Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

I caught my first snakehead today. I removed the hook and it angrily walked back into the water :stare:

Then I caught its mate, and after a brief fight it bit right through my line :stare: :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Enigma posted:

I caught my first snakehead today. I removed the hook and it angrily walked back into the water :stare:

Then I caught its mate, and after a brief fight it bit right through my line :stare: :stare:

Hah, they are some tough fish. Where in the country are you?

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

bongwizzard posted:

Hah, they are some tough fish. Where in the country are you?

Yeah, no kidding. I've caught a lot of types of fish, mostly saltwater, but until today never caught anything that just got pissed off at me. I'm in South Florida.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
We finally got a bluefin tuna

This was just a sub-10kg school fish but we hooked up and lost some much bigger fish, including one which we got next to the boat before it dragged the line into the prop and got away

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Baby killer.

Looks delicious!

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Fishing Bass in 15 feet of stained water. Ned rig or Senko with with bright color like pink?

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
Senko with bright color is how I would roll. I usually use chartreuse or pumpkin with red or gold flake for ~super sparkles~.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

gay picnic defence posted:

We finally got a bluefin tuna

This was just a sub-10kg school fish but we hooked up and lost some much bigger fish, including one which we got next to the boat before it dragged the line into the prop and got away

That is some excellent looking fish. I would love to find some tuna, but from what I've read they got hugely over fished down here decades ago and have all but disappeared. Where are you located?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

hamsystem posted:

Senko with bright color is how I would roll. I usually use chartreuse or pumpkin with red or gold flake for ~super sparkles~.

I did. I lost a 2lber on the pull into the boat! They only seem to be snapping at super sparkly bright stuff and also watermelon. They love watermelon.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Enigma posted:

That is some excellent looking fish. I would love to find some tuna, but from what I've read they got hugely over fished down here decades ago and have all but disappeared. Where are you located?

This was caught at Apollo Bay in Victoria, but there's been reports of them all along the coast from Port MacDonnell to offshore from Melbourne. There certainly aren't as many as there used to be but the numbers are on the improve since they started effectively managing the fishery and introducing quotas for the commercial operators so I don't feel bad catching them.

It tasted fantastic as steaks seared and served medium rare with a bit of lemon and chili sauce, you literally cannot buy southern bluefin in Australia because it is worth so much in Japan that 99% of it gets loaded onto planes and flown straight to Tsukiji market

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

my first fish. baked trout with lemon.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
Missed the same fish 3 times today. I only assume it was the same because it was in the same 2' area Slapped at my buzzbait, ran with my wacky worm I had as a quick easy reaction meal for that specific scenario, then after about 5 minutes of retying my leader to braid (got an interesting knot retrieving out of a tree in hardcover trying to get too ), ran with it again almost to the boat. He wasn't a big guy, and after the 1st worm I didn't want to set the hook too hard as I saw him flash about 15ft out.

Going to a "lake" that I haven't been on in almost 20 years tomorrow. My dad used to fish there exclusively and we never had much luck, but we honestly never fished much variety outside of soft plastics and spinner baits. I have gotten some confidence in my square bills and the set up I have for them. I can chuck that poo poo accurately for miles.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

Cumslut1895 posted:

I read this after catching up in the gif thread and was waiting for a cat to grab it or something. Looks delicious and congrats on your first fish!

I'm planning on picking up one of these at the beginning of July. I have access to some decent sized ponds and small lakes and I don't need a full sized boat. Also planning on expanding my bait selection a lot more this year. I've used Texas and wacky rigged worms, lizards, and crawfish almost exclusively for a long time and while I've caught a lot of fish on them, I'd like to expand my repertoire a bit. My tentative plan is to pick one or two new baits and throw only those on that particular day. Should be a fun learning experience if nothing else.

hamsystem fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jun 12, 2017

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.
Made the most of Michigan DNR's free fishing weekend and canoed down Michigan's Au Sable River from Alcona Dam to Cook Dam. 3 days on the water and unfortunately didn't catch any trout but I did catch a few good size walleye and smallies:

Cumslut1895 posted:

Delicious and I'm super jealous. Nicely done.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Bangkero posted:

Made the most of Michigan DNR's free fishing weekend and canoed down Michigan's Au Sable River from Alcona Dam to Cook Dam. 3 days on the water and unfortunately didn't catch any trout but I did catch a few good size walleye and smallies:

How well do the orange skittles pass as trout eggs?

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.
about as well as when I use twizzlers as wacky worms. :v:

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!
Any recommendations on combos for bass fishing from a kayak? The only rods I currently own aren't really suitable, ultralight 4-5' rods for trout and 10-13' steelhead and salmon rods. I'm guessing I want something in the 6-7' range, maybe medium action, probably stick with spinning for now. Just looking for something lower end right now til I find what I like, maybe in the $50-70 range.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

hamsystem posted:

My tentative plan is to pick one or two new baits and throw only those on that particular day. Should be a fun learning experience if nothing else.

I did the same thing starting this past winter. Before that I was almost exclusively soft plastics.

I suggest starting with spinnerbaits. Easy to fish, useful in a bunch of different conditions, a great hook up ratio, and surprisingly snag resistant.

I am loving this guyfor jigs and spinnerbaits. I bought a few of his 3/8 oz compact ones and I am still using the first one I tied on. It's caught dozens of bass and is still going strong. The lure comes out to around 1/2oz total weight, so a wide range of rods can throw it.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
Ooh nice. Those prices are pretty reasonable for handmade stuff. I'm gonna bookmark it, thanks. I've actually fished with spinnerbaits quite a bit. If I have a spinning pole with me I love throwing beetle spins and rooster tails. I definitely need to throw more jigs. And I've caught a bunch on jerk baits and Zara Spooks. Pretty much any of the usual suspects bass lures I've used at one point or another. I've just fallen into a routine over the last 5 or so years of fishing where I'll just throw plastics all day. I have some chatterbaits sitting in the cart on tackle warehouse which I've never used before and I think I'm gonna order some shaky head stuff too. Tackle got me like :retrogames:

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

dms666 posted:

Any recommendations on combos for bass fishing from a kayak? The only rods I currently own aren't really suitable, ultralight 4-5' rods for trout and 10-13' steelhead and salmon rods. I'm guessing I want something in the 6-7' range, maybe medium action, probably stick with spinning for now. Just looking for something lower end right now til I find what I like, maybe in the $50-70 range.

You can probably get by with an ugly stik combo until you decide what you want to move up to.

I don't kayak fish, but from shore I use a medium action 7' Skeet Reese spinning combo I got for like $70 from Dick's Sporting Goods. The rod is way nicer than it should be at that price, but the reel is utter garbage and feels like it came out of a gumball machine. I'll probably replace the reel soon when I angrily hurl it into a pond while untangling yet another wind knot.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

dms666 posted:

If you want to go baitcast I just bought an Abu Garcia Black Max and a 7' Daiwa AirdX from Academy for $80 for the set. It's a surprisingly nice setup for the money and it's decently lightweight. If you're wanting spinning, then an ugly stik with a Shimano sienna would probably do you well too.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

hamsystem posted:

Tackle got me like :retrogames:

The Bait Monkey is real and he's strong and he's my friend.

But yea, all of Siebert's stuff is great. If you want to give chatterbaits a go he makes a great one for far cheaper then the Zman ones.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

bongwizzard posted:

The Bait Monkey is real and he's strong and he's my friend.

But yea, all of Siebert's stuff is great. If you want to give chatterbaits a go he makes a great one for far cheaper then the Zman ones.

Fuuuuuuuck. I lost 5 fish yesterday in an hour. Hooksetting on a canoe with a swivel on your line is a bitch.

But I found a perfect fishing spot! It has bent trees dipping into the water, submerged logs, and plants shading it. Also fish only eat green watermelon and black with blue flake senkos. I'm convinced.

Gumbel2Gumbel fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jun 14, 2017

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
And lo did Gary Yamamoto descend from upon high and he handed to me a stick of material most malleable and of little ornamentation and he said "Take this, the senko, my most perfect creation, a weapon of both dark and light, life and death, and place upon it the rig of Texas less the burden of weight, or the rig of wacky if ye be so bold!" And it was good.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

hamsystem posted:

And lo did Gary Yamamoto descend from upon high and he handed to me a stick of material most malleable and of little ornamentation and he said "Take this, the senko, my most perfect creation, a weapon of both dark and light, life and death, and place upon it the rig of Texas less the burden of weight, or the rig of wacky if ye be so bold!" And it was good.

Senkos are amazing but delicate and pricey. BPS Stik-o's catch fish almost as well. I caught a lot last year on them. This year I can't set a fuckin' hook to save my life.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
I use a couple different types of Zooms and Big Bite trick sticks mostly. I don't even know if I have any actual name brand Senkos in my tackle box. I picked these up on sale awhile back. I'm gonna try then out this weekend.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

hamsystem posted:

"Oh also that will be $0.75 per".

I never really fish senkos as I lack the patience to use them correctly but I am trying. I culled almost all the knockoffs from my collection, I wanna get the real ones figured out first before I dabble in the others. I do fish 4" Ochos a decent bit in small streams but for some reason a 5" senko seems to snag a ton more for me.

I had some good luck this weekend pitching a fat ika into pads, got way better hookups then I expected. The new heavy rod is nuts, like I cannot believe how easy it is to get it fish up on top with this thing.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Hey all, I got a new spincast reel as I'm getting back into fishing after like a 10 year break. In the first cast I think a gear seized up and the reel arm wont make a full rotation. Any ideas or am I being a moron? Figured this would be a good place to ask.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

bongwizzard posted:

"Oh also that will be $0.75 per".

I never really fish senkos as I lack the patience to use them correctly but I am trying. I culled almost all the knockoffs from my collection, I wanna get the real ones figured out first before I dabble in the others. I do fish 4" Ochos a decent bit in small streams but for some reason a 5" senko seems to snag a ton more for me.

I had some good luck this weekend pitching a fat ika into pads, got way better hookups then I expected. The new heavy rod is nuts, like I cannot believe how easy it is to get it fish up on top with this thing.

If the fish are there they will bite it. I never bottom fish them, I just fish and retrieve with a couple shakes. If I'm in a good spot (like yesterday) it gets bit constantly. I had 5 hookups and a couple more bites in an hour, and I'm a lovely fisherman.

I think the fish see the drop and your just have to give it a few flicks while pulling it at mid-level through the water.

I've only had one struck at once in the top of the water. My braid gets bit every day at the waterline though.

If nothing is biting in my area but I can see bites nearby I can't throw at I'll do some casts where I ripple it on top of the water and the action seems to bring fish to the area.

Oh I figured out my issue I think! I'm using a wacky tool! It changes the position of the hook 90 degrees! I bet that's it.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Telsa Cola posted:

Hey all, I got a new spincast reel as I'm getting back into fishing after like a 10 year break. In the first cast I think a gear seized up and the reel arm wont make a full rotation. Any ideas or am I being a moron? Figured this would be a good place to ask.

You may have better luck with replies if you included photos or at least make/model. I doubt many here use spincasters (assuming you mean one of these), but I and probably others are used to detail stripping reels any may be able to help.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
These are my go-to "senkos" which is just the catch-all term we use for soft stick baits. My routine is usually to put on a pumpkin seed with red or gold flake and if I don't get a bite in the first 10-15 casts I'll hit it with some scent and do another 10-15 casts. If that doesn't get anything I'll switch over to one of these in chartreuse and repeat the same process. If I don't get something by then, I'll throw something with more action like a brush hog or lizard, but my success rate with just the"senkos" has been pretty high. It might just be the lakes I fish or something but it's almost boringly predictable. I'm bringing some new stuff to try Saturday, but I'll be using old reliable to find the fish first.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Oh I figured out my issue I think! I'm using a wacky tool! It changes the position of the hook 90 degrees! I bet that's it.

Something my dad does that may help is instead of using an O-ring he uses either 1/4" pieces of a drinking straw or clear tubing and uses a leather hole punch to make a hole in it. He puts that over the worm like you would the O-ring but he runs the hook through the holes in the tube and the worm (hopefully that makes sense). It helps save the bait and might help with hooksets.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

hamsystem posted:

Something my dad does that may help is instead of using an O-ring he uses either 1/4" pieces of a drinking straw or clear tubing and uses a leather hole punch to make a hole in it. He puts that over the worm like you would the O-ring but he runs the hook through the holes in the tube and the worm (hopefully that makes sense). It helps save the bait and might help with hooksets.

Huh. That's just crazy enough to work! I tried double crossing the O rings to make an X and put the hook through that but it's too much tension on the worm and you can't get the hook through without starting a tear in the worm.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
It's honestly kind of brilliant in its simplicity.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Yea, a wacky senko is undeniably a super effective lure presentation and works most of the time I try it, but for some reason I never use them.
Every time I t-rig one the urge to work it like a fluke becomes overpowering, so I usually switch to a fluke pretty quickly.

My wife is out of town for work and I am on animal duty, so the daily fishing is on hold for a few weeks. I will give the old wacky worm a go again when I can.

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I have messed round with o-rings and using two and crossing them lets you get the hook back to being perpendicular to the worm.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

bongwizzard posted:

Yea, a wacky senko is undeniably a super effective lure presentation and works most of the time I try it, but for some reason I never use them.
Every time I t-rig one the urge to work it like a fluke becomes overpowering, so I usually switch to a fluke pretty quickly.

My wife is out of town for work and I am on animal duty, so the daily fishing is on hold for a few weeks. I will give the old wacky worm a go again when I can.

I have messed round with o-rings and using two and crossing them lets you get the hook back to being perpendicular to the worm.

Yeah but like I said, it's such a strong pinch putting a hook in there cuts into the worm which wears it faster. Even a Trokar isn't fine enough.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

bongwizzard posted:

Post some images of your wacky rig. WA bass fishing is heating up.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Not my pic, but this is how I do it, except that I run the hook through the worm a little to make it even more secure.

About a month ago I picked up three packs of the classic 5 inch watermelon with red flake senko on a buy two get one free sale at like Dicks or something. I'm going to give them a solid try with no o-rings, no aquarium tubing, just a regular exposed hook right through the middle and just see what my catch rate is like. If I can make them work that I will start messing around with the cheaper alternatives and more esoteric rigging methods.

It's a weird hang up on my part, as I said before, I use the 4" Ocho worms pretty often but for some reason the 5 inch worms just give me endless trouble.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
The X with the o-rings across the middle is vital

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
This;

Is a weedless rigging that I read about and have had some luck with. It does remove any hope of getting more than one fish per worm.

This is my current senko kit. It used to be a in a 3600 box but I wanted to downsize and focus on the basics. The non-senkos are Biospawn stick baits. They have a nice wiggle but I have never caught anything on them. They are gonna get replaced with more senkos in a bit.