Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

cerious posted:

However teams that do good at the Summit typically do good at TI. If you look at the pre-TI summits, one of the teams in the grand finals always places top 3 at the following TI. I'm willing to bet that'll happen this year too.

Have any teams announced that they're sticking around BTS to bootcamp before TI? A few teams that did that previously also had good results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

cerious posted:

I don't think Secret would've gotten the invite even if they won the summit. Newbee and TL are the only teams with multiple lan wins between Kiev and now that weren't top4 at the major so they were basically guaranteed. But they basically have an invite, the EU qualifier is unbelievably free for them.

However teams that do good at the Summit typically do good at TI. If you look at the pre-TI summits, one of the teams in the grand finals always places top 3 at the following TI. I'm willing to bet that'll happen this year too.

They would have definitely gotten the invite over IG if they won summit.

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:

Xtanstic posted:

Have any teams announced that they're sticking around BTS to bootcamp before TI? A few teams that did that previously also had good results.

Not sure but DC and Wings were the ones that stayed at BTS last year I think. They placed pretty good.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

The REAL Goobusters posted:

lol if you think Valve won't give China 2 direct invites.

The DPRK
Nov 18, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Sorry to drop in here but is there a thread for just normal Dota 2 play? I've had a look around for a good ten minutes and can't find it.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

The DPRK posted:

Sorry to drop in here but is there a thread for just normal Dota 2 play? I've had a look around for a good ten minutes and can't find it.

No, but you don't want to find that one

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
How often are reports supposed to be refreshed? Because I usually don't use them but I used 2 a month ago and haven't gotten any back. I know you get them back if the person actually gets LPQ/muted, but am I just stuck with zero reports until the end of time now?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

The REAL Goobusters posted:

"You beat VP in a series where they played with a hand tied behind their back 4 times out of 5. For that we will ignore you getting clowned by Brazillilans and give you this ticket worth $100,000."

No.

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
1 SA despite that continent keeping the game alive lol

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

The DPRK posted:

There is one but it's even less active than this one. Just post here.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

No one plays Dota 2 here we just complain about caster tiers and nahaz tweets

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Please no general dota chat i like my I Hate Tobi thread

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

The DPRK posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3802020

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
I play dota :shobon: I'm on 2 game winning streak with money king, including a game where I went 1/12/11 and one where CK two shotted me at like 15 minutes. Hero is cool but I don't know what to build after the basher need to his ult.

a witch
Jan 12, 2017

I think basher doesn't work with his ult anymore.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

they spent most of the year here and also prefer the us get destroyed eurailures :smaug:

i prefer the US get destroyed too :twisted:

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

if secret so good why didn't they get an invite or beat vp at the summit???????

They spent all their cleverness on that cast of the Empire/NP games.

The DPRK
Nov 18, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Taffer posted:

No, but you don't want to find that one

Oh yeah, that's pretty awful. The OP is permabanned too, what?

Was hoping a goon might have some useful tips for me to play better as a carry (usually Jug, WK, Drow, Luna, PA). I've been playing for 3 years now but am getting gradually worse, not better. I've read loads of guides that are supposed to help me get better but had no luck so far.

It feels like I'm in control of the laning stage and am able to take my opportunities or eke out what I can if I'm in a disadvantaged position. I'd say I'm better than average for my MMR at this portion of the game (1.5k MMR). The mid game I feel I'm not too bad either, I have a reasonable understanding of farming efficiency and I take fights or split push in ways that are advantageous. It's when it comes to closing a game out that I will very often squander a lead, or not be able to bring it back from a losing position. I very rarely see much writing about closing a game out so would be interested in hearing any tips, or if you see some flaw in my thinking above then please point it out as well.

FWIW: https://www.dotabuff.com/players/88022698

Cheers!

The DPRK fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Jun 20, 2017

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
Watch d2bowie vids

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

The DPRK posted:

Was hoping a goon might have some useful tips for me to play better as a carry (usually Jug, WK, Drow, Luna, PA). I've been playing for 3 years now but am getting gradually worse, not better. I've read loads of guides that are supposed to help me get better but had no luck so far.

It feels like I'm in control of the laning stage and am able to take my opportunities or eke out what I can if I'm in a disadvantaged position. I'd say I'm better than average for my MMR at this portion of the game (1.5k MMR). The mid game I feel I'm not too bad either, I have a reasonable understanding of farming efficiency and I take fights or split push in ways that are advantageous. It's when it comes to closing a game out that I will very often squander a lead, or not be able to bring it back from a losing position. I very rarely see much writing about closing a game out so would be interested in hearing any tips, or if you see some flaw in my thinking above then please point it out as well.

Cheers!

Just looking at match stats, a lot of the matches you were doing well in, your team wasn't actually in a winning position. You were super farmed but your teammates weren't, and the other team has a ton of late game carries slowly getting farm. Greedy lineups do really well at low mmr levels since nobody knows how to push or invade jungles. this match is a good example of what i'm talking about. You went 10-3 but the game went 60 minutes and the other team has 5 carries.

The best thing to do would be to just focus on your play. Get better at finding kills and avoiding deaths, maybe learn to do rotations so the lanes you aren't in don't get lost as bad. Eventually variance will catch up to you and you'll start winning more than you lose. You can try coordinating pushes and fights more with your teammates but looking out for yourself should be your #1 priority. You've got at least 2000 more mmr points to go before you can count on your teammates for anything. There's also the option of picking a support, ganking constantly, and dragging your teammates kicking and screaming to a victory, but I have extremely little experience with low-mmr games so I have no idea if that's viable at that level.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

The DPRK posted:

Cheers!

I'm 5.3 and can help you out. Here's my steam profile: https://steamcommunity.com/id/risquebarberr if you want to add me

The DPRK
Nov 18, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

little munchkin posted:

Just looking at match stats, a lot of the matches you were doing well in, your team wasn't actually in a winning position. You were super farmed but your teammates weren't, and the other team has a ton of late game carries slowly getting farm. Greedy lineups do really well at low mmr levels since nobody knows how to push or invade jungles. this match is a good example of what i'm talking about. You went 10-3 but the game went 60 minutes and the other team has 5 carries.

The best thing to do would be to just focus on your play. Get better at finding kills and avoiding deaths, maybe learn to do rotations so the lanes you aren't in don't get lost as bad. Eventually variance will catch up to you and you'll start winning more than you lose. You can try coordinating pushes and fights more with your teammates but looking out for yourself should be your #1 priority. You've got at least 2000 more mmr points to go before you can count on your teammates for anything. There's also the option of picking a support, ganking constantly, and dragging your teammates kicking and screaming to a victory, but I have extremely little experience with low-mmr games so I have no idea if that's viable at that level.

Thanks that's helpful. Would say it's worthwhile trade to rotate and prevent a gank on my team, in lieu of getting farm in my safe lane? In other words, is it worth me sacrificing some of my own farm to help my team not die?

I've tried spamming a support but that's no less frustrating. I've found that if I play as a support I'll be able to get my team suitably in a position to win the game and they'll take bad fights which I'm not equipped to turn in our favour like a carry would be.

The DPRK
Nov 18, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

RisqueBarber posted:

I'm 5.3 and can help you out. Here's my steam profile: https://steamcommunity.com/id/risquebarberr if you want to add me

Thanks bud, added.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Pick heroes that can demolish buildings. Clinkz, Prophet, Leshrac, Templar Assassin, Sven, Tiny, Lone Druid. Those heroes are great at turning an advantage into a win.

e: vision advantages are also insanely op at scrub tier. If your team knows where they are, you'll see better play happen like magic. Night Stalker is an easy choice (who can dominate the mid game) but wards by themselves are sufficient. Buy them no matter what position you're playing and use them.

DNK fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jun 20, 2017

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

The DPRK posted:

Thanks that's helpful. Would say it's worthwhile trade to rotate and prevent a gank on my team, in lieu of getting farm in my safe lane? In other words, is it worth me sacrificing some of my own farm to help my team not die?

I've tried spamming a support but that's no less frustrating. I've found that if I play as a support I'll be able to get my team suitably in a position to win the game and they'll take bad fights which I'm not equipped to turn in our favour like a carry would be.

Rotating depends on the timing of the carry hero you are picking and just general game sense for how aggressive your supports are compared to their team. For instance, generally Juggernaut shouldn't usually rotate very often early unless his ult is up since he is better staying in lane and using healing ward to knock down towers.

Alternatively play roaming heroes like Tusk or Mirana or something because they are really fun and at that MMR every team has like a hard carry in each lane and a guy jungling. You will 100% of the time get an angry guy in all chat if you ward their jungle and randomly come by and smack their low hp Lifestealer with an oov.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

gonna just, interrupt actual dota chat, to say, that tobi, is the fuckin worst caster of them all

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

DNK posted:

Pick heroes that can demolish buildings. Clinkz, Prophet, Leshrac, Templar Assassin, Sven, Tiny, Lone Druid. Those heroes are great at turning an advantage into a win.

e: vision advantages are also insanely op at scrub tier. If your team knows where they are, you'll see better play happen like magic. Night Stalker is an easy choice (who can dominate the mid game) but wards by themselves are sufficient. Buy them no matter what position you're playing and use them.

What'd you get your MMR to? I'm trying to hit 6k by the international and am trying to find some people to practice some 1v1s with if you're interested.

sugar free jazz posted:

gonna just, interrupt actual dota chat, to say, that tobi, is the fuckin worst caster of them all

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
It is definitive proof of a lack of inherent justice in this world that Tobi continues to be employed in any capacity

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

RisqueBarber posted:

What'd you get your MMR to? I'm trying to hit 6k by the international and am trying to find some people to practice some 1v1s with if you're interested.

arhgh hes THE WORST

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

I peaked at 5100 but I also have played maybe 40 games in 2017. I've played a few recently and still watch pro dota but lots of IRL commitments (job, fiancé, grad school) make it hard to commit to continuous gaming sessions.

e: Godz / KOTLguy are the easiest listening. GrandGrant, Capitalist, and Merlini are runner-ups. Slacks is an awful caster but he has a personality: 75% cringe and 25% laffo. Tobi... is like your 13 year old dog that shits everywhere. Goddammit tobi, and gently caress it I'm gonna see this out till you croak.

DNK fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jun 20, 2017

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

botany posted:

i prefer the US get destroyed too :twisted:

son of a bitch!!

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
https://twitter.com/SheeverGaming/status/877227847622037504

:unsmith:

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Sheever :unsmith:

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
Heck yes

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
#prayforsheever

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

RisqueBarber posted:

I recalibrated when Battle Pass came out to 1600 and after coming back from Europe and playing in SEA down to 1300 so I added you in case you wanna spectate some dumb matches

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Playing on SEA tanked my MMR. Not that I actually care about MMR but still, gently caress SEA Dota.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

When did 5k become "bad" in this game by the way? I notice all the time now in ranked people calling 5k "trash". It's literally like the top 2 or 3% of all Dota players, it's an insane take.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Nichael posted:

When did 5k become "bad" in this game by the way? I notice all the time now in ranked people calling 5k "trash". It's literally like the top 2 or 3% of all Dota players, it's an insane take.

when every booster boosted people to 5k / when every account buyer bought a 5k acc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
at what level do my teammates stop threatening to report me?

• Locked thread