands of dollars and several hundreds hours of wasted time into a Masters degree instead of taking extra courses in something with real world application, or *gasp* going to community college for something with better employment prospects. And they almost always regret it. Many of them don't even list their Masters degree because it overqualifies them for most entry-level jobs. There's this weird, old wisdom of, "The more money you spend on education the higher your income will be." And there's all sorts of dubious "studies" that come out making the same claim. So we have an entire generation of ignorant students who think that more time in post-secondary = more money, even if you're pursuing a Masters in Theological Studies.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Feb 9, 2017

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Money Problems:

- Had government civil service job; quit
- Had career job in the army; quit to "find something real"
- Opens Virtual Reality Saloon
- Spends 2 years setting it up with no profits
- Never made a profit once it opened
- Invested in Bitcoins
- "my business is not profitable, but if I could be at 100% capacity all day/every day and have people pay me a monthly subscription on Kickstarter for no reason, then it could potentially get to break even. This is a good business plan and safe assumption, right?"

"P.S. My business plan is based on my experience in World of Warcraft Gold Farming. Would you like to invest?"

Solutions:

1) Get your girlfriend pregnant
2) Start a Kickstarter

quote:

27, Hardly Prospering VR Saloon Owner, Future Dad.

Hey guys, I'm loosing my optimism, saw couple people getting help here, and I'm desperated enough to hope ill find answer here.

This is a story of my life. I'm passionate gamer since Pegasus. From poor but loving family. Went thru mild depression at young age, then met my first serious gf and FlyFF, that help a lot going thru it. The MMO have teach me basic trading skills.

When i was 17, i had to move out. Found a job as a civil employee of army that paid poo poo, but also gave me some lessons and free time. Managed to finish school meantime, and started my first "business", started from account selling and boosting in other games. After collecting some, I've started reselling things, and investing in small stuff like bitcoin machines. At this point I felt very successful, and happy. After 5 years, i have quit army. Decided to try something real. Took me two years to open a VR saloon.

My VR Saloon is what i dreamed off when i was starting it. It looks great, is fully equipped, been in some articles, found a bit of sponsorship, had some good deals, and got tons of smiles from my customers. Took total of 3-4 years of work, all my savings and 17k euro debit. Now the problem, is probably marketing of my saloon. It still not earning enough to pay off bills. Potentially, if i had customers most of the time its open, and got some events it could make money.

But now, that Im running off any personal funding, got a kid on a way, im kinda loosing faith. Considering closing, and having all that time and money that could build a house wasted, living of a normal work and starting all over. Ive just tried crowdfunding campaign, trying to find investor, and trying many things to get it working, but theres not much of a result. Any idea what i could do to make it running? Should i close, if its not working for so long, or risk keeping it running a little longer? Apreciate any words and help. Thanks

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Feb 9, 2017

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Not a ton of juicy details in this one, but it might be the largest concentration of poor decisions per word ratio I have seen on a post.

- Went into debt for theater degree
- Can't get a job
- Wants to take an unpaid internship for a year and get a personal loan to pay for living expenses during this time.
- The goal of the unpaid internship and personal loan is to allow him to go to Grad School for theater and get more loans

quote:

Want to take an unpaid internship to advance my career. Can I take a loan out to cover my cost of living expenses for up to a year?

Got my theatre degree, want to go into teaching on the collegiate level. To do that, I need to go to grad school (I know, more debt, but we'll worry about that later). To go to grad school, I need to have career experience. The problem is, I have very minimal work on my resume. If I took a particular internship as well as a few classes to put on my resume, this would help my chances of getting steady work so that I can go to Grad School, so I can get my MFA and get a job teaching. What can I do?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Bad WIth Money: The MMO have teach me basic trading skills

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Let's up the ante and teach him real basic trading skills so he can really gently caress up his life: The Day Trading on Margin Story

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
VR saloon? hahahahahaha is this a thing

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

BraveUlysses posted:

VR saloon? hahahahahaha is this a thing
It's crazy popular in vegas right now, if you walk up and down the strip you'll see tons of them.

it's not the idea itself that's bad, just his location and money management and marketing and basically everything else.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

What is a VR Saloon? Like is it a bar where you go and hang out and play VR games, or like a cybercafe where you use VR to hang out in a virtual saloon? Or a bar where you use VR to hang out in a virtual one?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
*drinks virtual beer*

*is charged 0.02BTC for the experience*

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I hope you can fight virtual cowboys while drinking virtual whiskey out of dusty virtual glasses.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Nail Rat posted:

I hope you can fight virtual cowboys while drinking virtual whiskey out of dusty virtual glasses.
https://streamable.com/513w

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

This might be heroin-induced (also BWM) but I can't tell for sure. A girl I went to high school with and haven't seen in 15 years just had her kids taken away by CPS for being evicted from her apartment for non-payment (and I'm guessing heroin) and made an epic Facebook rant trying to figure out who reported her.

I cut out most of it, but left in the financial philosophy part.

quote:

the lil bitch who reported me to DFS does not give a poo poo about my kids. she is just jealous and hateful as hell. They say that I had too much discretionary income and thats why you lose your kids. I got a job bitch. I don't remember any of my checks having a note on them telling me what I can spend it on. NEWSFLASH ALL INCOME IS DISCRETIONARY INCOME. i can choose to live wherever i want AT MY DISCRETION choosing to live with my nan or to pay for a piece of poo poo place is my DISCRETION. you cant take away someones kids because of a made up idea. they got food and they got their mom. now they gotta live at a certain address or have a home ec course at goddamn TWO YEARS OLD????

im not mad! lol! im gonna get my kids back and find out who this snitch is. i got a pretty good feelin already so watch yo back. ;-)

gonna have to make sure my boss knows that apparently money has rules now and you can only spend it at certain places or it doesnt count! kinda weird that he can run a business and i can be in the industry for YEARS and never heard of that rule before. my money has never been turned down before. crazy world we live in now!

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

What makes you think it might be heroin?

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Yeah that's definitely the trademark addict writing style. :(

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Yikes, feel bad for her kids.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
People like that believe in complete freedom to do wahtsoever with their property. And they consider their children and others to be their property.

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes
Whoops

TIFU How should I tell my wife I lost all of our savings? posted:

When I paid her monthly student loan I clicked pay in full by accident and now almost 40,000 is gone from our savings and now we can't afford the home we were going to buy. Every month for the past 2 years I have made this payment with no issues at all. Today (well last week) I made the payment and I clicked pay in full instead of monthly payment. I did not even know I did that until I was checking my bank records and moving some money from one account to another. I called the bank that has the loan and I was told that I agreed to the terms when I submitted the payment. While they agree that it's wrong that they can't give me back my money but they have rules to follow as well. Now the hard part, I have to tell my wife that it's all gone. On one hand a high interest loan is paid off but on the other hand we're now broke. I have such a sinking feeling and lost my hope for the future. I really screwed this one up. I know my wife is understanding and there won't be any kind of a yelling match going on but I know she is going to be really bummed out. It took a few years to save the money and now we are back to square one. I have made many mistakes in my life and some were financial mistakes but this one is the grand daddy of all mistakes. I'm really lost.... TL;DR How do I tell my wife all our money is gone and we can no longer buy a home..

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

On the plus side, it was a high interest loan after all, so they'll save that 40k back up quicker than they did before and be in a better spot 3 years from now than they would have been otherwise...I kept waiting for the shoe to drop that she was 2 years away from PSLF.

Accidentally GWM I'd call it.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
help i accidentally a gwm

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

At least he ruined their home buying by paying down other debt? :unsmith:

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

H110Hawk posted:

At least he ruined their home buying by paying down other debt? :unsmith:

Maybe the house they were going to buy had a horse farm, now what is she going to do?

GWM: divorcing with no assets means there's nothing to split

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I was expecting it to be Bitcoin or gambling or some sort of MLM, paying off your debts is probably the best way that could have gone down.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
He avoided a high interest loan (BWM) and buying a house (BWM) so what's the problem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

If he'd acted quickly and called them, he could have had the transaction cancelled.

• Locked thread