Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Milo and POTUS posted:

That human civilization ran into the neanderthals in the levant and were violently subsumed by their culture and it forever corrupted our behavior. It was weird and unlikely but also intriguing. I don't think there's any evidence of it from any anthropologist I've ever heard of. It was in PYF I'm pretty sure just not this thread (that I've found).

That has a whooooole lot of assumptions built into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Milo and POTUS posted:

That human civilization ran into the neanderthals in the levant and were violently subsumed by their culture and it forever corrupted our behavior. It was weird and unlikely but also intriguing.
It's pure hokum.

Aesop Poprock posted:

Rogan and Joey Diaz have stories about it from like the 70s that show how different it was then
And then they grew up to become assaulters/enablers themselves

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
Humans almost definitely did interbreed with other closely related species at multiple points, but anything about it "corrupting our behavior" is some evopsych nonsense.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
double post

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

showbiz_liz posted:

Humans almost definitely did interbreed with other closely related species at multiple points, but anything about it "corrupting our behavior" is some evopsych nonsense.

Yeah, even if that somehow did happen (the behavioural change bit), it's impossible to prove or disprove, which is true for most links between culture and biology that evopsych adepts love to go on and on about. I mean, sure, increases in testosterone make a human being more prone to risky behaviour and aggression, but that doesn't mean all risk-takers and aggressive human beings do this because of increased testosterone levels.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

showbiz_liz posted:

Seems pretty easy to disprove, too. Some homo sapiens stayed in africa and didn't interact with other near-human species hardly at all. So we ought to be able to look at their history and see what 'uncorrupted' human behavior looks like. I'm no expert on world history, but it seems like pre-colonial african history isn't a lot better nor worse than the rest.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

What about that devilish Neanderthal rock music? My son Orgorg was pitch-grunting some of that yesterday. The language! I told him he was going straight to his cavern, and no mammoth for dinner.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Brawnfire posted:

What about that devilish Neanderthal rock music? My son Orgorg was pitch-grunting some of that yesterday. The language! I told him he was going straight to his cavern, and no mammoth for dinner.

Of your cooking? More like a mastodon't.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

It's pure hokum.
And then they grew up to become assaulters/enablers themselves

I know. I just wanted to remember which thread it was in

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Facebook Aunt posted:

Seems pretty easy to disprove, too. Some homo sapiens stayed in africa and didn't interact with other near-human species hardly at all. So we ought to be able to look at their history and see what 'uncorrupted' human behavior looks like. I'm no expert on world history, but it seems like pre-colonial african history isn't a lot better nor worse than the rest.
Yeah I think it's a theory Hoteps put forth for that very reason, to fit into the 'Africa is the perfect cradle of the world and other races were corrupted' worldview. Turns out bullshit race theory doesn't get any less bullshit when there's not institutional power behind it, just less mainstream.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I seem to remember the opposite take from a sociology class: Neanderthals were the source of sympathetic traits like complex storytelling and burying the dead, whereas early humans were kind of psychopathic. Whether that was from a textbook or a woo-woo lecturer though I can't recall.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Rochallor posted:

I seem to remember the opposite take from a sociology class: Neanderthals were the source of sympathetic traits like complex storytelling and burying the dead, whereas early humans were kind of psychopathic. Whether that was from a textbook or a woo-woo lecturer though I can't recall.

Im fairly certain thats not mainstream. There are still debates about how much abstract thinking neanderthals were capable of, let alone language.

I also have never heard them as being the source of anything tbh, but I may be uninformed about that.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
All's I know is that if loads of people are horny for elves and turians and werewolves and twi'leks, no way in hell we weren't loving neanderthals.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

All's I know is that if loads of people are horny for elves and turians and werewolves and twi'leks, no way in hell we weren't loving neanderthals.

Also a couple hominids we don't know anything about other than we hosed them.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Yeah pretty much, I'm not saying everybody was doing it but it was apparently frequent enough to get the genetics all shared in most people's ancestry, so.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Rochallor posted:

I’m guessing our behavior couldn’t have been that different if we started loving

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Rochallor posted:

What's the implication of that for those humans who didn't mix with Neanderthals? I think all this has to be eyeballed very closely because it feels like a way of separating one human group from another.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

I think some of this may actually have been the premise of The Neanderthal Parallax series of science fiction novels.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

HopperUK posted:

What's the implication of that for those humans who didn't mix with Neanderthals? I think all this has to be eyeballed very closely because it feels like a way of separating one human group from another.

Yeah, I feel like thats a big part of it. This also somewhat comes up with non-human/non-hominid intelligence and tool use in other species.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

HopperUK posted:

Over time they probably homogenized anyway

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica
Listening to the new Casefile episode and screaming

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Piss Meridian posted:

Listening to the new Casefile episode and screaming

Been meaning to listen to that, it must mention the film Compliance?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

HopperUK posted:

Apparently I was taught/remembered wrong so it's a moot point anyway, but it was cultural and not genetic. This was Sociology after all.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Has there been any mitochondrial DNA of Neanderthals found in humans? Wouldn't that have some implications?

Serious Cephalopod
Jul 1, 2007

This is a Serious post for a Serious thread.

Bloop Bloop Bloop
Pillbug

Alterian posted:

Has there been any mitochondrial DNA of Neanderthals found in humans? Wouldn't that have some implications?

I thought there had been regular degular neaderthal dna found in humans.

It's not my primary source, but 23 and me seems to think so.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Alterian posted:

The initial identifiable 1/2 and 1/4 hybrids had to be accepted into the human groups in order for them to continue breeding with pure humans and be our ancestors. That implies an ongoing relationship of some type, not just violent raids.

It's certainly possible that tribes were keeping the other species women as captives, slaves, livestock, or pets. But it's also possible there was just normal inter-tribal relations between human and near-human tribes.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨
I’ve been the caregiver for my best friend for the last decade, and the last few years he’s developed dementia related to multiple traumatic brain injuries. It’s hosed up on a personal level to witness how much a biological process can destroy a person’s sense of self by erasing the internal narrative we all rely on to know Who We Are, and how often someone can vacillate between horror/fear at what they’re becoming, and being completely unaware that anything is the matter.

This is a brief psychological essay on artist William Untermohlen’s record of his advancing Alzheimer’s, which is most starkly shown in his portraits. As time progressed, his sense of proportion and perspective went out the window, and while he does include some symbolism that hints he was aware of the changes (as the essay notes, a pair of simple geometric shapes alluding to the constant ability tests he underwent, and a saw that could relate to a recent conversation with his doctor where he learned that he couldn’t get a full diagnosis until his autopsy), it’s impossible to know if he was fully or always aware that his art was changing.

It gives me a full existential crisis any time I dwell on the idea of memory and perception having fatal errors.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Facebook Aunt posted:

The initial identifiable 1/2 and 1/4 hybrids had to be accepted into the human groups in order for them to continue breeding with pure humans and be our ancestors. That implies an ongoing relationship of some type, not just violent raids.

It's certainly possible that tribes were keeping the other species women as captives, slaves, livestock, or pets. But it's also possible there was just normal inter-tribal relations between human and near-human tribes.

I didn't mean violent raids! Sorry for the misunderstanding.
My small understanding of genetics is that mitochondrial dna only comes from the mother. It's present in the egg cell. They've been able to trace back the mutations of mitochondrial dna all the way back to a "mitochondrial eve" which would be the female all other humans descended from. Since it can ONLY come from the mother, if there was viable mother-Neanderthal father-Human children, wouldn't there be evidence of that in modern human mitochondria?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Murder of Sylvia Likens

A book youtube person asked on twitter about the most disturbing thing they'd ever read and they were pointed to The Girl Next Door by by Jack Ketchum and I read about the murder that inspired it and it's a tour of some of the worst things I've ever read.

quote:

"There was practically no fat on [Sylvia's] body. She hadn't eaten for a week! We'll never know the pain and suffering that Sylvia endured ... the best evidence of that was the picture of her lips—lips that were bitten into shreds!"
--Section of Deputy Prosecutor Marjorie Wessner's closing argument at the trial of Gertrude Baniszewski.[137]

I'm still sick to my stomach, this was more than I was prepared to look at today

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Alterian posted:

I didn't mean violent raids! Sorry for the misunderstanding.
My small understanding of genetics is that mitochondrial dna only comes from the mother. It's present in the egg cell. They've been able to trace back the mutations of mitochondrial dna all the way back to a "mitochondrial eve" which would be the female all other humans descended from. Since it can ONLY come from the mother, if there was viable mother-Neanderthal father-Human children, wouldn't there be evidence of that in modern human mitochondria?

Oh, sorry, "implications" always makes me think the worst, lol.

So an unbroken maternal linage could have neanderthal mitochondrial dna. Likewise a dude from an unbroken paternal linage could be rocking a neanderthal Y chromosome. I haven't heard of anything like that being found. But it could be that no one has bothered looking either.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Murder of Sylvia Likens

A book youtube person asked on twitter about the most disturbing thing they'd ever read and they were pointed to The Girl Next Door by by Jack Ketchum and I read about the murder that inspired it and it's a tour of some of the worst things I've ever read.

I'm still sick to my stomach, this was more than I was prepared to look at today

gently caress those neighbors that never said anything even though they witnessed the abuse. Jesus people are monsters.

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

Scathach posted:

gently caress those neighbors that never said anything even though they witnessed the abuse. Jesus people are monsters.

And gently caress the parole board for letting every single one of them out early even though they never expressed any remorse for their crimes or even admitted any responsibility.

The only people in that whole saga who are worthy of anything other than complete loving contempt are the Likens family.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
How does the 'mitochondrial eve' work anyways? Surely its not saying that we as a species got to such a bottleneck. Is it more like 'this is dna thats survived throughout all of history'?

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

How does the 'mitochondrial eve' work anyways? Surely its not saying that we as a species got to such a bottleneck. Is it more like 'this is dna thats survived throughout all of history'?

Nah, it's just a silly phrase for the most recent common ancestor of humans. By definition, there's always going to be one.

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Like Tobermory said, it refers to the most common (matrilineal) human ancestor. Therefore it doesn't refer to a specific fixed person in time, nor does it refer to a bottleneck (human population at its lowest was still a 5-digit number).

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Same deal with y-chromosomal Adam, most recent common ancestor from whom all living males are descended from patrilineally. There was something in 2014 that suggested he might have been roughly contemporaneous with Eve but I’ve also seen that contradicted elsewhere and it’s not as though it would have to be true in any event

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Facebook Aunt posted:

It's certainly possible that tribes were keeping the other species women as captives, slaves, livestock, or pets.

Or their men. :wink:

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

My god.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
Hello future Casefile episode:
https://twitter.com/Well_Regulated_/status/1310767393577340930

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009