Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

alkanphel posted:

Yeah I know it's a sin to chop people off at the wrists or ankles so I can only say I failed at framing her properly :(

Awkward limb-chopping is something I usually harp on, but in this case it's secondary to how tightly crammed-in she feels in the frame. Even her pose conveys being squished into a box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

McMadCow posted:

Awkward limb-chopping is something I usually harp on, but in this case it's secondary to how tightly crammed-in she feels in the frame. Even her pose conveys being squished into a box.
Too tightly cropped? How much space do you think I should give on the sides?

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

alkanphel posted:

Too tightly cropped? How much space do you think I should give on the sides?

It's not just the sides, but also the top of the frame. I would already be looking at this shot and think she's too tightly framed for the distance you shot her at. But looking at her pose in combination with the framing makes it an obvious one.
There's little to no space above her head and look at how her head is posed: she looks like she's slightly cocking her head to slip under a low door.
There's no space to her sides and her arms and shoulders are pulled in as if squeezing through a tight space as well.

I don't really have an exact amount of space to tell you since photographs aren't math problems, but you definitely need more in this case.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
I'd say that another couple inches above her head would be fine. I don't think the wrists look terrible, but it would look better if you cropped it halfway up her forearms... just above her bracelet.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".

RangerScum posted:

I'd say that another couple inches above her head would be fine. I don't think the wrists look terrible, but it would look better if you cropped it halfway up her forearms... just above her bracelet.

That's what I was thinking too. But yeah I agree with McMadCow... the way she's posed it begs for tight framing. I'm in a dillema over that one but it's a nice picture.

Subjunctivitis
Oct 12, 2007
Causation or Correlation?
I learned the hard way with shooting too many pictures with no room to appropriately crop, so I now intentionally shoot with plenty of room to crop how I like (especially handheld). It's kinda tough to get used to shooting that way, but cropping's become a very important step in my post workflow.

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

Subjunctivitis posted:

I learned the hard way with shooting too many pictures with no room to appropriately crop, so I now intentionally shoot with plenty of room to crop how I like (especially handheld). It's kinda tough to get used to shooting that way, but cropping's become a very important step in my post workflow.

Yeah this is a very good point, leaving room around the subject will help when you do your straightening / crop. This is ESSENTIAL for kids, fast moving stuff, animals etc.

One thing, though, that I would specify is that you should do this by taking steps back rather than changing the focal length.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Honestly I don't think it's a bad idea to try to get your comp right in-camera. Its a good way to visualize the final picture. Not to mention, not all of us have the option of cropping. :)

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.
Steampunk style this time.
Commissioned work for a Melbourne based Steampunk themed event.

Kerry X - Steam Up #2 by Rick0r McZany, on Flickr

Kerry X - Steam Up #1 by Rick0r McZany, on Flickr

Kerry X - Steam Up #3 by Rick0r McZany, on Flickr

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Cyberbob posted:

Steampunk!

These are all really nicely done! I think the only thing I'd really criticize is in the third shot. The angle she's looking at us is extremely steep, and it's a bit awkward. Still, these are all really solid. Good job.

My Flickr Page! :nws:

Subjunctivitis
Oct 12, 2007
Causation or Correlation?

Cyberbob posted:

Steampunk style this time.
Commissioned work for a Melbourne based Steampunk themed event.

Ooh, great work. I especially love the first one.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4

McMadCow posted:

Honestly I don't think it's a bad idea to try to get your comp right in-camera. Its a good way to visualize the final picture. Not to mention, not all of us have the option of cropping. :)

I totally agree. Get your comp right in camera first, because if you're relying on post to sort it out, you stop thinking about what compositions work and what looks good and you take less and less care over what is arguably the most important element of any work, especially a portrait.

It's a bit like relying on spellcheck to correct your words for you - over time, you become worse at spelling.

Not that I never use crop, but it should be a tool of salvation.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Thanks for all the advice! There is actually some extra space to play with so let me adjust the crop and put it up later to see how it looks.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
To be honest, I think her bodyshape is uncomfortable enough looking that even with a spacious crop it's still going to have the illusion of being cramped. Her head, as mentioned, is sloped at an awkward angle, which emphasizes that her shoulders are pulled back, tight and not at the same height (which in turn looks quite uncomfortable).

I like the way you've managed to get the headphones in without making them distracting, and the lighting looks fine, but I have to question if you posed her at all or just let her do her own thing?

"Gazmachine" posted:

I totally agree. Get your comp right in camera first, because if you're relying on post to sort it out, you stop thinking about what compositions work and what looks good and you take less and less care over what is arguably the most important element of any work, especially a portrait.

Agree. I spent most of last night talking to a friend who was completely unaware of the effort that can go into a portrait before, during, and after the primary stage of taking the photo. I went through a dozen or so great portraits (by other photographers, naturally) pointing out what, if any, post work had been done in each in my opinion. She was a bit shocked by all of that, thinking it was just a case of "good photographer takes great photo, you look good". But by the end she understood that without a good comp, with good light, a strong pose, and (barring headshots) a sense of character... it really doesn't matter what you do in post.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".

IMG_7425 by avoyer, on Flickr

Finally have the time to start retouching those pictures!

Edit: Re-edited with Paragon8's comment

xenilk fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Feb 4, 2012

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

xenilk posted:

IMG_7425 by avoyer, on Flickr

Finally have the time to start retouching those pictures!

If I had to hold it to a high standard I would say the eyebrow piercing kills it for me. It doesn't fit the tone or styling of the image at all.

That's a heavy nitpick though, otherwise it's a lovely boudoir shot. Not overtly sexy or sexual even, just sort of poised beauty.

Another nitpick is that lampshade from that angle just looks like a sinister black megalith.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

Paragon8 posted:

If I had to hold it to a high standard I would say the eyebrow piercing kills it for me. It doesn't fit the tone or styling of the image at all.

That's a heavy nitpick though, otherwise it's a lovely boudoir shot. Not overtly sexy or sexual even, just sort of poised beauty.

Another nitpick is that lampshade from that angle just looks like a sinister black megalith.

Yeah I hate her piercing, I'm thinking of removing it from all the pictures. haha :/

I'm happy with how her shots came out, very soft and sensual... not trashy at all, which is how I see boudoir

Edit: uploaded an updated version

xenilk fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Feb 4, 2012

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

use liquify to thicken that eyebrow a bit!

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

Paragon8 posted:

use liquify to thicken that eyebrow a bit!

I'll have to experiment, I'm usually fairly good when it comes to liquify but I can't get that eyebrow bigger without it looking super weird.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Photoshoot today, just trying out a few different effects and techniques. I really like the backlight effect so I've been playing around with that for the first two.

IMG_8085 by AceClown79, on Flickr

IMG_8111 by AceClown79, on Flickr

IMG_8139 by AceClown79, on Flickr

As for the processing, I found myself doing the same basic processing on all my pictures so I was just trying some other stuff to see how it looked.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

The Clit Avoider posted:

I like the way you've managed to get the headphones in without making them distracting, and the lighting looks fine, but I have to question if you posed her at all or just let her do her own thing?
Yeah there's definitely a lot more improvement I can do for future portraits. For this shoot tho I just let her do her own thing.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

IMG_7506 by avoyer, on Flickr

Mathturbator
Oct 12, 2004
Funny original quote

AceClown posted:

Photoshoot today, just trying out a few different effects and techniques. I really like the backlight effect so I've been playing around with that for the first two.

IMG_8085 by AceClown79, on Flickr
As for the processing, I found myself doing the same basic processing on all my pictures so I was just trying some other stuff to see how it looked.
I think the PP works in that it made me think of an indoor pool situation - the blue tint and bikini made me do it! I think the pose in the picture quoted here is a bit unflattering, because the bit of her back showing makes her look heavy (which I don't think she is).
In the last picture there's a blue glow between her chin. I think that may be a sideeffect of the PP?

(Would you mind sharing the steps you did in post?)

Clown
Mar 4, 2004
Rent this space!

xenilk posted:

IMG_7506 by avoyer, on Flickr
Not that I know about people pictures, but there's a shadow above her top lip that I keep seeing. I don't know what's wrong with me.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Mathturbator posted:

I think the PP works in that it made me think of an indoor pool situation - the blue tint and bikini made me do it! I think the pose in the picture quoted here is a bit unflattering, because the bit of her back showing makes her look heavy (which I don't think she is).
In the last picture there's a blue glow between her chin. I think that may be a sideeffect of the PP?

(Would you mind sharing the steps you did in post?)

Yeah, I get what you mean about her back, but it's a trade off between losing the elbow and half the tattoo if I crop it out.

Not really sure I can help with the processing, I was kinda clicking and sliding till I had something that looked good, sorry :(

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.
Took some pictures for my brother and his fiancee a while ago.

IMG_2953 by Breanne Unger, on Flickr

IMG_2959 by Breanne Unger, on Flickr

IMG_2832 by Breanne Unger, on Flickr

They were really happy with them, but I feel like they aren't my best. I can't tell if it's the lack of color - so much snow, or the processing or what, but I'm just not 100% happy with them. I tried a bunch of processing, but I found this basic look worked best. I also did a bunch that were aggressively desaturated which they really liked. Any other ideas?

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
This guy's name is Tom.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

Clown posted:

Not that I know about people pictures, but there's a shadow above her top lip that I keep seeing. I don't know what's wrong with me.

I don't see it?! :( haha do you mean the place right under her nose?! I'm not sure how I could fix that without making it look photoshopped, ha ha... I think it's natural hollow ( ? )

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.
(Crosspost from SAD)

Meow.

Catwoman #1 by Rick0r McZany, on Flickr

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not
I'm not really sure if this constitutes portraiture, but this thread seems the best fit and I like this photo a bunch.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

Cyberbob posted:

(Crosspost from SAD)

Meow.

Catwoman #1 by Rick0r McZany, on Flickr

This is a good shot, and the outfit is even better, but my biggest complaint is that light right in the center. That becomes the focal point; my eyes go right to it. Even when I look away, BAM, back to the light.

I think this would be vastly, vastly improved if the light was directly behind her head, so the viewer never saw it. It would also give her a wonderful rim lighting, which would help the black stand out against the dark background.

OJ.SImpson
Jan 20, 2001

CarrotFlowers posted:

Took some pictures for my brother and his fiancee a while ago.

They were really happy with them, but I feel like they aren't my best. I can't tell if it's the lack of color - so much snow, or the processing or what, but I'm just not 100% happy with them. I tried a bunch of processing, but I found this basic look worked best. I also did a bunch that were aggressively desaturated which they really liked. Any other ideas?

I would love to see the aggressively desaturated ones. I think you are being a bit hard on yourself. The couple look great and the processing is clean, sharp and vibrant. Bottom image is my fave despite your brother not being 100% into it.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

OJ.SImpson posted:

I would love to see the aggressively desaturated ones. I think you are being a bit hard on yourself. The couple look great and the processing is clean, sharp and vibrant. Bottom image is my fave despite your brother not being 100% into it.

I think that's the reason they aren't my favourite. I was too focused on the settings, on the composition, that I didn't focus enough on letting them show their personalities and letting them get really comfortable. It was "pose here like this, okay next" and not enough just letting them goof off like they usually do and really get into it. Neither of them are really comfortable in front of a camera either, so that didn't help, but I know that's part of my job so I'll work on it.

For curiosity's sake, here are some of the desaturated ones.

IMG_2890-2 by Breanne Unger, on Flickr

IMG_2968-2 by Breanne Unger, on Flickr
Her ring is twisted in this one... :(

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

CarrotFlowers posted:

It was "pose here like this, okay next" and not enough just letting them goof off like they usually do and really get into it. Neither of them are really comfortable in front of a camera either, so that didn't help, but I know that's part of my job so I'll work on it.

I feel your pain, that happened to me when I did a shoot at -22F and felt bad for the model and screwed up royally. I think you did far better than what I did. The scenery is awesome and they do seem into it. You're being harsh on yourself, which is good but you deserve a tap on the back for your good work :)

Next time just take it easy and see how they naturally react with the elements around them. My shoot consist of 30-40% "pose like that" and 60-70% of "wait stay exactly like that but raise your chin/look at me" :)

Edit: For example I was shooting this model

IMG_7831-Edit by avoyer, on Flickr

She was kind of resting like that in between shots and since she's so skinny I saw it would work for her (usually having your arms close to your body makes you look wayyy bigger)... so I just told her right away "could you stay like that, cross your legs and slightly look my way"... *click*

I also like to see how people see/stand naturally... usually give you some ideas that you can go from which will reveal a lot from their character... since they usually look like that.

xenilk fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Feb 7, 2012

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Is this too saturated and/or warm? I hate my monitor.

First portrait shoot with the D700. Slicker than snake poo poo. Once I figure out post processing, I'll be in business.

E: Is this any better? One less filter, and no final sharpen, I think:

red19fire fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Feb 7, 2012

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

red19fire posted:

First portrait shoot with the D700. Slicker than snake poo poo. Once I figure out post processing, I'll be in business.

Assuming those dots on her top are supposed to be white, it's a little too yellow/magenta in my opinion.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

2 portraits from the same session. I'll probably arrange them as a diptych for hanging. Slightly :nws:

Lindsay by McMadCow, on Flickr

Lindsay by McMadCow, on Flickr

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

xenilk posted:

IMG_7831-Edit by avoyer, on Flickr

She's got that eye thing going on that now bugs me in photos - there are certain angles that make people look bug-eyed even though they're not. I got a couple of them today.

red19fire posted:

It seems like you've warmed it in the wrong way. Are you shooting JPEG or RAW, by the way?

It's been a mostly functional week this week and will continue to be so for Wednesday and Friday: I'm basically providing reference shots for hair and make up. Thursday will be a bit more creative as I'm doing an editorial piece. Not sure how exciting it will be, though - depends on the interior and how much time I'm given (probably about 45 seconds).

Here's one that was less boring from today, because veils.

Gazmachine fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Feb 7, 2012

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Gazmachine posted:

It seems like you've warmed it in the wrong way. Are you shooting JPEG or RAW, by the way?

Shooting in raw, which I convert to a tif for processing in GIMP, then finally convert to a jpg. Linux is for Pros only :smug: I like skin that looks warm, but I don't know how warm is too warm, apparently.

E: yes, I boosted the WB about 200 Kelvin in the processor, from Flash +1A in-camera. Some dumb GIMP filter warmed the poo poo out of it.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Feb 8, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

red19fire posted:

Shooting in raw, which I convert to a tif for processing in GIMP, then finally convert to a jpg. Linux is for Pros only :smug: I like skin that looks warm, but I don't know how warm is too warm, apparently.

Ah, OK. You should mess around with the colour temperature when it is still a RAW file, using something like Lightroom or Adobe Camera RAW, or anything that allows you to develop your image in RAW format. Then, when you have your colour temp, convert it to jpg.

EDIT: Wait, or are you already doing that?