Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

How did the dating girls thing work originally in Yakuza 3, some sort of hostess minigame with affection levels? I'm assuming that randomly picking them up in Japanese McDonalds wasn't the original vision.

The same as Y4, I think. I haven't played Y3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Crappy Jack posted:

Defeating Amon at the end unlocks tiny model prototype mockups of the Tower, which you can throw at opponents to create a giant explosion, obviously.

There's a bomb hidden inside of the mockup of the towers and it's going to be used in some kind of assassination, so you have to take it and throw it into the sea before it blows up and kills your boss

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Captain Novolin posted:

It was brand new in 1, and Saejima has a throwaway thing about how it's new, so it shouldnt be there, but what was there before can still explode.
You have to commit domestic terrorism and explode whatever building is there so they can build it there.
Then the ghost of the old building curses the Tower to explode in every game afterwards.

Unit24
Jan 31, 2015

Hey kids! Do you want to be as AKOOL as me?
Is Yakuza 2 supposed to have a little bit of input lag? Because it's making the QTE's pretty much impossible, and the combat feels a bit slower than it probably should.

I really, really wish they'd just give us the HD versions already. If the games are already translated, what's stopping them?

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Captain Walker posted:

Saejima and Kiryu can equip all guns, Akiyama can't equip any, and Tanimura only carries a gun to taunt with. But Crappy Jack is correct.

For a man who slaughtered a bunch of people in a shooting and regrets about it he sure is eunthusiastic about shooting more people.

gyrobot fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Feb 1, 2015

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Unit24 posted:

Is Yakuza 2 supposed to have a little bit of input lag? Because it's making the QTE's pretty much impossible, and the combat feels a bit slower than it probably should.

I really, really wish they'd just give us the HD versions already. If the games are already translated, what's stopping them?

All modern HDTV's will give a certain amount of lag, if yours has a 'game mode' or something similarly named make sure it's turned on, though that still won't eliminate it completely.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Unit24 posted:

Sega doesn't like good ideas.

I'm genuinely curious, how much money it would have cost to localize 1&2 HD compared to how much it cost to port 1&2 HD to the WiiU, and how well sales for a localized version of 1&2 HD for the PS3 would have done compared to that WiiU port. I'm not saying it was an either/or situation or anything, but it kinda feels like they could have done one smart thing and decided to do a dumb thing instead.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I can't say for sure but I have to assume porting to a new system is much more expensive than implementing an already complete localization. It was a dumb move and it bit them in the rear end, I don't think that's even arguable.

That said I don't think a Yakuza 1/2 HD port would do very well in the west. But, like, surely it's not a huge cost since as mentioned they already have complete localizations for both games. Like if this was a PC series fans would have done that poo poo for free.

Unit24
Jan 31, 2015

I feel like Yakuza HD would have been a better test of interest in the series than 4 and Dead Souls. You'd think people would be more inclined to try improved versions of the first two games in the series, rather than try a game with a big 4 at the end with no prior knowledge of the series.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Really didn't need two 'run away from the ugly drag queen' side stories. :(

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Sakurazuka posted:

Really didn't need two 'run away from the ugly drag queen' side stories. :(
You've seen only two?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ugh.

Uh-oh, looks like the evil Chinese just turned up. :ohdear:

Unit24
Jan 31, 2015

I really wish I could look up Yakuza 5 gameplay without being showered in spoilers. I search Yakuza 5 Combat on Youtube, and the third video from the top is of the final boss. And a lot of the others were other boss fight spoilers.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Unit24 posted:

I really wish I could look up Yakuza 5 gameplay without being showered in spoilers. I search Yakuza 5 Combat on Youtube, and the third video from the top is of the final boss. And a lot of the others were other boss fight spoilers.
The combat isn't that much different than 4's, except I guess that's when they started adding double finishing attacks...or was that in 4? My memory of 4's game mechanics is pretty vague, which I hope to rectify starting tomorrow.

Unit24
Jan 31, 2015

Samurai Sanders posted:

The combat isn't that much different than 4's, except I guess that's when they started adding double finishing attacks...or was that in 4?

They added those in 3, actually. I just want to see the new features and animations.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I'm at chapter 4 in Yakuza 4, and Akiyama sure seems to have a problem with women and/or people who AREN'T irresponsible fuckwits.

"You mismanaged your father's business into bankruptcy? And you're male? I'll give you three chances to pass one of my tests, and when you fail I'll give you a job as president for a company, then curl you into making the "correct" choice, then lend you 5 million".

"You, as a male nerd, squandered all your money trying to woo a hostess? I'll buy you expensive clothes and give you dating tips!"

"You, attractive woman, spent way money than you could possibly afford? I'll give you a million to use as you see fit and then stalk you for the rest of the day! Then pay off all you debts because you managed to not waste a whole million the first day."

"You took your kid and ran away from your abusive husband and want a couple hundred thousand to stay afloat? Go get a job in the red light district! BOOTSTRAPS."

"You are attractive! You will work in my hostess bar and date me! It's not like you have a choice anyway."

At least he takes out his long-suffering secretary for some karaoke from time to time.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Jesus, this loving infodump with the politician dude. :suicide:

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Jesus, this loving infodump with the politician dude. :suicide:

This type of thing happens a lot in Yakuza.

It's almost similar to how Metal Gear Solid is.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Got my shiny new PS3 all set up yesterday and digging into Yak 3.

-Man, that golf minigame is better done than most golf games out there.

-Just how old is Kiryu anyway? From 2 he seemed in his mid 20s but everyone here calls him "ossan"

-The level of detail in the game, even if the graphics aren't top of the line nowadays, is incredible

-Thank goodness for having camera control in the city

-People taking damage that would kill a normal person resulting in them sheepishly apologizing to you in the next cutscene will always make me laugh

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Got my shiny new PS3 all set up yesterday and digging into Yak 3.

-Man, that golf minigame is better done than most golf games out there.

-Just how old is Kiryu anyway? From 2 he seemed in his mid 20s but everyone here calls him "ossan"

-The level of detail in the game, even if the graphics aren't top of the line nowadays, is incredible

-Thank goodness for having camera control in the city

-People taking damage that would kill a normal person resulting in them sheepishly apologizing to you in the next cutscene will always make me laugh

Yakuza 0 - 20 years old

Yakuza 1 - 27 years old / 37 years old

Yakuza 2 - 38 years old

Yakuza 3 - 40 years old

Yakuza 4 - 41 or 42 years old

Yakuza 5 - 43 years old

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Feb 4, 2015

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Skeezy posted:

This type of thing happens a lot in Yakuza.

It's almost similar to how Metal Gear Solid is.

At least in MGS usually something interesting is happening in the cutscenes, not three dudes sat in a room for 25 minutes.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

At least in MGS usually something interesting is happening in the cutscenes, not three dudes sat in a room for 25 minutes.

True.

I'm pretty sure the whole sitting around talking about Yakuza stuff is a part of Yakuza cinema thing. Haven't seen that many Yakuza flicks.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Skeezy's got a good timeline in there, but yeah, remember, Kiryu spends a decade in prison for a crime he didn't commit at the beginning of Yakuza 1, so he's easily pushing mid-30's by the time the game begins. Fortunately, we're not dealing with your usual 15 year old spiky haired enthusiastic protagonist here.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

The teenage protagonist was reserved for the PSP spinoffs, but from what I've seen that kid is a budding psycho who could make Majima proud someday.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Policenaut posted:

The teenage protagonist was reserved for the PSP spinoffs, but from what I've seen that kid is a budding psycho who could make Majima proud someday.

Does he show up in Yakuza 5 at all?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Sakurazuka posted:

At least there aren't many cutscenes like that in the Yakuza series. And nothing is as bad as that chapter in MGS4 where after a long briefing you have 10 minutes of walking down a street, a 5-minute chase, and a boss fight, and all that somehow takes two hours because of "the plot".

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Skeezy posted:

Does he show up in Yakuza 5 at all?

I don't think he does, no. Black Panther is kept separate from the main series as far as I know.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
With Yak4, I assume Yak5 is the same along with Ishin, Sega are doing current-generation consoles right

PS3 - 720p30
PS4 - 1080p60

Ishin isn't the prettiest but Yak4 hurts the eyes after 100+ hours of Ishin PS4. Gonna be a long time to get used to. Step up, western developers.

(also Yakuza 4 is pretty great, quickly re-lit my love for yakuza flicks)

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Feb 4, 2015

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Policenaut posted:

Just has a weird relationship with his dad. There's no booze in the PSP games and the reward for the hostess quests is a smooch.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I just started playing my first Yakuza game (4) because it's free and how much gameplay does this have? It seems like after spending a little over 2 hours with it all I did was fight 3 times, play the crane game, and the rest was spent watching a Yakuza movie.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Overbite posted:

I just started playing my first Yakuza game (4) because it's free and how much gameplay does this have? It seems like after spending a little over 2 hours with it all I did was fight 3 times, play the crane game, and the rest was spent watching a Yakuza movie.
I think my final save was like 65 hours, and maybe 3 of that was cutscenes.

Think of it as a JRPG, where a bunch of the story dump stuff is very front-loaded.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I guess they front load it

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I played for 2h34m until getting to the point where the ability to save the game opens up :haw:

Ishin's cut-scene to gameplay ratio makes it look like MGS4 compared to this.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Playing a Yakuza game in English is kind of weird, after playing them in Japanese for ten years or whatever.

Also, the first conversation between Akiyama and Kido is still probably the most confusing conversation in the entire series, even in English. It's a hell of a weird way to start a game that is primarily about beating people up.

edit: for the rape comment, I still have no idea if it was a badly executed joke about her being able to clobber her attackers, or a really loving crass fat joke. Akiyama never says anything else like it for the whole rest of always. Basically, same as Yakuza 3 with its weird orphanage stuff, 4 starts with some weird poo poo that never appears anywhere else in the series.

edit: 5 kinda does too. I guess it's traditional for the series now.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Feb 5, 2015

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Renoistic posted:

I'm at chapter 4 in Yakuza 4, and Akiyama sure seems to have a problem with women and/or people who AREN'T irresponsible fuckwits.

"You mismanaged your father's business into bankruptcy? And you're male? I'll give you three chances to pass one of my tests, and when you fail I'll give you a job as president for a company, then curl you into making the "correct" choice, then lend you 5 million".

"You, as a male nerd, squandered all your money trying to woo a hostess? I'll buy you expensive clothes and give you dating tips!"

"You, attractive woman, spent way money than you could possibly afford? I'll give you a million to use as you see fit and then stalk you for the rest of the day! Then pay off all you debts because you managed to not waste a whole million the first day."

"You took your kid and ran away from your abusive husband and want a couple hundred thousand to stay afloat? Go get a job in the red light district! BOOTSTRAPS."

"You are attractive! You will work in my hostess bar and date me! It's not like you have a choice anyway."

At least he takes out his long-suffering secretary for some karaoke from time to time.

For the first one he emphaphize with thr guy. He has a chance to avoid the same mistakes as he did and saw the same fire as he did after getting the money back. At that point it was an unofficial apprenticeship and he learns how to be wiser in starting a business from ground up.

Second one was getting rid of competition that made her into a gold digger in hopes of paying it off. She had hoped to marry a rich man and make him pay off the debt and live it easy. When she realize she never had the spirit to stoop to gold digging she passed her test.

The nerd needs serious help figuring if it was his looks or personality that need work. He learns looks only got him so far and Akiyama needed to coach a hostess in how to be less of a self centered woman who had been pushing certain guys and made the nerd feel so insecure. He had patronized his joint for five years and was loyal to her but felt he was never able to connect.

For Lily. Akiyama told us straight. He wants to know if he was right in backing Arai as Kamurocho's new ruler. The date was a way to see if he can trust her.

Any time Akiyama asks for you to find work at a hostess club, chances are they already need to find another person or at least find safety in someone else who actually contributes to making ends meets directly. The loan test in dead souls where the girl works as a hostess aside from Lily he learns the guy was a deadbeat mooch and seen a lot of girls in the same rut. And also highlights that he is tough but fair.

Akiyama's story is about his linger self doubts and ability to trust in people. If he has to throw some outlandish trials. That's his choice

Also Akiyama makes three cameos in Kurohyou. He is the rival for the bonus hostess' affections once you enter the datibg phase as well as appearing at Asia when you beat down enough drunken guests and occasionally stopping by Kyushu No 1 for noodles

gyrobot fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Feb 15, 2015

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Overbite posted:

I guess they front load it

Yeah, it mellows out once the game opens up and you're free to do whatever. There is a lot of text and cutscenes in Yakuza games, but not quite on the level of a Final Fantasy or something.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Overbite posted:

You say this like it's a bad thing :). Free yakuza movie, crane minigame and some fights. What else can be manlier as a start of a game!?

As the others said, it's not really bad afterwards, not nearly like MSG.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

gyrobot posted:

The nerd needs serious help figuring if it was his looks or personality that need work. He learns looks only got him so far and Akiyama needed to coach a hostess in how to be less of a self centered woman who had been pushing certain guys and made the nerd feel so insecure. He had patronized his joint for five years and was loyal to her but felt he was never able to connect.

This one was one of those weird disconnects with reality because the way she's behaving, as a hostess, is literally her job, it's what a hostess is supposed to do to milk as much money as possible for the club.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

This one was one of those weird disconnects with reality because the way she's behaving, as a hostess, is literally her job, it's what a hostess is supposed to do to milk as much money as possible for the club.

Certain guys like people who could connect with them. Miki became so detached between her clients that when the nobody nerd left for seemingly greener pastures it hurt her confidence. It fits Akiyama's ideals perfectly of goving what people want. Not a silver bullet jackpot his clients thinks about.

Also the next RGG protag needs to drop the infamous "triggerman but not the killer." device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Akiyama's apparently bogus charge of coercion seemed completely factual to me. What would you call requiring that a woman date him in order to get a loan if not coercion?

• Locked thread