Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Gonz posted:

New information says it took 15+ minutes to get a pulse on her, and that she's at a UCLA hospital right now hooked up to life support.

:(

I'm not well educated on this but isn't fifteen plus of no new oxygen to the brain ... the end? I thought with CPR brain damage was avoided by keeping oxygenated blood pumping?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Jack B Nimble posted:

I'm not well educated on this but isn't fifteen plus of no new oxygen to the brain ... the end? I thought with CPR brain damage was avoided by keeping oxygenated blood pumping?

Yeah, this doesn't look good. Even if she somehow survives, she's going to have serious brain damage.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Jack B Nimble posted:

There's reservoirs of oxygen and you do get some exchange of air with your cpr. In hospitals you can go over 15 min for Sure during heart attacks

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Planes have oxygen and defibrillators, so close to landing with an EMT performing CPR is not the worst case scenario. But yeah that's a long rear end time to not have a pulse..

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Goddammit 2016, you can't have this one too. :smith:

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

gfarrell80 posted:

I'm also of the opinion that the OT will age better than the prequels.

This is a very safe bet. This is one of the most compelling scenes in the latest of the prequels:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4L_S9K-BkQ&t=36s

It looks very bad 11 years later, as in "this would look mediocre in a videogame cutscene, today" bad; some of it looks like hot garbage (IE: the shot when mounted Obi-Wan talks with the helmet-less clone and Temuera Morrison's head keeps bobbing around, detached from his CGI body). Effects from the OT are more forgiving simply because they don't, usually, occupy such a large percentage of the screen. They also were very good for their form of technology (props and physical effects) while PT's CGI isn't. It was good at the time, mind you (I don't remember thinking it was this bad in 2005 for sure), but it's full uncanny valley - or even worse - now. It looks as bad as CGI Tarkin will look in 10 years.

Woebin posted:

I just saw R1 yesterday and thought it was pretty fun, are there any posts in this enormous thread worth reading if I want interesting thoughts, or is it all just ironic posting and slapfighting?

Around page 720 - in general just after R1 was released - there is a lot of nice discussion.

My 2c about Rogue One:
- The first scene is very good.
- The score is pretty weak.
- I like the fact that this is a movie about small people in the conflict, even if they could have gone for something less safe...the themes are there, but they are more hinted than showed (rebels as freedom fighters, the effect of war on people, does the end justify the means, etc).
- The time slots assigned for each character background building are weird ; Cassian has the strongest one, followed by Cirruth and Baze (they all have a full cycle), while Jin and Bodhi are very story-neutral. This is even weirder for Jin, since she's clearly the protagonist. I would have loved a first act with either more focus on Jin's/Saw past or an earlier introduction for the other "magnificen 7".
- The space battle has some of very nice shots (shoulder cam on the X-Wing coming out of hyperspace in the middle of the battle, giganto-crash, Vader's ISD ruining everyone's day).
- I love the fact that in this movie both Vader and the Death Star feel like an ominous, dangerous presence. Vader's scene at the end feels incredibly natural, like something that has been in our head for 30+ years, even if we've never seen it on screen before. He's the villain in an horror movie and those poor rebels are trapped in that corridor with him. The Death Star shots have a weight (both visual and psychological) that was missing before.
- I was kinda expecting it, and I was sure about it as soon as Bodhi dies, but it's nice that everybody dies. It gives pathos to something that was supposed to have none (IE: we already know they're going to succeed, in the end).
- CGI Tarkin was bad in the first scene it happears, but ok in the following ones. I wasn't sure if CGI Leia was CGI or Carrie Fisher wearing a ton of makeup.
Also please get well Carrie.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Dec 24, 2016

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!
Good lord 2016 the gently caress is your deal

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Gonz posted:

New information says it took 15+ minutes to get a pulse on her, and that she's at a UCLA hospital right now hooked up to life support.

:(

Wow. She seems like a tough lady and I sincerely hope she pulls through.

No jokes, just genuine concern and hope.

(Recoveries are built on hope)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

2016 is literally the worst loving year in human history if it is taking Princess Leia from us.

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.
It will be what it will be, but my understanding is that if CPR is involved I think you are looking at a ~1% full recovery chance and ~10% to ever make it out of the hospital again.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/APEntertainment/status/812447104689967104

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

loving A, this year has to go after her, too?

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

I hope that's good, but "stable" doesn't mean much. Someone who is brain dead can be stable.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh man that sucks :(

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jesus Christ, gently caress 2016.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

What a symmetrical picture

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Cyclomatic posted:

It will be what it will be, but my understanding is that if CPR is involved I think you are looking at a ~1% full recovery chance and ~10% to ever make it out of the hospital again.

Is that emergency situations or just cpr as a whole? Because realllllly old people in hospitals get CPR unless their family explicitly says no to that. Might skew the numbers.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Wild Horses posted:

Is that emergency situations or just cpr as a whole? Because realllllly old people in hospitals get CPR unless their family explicitly says no to that. Might skew the numbers.

If it really took 15 minutes to get a pulse, at her age, thats basically the end of her independence. She won't recover from that fully ever, especially when you think about just how many drugs shes done.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

underage at the vape shop posted:

If it really took 15 minutes to get a pulse, at her age, thats basically the end of her independence. She won't recover from that fully ever, especially when you think about just how many drugs shes done.

How many?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

As in Carrie Fisher likely is personally responsible for curving the market value of cocaine

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

UmOk posted:

How many?

John Belushi thought she needed to slow down.

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012
Liked rogue one and something that is really understated but nice about the Star Wars series is that it's never felt the need to become gory. Sure there's decapitations and burn wounds but rarely is there blood or guts flying out even after an explosion.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Just a matter of time before we get a rated-R Star Wars.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

UmOk posted:

How many?

You know how the 80s was famous for cocaine

it was actually all her

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
The CGI Carrie Fisher from Rogue One seems much creepier now.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Just a matter of time before we get a rated-R Star Wars.

Itd just be regular star wars but with r2s dialog uncensored.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ghetto Prince posted:

The CGI Carrie Fisher from Rogue One seems much creepier now.

Only if she dies :/

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

I said come in! posted:

Oh my God...

Guys, that's not CGI!!!

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!

I said come in! posted:

For some reason using CGI for someone that's still alive, just severely incapacitated, strikes me as even creepier.

It's possible she could see it and not even realize it's her

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

This is a false report apparently. Her brother has reported that she was moved from the emergency room to the ICU, not in stable condition. That's the furthest he's been updated by doctors :(

http://etcanada.com/news/190820/carrie-fisher-suffers-massive-heart-attack-on-plane/

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Just got back from the movie. I'm glad JO crystals are now canon.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Bip Roberts posted:

Just got back from the movie. I'm glad JO crystals are now canon.

jerk off crystals definitely belong in canon , pls add them to the wookiepedia

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Speaking of canon and wookiepedia, does anyone know if 'jyn' or 'jinn' mean anything in any of the star wars languages? I think it's interesting that the daughter of a devout...Force-worshipper(???) has a first name that's uncannily similar to a Jedi Master's last. (looking at you, jivjov)

A Major Fucker
Mar 10, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
good thing they've got that cgi carrie fisher from rogue one lol

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Zoran posted:

Everything about the arena owns. Actually, everything after that in AOTC owns too.

What was the point of either Dooku fight?

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.

Wild Horses posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardiopulmonary_resuscitation

Things are situational, but CPR is uniformly a pretty bad sign. Especially since merely surviving and getting a favorable recovery are two entirely different things with CPR.

It is kinda like hiding under a desk during a nuclear attack. Hard to argue for not doing it since you've basically got nothing else constructive to try, but a lack of argument against it can easily turn into thinking that 'this is going to be super effective' to avoid being scared poo poo-less about the idea of facing a situation that is just grim no matter what. Plus Hollywood loves it as a plot device, and Hollywood doesn't portray anything accurately.

A Major Fucker
Mar 10, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
she's dead jim

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

So ummm... how far along into production is Episode VIII? Do we know if Carrie finished her scenes, barring any reshoots?

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Ballz posted:

So ummm... how far along into production is Episode VIII? Do we know if Carrie finished her scenes, barring any reshoots?

Hope it doesn't mess up Leia being the leader of the Resistance and the First Order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women

Ballz posted:

Aren't they done shooting? I thought they were just doing special effects and editing or whatever at this point.

• Locked thread