Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Keep your 'lectric eye on me, babe
Given American tourists I've met you are likelier to stand out by your footwear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pandariot
Feb 19, 2012

Are there any German dept stores that will ship to the US?

I'm trying to buy something like this: http://www.galeria-kaufhof.de/store/p/Fischer-Altbier-Glas-0-2-l/1004779035

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

pandariot posted:

Are there any German dept stores that will ship to the US?

I'm trying to buy something like this: http://www.galeria-kaufhof.de/store/p/Fischer-Altbier-Glas-0-2-l/1004779035

Try amazon.de

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

niethan posted:

What type of surgery and scars are these? What is your general style?

I normally don't wear hats but I had large mole removed on my forehead and the surgeon said I need to wear a hat. I go outdoors a bit so my only hat is a Tilley. I think I'll just wear a bandaid over it with sunblock.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

sonatinas posted:

I normally don't wear hats but I had large mole removed on my forehead and the surgeon said I need to wear a hat. I go outdoors a bit so my only has is a Tilley. I think I'll just wear a bandaid over it with sunblock.

Yes a bandaid would probably be best but if you want a cap you could wear a snapback or something.

re:beerglass: http://www.amazon.de/s/ref=a9_sc_1?rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Aaltbierglas&keywords=altbierglas&ie=UTF8&qid=1377629909

pandariot
Feb 19, 2012

I keep getting this error message:

Dieser Artikel kann leider nicht an den von Ihnen gewünschten Ort versandt werden. Sie können entweder die Versandadresse ändern oder den Artikel aus Ihrer Bestellung löschen, indem Sie die Stückzahl auf 0 setzen und anschließend auf "Aktualisieren" klicken.

So no shipping to the US I guess.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

pandariot posted:

I keep getting this error message:

Dieser Artikel kann leider nicht an den von Ihnen gewünschten Ort versandt werden. Sie können entweder die Versandadresse ändern oder den Artikel aus Ihrer Bestellung löschen, indem Sie die Stückzahl auf 0 setzen und anschließend auf "Aktualisieren" klicken.

So no shipping to the US I guess.

Probably cause all those glasses are from people selling through amazon not amazon themselves.
These are eligible for prime so should be from amazon directly
http://www.amazon.de/s/ref=nb_sb_no...Abierglas&ajr=2

pandariot
Feb 19, 2012

Perfect! Thank you!

The Gay Bean
Apr 19, 2004
I'm a masters student in engineering, and the Karsruhe Institute of Technology has a great program for my research area. I'm thinking about throwing my hat into the ring for 2015.

Two main questions.

-I studied German for two years in university and got to lower-intermediate level. A lot of that is gone, but I'm continually surprising myself by how much I still actually know. I think I could get up to a decent conversational level by 2015, but I have little chance of developing a technical vocabulary by that time. Would I be likely to get accepted to a PhD program without a thorough knowledge of German? Are German universities like a lot of other countries, in that a lot of their technical course material is written in English and any exam answers and written reports can also be submitted in English?

2. I'm an American citizen. How is this likely to affect funding? Are PhD stipends plentiful, and if you have one, does it tend to cover living expenses?

Previously on GBS
Jul 13, 2007
What kind of program is that? As a PhD student in Germany you don't usually need to take any classes and if you're in engineering/computer science/math you're paid a pretty decent salary (40+K)

The Gay Bean
Apr 19, 2004
I'm interested in their robotics navigation program. It's a hybrid of mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, and computer science.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
There are two options: You bring a stipend from some international program or you get paid a salary from your Uni (or other institution). The latter depends on how much funding your professor has available, but in engineering it is typically a full salary as mentioned. It is common for phd students to work in English. You just have to convice a professor to hire you.

The Gay Bean
Apr 19, 2004
That's just life, though. :) If things go well, my publication record should look pretty good by the time it's time to apply.

Thanks for the info, it will help my decision making process.

Generator
Jan 14, 2008

I can't help you with the PhD side of things, but I can tell you Karlsruhe is a nice place to live. Even if, due to Strassenbahn work in the centre, it is a bit of a building site at the moment!

If you have any questions about the city, let me know.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

The Gay Bean posted:

I'm a masters student in engineering, and the Karsruhe Institute of Technology has a great program for my research area. I'm thinking about throwing my hat into the ring for 2015.

Two main questions.

-I studied German for two years in university and got to lower-intermediate level. A lot of that is gone, but I'm continually surprising myself by how much I still actually know. I think I could get up to a decent conversational level by 2015, but I have little chance of developing a technical vocabulary by that time. Would I be likely to get accepted to a PhD program without a thorough knowledge of German? Are German universities like a lot of other countries, in that a lot of their technical course material is written in English and any exam answers and written reports can also be submitted in English?

2. I'm an American citizen. How is this likely to affect funding? Are PhD stipends plentiful, and if you have one, does it tend to cover living expenses?

You shouldn't run into much German, except at the administrative office.
A friend of mine is doing his PhD at that institute, he is from Vietnam and doesn't speak any German. He is trying to learn it a bit because he'll be there for a while, but it is certainly not a requirement normally, unless you have to work with German language data or something like that.

And yeah, PhD programs are like jobs here. You have to wait for one to open up, and apply, and interview. There should be little to no coursework, and not necessarily teaching duties either.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy
Ich wuerde gern ein paar ICE-Fahrten zwischen Frankfurt, Berlin und Hamburg und wieder zurueck nach Frankfurt fuer gegen Ende Dezember / Anfang Januar buchen. Auf der Website der Bahn kommt diese obergeile Super-Meldung:

quote:

"Leider kann die elektronische Reiseauskunft derzeit nur Auskünfte vom 09.12.12 bis zum 14.12.13 geben. Vielen Dank für Ihr Verständnis."

What should this? What has this to mean you Shveinhunts? :argh:
Weiss jemand, wann die ihren Kram mal updaten? Kann man wenigstens sonst irgendwo nachsehen? Vielen Dank!

Translation: The current timetable on the website of the German railways only runs until December 14, but I'd like to book some rides around the end of the year and early January. When are they going to update? Is there a way to at least inquire about their schedule after that? Thank you!

Generator
Jan 14, 2008

flavor posted:

Ich wuerde gern ein paar ICE-Fahrten zwischen Frankfurt, Berlin und Hamburg und wieder zurueck nach Frankfurt fuer gegen Ende Dezember / Anfang Januar buchen. Auf der Website der Bahn kommt diese obergeile Super-Meldung:

What should this? What has this to mean you Shveinhunts? :argh:
Weiss jemand, wann die ihren Kram mal updaten? Kann man wenigstens sonst irgendwo nachsehen? Vielen Dank!

Translation: The current timetable on the website of the German railways only runs until December 14, but I'd like to book some rides around the end of the year and early January. When are they going to update? Is there a way to at least inquire about their schedule after that? Thank you!

You can only book tickets up to 3 months in advance. To book tickets for early January, you will have to wait until early October.

Also, as far as I know, the schedule stays basically the same, so you can look for trains on the same day/time but a month or so earlier.

Generator fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Sep 9, 2013

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
My experience tells me that sometimes it isn't EXACTLY 90 days either. It's usually more like ~80 days +/-5 days, just releasing the schedule as they see fit.

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Keep your 'lectric eye on me, babe
The national train schedules have to be coordinated with the international train schedules of all nations in the European railway network. This obviously is a quite complicated process.

The Deutsche Bahn simply can't sell you the tickets now because they themselves don't know for sure when and if the trains will run next year.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Don't you wish we had someone who could make the trains run on time?

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Mussolini made the trains run on thyme.

</xkcd>

Buch die Tickets, sobald sie verfügbar sind - also genau 90 Tage vorher - dann hast du die besten Chancen, was zum Sparpreis zu bekommen, und das ist oft erheblich weniger als du regulär zahlen würdest. Ich weiß nur nicht, ob du dann die Rückfahrt auch 90 Tage vor der Hinfahrt buchen kannst, oder ob die Rückfahrt 90 Tage vor der Rückfahrt gebucht werden muss. Ein Freund von mir ist immer um null Uhr des jeweiligen Stichtages zum Ticketautomaten...

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy
Thanks, I'll do that. No Deutsche Bahn ticket machines around here though, so it'll have to be online.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

That reminds me - try these guys: http://www.kopfbahnhof.info - they work some magic and get you really cheap tickets because sometimes it'll be cheaper to book a ticket a bit further than you're actually going except you actually leave the train earlier. Might be worth their fee. My aunt swears by them. Haven't looked if they do online bookings though.

bavarian
Jun 30, 2007

Generator posted:

You can only book tickets up to 3 months in advance. To book tickets for early January, you will have to wait until early October.

Or even longer: There is the usual 80-90 days limit, and there is December's timetable change. Throughout the year, it is at least possible to check times much longer in advance than 80-90 days - whereas this is not possible now for anything after December 14th. In the last years, this usually lasted up to end of October, early November.

Not sure who thought it a good idea to move the European timetable change from May to December about ten years ago. End of may might not have been perfect, but delaying sales for the christmas-new years' rush?

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004
I know Germans love insurance and I myself already have a haftpflichtversicherung, but beyond liability insurance and maybe homeowner's/renter's insurance, do most Germans get stuff like occupational disability insurance, etc.?

bavarian
Jun 30, 2007

Gold and a Pager posted:

I know Germans love insurance and I myself already have a haftpflichtversicherung, but beyond liability insurance and maybe homeowner's/renter's insurance, do most Germans get stuff like occupational disability insurance, etc.?

Here is some data from 2009: http://www.finanzzeug.de/neue-studie-wie-die-deutschen-haushalte-versichert-sind-412 (yes, it says "Quelle: Versicherungsjournal")

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
I am going to Berlin in about a month, friday until tuesday. On monday I'm going to a concert but I am free on friday evening and whole saturday / sunday. Some suggestions on what to do?

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Berghain/Kater Holzig on sunday morning (or any other time if you're feeling masochistic)

Any preferences regarding food, music, shopping, museums, art? It's difficult to give recommendations if you're broad like that. Also which district are you staying in?

UglyMrBurns
May 31, 2013
Couple of weeks now before I head off to Leipzig, is there any real english student presence there or will I stand out a fair amount?
Also I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for fun stuff to do/ways to meet people in October/November,
I like the sound of Werk II and in general the music scene in Leipzig seems pretty interesting so stuff like that is right up my alley
haven't been so excited and nervous in a very long time and it doesn't help that I'm so unprepared.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

Zwille posted:

Berghain/Kater Holzig on sunday morning (or any other time if you're feeling masochistic)

Any preferences regarding food, music, shopping, museums, art? It's difficult to give recommendations if you're broad like that. Also which district are you staying in?

Honestly I don't know where I'm staying. I have a friend who will pick me up from the airport, then we will go to her place. I'll ask!

Honestly I'd just like to go to some funpark with rollercoasters, but I dunno if October weather will allow it. I'd also like to see some of the landmarks like Brandenburg Gate, the remainings of the Berlin Wall or the Reichstag building. Do you know any gothic cathedrals or churches? I like that kinda stuff

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

There's an abandoned amusement park to the east but it's guarded as of lately. Also probably not what you meant by amusement park, it's more of a STALKER experience :v: But yeah, sometimes there are fairs around the city, but nothing spectacular & October is lovely anyway.

Landmarks: Brandenburg Gate is at S Brandenburger Tor (duh), then there's Alexanderplatz (you can guess the station's name) with the TV tower, also has the Berlin Dom nearby (which is more baroque than gothic I think), Zoologischer Garten has the ruins of the Kaiser Wilhelm Gedächtniskirche and you should probably take a look at KaDeWe at U Wittenbergplatz, used to be one of the biggest department stores ever and still has a great food floor (the two top floors). If you wanna take a short hike, look for Teufelsberg near S Heerstraße, gives you a great view of the skyline although it might be difficult to make stuff out. Also nearby S Messe Nord is the Funkturm (the Eiffel Tower's retarded nephew), haven't been on there lately but if you google it, you might be able to find out if it's still open. Less popular than the TV tower but should also give you a great view. Remains of the Wall can be found at S/U Warschauer Straße, ask for East Side Gallery. U Bernauer Straße not only has the best croissants & amazing coffee at Cafe Du Bonheur but also a tower-ish thing you can climb on to view a portion of the Wall complete with guard tower and everything else. The tower thingy is free! Not sure about the museum but most of that is outside and free too.

edit: Reichstag is near the Brandenburg Gate, be sure to sign up in advance online. It's free but there's lines. Sometimes you'll be able to get in anyway, you have to stand in line to make reservations and sometimes there's still spots open, sometimes you have to make reservations some time in advance. https://visite.bundestag.de/BAPWeb/pages/createBookingRequest.jsf?lang=en

Zwille fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Sep 18, 2013

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
I haven't done it in a few years, but I always recommend a unterwelten tour.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

They just reopened the Funkturm yesterday after a few weeks of maintenance, actually. And while we're talking places with a view, the Siegessäule fits the bill.

UglyMrBurns
May 31, 2013
Also does anyone have any recommendations for a fairly inexpensive German phone contract/SIM only deal?

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Pretty much any prepaid SIM card should be X euros and come with X euros' worth of credits (or maybe a little less than X). X varies from store to store but should be around 10-30. Everyone told me that BASE is really crappy, but people seem happy enough with Vodafone or O2.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

eviljelly posted:

BASE is really crappy
That's because it uses E-Plus' network which is crappy - and many other cheap providers use that, too, so that's something to look out for. Anything using Vodafone's or Telekom's nets are perfectly fine and 02 is okay, too, if you stick to the cities.

In other words: look for which net the SIM provider uses and stay away if it's E-Plus.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Berlin goons, where in town can I find a doner pizza? I've been to plenty of imbisses around Steglitz (and Mustafa's, needless to say) but still haven't found one.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Berlin goons, where in town can I find a doner pizza? I've been to plenty of imbisses around Steglitz (and Mustafa's, needless to say) but still haven't found one.

Do you mean lahmacun or a pizza with the kebab meat on?

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

He woulda found Lahmacun already if that's what he's looking for. Dunno about pizza with actual kebab on it, but I'm sure one of those joint asian-italian-turkish imbisses could whip that up if you ask for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Yeah, I've found plenty of lahmacun/Turkish pizza all over the place. I first found doner pizza while in Potsdam (like an actual pizza crust with cheese and doner strips topped with a Turkish yogurt sauce); I haven't found anything like it yet in Berlin itself, though.

Zwille posted:

He woulda found Lahmacun already if that's what he's looking for. Dunno about pizza with actual kebab on it, but I'm sure one of those joint asian-italian-turkish imbisses could whip that up if you ask for it.

Ah, thanks for the suggestion!