Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

I read this thread a few hours before I caught up on the Manga thread. Low hanging jokes seen unrelatedly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
They totally botched the King Kong Gun scene. :cripes: I'm done, just going to stick with the manga from now on.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I don't read the Manga but I just googled the scene and it looks pretty accurate to me? :confused:

What was it missing, or what did it have added?

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret

SpartanIV posted:

I don't read the Manga but I just googled the scene and it looks pretty accurate to me? :confused:

What was it missing, or what did it have added?

I think it's just the fact that in the manga the King Kong gun looked way cooler. The anime I hated how they reused some stuff from previous episodes to fill in the gaps of Luffy's transformation. Other than that the final hit was ok.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Katamari Democracy posted:

I think it's just the fact that in the manga the King Kong gun looked way cooler. The anime I hated how they reused some stuff from previous episodes to fill in the gaps of Luffy's transformation. Other than that the final hit was ok.

For whatever reason, the animators like to add in filler to make everything look like a struggle when in the manga it was a complete smack down, which sort of ruins the point. Also, the animation at times was completely lazy, like Doflamingo being stock still when falling down.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

For whatever reason, the animators like to add in filler to make everything look like a struggle when in the manga it was a complete smack down, which sort of ruins the point. Also, the animation at times was completely lazy, like Doflamingo being stock still when falling down.

I actually thought it was still a bit of a struggle in the manga (mostly due to the look of exertion/effort on Luffy's face during his closeup as his attack collided with Doffy's) but I can definitely see how most people read it as a smackdown.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

It's like with Caesar, they have him struggle it out instead of the move being an insta one shot defeat. It doesn't even make any sense, all of Luffys moves are based on momentum, when the fist hits people you either block it or you get sent flying, if you're pushing it back his punch loses all momentum and power.

It's be like if they had Zoro using Lion song on Mr 1 but instead of instantly cutting through him he stops in the middle as Mr 1 tries tor repel it and manages to push through. It just makes the character look weaker than they are which goes against what Gear Fourth is, it was supposed to be a form so above Donflamingos power that he has no real answer to it other than to tank as many hits as possible and try to wait it out.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Asuron posted:

It's like with Caesar, they have him struggle it out instead of the move being an insta one shot defeat. It doesn't even make any sense, all of Luffys moves are based on momentum, when the fist hits people you either block it or you get sent flying, if you're pushing it back his punch loses all momentum and power.

It's be like if they had Zoro using Lion song on Mr 1 but instead of instantly cutting through him he stops in the middle as Mr 1 tries tor repel it and manages to push through. It just makes the character look weaker than they are which goes against what Gear Fourth is, it was supposed to be a form so above Donflamingos power that he has no real answer to it other than to tank as many hits as possible and try to wait it out.

I agree. They've been doing that a lot recently. The finishers on Blueno, Lucchi, Buggy, Enel - anyone before the padding really took off - were so much more impactful and fun.
I finally found the time to watch the Episode of Sabo (which exists by the way):
It's basically this arc again sped up with some flashbacks to Sabo as a kid. There's a lot cut out so it doesn't quite fill in for watching the arc, but neither does it add enough to really make it worth watching with this arc still so fresh in memory (/ still going on). Sabo basically just walks around the whole episode, not really doing anything. Still, it definitely shows that this arc would have been vastly improved without the padding. Even the Ussop defeating Sugar the first time scenario I hate so much was actually funny when it's just "Ussop will definitely come through for us!" said *once* and then that scene with Sugar played out. I guess the episode is good for its Sabo flashbacks though, since those were aired a while back.

It's a shame that Rebecca was set up to be this great gladiator and then won a single thing (kind of) and then spent the entire rest of the arc crying and whining. I got really exited when she went to go attack Doffy, but then she just ended up crying more and being detrimental to everyone.
Her and that mermaid princess... what is it with pink hair and crying and being useless in One Piece?

Also it's good to see the events of the two year training arc make appearances. One Piece characters are powered by flashbacks after all. Mostly I want to see how Zoro's training ended, obviously Zoro still needs to defeat Mihawk or he *did* do this, and Mihawk revealed a better swordsman, whom is his new goal. Or something. Brook's story, everyone's story has some details I hope they flesh out later.

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Mar 21, 2016

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Shadow0 posted:

... what is it with pink hair and crying and being useless in One Piece?

Was gonna argue against this by referencing Bell-mére but looks like she has more burgundy than pink hair.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
Finally, the not-so-secret-really-obvious answer to how Oda draws every single female character:
http://kotaku.com/one-piece-creator...dium=Socialflow

Literally as big as their heads.

quote:

Oda, however, added words of caution, saying that if you draw these body types a bunch, it’s necessary to be prepared to receive critical letters from women readers.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
You can skip this week's episode without any consequences. It's just a whole heap of old clips and they say the battle is over. Nothing happens.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Shadow0 posted:

Finally, the not-so-secret-really-obvious answer to how Oda draws every single female character:

Pretty sure this is an old SBS answer. Not sure why they're digging it up now.

But meh, I mean he knows what he's doing at this point and he's not gonna change it. It's disappointing because his older women designs were better but what can we do about it.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Asuron posted:

Pretty sure this is an old SBS answer. Not sure why they're digging it up now.

But meh, I mean he knows what he's doing at this point and he's not gonna change it. It's disappointing because his older women designs were better but what can we do about it.

I agree with that. Personally, I think old Nami looks much better.

But it's just that the way he completely brushes off women readers and their opinions is unsettling. I guess he's making a product for a very specific market (with very specific body preferences I guess?) so that's probably what he's thinking. At least he realizes he draws nothing but that shape.

I really like the guy in the latest episode that managed to find time to make a shirt declaring his love for Lucy while his country was in chaos:

Also, Luffy definitely killed a lot of people with that last punch. Law was right there, but somehow his building survived.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Maybe that guy's girlfriend was called Lucy already and it's just a coincidence?

Agreed on the character designs, original Nami had better proportions. I don't mind the long hair from the redesign, but the rest needed way toning down.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Zark the Damned posted:

Maybe that guy's girlfriend was called Lucy already and it's just a coincidence?

Agreed on the character designs, original Nami had better proportions. I don't mind the long hair from the redesign, but the rest needed way toning down.

I mean, you already have Robin in the crew. It just seems silly to have all women with the same body-type. I'd say you'd think at least some of his fans would appreciate women with some variety to their proportions, but it seems in Japan, "bigger is always better" is the dominant philosophy.

I'd like to see an Oda harem anime - every woman is the same with a different head, haha.

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Mar 27, 2016

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
E: Eh, scratch that.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Mar 27, 2016

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Shadow0 posted:

This makes me really sad :( mostly because I loved Robin's old design and her character. After water7 arc she became Ms Tits galore along with Nami.

Also, in the anime when Rebecca is about to attack Violet (and just before Luffy shows up), the animators decided to do the classical freeze shot but have one thing moving... they decided to have her tits jiggle side to side. You can see it here at ~1:10+:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_QHQ9RdEdA

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Here's an edit someone made of the King Kong Gun scene to be closer to the manga version/more concise:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=nUtmy_a6RTw

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Here's an edit someone made of the King Kong Gun scene to be closer to the manga version/more concise:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=nUtmy_a6RTw

The getting pierced by Doffy's 12 Holy Bullets wasn't in the manga? I actually kind of liked that part.
Reminded me back to this excellent moment:

It's kind of strange to think Luffy already fought a gorilla just as strong as Doffy and won. The fight makes you feel like this is his biggest challenge yet, but apparently not. Though I guess the time constraint does change things a lot (even if it's contrived). I also thought it was funny he needed *exactly* 10 minutes, right down to the second.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Yeah in the manga King Kong Gun just punches through his spikes and web and takes him out in a split second.

Shadow0 posted:

I also thought it was funny he needed *exactly* 10 minutes, right down to the second.
That was unfortunely also in the manga. Really dumb and Oda should know better than that.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Shadow0 posted:

The getting pierced by Doffy's 12 Holy Bullets wasn't in the manga? I actually kind of liked that part.
Reminded me back to this excellent moment:

It's kind of strange to think Luffy already fought a gorilla just as strong as Doffy and won. The fight makes you feel like this is his biggest challenge yet, but apparently not. Though I guess the time constraint does change things a lot (even if it's contrived). I also thought it was funny he needed *exactly* 10 minutes, right down to the second.

Are you trying to say Don Krieg was as strong as Doffy? Because, uh, that's pretty objectively untrue. Don Krieg's big thing was putting up a tough front but being weak at his core without his dirty tricks and bravado as a contrast to Luffy's "spear of will" or whatever Zeff talked about.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Are you trying to say Don Krieg was as strong as Doffy? Because, uh, that's pretty objectively untrue. Don Krieg's big thing was putting up a tough front but being weak at his core without his dirty tricks and bravado as a contrast to Luffy's "spear of will" or whatever Zeff talked about.

He's pretty clearly talking about the gorilla.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="458014938"]
He's pretty clearly talking about the gorilla.

Oh, the gorilla in the flashback with Rayleigh? Derp, I didn't think of that. You're right. I thought he was using it as a metaphor. :downs:

That was a really bizarre detail. How can a gorilla be on the same level strength-wise as Doffy, one of the top-tier Shichibukai? Even with the Strong World plant buffing up the animals, the Straw Hats didn't have too much issue with the animals in the Strong World movie and Shiki was supposed to be strong enough to handle the animals at least. It just still seems like a really weird way of skewing the power scale in the One Piece world.

At least Mihawk's apes were only as strong as pre-time skip Zoro and Mihawk was still clearly on a scale far beyond his islands animals (a cut above the rest, you could say :v:).

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Mar 29, 2016

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Luffy was on a totally different island than either of those two islands, one that was in the calm belt. Also the island seemed to have gone through at least a couple rise and falls of civilization, so he was fighting a super planet of the apes King Kong by way of old school Conan the Barbarian comic ancient jungle gorilla.

I do like that his answer is to just punch it with a bigger fist though. It's the simple things that make up Luffy's repertoire.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Gyges posted:

Also the island seemed to have gone through at least a couple rise and falls of civilization, so he was fighting a super planet of the apes King Kong by way of old school Conan the Barbarian comic ancient jungle gorilla.

This sentence took me like 20 reads to parse.

Gyges posted:

I do like that his answer is to just punch it with a bigger fist though. It's the simple things that make up Luffy's repertoire.

I remember when I first started watching and they broke out the rocket, pistol, and bazooka in such rapid succession I thought Luffy was going to run out of new moves way too quickly. Was pleasantly surprised.

Also, yeah, Luffy took down a man that fought with Rodger (Shiki) without even haki and also almost an ex Marine admiral (Z). Crocodile was taken down without haki or even Gear Second. The Kraken was a legendary super sea creature, but it was dwarfed by some chumps and their casual mounts. The power levels are really all over the place. Buggy sailed the Grand Line, but was taken down crazy easily by Luffy. (Side note: Buggy also managed to get himself stuck in East Blue, needing a map to go to the Grand Line for some reason [especially strange considering his cowardice; he knows exactly what's out there]).

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Shadow0 posted:

Sorry. The Ape Luffy was talking to Raleigh about was like

plus

plus

plus

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Shadow0 posted:

I remember when I first started watching and they broke out the rocket, pistol, and bazooka in such rapid succession I thought Luffy was going to run out of new moves way too quickly. Was pleasantly surprised.

Also, yeah, Luffy took down a man that fought with Rodger (Shiki) without even haki and also almost an ex Marine admiral (Z). Crocodile was taken down without haki or even Gear Second. The Kraken was a legendary super sea creature, but it was dwarfed by some chumps and their casual mounts. The power levels are really all over the place. Buggy sailed the Grand Line, but was taken down crazy easily by Luffy. (Side note: Buggy also managed to get himself stuck in East Blue, needing a map to go to the Grand Line for some reason [especially strange considering his cowardice; he knows exactly what's out there]).

Good thing the fights with Shiki and Zephyr were in non-canon movies, then! I agree that the win against Shiki in particular was bullshit, but the way Luffy beat Don Achino and Byrndi World was also bullshit.

Buggy was only a cabin boy on Roger's ship; Roger presumably had some number of random weak people on his crew, just as everyone who isn't Luffy or Shanks seems to.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Mar 30, 2016

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

That was a really bizarre detail. How can a gorilla be on the same level strength-wise as Doffy, one of the top-tier Shichibukai? Even with the Strong World plant buffing up the animals, the Straw Hats didn't have too much issue with the animals in the Strong World movie and Shiki was supposed to be strong enough to handle the animals at least. It just still seems like a really weird way of skewing the power scale in the One Piece world.

If you can accept that a human, when shounen-ifed to the max. can beat the poo poo out of a real gorilla easily, why is it so hard to believe that a shounen-ified gorilla would be a big deal strength wise considering I don't think a real world human could ever punch out a real world gorilla?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Rohan Kishibe posted:

If you can accept that a human, when shounen-ifed to the max. can beat the poo poo out of a real gorilla easily, why is it so hard to believe that a shounen-ified gorilla would be a big deal strength wise considering I don't think a real world human could ever punch out a real world gorilla?

Just thinking in-universe, why doesn't the World Government enlist a gorilla for Shichibukai then? It'd probably be more reliable than an independently-minded former Celestial Dragon.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Oh, the gorilla in the flashback with Rayleigh? Derp, I didn't think of that. You're right. I thought he was using it as a metaphor. :downs:

At least Mihawk's apes were only as strong as pre-time skip Zoro and Mihawk was still clearly on a scale far beyond his islands animals (a cut above the rest, you could say :v:).

You could just assume Doflamingo's severe internal bleeding that his impromptu surgery didn't really fix long-term was a factor. Plus, it's likely that Luffy midtraining wasn't as strong as he is now.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

You could just assume Doflamingo's severe internal bleeding that his impromptu surgery didn't really fix long-term was a factor. Plus, it's likely that Luffy midtraining wasn't as strong as he is now.

Also, the gorilla doesn't have broken abilities like Bird Cage and Parasite.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I've just caught up on the last five episodes and I enjoyed them quite a lot. Luffy's solution of just making his fist even bigger was pretty funny and kept with his character really nicely. RE: Boob chat, it's probably as big a reason as "it takes 100 or so episodes to really get going" as to why I hesitate recommending One Piece to people.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Hey now, it only take 30 episodes for One Piece to get going.

100 episodes is when the show hits it's stride.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

This week's episode ruled extremely hard. Getting to see what was happening with the Gorosei as well as the Eleven Supernovas was very interesting! I won't say more than that until other people get a chance to watch it. Also next week's episode is about Sabo's past after the Bluejam incident.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Okay, so I did watch the latest episode and had a question:

I watched it on Crunchyroll and sometimes they let grammar/typo errors slip through in their subtitles. When Akainu talks to the Gorosei and asks them if "[Doflamingo's false report] was by those above you people," is he saying that there's some conspiratorial shadowy cabal with even greater power and authority than the Gorosei? Could he be referring to the Celestial Dragons directly? Or is this a translation error?

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

I watched it on Crunchyroll and sometimes they let grammar/typo errors slip through in their subtitles. When Akainu talks to the Gorosei and asks them if "[Doflamingo's false report] was by those above you people," is he saying that there's some conspiratorial shadowy cabal with even greater power and authority than the Gorosei? Could he be referring to the Celestial Dragons directly? Or is this a translation error?

Akainu was asking them if it was on instructions from "further above", yes.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

darkgray posted:

Akainu was asking them if it was on instructions from "further above", yes.

It makes sense since the Celestial Dragons have a direct, intimate connection with Doflamingo and are quite literally above the law in every respect.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

So the Gorosei are beneath the Celestial Dragons? Also I am guessing the old woman is who was on the boat but did anyone recognise the guys voice or is it someone new?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

EmmyOk posted:

So the Gorosei are beneath the Celestial Dragons? Also I am guessing the old woman is who was on the boat but did anyone recognise the guys voice or is it someone new?

(Manga spoilers)

The people on the boat are Tsuru and Sengoku.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

EmmyOk posted:

I think it's kind of unclear. His line certainly could be interpreted as him suggesting that there is a people / group of people higher than the Elder Stars (which seems sort of likely, it feels like the Celestial Dragons have greater power than anyone in the World Government itself) but it could also be interpreted as Akainu sarcastically asking "do you expect me to believe the order came from above you, [the highest authority in the world]?"