Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

teagone posted:

As an aside, I also love the Roku boxes. They're great front-end clients for Plex. I just wish the Playstation Vue channel would use the more modern Roku channel design language or something similar instead of the ugly as poo poo Gen1 Roku channel UI.

Same. I'd probably take the plunge and cut the cord if the Vue interface on Roku was better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nifty
Aug 31, 2004

I have a new Roku 2. The remote distance is really lovely, like at 8 ft I'm lucky if it tracks my input. I have replaced the batteries, and cant think of anything else. Any suggestions?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Nifty posted:

I have a new Roku 2. The remote distance is really lovely, like at 8 ft I'm lucky if it tracks my input. I have replaced the batteries, and cant think of anything else. Any suggestions?

They're out of stock at the moment, but you could get the point-anywhere Roku Enhanced Remote: https://www.roku.com/accessories In the meantime, assuming you have an Android tablet/phone or iOS device, you could use the Roku app to control your Roku 2 instead.

Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.roku.remote&hl=en

iOS: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/roku/id482066631?mt=8

Nifty
Aug 31, 2004

Oh yeah forgot about the app, thanks.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I'd also exchange it if you can. You shouldn't be getting that lovely of a range.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I have an old Roku 2 with the same short range problem. You also have to aim it directly at the box and the box has to be aimed at you or it doesn't work. But I have remote issues in my house that I haven't been able to solve, even with RF.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

wormil posted:

But I have remote issues in my house that I haven't been able to solve, even with RF.

Poltergeists?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

5th dimensional beings manipulating gravity I bet.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Roku has remote issues. I bought two 2016 sticks when they came out and exchanged one twice because the remote sucked rear end. I wouldn't have known they could be better if the other one wasn't just fine. Amazon's return policy is great.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 220 days!)

The only Roku I've ever had a remote issue with was the Roku (first ugly black box edition). I've owned a 1.5, (XD), 2, a 3, and now a Premier, and they've all worked ticky-boo.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Anyone using the fire stick 2 ? Is it worth the upgrade?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Has anyone here tried the Mi Box? Saw it yesterday at Walmart and almost picked it up. I've got a Roku 3, First Gen Fire TV, Fire Stick, and Nvidia Shield, and I can't really justify getting another one, but it's so tempting for $69, especially with a Sling TV rebate.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Silly Burrito posted:

Has anyone here tried the Mi Box? Saw it yesterday at Walmart and almost picked it up. I've got a Roku 3, First Gen Fire TV, Fire Stick, and Nvidia Shield, and I can't really justify getting another one, but it's so tempting for $69, especially with a Sling TV rebate.

How the gently caress many TVs do you have

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

TheScott2K posted:

Mr. Silly B, he's so serene, He's got a t.v. in every room.
Another Shitpost Valley Sunday :v:

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

TheScott2K posted:

2 main ones (living room, our bedroom). Most of the boxes I've gotten were discounted for trial offers or Black Friday deals. I ended up putting the Shield TV in the living room to test Android TV with the family. So far, so good, and the Shield works nicely with a Harmony One.

We've already determined that we don't like the current Amazon interface (thus the Fire devices are stored away), but I am curious to see what the revamp looks like in use. The Roku is our favorite interface, but some of the apps look like rear end.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Silly Burrito posted:

]The Roku is our favorite interface, but some of the apps look like rear end.

Then forget anything Android. Their launcher wrapper isn't going to do everything, and I've got a predecessor product, and I dumped it within a month because it was annoying as hell with the memory issues (really, having to request a huge chunk of RAM, then release it, just so I could watch Netflix HD?). This is probably quite a bit more polished, but I always return to Roku, too. (Just gifted the folks a Premier- sitting on my 3.)

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Silly Burrito posted:

2 main ones (living room, our bedroom). Most of the boxes I've gotten were discounted for trial offers or Black Friday deals. I ended up putting the Shield TV in the living room to test Android TV with the family. So far, so good, and the Shield works nicely with a Harmony One.

We've already determined that we don't like the current Amazon interface (thus the Fire devices are stored away), but I am curious to see what the revamp looks like in use. The Roku is our favorite interface, but some of the apps look like rear end.

You are going to really hate any off-brand poo poo that runs Android (or modified Android TV, even) then.

The Shield is the best Android TV box. If you really have to have Prime Video on a streaming box and don't want a pain in your rear end then the FireTV or Roku is it. It really doesn't get any better than those 3 today.

Personally I use a Shield TV for everything and the craptastic, but usable, Prime Client my Sony TV has when I want to watch the Man in the High Castle or whatever.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Ixian posted:

You are going to really hate any off-brand poo poo that runs Android (or modified Android TV, even) then.

Xiaomi is not some off-brand company, haha. The Mi Box, from what reviews I've read/watched, is a solid performer at the $70 price point. Only issue with it is 4K UHD playback, which its hardware is totally capable of, but at the moment it drops frames. According to one reviewer, that can be fixed with an eventual system update apparently. It's basically an Nvidia Shield Lite that already comes with a remote with voice search.

[edit] Here's the review for anyone interested:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wxTy_QW52U

teagone fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Nov 7, 2016

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
So I got a new router and modem. Now Vue thinks I'm always outside of my home network. No matter how many times I follow their direction of logging out, starting the app on the ps4 and then logging into the mobile app... no luck.

Any ideas?

Wifi only tablet won't work either. Mobile restricted... grrr

Krime fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Nov 7, 2016

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

teagone posted:

Xiaomi is not some off-brand company, haha. The Mi Box, from what reviews I've read/watched, is a solid performer at the $70 price point. Only issue with it is 4K UHD playback, which its hardware is totally capable of, but at the moment it drops frames. According to one reviewer, that can be fixed with an eventual system update apparently. It's basically an Nvidia Shield Lite that already comes with a remote with voice search.

Thanks for that review. It kind of solidifies my thought that if we do like Android TV more than Roku long term, I'd be better off just getting another Shield. If it drops to $99 for Black Friday, I'd be hard pressed to turn it down. Now that you can sideload an Amazon Prime app on it, it has all the major services I'd want.

I think I have a sickness, and it's buying TV gadgets.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
http://variety.com/2016/digital/news/directv-now-channel-list-leak-1201909846/

So the rumor is (And Variety is pretty reliable) a free Apple TV for 3 months of service at $35 or a free FireTV Stick for 1 month and that AT&T is planning on running the service as a loss leader (Obviously since an Apple TV costs $45 more than three months of service).

So if you were thinking about switching to Sling or Vue you might want to hold off a little bit.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Cable by another name.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

teagone posted:

Have you actually used one? People have been spouting positive reviews of cheap Android streaming boxes for years, they are all good except for the one or two things that in reality make them not good but software could fix it except that never happens because a $70 box that isn't a gateway to long-tail subscription services is something a company throws out on the market and forgets about. How much time you think they are really going to put in to a box that nets them maybe $10 a sale?

In the meantime the Shield TV just works, and works great, and continues to improve because nVidia is invested in its success for a number of reasons, not the least being it's a leader for their power-efficient Tegra line. So, buy the proven supported thing and stop worrying about whether you spent $100 or so more for your box that plays the actual media that used to be expensive and now costs next to nothing.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I prefer Roku boxes personally. But anyways, the Mi Box is Xiaomi's first product to be shipped and sold stateside. We could be seeing more of their products come to the US relatively soon. I hope that's the case, because a lot of their stuff looks great. And no, I don't own any of their products personally, but Xiaomi's international division is headed up by Hugo Barra, former VP of Android. I'd say that instills a bit of confidence that the company isn't some generic Chinese hardware OEM whose devices are a dime a dozen abandonware. If you go the Xiaomi site, you'll see there's some solid craftsmanship and build quality in their products.

teagone fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Nov 7, 2016

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

TheScott2K posted:

Cable by another name.

still cheaper so who cares

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://www.engadget.com/2016/11/08/playstation-vue-drops-all-viacom-channels/

Deal breaker for me.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Internet TV is crumbling. Didn't Comcast SportsNet drop Vue support too?

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
Is there any way to watch showtime live via Hulu?

Specifically the Colbert special that will be airing live at 11pm. Not a regular show that just gets added to the service when it premieres.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Yeah, same. Time to get a Roku and get a Sling account.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

You guys sure do love your pregnant teenagers.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

jabro posted:

You guys sure do love your pregnant teenagers.

Comedy Central alone kills it for me. That's one of the only channels I would even want a TV for.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Or we have kids and losing Nick channels is always a deal breaker.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

The American Dream posted:

Is there any way to watch showtime live via Hulu?

Specifically the Colbert special that will be airing live at 11pm. Not a regular show that just gets added to the service when it premieres.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/linear/791339

I haven't found a way to do it in an app. You can stream that across chromecast but YMMV on quality.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

So anyone have a Roku Ultra or Premiere+ yet? Was debating grabbing one.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
We have a Premiere+ and are enjoying it over the early gen Roku 2 we had before.

As an aside, the fixed channel buttons are really stupid. I've tried googling for ways to either reprogram or just disable them. I get that their presence helps lower the cost of the remote but...rdio doesn't even exist anymore.

Any pointers to solutions?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

You could buy a $50 7" Amazon Fire tablet and use it exclusively as a Roku remote, heh. It'll likely go down to $35 again for Black Friday too. Maybe cheaper.

Bipolar Transistor
Feb 21, 2016

I said a flip, flop, the hippie the hippie to the flip flop flop, you dont stop the rock it to the bang bang boogie say up jumped the boogie to the rhythm of the boogie, the beat

teagone posted:

You could buy a $50 7" Amazon Fire tablet and use it exclusively as a Roku remote, heh. It'll likely go down to $35 again for Black Friday too. Maybe cheaper.

They're like $30 if you get one from the warehouse. There's even a "Nexus 7" workalike ROM you can flash to get rid of Heir Bezos.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Don't need to flash a ROM if the tablet is going to just be used as a Roku remote since the app is available in the Amazon Appstore. Even then, I consider just side-loading the Google Play Store onto Fire tablets to be a better route than flashing a custom ROM.

Bipolar Transistor
Feb 21, 2016

I said a flip, flop, the hippie the hippie to the flip flop flop, you dont stop the rock it to the bang bang boogie say up jumped the boogie to the rhythm of the boogie, the beat

teagone posted:

Don't need to flash a ROM if the tablet is going to just be used as a Roku remote since the app is available in the Amazon Appstore. Even then, I consider just side-loading the Google Play Store onto Fire tablets to be a better route than flashing a custom ROM.

Having dealt with the various FireOS library incompatibilities for awhile, I'd rather have as close to AOSP as possible, but to each his own. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

My Roku Ultra will be coming on Saturday. I'll let you guys know how it goes.