Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

maxnmona posted:

In my defense, I was a teenager and I regret it now, but I do have a strong understanding for overbearing fans, even if they are still overbearing.

It was not Tara. (Wasn't even buffy)

I'm laughing imagining it was a character from Dollhouse, now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

TheJoker138 posted:

I'm laughing imagining it was a character from Dollhouse, now.
I immediately imagined him being incensed over the tattoo-face guy who got kicked into a jet engine in Firefly.

Now I'm actually cheered up (it's been a rather bad day) at the thought of some random guy who's just PISSED to this day that the guy didn't get some character development.

Also, Maxnmona, I've followed WtNV since the beginning, when the thread was first posted in GBS, and it's amazing how far you guys have come with this. I was one of the early anti-weather crowd (and for anyone new to the concept, what changed my view on it entirely was someone suggesting that they ARE actual weather reports done via interpretive song, which is awesome) and seriously, WtNV is one of my favorite shows these days, every bit as much as anything on television or cinema. You guys have brought a lot of enjoyment to a lot of people, be very very proud because you've created something really good.

Also, the control room in my recording studio is decorated in WtNV posters. Sometimes my late-night recording sessions get really, REALLY weird and I blame this on you guys.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me
I love that night vale has a huge fan base and can't stand a lot of the people who make it up. The "really rude on Twitter" comment is hilarious given the piles of rudeness directed at the writers. It really is best summed up by Joseph's tweet about reactions not being the responsibility of the writers.

I think the fact that it's a podcast makes fans feel more entitled than if night vale was a television series, or comic books, or novels. Podcasts are still on their way to being recognized as a legitimate art form. I believe night vale is pushing the medium forward in a really wonderful way. But I'm sure a lot of people don't recognize the level of talent and work that goes into making something like this and lump it with what makes up a lot of works in that medium: hobbyists with an internet soapbox. There's a lot of access the cast and writers have allowed their fans, which is laudable, but it's kind of been abused by entitled jerks.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Look Under The Rock posted:

I love that night vale has a huge fan base and can't stand a lot of the people who make it up. The "really rude on Twitter" comment is hilarious given the piles of rudeness directed at the writers. It really is best summed up by Joseph's tweet about reactions not being the responsibility of the writers.

I think the fact that it's a podcast makes fans feel more entitled than if night vale was a television series, or comic books, or novels. Podcasts are still on their way to being recognized as a legitimate art form. I believe night vale is pushing the medium forward in a really wonderful way. But I'm sure a lot of people don't recognize the level of talent and work that goes into making something like this and lump it with what makes up a lot of works in that medium: hobbyists with an internet soapbox. There's a lot of access the cast and writers have allowed their fans, which is laudable, but it's kind of been abused by entitled jerks.

If you think that TV creators, comic creators, novelists, musicians etc. don't have fanbases full of entitled pricks I'm not sure what internet you've been using, but I'd like to go there.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

TheJoker138 posted:

If you think that TV creators, comic creators, novelists, musicians etc. don't have fanbases full of entitled pricks I'm not sure what internet you've been using, but I'd like to go there.

Not that he's exactly a voice of sense and calm reason himself, but track down Xenogenesis by Harlan Ellison sometime, if you can. It's an essay he wrote in 1990 or thereabouts about how horrible certain elements* of SF fandom had been over the years to him and to many different authors of his acquaintance. It culminates with an account of someone attacking Alan Dean Foster with a glass full of carefully-collected warm vomit at a convention.

Bear in mind that he wrote this when the internet was still very much in its infancy, to the extent that it existed at all, and that these were anecdotes he'd collected from authors' experiences over the course of their careers. Where there are things to be fans of, there are fans. And where there are fans, there are terrible fans. This has almost certainly always been the case.

Ellison was very clear, in his introduction to the version of the essay that ran in Asimov's, which is the one I read when I was but a young'in, that he wasn't speaking of, or to, the vast, vast majority of fans. He observed that 95% or so of the people who read the essay would become mortified and feel guilty about their own behavior, and that those people almost certainly had no reason to feel bad. It's the other 5% who were totally oblivious to their horrible behavior that were the problem, and they almost certainly wouldn't get clued in by anything he wrote.

Likewise, I'm sure that 95% of the fans of Welcome To Night Vale, even the young and awkward and overenthusiastic and frankly a little strange ones, are lovely people who want nothing more than to express their enthusiasm to the world.

The internet does unfortunately function as a magnifying glass hooked up to a megaphone for that other, horrifying 5%.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Look Under The Rock posted:

Podcasts are still on their way to being recognized as a legitimate art form. I believe night vale is pushing the medium forward in a really wonderful way.
I look at it a little differently than you, I don't consider WtNV as having done anything new or revolutionary (there are several other quite good serial podcasts, tho none have the same consistency in writing and pacing) but rather it's helped more than any other podcast to help revitalize the audio dramatization (which, as an old person) has always been one of my favorite forms of entertainment.

Does anyone else remember 'Seeing Ear Theater' produced by Sci-Fi that had it's own channel on Sirius?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I don't really see how a podcasts are a separate "art form" from radio shows at all really, the form of the content itself is basically identical, the only major difference is the means of broadcast/distribution which does not really need to effect the content.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

Earwicker posted:

I don't really see how a podcasts are a separate "art form" from radio shows at all really, the form of the content itself is basically identical, the only major difference is the means of broadcast/distribution which does not really need to effect the content.

Even though they're both audio, they actually are pretty different. The on-demand nature and variable length allows you to do stuff like create long form arcs that must be listened to in order, or release multiple episodes at once that are meant to be listened one after another.

It's like the difference between magazine and internet writing. Both words, but internet writing just lets you do different stuff.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Every time I have to explain podcasts to someone who don't listen to them, I usually say It's like radio but all the shows are about stuff you actually care about.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

iostream.h posted:

I look at it a little differently than you, I don't consider WtNV as having done anything new or revolutionary (there are several other quite good serial podcasts, tho none have the same consistency in writing and pacing) but rather it's helped more than any other podcast to help revitalize the audio dramatization (which, as an old person) has always been one of my favorite forms of entertainment.

Does anyone else remember 'Seeing Ear Theater' produced by Sci-Fi that had it's own channel on Sirius?

I'm a youngish person (<30) and I love discovering those old radio shows being revived as podcasts. "Candy Matson," "The Shadow," and Vincent Price's "The Saint" loving rule.

I feel WTNV's the bastard child of those serial adventures they used to print in magazines and those old detective radio shows minus the uncomfortable period-typical racism.

The podcast is pretty hard to explain to new people and I usually quote the thread's title or Cecil's first public service announcement about alligators when trying to describe it. I also mention the almighty GLOW CLOUD and Rod Sterling's "The Twilight Zone." I've gotten three other people to start listening to it and dragged them all to a live show so I guess I'm doing okay?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

dragon_pamcake posted:

The podcast is pretty hard to explain to new people

When I was at the live show in Minneapolis, I heard a couple of ushers talking before the show. The conversation was broadly, "So, is this a TV show or something?" "Not exactly..."

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Kor posted:

That was in regards to the first crossover show back in March. According to the TAH twitter, the recording was lost, which is why it was never released.

The most recent one at SDCC was successfully recorded and will be released, though no date has been given yet.

Did the recent version of the crossover use the same script? Or was it completely different?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
I miss Seeing Ear Theatre.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I think I've discovered one of Night Vale's sister towns. (Other than Nulogorsk, or course).

Seems like a nice place to live.

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Don't you fear the yetis in Rio?

Yvonmukluk posted:

I think I've discovered one of Night Vale's sister towns. (Other than Nulogorsk, or course).

Seems like a nice place to live.

I saw this from knowyourmeme.com and spent a good part of a work day looking at the posters and listening to the audio they posted. I am looking forward to the book and what ever else the Scarfolk Council produces.

Yeah they could really be Night Vale's sister city: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrHBZ69AKDg

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
Oh, and where will the recording of the NVA/TAH crossover be uploaded? If it's uploaded as a normal podcast, which podcast will it be in? Both, with patches of static forcing listeners to listen to both and maybe stitch them together, as per my suggestion? Or someone else's suggestion, where one podcast has it and the other just tells the listener where to look for it and then has the same length of time of a fly buzzing around a hot mic?

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Aug 14, 2014

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
I apologize for the tumblr link but this outtake from Episode 51 needs to be shared.

http://octoberspirit.tumblr.com/post/94571605311/oh-my-god-im-sorry-xd

Thank god I was home alone. I laughed loudly enough to scare the dogs.

I think I like the sassy version of Carlos better.

EDIT: Definitely NSFW.

tom bob-ombadil fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Aug 15, 2014

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

BooDoug187 posted:

I saw this from knowyourmeme.com and spent a good part of a work day looking at the posters and listening to the audio they posted. I am looking forward to the book and what ever else the Scarfolk Council produces.

Yeah they could really be Night Vale's sister city: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrHBZ69AKDg

I was looking forward to the book until I found out I'd have to order it from the UK and then it was tempered a bit.

Ghost-Slug
Feb 21, 2011

Feeding Tigrex
one Hunter at a time

Lipstick Apathy
Regarding today's new episode, Pamela Winchell continues to be the best. I was hoping she wouldn't fade away gracefully from the day-to-day of Nightvale and I was glad to have those hopes answered. Also, a little more on the Man in the Tan Jacket. I wonder what the connection is between those two? This isn't the first time he's convinced her to do something she seemed adamant not to.

On a side note, the way Cecil talked so gleefully about the illegality of presenting Earl Harlan's cooking tips on air was hilarious. Never change, Cecil. :allears:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Man, Maureen can't catch a break, can she?

Dark Grapefruit
Jun 3, 2006

All cans are welcome and equal in your city, regardless of can content, and whether empty or full.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Man, Maureen can't catch a break, can she?

I hope she just lands safely, walks all the way back home, and shows up a few episodes from now even surlier.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
It's weird just hearing Cecil's voice after the deluge of guest voices in the anniversary.

Stop being such a douche, Carlos! I was also hoping Maureen was saying "Daniel" instead of "Pamela". That would have been a hell of a twist.

Snowdog79
Jul 18, 2007

Things are more like they
are now than they ever were before.
Just submitted one of my band's songs for the weather....fingers crossed!

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Little Reporter's Book of Big-Boy Note Taking :3:

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
Was picking up a pizza a few months ago, listening to Night Vale on my headphones, and when I took them off to talk to the cashier I heard that they were listening to the show on the store speakers.

Not the same episode, but it was still something.

Action Yak
Nov 9, 2008

In my horror lit class we'll be listening to a few episodes on Wednesday. Good to know that my teacher is as big of a nerd as I am. :3:
We'll also be reading John Dies at the End which is completely unrelated but still "thing I associate with the internet in my classroom" weird (the author is a writer on the Cracked website, which I still like despite how everyone here hates it).

Edit: We didn't have time; presumably we'll listen to it another day.

Action Yak fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Aug 21, 2014

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Thank you for the new title text inspiration, Night Vale Radio twitter!

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Action Yak Police posted:

In my horror lit class we'll be listening to a few episodes on Wednesday. Good to know that my teacher is as big of a nerd as I am. :3:
We'll also be reading John Dies at the End which is completely unrelated but still "thing I associate with the internet in my classroom" weird (the author is a writer on the Cracked website, which I still like despite how everyone here hates it).

Edit: We didn't have time; presumably we'll listen to it another day.

Don't worry, John Dies is pretty loving great. If I'm not mistaken, I thought there was a goon consensus on this. Also, there's a movie that's less great but understandably so. Pretty much suffers from book-to-film syndrome exacerbated by being cheaply made. That said it does well with what it has but only really work well as a companion to the novel.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Don't worry, John Dies is pretty loving great. If I'm not mistaken, I thought there was a goon consensus on this. Also, there's a movie that's less great but understandably so. Pretty much suffers from book-to-film syndrome exacerbated by being cheaply made. That said it does well with what it has but only really work well as a companion to the novel.

But it does have Paul Giamatti Giamattiing things up!

Genuine Fake
Oct 2, 2004

Action Yak Police posted:

(the author is a writer on the Cracked website, which I still like despite how everyone here hates it).

I believe he's actually a head editor, and I think John writes for cracked as well...

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
Joseph and Jeffrey have been saying some interesting things about tonight's episode on Twitter, commenting on the amazing cast and how "it's the most unusual episode they've ever done."

Boy howdy, that's saying something. Can't wait!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Anything short of Scherzo-level weirdness is underwhelming to me but I'm always excited for new Night Vale anyway.

HEY MAXNMONA CALL UP ROB SHEARMAN SOMETIME!

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Ho. Lee. poo poo.

Way to mix things up and keep it fresh! That was totally unexpected and awesome.

I love Michelle Nguyen!

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

No Tamika Flynn? My disappointment is manifesting as a slightly damaged first edition of Tolstoys War and Peace.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

So that was pretty excellent.

Obviously the Steve Carlsburg monologue is going to get a lot of attention, and deservedly so, but I thought the Faceless Old Woman bit was amazing. Also really liked the Michelle Nguyen bit, to the point where I don't want to say much because it will sound like I'm damning it with faint praise and it deserves better than that.

I love that Steve literally sees the world as a giant conspiracy wall.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

docbeard posted:

I love that Steve literally sees the world as a giant conspiracy wall.

Oh man I didn't even pick up on that. Brilliant.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
That's a way better reason for Cecil to hate Steve than that "Steve is a bad father" nonsense.

Silentman0 fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Sep 2, 2014

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
This one was great. I wanna hear more from the folks at Dark Owl Records, Chad's probably a one-off joke but it had such an impact on the Faceless Old Woman that maybe it'll build to something, and Steve... oh, Steve.

Steve's the best.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

I think Chad was summoning a smiling god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Silentman0 posted:

That's a way better reason for Cecil to hate Steve than that "Steve is a bad father" nonsense.

But that's still what's happening, it's just that Steve being the only person who's actually aware of what's going on and how weird it is and trying to explain that counts as being a bad parent in Night Vale. The best part is, there's hints of this really early on, way back in Season 1, when Steve writes in about how the government couldn't be behind something and Cecil just loses his loving mind about it