Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Mister Roboto posted:

Pratchett has a daughter now, perhaps this was his way of exploring what it's like to imagine the rottenness of men your little girl will encounter as she grows up.

When you say "now" you mean "has had a daughter since before he was writing Discworld books, right?" since she's about 34 and he's probably come to terms with her having crappy boyfriends by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

thebardyspoon posted:

When you say "now" you mean "has had a daughter since before he was writing Discworld books, right?" since she's about 34 and he's probably come to terms with her having crappy boyfriends by now.

Perhaps this was his manner of drawing from that experience, since he started writing the Tiffany Aching books over 10 years ago.

Mister Roboto fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Aug 16, 2011

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.
I've always considered Tiffany and Susan to be spiritual sisters, in that they're both outsiders who are considerably smarter and more talented than those around them who have to find a way to find an identity while still living in the (often terrible) world. However, the lesson of Susan was to always be yourself so hard that the world around you had no choice but to bend to your will and personality, while the lesson of Tiffany was to know yourself so well that you could fit in around the cracks of the world as it was and still come out whole.

I like Susan because she is unyielding, but I think Tiffany is a more realistic way of growing and thus a better subject for a YA series. But I still think Tiffany is just Susan with a few tweaks. And in that sense it makes sense that Esk would show up in this last book to sort of come full circle with his idea of outsider young women, since she was the first.

Mister Roboto, I like your idea about the books playing out the various types of relationships with men that a girl might have she grows up though. I'd never thought of it that way, but you could be right.

Then again I think about these types of things far too much. :)

Sophia fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Aug 16, 2011

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

My problem with ISWM is that it starts building up to something that never really happens. That second chapter with the Rough Music is absolutely fantastic, but nothing else in the book ever really lives up to it.

But anyone who tries to claim Pratchett is losing it is instantly disproven by Nation. I don't even understand how you can have that argument without somebody going "but Nation" and then the argument ends.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

FactsAreUseless posted:

My problem with ISWM is that it starts building up to something that never really happens. That second chapter with the Rough Music is absolutely fantastic, but nothing else in the book ever really lives up to it.

But anyone who tries to claim Pratchett is losing it is instantly disproven by Nation. I don't even understand how you can have that argument without somebody going "but Nation" and then the argument ends.

I'd assume these people who are saying he's "losing it" are probably saying it started with UA and carried on with ISWM. Nation was 08 wasn't it? I loved ISWM and liked UA but the complaints started with UA.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
I was thinking that maybe, just maybe Pratchett may be using up ALL of his ideas and ALL of the messages he wants to say before his time is up. Perhaps that's why the latter books have been a bit bloated in themes and characters.

The man is an author, he has burning ideas and words that need release and need to be said, and if my hourglass was running out, I'd make sure they WERE said.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Sophia posted:

I've always considered Tiffany and Susan to be spiritual sisters, in that they're both outsiders who are considerably smarter and more talented than those around them who have to find a way to find an identity while still living in the (often terrible) world. However, the lesson of Susan was to always be yourself so hard that the world around you had no choice but to bend to your will and personality, while the lesson of Tiffany was to know yourself so well that you could fit in around the cracks of the world as it was and still come out whole.

I like Susan because she is unyielding, but I think Tiffany is a more realistic way of growing and thus a better subject for a YA series. But I still think Tiffany is just Susan with a few tweaks. And in that sense it makes sense that Esk would show up in this last book to sort of come full circle with his idea of outsider young women, since she was the first.

Mister Roboto, I like your idea about the books playing out the various types of relationships with men that a girl might have she grows up though. I'd never thought of it that way, but you could be right.

Then again I think about these types of things far too much. :)
That just make me want just one more Susan book before it's too late :(

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Doesn't Death show up and start playing his guitar because the music-with-rocks-in-it is the song of chaos that will destroy the disc?

Not to nit-pick, but I'm going to pick the poo poo out of some nits.

Death shows up and doesn't so much wail on his guitar as play some sort of nothingness-chord, the one that apparently the other notes need in the same way that other numbers need zero. The music goes apeshit because this is the chord that basically kills reality, and Death blackmails the music into releasing its grip on Buddy so he can play some... other music? Or something? And this drowns out the nothing-chord or cancels it or whatever.

So basically he gambles the entire universe on getting Buddy to play something, which is totally in keeping with Death's whole "everything dies but everything is unique and thus each life is important" thing. That, or he was hoping to pick up some overtime.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
I think Pratchett might be just somewhat burned out on Discworld, which is why UA and such were subpar (still good, just not Discworld good), and Nation was loving fantastic. I don't think Alzheimer's has anything to do with it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

DontMockMySmock posted:

I think Pratchett might be just somewhat burned out on Discworld, which is why UA and such were subpar (still good, just not Discworld good), and Nation was loving fantastic. I don't think Alzheimer's has anything to do with it.
Or at least burning out on his main plot/setting. The last five Discworld books (Going Postal, Thud, Making Money, Unseen Academicals, Snuff) have all been set in Ankh-Morpork. I Shall Wear Midnight also featured Ankh-Morpork heavily, despite the Aching series being (mostly) separate from the main books before. Before Going Postal was Monstrous Regiment, which featured Vimes, and then Night Watch. I get the feeling that Pratchett's trying to build up to some sort of Renaissance or close to and close out the main setting of the series, but I could easily see him burning out on it. Even though we could have a continuation/spinoff of the Witches series with Pastor Oats, and we get hints that something big could be happening in Uberwald with the re-emergence of remnants of the Evil Empire (which I like better as a distant and barely-mentioned idea, rather than an actual evil empire, which wouldn't fit the Discworld books at all), we're just finding out about it through more AM-centric books.

So perhaps it's not a surprise that Nation, with a completely different setting, is his best in years.

modig
Aug 20, 2002
I haven't read UA, because I assumed it would suck, because every single instance of the Wizards in the University is boring and unfunny. Does anybody actually enjoy the Wizards? I've spent a lot of time in academia, I just got a phd, I should be like the prime audience for the Wizards. I should check out ISWM.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

modig posted:

Does anybody actually enjoy the Wizards?
I like them, but I've never felt they should be the focus of a book. I liked them a lot in Soul Music, Reaper Man, Moving Pictures, and Hogfather. Unseen Academicals is mostly focused on other characters at the university, though. It's worth reading, but it feels like two plots smashed together. The subplots don't really tie together very well.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

modig posted:

Does anybody actually enjoy the Wizards?

I like the bumbling old wizards and they are one of my favorite parts of Hogfather.I also prefered the wizards to the soccer story in UA.

But they are very easy to overdose on. The weird supermarket plot in Reaper Man (an otherwise fantastic book) does get a bit long-winded. (Hut.)

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.
The Last Continent had a ludicrous plot but for some reason I always found the wizard interactions leading up to discovering the island and figuring out what it was incredibly hilarious for some reason. I think I just really like Ridcully and what an unrepentant rear end in a top hat he is.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

Or at least burning out on his main plot/setting. The last five Discworld books (Going Postal, Thud, Making Money, Unseen Academicals, Snuff) have all been set in Ankh-Morpork. I Shall Wear Midnight also featured Ankh-Morpork heavily, despite the Aching series being (mostly) separate from the main books before. Before Going Postal was Monstrous Regiment, which featured Vimes, and then Night Watch. I get the feeling that Pratchett's trying to build up to some sort of Renaissance or close to and close out the main setting of the series, but I could easily see him burning out on it. Even though we could have a continuation/spinoff of the Witches series with Pastor Oats, and we get hints that something big could be happening in Uberwald with the re-emergence of remnants of the Evil Empire (which I like better as a distant and barely-mentioned idea, rather than an actual evil empire, which wouldn't fit the Discworld books at all), we're just finding out about it through more AM-centric books.

So perhaps it's not a surprise that Nation, with a completely different setting, is his best in years.

Pratchett's writings have always been about dragging modern established ideas into a fantasy world. I always thought that with the Great Undertaking happening, he seems to be modernising Ankh Morpork in preparation for Vetinari's death (or perhaps his own). Once everything is finished, presumably Ankh Morpork and by extension, the Discworld series will be done.

Besides, the man's been writing for almost 30 years. Not only has he, as a writer matured but your own personal tastes have changed as well.

ps. Wizzards are awesome.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Kegslayer posted:

Pratchett's writings have always been about dragging modern established ideas into a fantasy world. I always thought that with the Great Undertaking happening, he seems to be modernising Ankh Morpork in preparation for Vetinari's death (or perhaps his own). Once everything is finished, presumably Ankh Morpork and by extension, the Discworld series will be done.

Besides, the man's been writing for almost 30 years. Not only has he, as a writer matured but your own personal tastes have changed as well.
I like what he's doing with Ankh-Morpork and the Great Undertaking, actually. I just wonder if he's starting to burn out on the setting, trying to get in everything he wants to do with it while he still has time.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
There seems to be a whole range of opinions on this. I posted mine in this thread a while back, but my own experience is that Making Money was a great read, Unseen Academicals was pretty good (I didn't have any major problems with the plotting or the prose) and ISWM just fell down almost completely with grating, unpolished prose and plotting for like 80% of the book.

I haven't read the leaked pages and don't really want to, but I do hope that if they are that rough, someone saved them in time. I really don't want the Watch to go out on a mechanically discordant note the way Tiffany did. :(

edit: Also, I love the urban Victorian/industrial revolution books. If he and his helpers can finish Raising Taxes and do it justice, there's really nothing else I'd like as much to see before the end.

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Aug 19, 2011

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

JerryLee posted:

ISWM just fell down almost completely with grating, unpolished prose and plotting

There's the kicker. Unpolished.

People are quick to wonder if Terry's condition is the cause of the decline of the book quality, but what if it's actually the editors who aren't doing their jobs? Perhaps they are only human and feel bad for the man, and as such aren't able to be as, well, vicious with the cutting? Think about how hard it must be for his editors who have worked with him for 20 years. They once were able to have (kindhearted and well-meaning) disagreements over this word and that plot point and this clever pun. Now the poor man's slowly deteriorating; perhaps they just don't have the heart to tell their old friend "your ideas here aren't any good anymore."

It'd just be too cruel.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Sep 12, 2014

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Jesto posted:

Mr. Pump's dress, his 'competing' with Adora for Lipwig and developing a bit of a personality for character development. Completely abandoned.

I agree with everything else but this was in Making Money and not Going Postal, Mr Pump is the parole officer and the golem that competes with Adora for Lipwig is the one they paint with a pink dress to clean the womens toilets in the post office, she becomes his secretary in MM and Terry does a Fatal Attraction parody.

Something I read about the Adora smoking thing is that portraying someone as an unrepentant smoker who enjoys it is very difficult to justify to the people in charge of TV stuff. So you have to portray smoking as something you're driven too or as a bad habit you should drop as soon as possible.

I'm with you in that I didn't enjoy most of Going Postal, Hogfather is probably the best. It's mostly Susan, Teatime and Death and they're all cast drat well and David Jason is ok as Albert instead of terrible as Rincewind. I don't think they cut out very much at all either which is strange since it's a longer book than Going Postal.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Aug 19, 2011

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Sep 12, 2014

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Jesto posted:

The actor who playe Vetinari looked absolutely nothing like him, lacking even the most prominent characteristics of Vetinari in the books, but that's permissable. He did a decent job with his role, so why should I care if he lacks black hair and a goatee?

The only truly spot on casting was Stanley. My god, his character leapt right onto the screen, he looks, sounds and acts exactly like Stanley in the books did. They even gave the idea of using pins to make stamps to Stanley instead of Moist like was in the book, which I appreciated. Really made the kid seem useful.
I bagged on the movie and the casting in another thread (or this one?) but come on, Vetinari, Stanley and Groats were absolutely perfect.

I have no idea why you didn't mention Reacher, either - that was the worst casting/scripting choice in the entire debacle.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Aug 19, 2011

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

Xander77 posted:

I bagged on the movie and the casting in another thread (or this one?) but come on, Vetinari, Stanley and Groats were absolutely perfect.

I have no idea why you didn't mention Reacher, either - that was the worst casting/scripting choice in the entire debacle.

I remember wondering when it came out if Reacher Gilt in the book was a little too close to Rupert Murdock for some people's taste. So, with or without specific direction from management at Sky, they purposely changed the character so that nobody might think was meant to represent Murdock.

This is not to say that Pratchett meant Gilt to represent Rupert Murdock specifically, but I think that he represents a certain kind of business figure, and Murdock falls into that category.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I'm not actually that familiar with Rupert Murdoc, but is he a one-eyed pirate? Because of he's not, the only thing that could remind people of him is the scheme - which can't be changed that much without destroying the plot.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Reacher Gilt seems more like a train company owner or something back in the days when they were starting up or an oil baron today, disregarding safety for profits and all that. The dude working with CMOT Dibbler in The Truth seems more like Murdoch and News International.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Reacher Gilt is Daniel Plainview, not Poirot. I was pretty annoyed about that but then I knew this was getting made by Sky and so it'd be beating you over the head with a stick saying Only Joking!!!! after every point made.

And Charles Dance as Vetinari was perfect, what the hell is wrong with you people?

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
I was looking something else up, saw a name and thought, isn't that a street in Ankh-Morpork?:aaa:

The Dolly Sisters:

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Kerbtree posted:

I was looking something else up, saw a name and thought, isn't that a street in Ankh-Morpork?:aaa:

The Dolly Sisters:

Yes, we heard what happened up at Dolly Sisters and we're not happy about it either.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Iacen posted:

I like the bumbling old wizards and they are one of my favorite parts of Hogfather.I also prefered the wizards to the soccer story in UA.

Whatever one thinks of the "olde school" wizards, how in the world can one not enjoy Ponder Stibbons and the "new magic" plots/subplots?

Also, the loving Bursar, man. The loving Bursar.

And if you read all the books you realize that Ridcully is actually one of the most well-defined characters in the series in terms of backstory (spoilers) and personality.

Really, who doesn't like the wizards? Even their titles are great. It's a pitch-perfect satire of British school systems.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

precision posted:

And if you read all the books you realize that Ridcully is actually one of the most well-defined characters in the series in terms of backstory (spoilers) and personality.

The guy who suddenly changed from a country squire to a city butcher's son over the course of one book?

Also, most people have never been to a British school, and it's not really a universal institution as a target for satire.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Xander77 posted:

The guy who suddenly changed from a country squire to a city butcher's son over the course of one book?

Also, most people have never been to a British school, and it's not really a universal institution as a target for satire.

Most people in Britain have.

I don't know where you're from, but it doesn't sound very important.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Xander77 posted:

Considering Reacher Gilt is suppose to be a more evil and matured version of Moist, they should have just had Richard Coyle in a fat suit with a parrot on his shoulder and an extremely fake wig and beard.

The only retcon or change that I haven't liked so far was to the character of Drumknott. Most of the older books suggest that he's just as devious as Wonse was and probably just below Vetinari's level of intelligence but the newer ones seem to paint him as a clueless but efficient bureaucrat.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Kegslayer posted:

The only retcon or change that I haven't liked so far was to the character of Drumknott. Most of the older books suggest that he's just as devious as Wonse was and probably just below Vetinari's level of intelligence but the newer ones seem to paint him as a clueless but efficient bureaucrat.

Someone as devious as Wonse and nearly as smart as Vetinari would no doubt make an effort to appear clueless but efficient.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Kegslayer posted:

Where does Drumknott appear that way? The first time Vimes and him have a serious conversation when Vetinari is poisoned suggests that Drumknott is a clean-cut rule-abiding type.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Xander77 posted:

Clearly you haven't read all the books. Esme.

quote:

Terry Pratchett is British. Would you complain about all the specifically-British references in Monty Python? :psyduck:

modig
Aug 20, 2002

precision posted:

Clearly you haven't read all the books. Esme.

Terry Pratchett is British. Would you complain about all the specifically-British references in Monty Python? :psyduck:

Yes, I would, and do.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
So the film Animal House should be disregarded because not everyone lives in a country with frat houses?

Ghostbusters underlying theme of bureaucratic interference in the name of "environmental protection" is irrelevant because at that time in history it was pretty much only Americans who were stick-up-rear end stubborn about it?

Basically what I'm asking here is that any humor which is based on one cultural bugbear is unnecessary? I can't wrap my mind around that, at all, period, full stop, point blank.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

precision posted:

I would complain about people who go "Monty Python is funny because they make so many British-specific references", duh.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

precision posted:

I have to say one of the only parts of any of Pratchett's books that is obviously and specifically British is the discussion of currency in Making Money. I don't see how any American is supposed to understand this:

quote:

'It's ruinous, sir, it really is. Y'see, it costs a ha'penny to make a farthin' an' nearly a penny to make a ha'penny. A penny comes in at a penny farthin'. Sixpences costs tuppence farthin', so we're in pocket there. Half a dollar costs seven pence. And it's only sixpence to make a dollar, a definite improvement, but that's 'cos we does 'em here. The real buggers are the mites, 'cos they're worth half a farthin' but cost sixpence 'cos it's fiddly work, their bein' so small and havin' that hole in the middle. The thruppenny bit, sir, we've only got a couple of people makin' those, a lot of work which runs out at seven pence. And don't ask me about the tuppenny piece!'

The inefficiency of the mint is a central plot point. I think Pratchett would have done better just speaking in generic terms rather then throwing out a ton of very specific references that a huge chunk of his audience has no chance of understanding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

How British people reading his books do you guys think have dealt with a farthing?

I suddenly curious about this.