Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SnipeBob
Dec 8, 2006

"You mechs may have copper wiring to reroute your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel."
That's pretty much the problem. There's a lot of cases where you are ambushed at short range by imps, and brutal doom makes that near lethal. AV seems to over-use teleport or sudden wall opening ambushes, Cargo Depot is one example. I find that type of map design aggravating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I can't stand them. I tend to quit any wad that does the 'pull switch, doors open with imps/shotgunners at point blank range' trick.

I'm ok with 'haha surprise!' traps in general, but a lot of those are very lethal if you do know they're coming, if you don't, they're basically guaranteed death, especially in Brutal Doom.

It's hard to find wads that play well in BD, but when you do, they're a ton of fun.

That Ignorant Sap
Nov 20, 2010

YOU AIN'T LOOKIN' AT A
BUNCH OF RHINOS, HERE.
I think it's Alien Vendetta where one level has a switch that opens two walls on either side of it, and like a dozen Revenants come pouring out each side. I could never get past that level without cheating.
The invisible quick-drop wall traps are the worst. Played through the 1 Monster wad, and those were EVERYWHERE. The premise was fun, and could still be, if you didn't walk into the middle of a room and suddenly 8 chaingunners surround you oh gently caress! :supaburn: That drat wad had me quicksaving before entering any new room/hall. Not fun at all after awhile.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Some kind-hearted goon should compile a list of WADs that work best with Brutal Doom, with notes about difficulty levels. That person would hold a special place in my heart forever.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Some kind-hearted goon should compile a list of WADs that work best with Brutal Doom, with notes about difficulty levels. That person would hold a special place in my heart forever.

Seconding.

Also, anyone else feel like Cyberdemons/Masterminds just have too much HP now in Brutal Doom? I like how their attacks are actually kind of threatening to you now, but they tend to take even longer to kill than they did in vanilla, and that seems to go against the general design of Brutal Doom.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

If you are precise in your headshots, both die fairly quickly. Forget about killing the spider demon if you shoot its legs, and chest hits on the cyberdemon take forever as well.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Zombies in Brutal Doom are a little too accurate for my tastes. Zombies in the imp area of E1M1 can hit you in the starting area.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

victrix posted:

If you are precise in your headshots, both die fairly quickly. Forget about killing the spider demon if you shoot its legs, and chest hits on the cyberdemon take forever as well.
For some reason it never even occurred to me to try headshots on the bosses. This should come in handy, thanks!

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Does the BFG get headshots? Or the rocket launcher for that matter?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Rocket launcher for sure (or at least, headshotting the cyberdemon with it seemed to take him down quickly), no idea on the BFG. Someone needs to :science:

bleedbackwards
Jan 13, 2008
weapon finesse: my dong

victrix posted:

I'm not sure you can even kill the Spider Mastermind at all if you're shooting the legs. I've pumped probably 30 rockets into its body and it was still standing. Then I decided to reload and try shooting the brain with the minigun instead and it went down after maybe five seconds of sustained fire.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Changelog for Brutal Doom v0.15c:

- Greatly improved SSG and Plasmagun sprites. (credits to Mike12, and Eriance)
    - Cyberdemon and Mastermind takes more damage from direct impact of rocket attacks (A cyberdemon can die with aprox. 15 rockets)
    - Added more complex rotations for the Player (thanks to David G.)
    - *DIE HARD BUG FIXED* Fixed the bug causing the players to play the pain sound in online games when blood splashes in the screen.
    - Increased plasma ball damage from 4 to 6. Reduced Plasma Rifle's clip size from 100 to 50.
    - Fixed a bug causing head gibs to just explode like if they were shot instead getting smashed when a player steps on it.

- Successfully included all of Devastator's Skins. Now, players can see which weapon the player is using during coop/DM games.
    - Reduced the lenght of trails made by all projectiles to improve performance, plus, Mancubus Cannon is much better to use and it's shoots polutes the screen much less.
    - Fixed a bug causing puffs to spawn decals behind nearby actors without hurting them.
    - Increased BFG ball damage factor from 220 to 300. (can kill Cyberdemons with 3 shoots if you hit the big ball plus most hitscans that comes from it)
    - Fixed a bug that could some times dont show the cracked screen when health is under 20.

So basically, the Cyberdemon and Spider Mastermind are generally more susceptible to weapons and don't require the same level of head-shotting that they required in previous versions. I haven't gone toe-to-toe with either in v0.15, but I figured it's worth the head's up.

bleedbackwards posted:

I'm not sure you can even kill the Spider Mastermind at all if you're shooting the legs. I've pumped probably 30 rockets into its body and it was still standing. Then I decided to reload and try shooting the brain with the minigun instead and it went down after maybe five seconds of sustained fire.

Weapons on the Spider Mastermind's legs do 5% damage, so basically nothing.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Zero Star posted:

For what it's worth, Eurogamer have today posted a retrospective of Doom and discusses the atmosphere it had. They even go so far as to say that it makes Wolfenstein look like a "cartoon shooting gallery".

I know this is slightly a derail but son of a whore I hate your avatar. It just triggers some kind of primal :tviv: reaction from me every time I see it because gently caress Slimers so goddamned hard they are designed specifically to get under my skin as much as possible.

(to the guy who posted an eduke config to get rid of them entirely you are a shiny, golden god)

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Until this thread I had no idea that slimers were so hated.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Download link! :mad:

He really needs a webpage, this mod needs more exposure

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I used to be scared of slimers until I found out that quick kick got rid of them instantly. You can just run into a slimer nest while holding down quick kick and kill them all without getting any damage whatsoever.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

ToxicFrog posted:

Until this thread I had no idea that slimers were so hated.
My posts in this thread should come with trigger warnings.

I'd like to see some kind of mod that replaces them with something cartoony. Like a :woop: smiley or something.

Zero Star fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jan 17, 2012

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

So basically, the Cyberdemon and Spider Mastermind are generally more susceptible to weapons and don't require the same level of head-shotting that they required in previous versions. I haven't gone toe-to-toe with either in v0.15, but I figured it's worth the head's up.

It's like they're reading my mind when they put out these new versions.

The one other thing I REALLY wish they would fix though, the regular shotgun and the assault rifle now look WAY too similar to one another. It's a really minor thing, but it bugs me. :I

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

It's like they're reading my mind when they put out these new versions.

The one other thing I REALLY wish they would fix though, the regular shotgun and the assault rifle now look WAY too similar to one another. It's a really minor thing, but it bugs me. :I

Me too. To a lesser extent, I'm also bugged by the Cacodemon gibs that look like health potions.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

victrix posted:

Download link! :mad:

He really needs a webpage, this mod needs more exposure

Its in the OP.

Where you get the following link to ZDoom forums:
http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=28920
If you do a quick google you'll get the Skulltag thread wich is also valid as both threads have the latest 'public' release.
http://www.skulltag.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=26904

I think this mod is pretty well known already to everyone that likes Doom and is still looking around for new stuff.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Guillermus posted:

Its in the OP.

Where you get the following link to ZDoom forums:
http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=28920
If you do a quick google you'll get the Skulltag thread wich is also valid as both threads have the latest 'public' release.
http://www.skulltag.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=26904

I think this mod is pretty well known already to everyone that likes Doom and is still looking around for new stuff.
In fairness that does not actually link to the 0.15 release. The official thread still only has .14

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Thats because he only updates the threads with 'official' releases and not testing betas.

SnipeBob
Dec 8, 2006

"You mechs may have copper wiring to reroute your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel."
One tweak I'd like to see is smarter switching to the chainsaw/fists. Weapon switching seems slower and it'd be nice if pressing '1' was smart enough to auto switch you to the chainsaw if you don't have a berserk active.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I was actually thinking about exactly that several times when playing it recently - I often instinctively double tap 3 to get out the single barrel, but Doom pays no mind :(

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

So this thing came out: Half-Life Dreamcast, a port of the ill fated Dreamcast version of HL.

All I can tell so far is that it uses the hires models and has different loading screens.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Zeether posted:

So this thing came out: Half-Life Dreamcast, a port of the ill fated Dreamcast version of HL.

All I can tell so far is that it uses the hires models and has different loading screens.

I need an excuse to play Half-Life for the fiftieth time. Thanks for the heads up!

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I need an excuse to play Half-Life for the fiftieth time. Thanks for the heads up!
It can tide you over before Black Mesa Source comes out :)

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Zeether posted:

There was an exclusive co-op campaign in the Dreamcast version, but I can't tell if it made the port.

Also, I think the DC version had minute-long load times.

nahob
Feb 21, 2011

[center]i am invincible[/center]

Vertigus posted:

There was an exclusive co-op campaign in the Dreamcast version, but I can't tell if it made the port.

Also, I think the DC version had minute-long load times.

You're thinking of Decay. I know it was on the PS2 version, but I'm not sure if it was on the Dreamcast. It did make a port though, it came out a few years ago.

http://decay.half-lifecreations.com/

It is also compatible with steam, and it has the mini-game where you run around as a vortigaunt looking for the crystal sample that started the resonance cascade.

RiffRaff1138
Feb 28, 2006

Every single motherfucker thinks they're gonna save the fuckin' world... Why not do something about the shitty economy or whatever instead?! Son of a bitch!

nahob posted:

You're thinking of Decay. I know it was on the PS2 version, but I'm not sure if it was on the Dreamcast.
The Dreamcast version had Blue Shift. That's sort of why Blue Shift is a stand-alone game, actually: For some reason, rather than port the Blue Shift assets to the PC version of GoldSrc, Gearbox ported the Dreamcast version of GoldSrc back to PC and ran Blue Shift through it.

nahob
Feb 21, 2011

[center]i am invincible[/center]

RiffRaff1138 posted:

The Dreamcast version had Blue Shift. That's sort of why Blue Shift is a stand-alone game, actually: For some reason, rather than port the Blue Shift assets to the PC version of GoldSrc, Gearbox ported the Dreamcast version of GoldSrc back to PC and ran Blue Shift through it.

I always thought the Blue Shift / Opposing Force expansions were running on the original Goldsrc engine but with a "HD Pack"

RiffRaff1138
Feb 28, 2006

Every single motherfucker thinks they're gonna save the fuckin' world... Why not do something about the shitty economy or whatever instead?! Son of a bitch!
OpFor does run on the original GoldSrc. It's an expansion for Half-Life, not a stand-alone like BS. And BS came with HD model packs for Half-Life and OpFor, so that's probably what you're thinking of.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I could never get Decay to work on PC. :(

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
I've been messing around with Hexen II again and it's pretty fun. For a 1997 game, the graphics are pretty amazing and the combat is intense on the third difficulty where there are more enemies and less health pickups. Which is good considering most modern shooters keep the number of enemies the same and make you take more damage.

Is it impossible to get the expansion pack at this point? It has better reviews than the original.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

r1ngwthszzors posted:

Is it impossible to get the expansion pack at this point? It has better reviews than the original.

It's up on Steam, last I checked, along with every other Doom-engine release aside from Strife.

They've got some other Raven games up there, so I don't know WHY Strife isn't there.

Edit: Oh yeah, Strife was by Rogue... but they have some of their stuff up on there, too!

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jan 20, 2012

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Dominic White posted:

They've got some other Raven games up there, so I don't know WHY Strife isn't there.
Strife's publisher died shortly after its release, and as a result it's in some sort of weird legal limbo.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

The Kins posted:

Strife's publisher died shortly after its release, and as a result it's in some sort of weird legal limbo.

I assume this is the same sort of reason as to Heretic II being missing from Steam/GoG also. I can't remember whether this was any good or not, just that my impressionable young self was wowed by the graphics at the time.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Heretic II was developed by Raven and published by Activision, so It's in the same boat as the rest of Raven's games, exept for Quake 4 wich was published by Activision but now Bethesda owns the rights because of their ID partnership (ID used to be with Activision aswell).

That doesn't explain why it isn't on Steam or GOG.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
So I just came across the weirdest bug in the Half-Life Dreamcast Mod. I had just beaten the tentacles in the blast pit and was descending into the cave below them. Everything so far has been more or less normal besides for whatever gameplay changes had been made. I load the new map and drop into the opening below, where there is a pool of water and a deck around it with a scientist and security guard's bodies. next to the guard is supposed to be a revolver, since this is the part where you first receive it. It wasn't there, however I just chalked it up to the Dreamcast version wanting players to wait a bit before getting the more powerful weaponry.

I do the puzzle that has you clamoring on pipes above a river of toxic sludge leading to a waterfall. There is a pipe there, and in the normal course of gameplay one must turn a wheel so that the pipe connects with an opening on the opposite wall. For some reason that pipe was already fully extended. I continue on, and where the pipe collapses on you (Shown 12 seconds into this trailer) the pipe was already broken, and the room it leads into already smashed up and the headcrabs presumably killed. Continuing on it appeared all of the Power Up segment was already completed, with the Gargantuan gone and the Railcar missing. It was as if another Gordon had gone in ahead of me and completed everything.

Also for some reason the room I was supposed to fall into looked like it did in the regular game, not like in the trailer. This repeated no matter how many times I reloaded the map. Any idea what's going on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnipeBob
Dec 8, 2006

I've played a handful of WADs with Brutal Doom, and I thought I'd share my experience for those people wondering if a certain WAD is usable with Brutal Doom. I'll add more once I play more WADs, and if anyone wants to chime in with their opinions, please do. These were done on UV difficulty unless otherwise noted.

Retail WADs

- Ultimate Doom: The first three episodes are not overly difficult. The first maps of each episode were the hardest. E2M1 and E4M1 are good examples. Once you get more ammo and weapons, things become easier. Episode four was by far the hardest of the four. Expect a lot of saving/reloading.

- Doom 2: Refueling Base is very difficult due to the amount of zombies. I stopped here out of boredom.

- TNT: Good challenge and completable. I did not attempt the secret levels. The end of level 18 Mill was tricky. You're best off trying to incite monster infighting as much as possible. The cyberdemon fight in level 21 Administration Center is a lot harder because the BD changes to the cyberdemon. Now that he can adjust his aim, you can't circle-strafe a cyber demon in an open area are easily as you could in vanilla.

- Plutonia: Haven't done this one yet. It's next on my list.

Fan made WADs

Note: This was my first time ever playing any of these. You may not have as much trouble as I did if you are familiar with the maps.

- Scythe: Played episode one on UV, and then I had to switch to ITYTD at the beginning of episode two. From then on, it was fun and challenging, especially map 23 onward.

- Scythe 2: Currently running through this on HNTR, and I'm on level 24. No level has given me serious trouble, except for level 21. There is one incompatibility with Brutal Doom however. The two new monsters don't appear, the evil marine and the afrit. Since they replaced the Wolfenstein solider and Commander Keen, BD's overrides of these monsters appears to take precedence over Scythe 2's overrides. I've tried loading the files in a different order, but it doesn't appear to make a difference. Without the custom Scythe 2 monsters, it's probably a little easier.

- Alien Vendetta: I ran through this on ITYTD, and I gave up on level 10. There's a lot of close quarter ambushes with imps and sergeants.